Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Yea, Rob, that's great and all, but I don't actually believe you're going to be shooting anything until you're doing it. Set pics or it isn't happening.
That was sort of my line of thinking. I've never liked this guy's films, but the Sin City was mildly entertaining for a number of reasons. So if he ever gets around to making them, I'll check them out.
Old 08-18-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I haven't particularly cared for Miller's art since... sometime around Sin City: Family Values.
And the coloring in DKSA was godawful as well.

I've never really been a huge fan of Miller's art, anyway. His style worked for DKR and the early Sin City volumes, but I've never been a huge fan of his art.
Aside from all that ... what do you really think of Frank Miller's art?
Old 08-18-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Yea, Rob, that's great and all, but I don't actually believe you're going to be shooting anything until you're doing it. Set pics or it isn't happening.
Early shots from the set:

Eagle eye view during fight scene on a pier:

Spoiler:

Bruce Willis interrogation scene:

Spoiler:
Old 08-18-11, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol......
Old 08-18-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really doubt that they will have a script and cast ready to shoot by the end of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rodriguez shoots something this year (much like the test scene with Hartnett and Shelton for the first film)
Old 08-18-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I really doubt that they will have a script and cast ready to shoot by the end of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rodriguez shoots something this year (much like the test scene with Hartnett and Shelton for the first film)
Everything is already written and storyboarded...just got to pick and choose what goes in the screenplay.
Old 08-29-11, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

'Sin City 2' Enlists Oscar-Winning Writer William Monahan for Script Work (Exclusive)
10:28 PM PDT 8/28/2011 by Borys Kit, Jay A. Fernandez

Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller are bringing in some Oscar-winning firepower to help shape the script for Sin City 2, the sequel to their 2005 hit graphic novel adaptation.

William Monahan, who won the Oscar for best adapted screenplay for 2006’s The Departed, has been hired to work on the script, according to sources, supplementing a draft completed recently by Miller.

Momentum has been building lately behind the long-in-development sequel to Sin City, which grossed a healthy $100 million worldwide in 2005. Rodriguez, who co-directed the original with Miller (who scripted and authored the source material), said at Comic-Con in July that financing for the sequel had been arranged and shooting would begin as soon as a script could be locked, possibly by the end of this year.

It’s not clear which actors would return from the original, though rumors on fan websites have suggested a storyline featuring the characters played by Mickey Rourke and Jessica Alba. Rodriguez indicated to THR during an interview at Comic-Con that actors playing characters that survived the first film are expected to return, and that because much of it is shot in pieces against green screen that scheduling shouldn’t be too difficult.

Monahan has been in high demand since taking home the Oscar. His active dossier includes the scripts for the hot Tom Cruise sci-fi project Oblivion, which is currently casting at Universal, as well as a slew of other projects. As THR first reported on Friday, Monahan also is reuniting with his Departed director Martin Scorsese for a remake of the 1974 drama The Gambler.

Monahan is repped by WME and Anonymous Content.
Old 08-29-11, 07:49 AM
Banned

...Alright. Uhm...guess they added that original story? otherwise it's sprucing up the material at this point right?
Old 03-14-12, 10:53 AM
Banned

via IGN

he long-awaited comic book movie sequel Sin City 2 will finally go before cameras sooner rather than later, says director Robert Rodriguez.

The filmmaker was at the South By Southwest film fest this week where he told the press about his future projects and his new animation division.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Rodriguez says that Machete 2 starts shooting in April and Sin City 2, after several fits and starts, is likely to begin production over the summer. He's thus far mum on casting, though he was willing to indicate that discussions with potential stars of both projects will be of the same caliber and eclecticism as the first films."

Claiming that Rodriguez's new Quickdraw Animation label has found a way to cut down on the time spent making a CG-animated feature film, THR says the studio's "first two films are Heavy Metal and a family film, both of which have finished scripts and are moving into storyboard pre-production phases."

The family toon is being kept a secret for now as its title, like Spy Kids, gives away its concept.
in other words...I'll fucking believe the fucker when he actually does get his shit straight.
Old 03-14-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Yeah, the "likely" qualifier doesn't inspire much confidence when saying that a film is going to be made.
Old 03-14-12, 11:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

I couldn't care less about Machete 2, either, so that statement from RR just adds more frustration.
Old 03-14-12, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That's basically non-news at this point. Leave it to IGN to make a "story" out of it.
Old 03-14-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

No Red Sonja?
Old 03-14-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed Machete but am not excited about a sequel. I wish Rodriguez would do another Mariachi movie but actually let El Mariachi be the star in his own movie this time around.
Old 03-14-12, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I enjoyed Machete but am not excited about a sequel. I wish Rodriguez would do another Mariachi movie but actually let El Mariachi be the star in his own movie this time around.
I'd like a proper sequel Desperado, OUATIM was a shit. ugh.
Old 03-14-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'd like a proper sequel Desperado, OUATIM was a shit. ugh.
I didn't hate OUATIM but I don't consider it part of El Mariachi canon. More like a separate story in which he guest starred.
Old 03-14-12, 08:51 PM
Banned

It just went for too big and it was loose as fuck about it. Like it was a controlled size that was bigger than Desperado...it probably would've been better...aside from the story of course.
Old 03-14-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My issue is that there was a lot of setup but no real payoff. Even El Mariachi seemed like he was about to cut loose and get back to his manic Desperado days but instead he doesn't do much of anything.

Basically, there was no real climax and it just fizzles out at the end. And, as I said, despite getting top billing, Banderas was really playing a supporting role in the movie. Ruben Blades got more to do by the time it was all over.
Old 03-14-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could give two shits about Sin City. Bring on Machete 2 before Trejo starts to look like Olmos in Stand and Deliver. Dude was looking rough.
Old 03-14-12, 10:53 PM
Banned

I only want Machete 2 if it's better than Machete 1. Cuz it was entertaining...but so goddamn underwhelming.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-14-12 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-14-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about Machete or The Expendables?
Old 03-14-12, 11:00 PM
Banned

Machete was more underwhelming than The Expendables...but it was better than *groan* The Expendables if I remember correctly. Simon West you better make a damn fine action film out of all those ass kickers.
Old 04-12-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

From jobblo.com:

Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller have started production on Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

SIN CITY fans the moment you have been waiting for has arrived, well, one of the moments.

A press release has come through the pipes announcing that production will begin on Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller's SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR. Excerpts from the press release are below:

“The first question I am always asked is “When will you make another Sin City? ,” said Rodriquez. “I have wanted to re-team with Frank Miller and return to the world he created since the day we wrapped the original, but have felt a duty to the fans to wait until we had something truly exceptional that would meet and exceed what have become epic expectations. A Dame To Kill For will certainly be worth the wait.”

"Sin City creator, screenwriter and co-director Frank Miller said, “The first Sin City knocked out audiences who had never seen anything like it before. Robert Rodriguez and I are going to shake things up and deliver a ferocious film experience that is going to go even further than the first.“

"The script and details of the film’s story have been kept tightly under wraps. Casting will begin next week, with many of the original cast expected to return. The film, a Quick Draw Production, will be produced by Rodriguez and producing partners Aaron Kaufman and Iliana Nikolic; and by Alexander Rodnyansky and Sergei Bespalov and Stephen L’Hereux. Miller, The Weinstein Company’s Harvey and Bob Weinstein and Miramax’s Adam Fields will act as executive producers. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For was developed by Frank Miller based upon his graphic novel, with a screenplay by Frank Miller and Academy Award winner William Monahan (The Departed). The film is expected to begin production this summer at Rodriguez’s Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas."

"Audiences have been clamoring for Sin City 2 with Robert and Frank for a long time and trust me, it will be worth the wait,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company. “This will be my 11th collaboration with Robert in 16 years and he’s become a great friend. I look forward to continuing our long lasting relationship and partnering on more projects in the future.”
Old 04-12-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He felt he had a duty to wait until they had something exceptional? Haven't they been saying for years that they were going to do ADTKF?

Whatever. I'll believe it when I see on-set shots.
Old 04-12-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
He felt he had a duty to wait until they had something exceptional? Haven't they been saying for years that they were going to do ADTKF?
Aren't the additional stories they're shooting brand new? We knew ADTKF would've been one of the adapted pieces, but I thought they were starting from scratch for the rest.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.