Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hustle & Flow

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I watched this over the course of this week. Excellent movie. I loved every minute of it. Great performances and great music.
Old 01-15-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Padrino
My mom's a big fan of film, but I can't envision her really digging this one and I'd imagine people like her would be the same way.
Can this movie appeal to everyone? Is a pig's pussy pork? I think if anyone puts aside their preconceived notions about what a rapping pimp movie is going to be and would just watch the film, most of them will be blown away.

And as for your mom (or anyone's mom...or dad etc.) Sit her down and have her watch it. Like I said earlier in the thread, my mother isn't into hip hop culture, pimps or the like, but we saw Hustle & Flow TWICE in one day because it was THAT good... and still to this day, she cites it as her favourite movie of 2005...

MATT
Old 01-15-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Can this movie appeal to everyone? Is a pig's pussy pork? I think if anyone puts aside their preconceived notions about what a rapping pimp movie is going to be and would just watch the film, most of them will be blown away.

And as for your mom (or anyone's mom...or dad etc.) Sit her down and have her watch it. Like I said earlier in the thread, my mother isn't into hip hop culture, pimps or the like, but we saw Hustle & Flow TWICE in one day because it was THAT good... and still to this day, she cites it as her favourite movie of 2005...

MATT
My grandmother wouldn't like it. Guaranteed. So no, it can't appeal to everyone.

-JP
Old 01-15-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
This movie is a good movie and is better than 8 Mile in my opinion. I blind bought it on dvd and was not disappointed one bit.
Old 01-15-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000

MATT
I'm sure this would be the case. We've got this thing where I try and introduce her to a show or movie and she initially resists, yet when she finally caves, she winds up loving it, sometimes moreso than me. Getting her hooked on Aqua Teen Hunger Force was my crowning moment, but getting her to sit down and watch (and surprisingly really enjoy) White Heat was the most recent. She hates James Cagney, but even she couldn't put up a front about how good it was.
Old 02-16-06, 08:35 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
I just watched this last night, and I was also very impressed. While the ending was
Spoiler:
upbeat, it was still pretty grounded. It isn't like we saw him on MTV Cribs or anything (is that show still on?).

Some of the dialog (like the BLT line) was a little goofy, but overall it didn't bother me much.
Old 02-17-06, 11:39 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
My grandmother wouldn't like it. Guaranteed. So no, it can't appeal to everyone.

-JP
yeah, but is a pig's pussy pork?
Old 02-18-06, 05:50 AM

Yeah, but we man.
Old 02-18-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
This movie is a good movie and is better than 8 Mile in my opinion. I blind bought it on dvd and was not disappointed one bit.
8-mile is a 100 yard dash compared to this movie.
Old 02-24-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Finally saw this today.

Ordered this today on PPV and I'm on my 3rd viewing of it since it's on all day. Not a perfect film, but damn is it addicting!
I've praised T-Howard enough on this board so I might as well talk about the supporting cast. All the girls really are great and, like others, was surprised by Anthony's performance. As well as his character's wife played by Elise Neal. I'm just not used to seeing a married couple like that in a movie!

Even though I'm not a fan of today's rap, the simple crunk-like tunes heard in this flick are enjoyable to me. Wonder how this will be handeled at the Oscars! The DVD will soon be mine.
Old 02-24-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally watched this last night. Thanks Columbia House! And it was pretty much as great as I thought it would be. I had high expectations and it surpassed them. Much stronger than 8 Mile. One of things I liked is how they made the homemade studio but the movie didn't brag about how they did it. Great performances all around. I first saw Terence Howard in Crash and it's amazing how he pulled off 2 completely different roles perfectly.
Old 02-26-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
[QUOTE=PopcornTreeCt]I finally watched this last night. Thanks Columbia House! And it was pretty much as great as I thought it would be. I had high expectations and it surpassed them. Much stronger than 8 Mile. One of things I liked is how they made the homemade studio but the movie didn't brag about how they did it. Great performances all around. I first saw Terence Howard in Crash and it's amazing how he pulled off 2 completely different roles perfectly.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to see him win the Oscar for his performance in Hustle & Flow. He's a great actor and I feel he did an excellent job as DJ.
Old 02-26-06, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
It would be nice to see him win the Oscar for his performance in Hustle & Flow. He's a great actor and I feel he did an excellent job as DJ.
D-Jay, mang, D-Jay.