Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Aristocrats

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Aristocrats

There's a piece in this week's EW about upcoming documentaries focused on one called The Aristocrats, which will feature comedians telling a joke called The Aristocrats on differing levels of dirtiness. Does anyone know this joke?

In case this is in the wrong forum, hey, who's excited to see this movie?
Old 05-25-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a link to the South Park version of the joke...

http://tinyurl.com/a89cy
Old 05-25-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's really just a piece of anti-comedy like the chicken crossed the road where the real joke is the listener's reaction.
Old 05-25-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
It's really just a piece of anti-comedy like the chicken crossed the road where the real joke is the listener's reaction.
Not exactly. The joke has the same beginning and the same punchline, which isn't really funny. The joke is that the teller makes up the middle part of the joke in an attempt to make it as outlandish as possible.
Old 05-25-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Not exactly. The joke has the same beginning and the same punchline, which isn't really funny. The joke is that the teller makes up the middle part of the joke in an attempt to make it as outlandish as possible.
And the joke is the listener's reaction. I've heard the aristocrats joke several times.

The family does a bunch of sick stuff and a talent agent says, "What do you call it?" and they respond "The Aristocrats!"

But the joke is how the listener responds in the middle. It's is a textbook case of anti-comedy.
Old 05-25-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen the film and the joke is more of a comic exercise than how the listener responds. It is certainly not a case of anti-comedy.

It is a joke often told between comedians to test the outer boundaries of humor.

Very funny movie, but will be controversial due to the extreme language.

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
And the joke is the listener's reaction. I've heard the aristocrats joke several times.

The family does a bunch of sick stuff and a talent agent says, "What do you call it?" and they respond "The Aristocrats!"

But the joke is how the listener responds in the middle. It's is a textbook case of anti-comedy.
Old 05-26-05, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have an example?
Old 05-26-05, 06:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
who's the studio that is releasing this? and when is going to get released? I know that it's getting a screening at this year's Silverdoc Film Festival and I have it on my "to see" list

The other comedy related film that night includes this film:

THE COMEDIANS OF COMEDY

Michael Blieden
USA, 2003, 103 minutes
Life on the road is wacky adventure for stand-up comics Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Zach Galifianakis and Maria Bamford as they struggle to spread the alternative comedy gospel in bars, clubs and college campuses all over the West Coast.
Old 05-26-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jordan Raup
anyone have an example?
I guess you didn't notice the second post in the thread.
Old 05-27-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Penn Jillette co-produced the film (some trivia for you). Some of the comedians in it are Gilbert Gottfried, Mario Cantone, George Carlin, Robin Williams, Whoopi, the Full House/Funniest Videos guy, etc. There's a full run-down on all the comedians involved on imdb.
I remember DVD Talk giving it a good review in the South By Southwest film fest report a few months back.
Old 05-28-05, 05:48 AM

The movie's about the ART of comedy; how a hundred different comedians can tell the same joke, and each one will bring his own unique style to the telling. Some go crazy-elaborate, others go short & sweet, many comics like to make the joke as vulgar as possible, others add whole new subplots to the joke.

I saw The Aristocrats at Sundance. And loved it. You can read my review of the movie right here if you like.
Old 05-28-05, 05:54 AM

The Comedians of Comedy is also quite hilarious. Not as good as The Aristocrats, but a whole lot of fun.

"Comedians" was actually bankrolled by Netflix; I believe it's the very first production from the company. Obviously it'll debut there first. You can add it to your queue, but there's no release date on it just yet.
Old 07-13-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Predictably, it looks like the film is having some problems getting shown:

AMC chain vetoes 'dirtiest joke ever'
'Aristocrats' won't be shown in theater company's houses

Aristocrats
"The Aristocrats" features numerous hilarious tellings of a scatological joke.

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- "The dirtiest joke ever told" won't be told in an AMC theater.

AMC Theatres, which will become the country's second-largest theater chain after its pending merger with Loews Cineplex, has decided not to exhibit "The Aristocrats," an upcoming unrated documentary about a particularly blue joke, on any of its screens.

According to the movie's distributor, ThinkFilm, the Kansas City-based AMC originally agreed to play the film in two markets -- Atlanta and Chicago -- but later backed out of its obligations.

AMC countered that though the two companies engaged in early conversations, AMC never reached an agreement with ThinkFilm to play the "Aristocrats." AMC spokeswoman Pam Blase said that whenever a film is unrated, the company's policy is to send the movie up to its corporate offices. Blase said in this case AMC Film Group chairman Dick Walsh made a business decision not to play the film.

Blase added that even if "Aristocrats," which showcases a string of comedians telling the same vaudeville-era dirty joke, performs well when it opens in limited engagements July 29 in Los Angeles and New York, AMC will not try to secure it for one of its 3,500 screens.

"We are trying to program more specialty films in our theaters, but we are very selective," Blase said. "We've made a business decision and evaluated all the factors and we will stick with that decision."

Closely held AMC seems to be the only major theater chain offered the picture that has given it a thumbs down. According to ThinkFilm, "The Aristocrats," directed by Paul Provenza and executive produced by Provenza and Penn Jillette, will open in New York at a Loews theater in Times Square as well as at the Mann Theatre in Santa Monica and a Pacific Theatre screen in Los Angeles. (Pacific Theatres does not confirm bookings that are more than five days in the future.)

When the movie, which bowed at January's Sundance Film Festival to strong reviews, expands August 12 to additional markets, the nation's largest theater chain, Regal Entertainment Group and other companies are on board to play it. The Knoxville, Tennessee-based company will play the film at its Cinema Art screens that show specialty product.

"We occasionally play unrated films in these locations and this one was never an issue for us," Regal chief operating officer Greg Dunn said.

Theater chains often decline to play certain films, especially if they suspect the films won't do any business in their market.

But ThinkFilm contends that AMC, rather than making a simple business calculation, is engaging in censorship, and that given AMC's status as the country's second-largest chain, that could impact the film's fortunes.

"AMC has some very strategic theaters that we'd like to access," ThinkFilm president and CEO Jeff Sackman said. "They've said ('The Aristocrats') is too small, but this film is not smaller than others that they've played. The real problem is somebody is deciding on a personal basis what's appropriate and what isn't."

Some circuits, like Texas-based Cinemark USA, have policies in place stating they will not play any unrated or NC-17-rated films in their theaters. As a result, ThinkFilm didn't approach Cinemark.

But AMC does not have such a policy. The chain has played such challenging recent fare as Universal Pictures' "Inside Deep Throat," which carried an NC-17 rating, and the unrated version of Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ."

ThinkFilm said AMC's decision could have broader consequences about what pictures are available to moviegoers once AMC takes over Loews Cineplex and its 2,200 screens.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

I've read some good reviews of this film and I'm interested in seeing it. I remember seeing the South Park clip last year (someone posted the link in the Adult Forum) and it looks like it will be included in the film.
Old 07-13-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Predictably, it looks like the film is having some problems getting shown:
Im sure that the production company is loving this. I had not even heard about this movie until I read about it on CNN.
Old 07-13-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank God AMC is not in Vegas.

I missed this film during CineVegas, so I'm fully anticipating this film when it rolls out in Vegas (hopefully mid-to-late August).
Old 07-14-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'll be curious to see this, probably not till it hits DVD though. I had wondered what the "joke" was myself until recently when I Googled it and realized I'd heard it years before, just under a different name.
Old 07-14-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
The other comedy related film that night includes this film:

THE COMEDIANS OF COMEDY

Michael Blieden
USA, 2003, 103 minutes
Life on the road is wacky adventure for stand-up comics Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Zach Galifianakis and Maria Bamford as they struggle to spread the alternative comedy gospel in bars, clubs and college campuses all over the West Coast.
i believe comedy central is doing a tv show about it as well, as they are touring around the country in small concert clubs and I'm going to the one at the recher in towson on july 21st. (that place is so god damn small, i'd wonder how they'd get any cameras in there.
Old 07-28-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Aristocrats trailer

Link to both the south park and Trey Parker versions

This is going to be hilarious. Definitely looking forward to it.
Old 07-28-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Cool... it'll be playing here in August
Old 07-29-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nothing in tulsa
Old 07-29-05, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

yay, its playing at the charles. My mom wanted to see the movie (fan of robin williams and whoopie), but after i played her the Trey Parker version that is linked, now she's not quite sure.
Old 07-29-05, 03:04 PM

Heard an interview with the director on O & A this week. Sounds promising. I'll be checking this one out.

One thing the director pointed out with the South Park version is that Cartman starts out the joke with "Hey you guys, do you want to hear a joke my grandpa told me?"

I didn't notice that before. Kinda funny
Old 07-29-05, 03:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I will be there to see it in Denver when it goes wide the 2nd week in August
Thanks to Landmark theatres

AMC won't show it but has not problem showing violent films- give me a break.
Old 07-29-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
What theaters is it at now?

And why do they do all the marketing and reviews now when it's only released in a handful of theaters instead of when it goes wide - by then, I'm likely to forget about it.
Old 07-29-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
What theaters is it at now?

And why do they do all the marketing and reviews now when it's only released in a handful of theaters instead of when it goes wide - by then, I'm likely to forget about it.
http://www.thearistocrats.com/
go to "tickets and showtimes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.