Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Aristocrats

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw it tonight. A bit underwhelmed, but it was still worth the price of admission.

-JP
Old 08-29-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At our theater, tonight we had the busiest night for this - with seven tickets sold.

All day.

AH, suburbia...
Old 08-29-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw it tonight, thought it was great... BUT...

I agree with the editing comments above. I was hoping for some full versions of the joke from these comedians like Gilbert Gottfried and Saget (which was probably the most irritating version with all of the interruptions). Gottfried's version wasn't particularly funny compared to the rest of the movie (semen and feces and vomit... oh my!) and would've been at the very least interesting if shown in it's entirety (including the 9/11 stuff - at that point, nobody who's left in the theater is going to get offended by anything). I can understand it's relevance but it fell flat and came off as, like Matthew Chmiel said: a big mutual masturbation fest.

I can understand the quick-cutting which might've helped the down-time in their delivery while they were trying to think of more stuff to say. But it did come off as annoying blown up on the big screen... especially when the picture is a cropped version of an original 4:3 image (I believe).

^Also thought that they could've cut down the introduction to 5-10 minutes. I even walked in a few minutes late and I still got tired of them building it up.

I also think that the movie fell victim to one of the rules of the joke which was mentioned (can't remember who, maybe Carlin or Reiser)... "don't start with fucking and shitting, start with peeing so you have something to build up to." A lot of the paler, less interesting jokes near the end kind of brought the movie down, especially if your starting off the movie with big guys like Carlin doing their own naturally nasty versions. IMO, as the movie went on, it wasn't about how nasty or shocking you were, but how creative you were with the words and descriptions... ringing true to comedy in general.

With the few gripes aside, I still laughed my ass off and got a huge kick out of the wide variations of versions - even to the point of changing the joke. I will definitley pick up the DVD in hopes for longer uncut scenes... and just a chance to memorize some of the interpretations for my friends.
8/10

Last edited by MasterCXtreme; 08-29-05 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-29-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Here's a good version of the joke:

Spoiler:

"So I say to the talent agent that we have this act, and it's a family act and the agent goes, 'No, we don't book family acts,' but I say to him that he really needs to see our act. He agrees. So, myself, my wife, my five-year-old son Johnny and my seven-year-old daughter Susie -- plus our dog Rex -- all line up and begin dropping trou. Almost instantly, my cock is rock hard and at its full fourteen inches. This is too much for my daughter Susie as she runs over and begins sucking on it. Pretty fucking good for a seven-year-old. My wife starts blowing the dog as my son puts three fingers up my ass -- no lube! Then he shits into his hand, shoves his shit up my ass, and gets his whole arm up there. Susie is still blowing me, and my ass is so lubed from little Johnny's shit, that she does a reach-around and gets her little arm up there, too. So, both of my children are shaking hands in my ass!

Then, the dog comes in my wife's mouth and she goes and spits it all over the kids' hair. I bend down -- still with their arms up my ass -- and begin sodomizing Rex. My wife takes turns licking each kids' cute little assholes. My giant cock is really hurting the dog, and he's bleeding pretty bad, so I tell little Johnny to come and fuck the dog for a while. He can get these real cute little hard ons -- takes after his old man. Now I begin butt-fucking my daughter, and even though my cock's bigger than her arm, it slides right in her well-worn ass. So, I pull my cock out, put it in my wife's ass, and then fist my daughter's ass. That gets her bleeding real good. There's blood all over the floor from Susie's ass and the dogs ass, and my wife is on all fours -- my cock in her ass -- licking it up.

Then, my wife goes to her purse and pulls out this fetus she miscarried a while back. Me and little Johnny get to work on shoving it back up her ****. We only put it halfway in -- as was the plan -- and I put little Johnny up on the talent agent's desk. He then jumps off the desk and onto my wife's stomach which blows the fetus out of her ****. Meanwhile, my daughter is standing about ten feet from my wife, bent over and with her ***** spread as wide as her little hands can spread it. You should see her. Little Johnny's a pretty good shot, and the head of the fetus goes right into Susie's ****. I go to pull it out, but the body shlubs off, so there is now a small corpse head stuffed up my daughter's **** and a little spine hanging out of her. I grab the spine and begin swinging her around my head as my wife and son begin eating the dog. I then chuck Susie onto the guy's desk.

So, the talent agent says, 'That's a hell of an act you got there, Senator Santorum. What do you call it?'

The Conservative Republicans!"
Old 08-29-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
Saw it tonight, thought it was great... BUT...

I agree with the editing comments above. I was hoping for some full versions of the joke from these comedians like Gilbert Gottfried and Saget (which was probably the most irritating version with all of the interruptions). Gottfried's version wasn't particularly funny compared to the rest of the movie (semen and feces and vomit... oh my!) and would've been at the very least interesting if shown in it's entirety (including the 9/11 stuff - at that point, nobody who's left in the theater is going to get offended by anything). I can understand it's relevance but it fell flat and came off as, like Matthew Chmiel said: a big mutual masturbation fest.

I can understand the quick-cutting which might've helped the down-time in their delivery while they were trying to think of more stuff to say. But it did come off as annoying blown up on the big screen... especially when the picture is a cropped version of an original 4:3 image (I believe).

^Also thought that they could've cut down the introduction to 5-10 minutes. I even walked in a few minutes late and I still got tired of them building it up.

I also think that the movie fell victim to one of the rules of the joke which was mentioned (can't remember who, maybe Carlin or Reiser)... "don't start with fucking and shitting, start with peeing so you have something to build up to." A lot of the paler, less interesting jokes near the end kind of brought the movie down, especially if your starting off the movie with big guys like Carlin doing their own naturally nasty versions. IMO, as the movie went on, it wasn't about how nasty or shocking you were, but how creative you were with the words and descriptions... ringing true to comedy in general.

With the few gripes aside, I still laughed my ass off and got a huge kick out of the wide variations of versions - even to the point of changing the joke. I will definitley pick up the DVD in hopes for longer uncut scenes... and just a chance to memorize some of the interpretations for my friends.
8/10
About the editing ... I wonder if hearing the entire jokes from all of the people who told it "straight" would be anticlimactic after awhile, since the joke itself is a shaggy dog story whose punch line isn't really the point. Just about all of the jokes that were played through to the end had some sort of twist to them ... Sarah Silverman, Steven Wright, the card trick, Billy the Mime (brilliant reading of the punch line, by the way).

I would still like to hear unedited versions of all of the jokes, but I'm guessing that Provenza edited everything so tightly because there were LOTS of dead spots. Just my impression.

Re: the 4:3 framing, this was very noticeable all through the movie for me. Some of the shots of Gottfried at the end from the Comedy Central show cut his head off entirely. If they wanted this framed at 1.85:1, I think it would work, they just need to matte the BOTTOM of the frame so that people's heads are completely visible. I realize this may not be practical in theaters; maybe it could be done for DVD or shown 4:3. I was distracted all the way through by cutting off people's heads right above the eyes, with no apparent reason in the composition of the shot to do so.

The filmmakers have so much extra material, and have mentioned from the beginning that a lot of it will be on the DVD, I get the feeling that the theatrical cut of the movie is going to be relegated to being an extra on the DVD.
Old 08-29-05, 07:54 PM

here some examples of the joke...but be warned it's not for the faint of heart:

http://www.dead-frog.com/aristocrats/
Old 06-01-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Saw it last night and enjoyed it. I didn't have problems with the editing and while members here are annoyed about the lack of footage with Gilbert telling it at the ball, Provenza says on the commentary that was the only footage they were able to get. And you can hear Gilbert tell the joke in it's entirety (In a different setting) on the DVD.
Good disc overall. I especially liked the bonus jokes in the "green room".
Old 06-01-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just picked it up from the library and should see it in the next few days.
Old 06-01-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it just me, or on the dvd extras, the editing seems jerky (where it sounds like they only kept the dirty words.
Old 06-04-06, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this movie is a documentary, nothing more. it takes a look at humor, but really isn't funny at all. This has got to be on point, since the joke of the movie isn't meant to be funny to the listener anyway. if you are looking for laughs avoid this. however, the dvd extra where participants tell their favorite joke is decent enough.

"it's in the papers already!"
Old 06-04-06, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Venom
this movie is a documentary, nothing more. it takes a look at humor, but really isn't funny at all. This has got to be on point, since the joke of the movie isn't meant to be funny to the listener anyway.
Not true, it's the punchline that isn't supposed to be funny. The getting to the punchline and developing the most bizzare, sick, twisted version of the joke is where the humor is.