Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yo crazy if you don't think Sin City 2 is being fasttracked. Weinstein needs a hit bad, and the success of 300 outweighs the failure of Grindhouse.
Old 04-19-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Because the original wasn't received well?
Of course it was, but 300 made well over 100 million more and for what ever reason had more mass appeal. I see no reason why they wouldn't exploit the fact that Frank Miller had a hand in both projects.

I was just responding to the person that said because Grindhouse bombe Sin City 2 would not get made.
Old 04-19-07, 05:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope Angelina still ends up taking the role, but I guess it looks pretty unlikely at this point.
Old 05-30-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From DarkHorizons.com

Out doing promotions for his new film "Bordergate," actor Michael Madsen brought up the topic of both Robert Rodriguez's "Sin City 2" and Quentin Tarantino's WW2 opus "Inglorious Bastards" in an interview with Premiere Magazine.

Whilst Tarantino is still typing away on the 'Bastards' script, the real revelation are comments about the 'Sin' sequel which isn't moving as well as fans were hoping:

"They haven't shot it yet. I don't know if they ever will. I am not sure [about] the franchise. I think the Grindhouse thing didn't kind of work out... I don't know what effect that is going to have on making Sin City 2" said Madsen.

He adds that the only reason he did his small role in the first film "was because Robert Rodriguez said that if I took that little part I would get a bigger role in the sequel, that Bob would have more to do in the sequel."

And as for that sequel, which was said to begin filming next month - "I haven't seen the script for Sin City 2. I don't know if they are gonna make it. I hope they do. And if and when they do, I will be in it."

I dont think grindhouse would hurt this movie, the first one did pretty good and with 300, I dont see why Michael Madsen would think because of Grindhouse Sin City 2 wouldnt get made
Old 05-30-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Maybe they should try and get Michael Madsen's sister to play Ava, or maybe Blue Eyes. She loves doing femme fatales.

I don't really believe what Madsen says. The only way Grindhouse could hurt Sin City 2 is if QT and RR have had a falling out and think the other one might be to blame for its domestic failure.
Old 05-30-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like there was some truth to those Michael Madsen comments after all. According to this article here, Sin City 2 is being put on the back-burner so that Miller can work on The Spirit and Rodriguez can work on the remake of Barbarella.

Miller says that "Sin City 2 is still likely to happen…just not right away. The script is written and Robert and I are raring to go, but it looks like I'm going to be doing The Spirit first and Robert's going to be doing Barbarella first."
So I guess it'll be, what, another 4 years at least before we seen another Sin City flick?
Old 05-30-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet!! He's 2/3 of the way done with Batman vs Al Qaeda, since the initial announcement I haven't heard anything.
Old 05-30-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I don't really believe what Madsen says. The only way Grindhouse could hurt Sin City 2 is if QT and RR have had a falling out and think the other one might be to blame for its domestic failure.
The only thing I can think of is maybe the Weinstein investors won't sign off on "Sin City 2" right now. Last I heard, Harvey was clambering to get it made after "300"'s success.
Old 05-30-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by BJacks
The only thing I can think of is maybe the Weinstein investors won't sign off on "Sin City 2" right now.
It's got more in common with 300 than Grindhouse that's for sure, so I don't know what the problem would be on that end. I think it just came down to scheduling and other movies getting moving faster... and maybe RR is still holding out hope for Jolie changing her mind next yr.

RR moves pretty fast on his films, so this may only be yr delay.
Old 05-31-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
If RR feels that only Jolie can play the part, then I would not be surprised at him waiting until she is available.
Old 07-28-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Miller On "Sin"

At the Warner Home Video panel at today's San Diego Comic Con, Frank Miller revealed that "Sin City 2" has been delayed due to issues within the Weinstein Company.

He confirmed that he and Robert Rodriguez have a script ready - an adaptation of "A Dame to Kill" and some of the book's other short stories - but left the cryptic hint that the Weinstein's themselves are part of the hold up - likely tying into the fledgling distributor's lack of success so far at the box-office.

DARKHORIZONS.com
Old 12-08-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Looks like Mickey cant be bothered with a sequel. Guess thats what happens when your suddenly being groomed for an Oscar.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/si...ws.php?id=7885

A couple days ago, MTV's Splash Page chatted up actor Mickey Rourke at a party for Fox Seachlight and the results of that discussion (which you can read here) seemed to indicate that both Frank Miller and Mickey were ready to go on the long-delayed Sin City 2.

At the junket for Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler in which Rourke gives a heartbreaking performance as Randy "The Ram" Robinson, a has-been wrestler trying to go out in a blaze of glory, he told ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! that he's not as gung-ho about returning to play Marv as he might have been last week.

"No, I'm not interested in that right now. That's not a reality right now. It's pissing in the wind," Rourke admitted. "There's different factions going different directions there. I don't know. That's three hours of make up and I'm claustrophobic, so I'm going to have to work something out."

Who knows how much of a role Marv would have played in the sequel considering that it was to be based around the mini-series "A Dame to Kill For" but Marv was always kind of in the background even in the stories that didn't feature him, so hopefully, they can work things out.

In the meantime, Rourke told us he was really digging the movie he was currently working on, 13, Gela Babluani‘s remake of his own French film 13 Tzameti, but he told us that the character he plays is a new one not in the original movie.
Old 12-08-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Uh oh, Mickey. Be careful. I don't want to see you going back to those old 'I'm too good for this' attitudes.

To me, Sin City isn't just some poppy action flick. We only get to see such huge, powerful characters a few times a year. So I welcome the sequel and hope it gets produced.
Old 12-08-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Marv has a small role in "A Dame to Kill For" --
Spoiler:
He's the one responsible for Manute's missing eye when he and pre-facelift Dwight team up for some hardboiled mischief.

Marv also appears in a couple of the short stories, though I don't know if R wi'll bother adapting those.

Considering Marv's limited role, and that he's basically a prosthetic, it wouldn't be too difficult to recast him.

Not sure what they'll do about Dwight; he'll probably have to be recast for most of the movie with Clive Owen playing him at the very end.

(This probably all academic anyway, since it doesn't seem like anyone is in a rush to get this made. Apart from "A Dame to Kill For," Miller's remaining Sin City material isn't particularly strong.)
Old 12-09-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Damn, hadn't checked up on this for awhile but dissapointed to see the delay.
Old 04-10-09, 08:00 PM

Exclusive : Jolie talks resume for Sin City 2

Author: Clint Morris Date: Friday, April 10th, 2009 Time: 1:54 am According to a rather high-profile producer friend, Angelina Jolie is now in "serious talks" - as opposed to merely being mentioned as a possibility, or having a casual coffee with the filmmakers to suss out her interest - to star in director Robert Rodroguez's "Sin City 2".
Jolie first spoke to Rodriguez and writer/co-director Frank Miller about the film in 2006. All went quiet on the project though, largely because the producers weren't ready to pull the trigger on the production, and all converse ceased. Now, according to my mole, the project has gathered steam and the filmmakers are trying to get Jolie to officially commit to playing the female lead.
Jolie would play the iniquitous Ava, the lead character in Miller's "A Dame to Kill For" story. She's the former flame of clean-living photographer Dwight McCarthy, and shows up and professes her love for him. When he finds out she's in way over her head, it looks as though trouble has found him. And he'd be right.
The project would reunite Jolie with her "Beyond Borders" co-star Clive Owen, who's loosely attached to reprise his role as McCarthy.
We're told that the long-gestating sequel is inching forward a little faster than it was, say, six months ago. Wonder if it's the Weinstein's who are suddenly raring to go? Word is, they haven't lost the rights to the film, but could if the project doesn't transition from a simmer to a boil pretty soon.

Source: http://www.moviehole.net/200918554-e...for-sin-city-2

Last edited by Anonymous2008; 04-10-09 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Exclusive : Jolie talks resume for Sin City 2

This hasn't even started filming?

Damn.

That sucks.
Old 04-10-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's better than dead in the water.
Old 04-10-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh God Yes! Angelina Jolie = Sin (in my book)
Old 04-11-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry in advance, but I don't want that mutant anywhere near Ava Lord.
Old 04-23-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
re: Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

'Sin City' sequel up for grabs?
Dimension's option on rights appears to have lapsed
By Borys Kit and Steven Zeitchik

April 22, 2009, 05:26 PM ET

The sequel rights to "Sin City," Frank Miller's popular noir comic, are being shopped around Hollywood, in what appears to be a sign that Dimension Films has lost rights to the property.

The Weinstein Co./Dimension continue to maintain that they hold the rights to any sequel for the Robert Rodriguez film, which grossed $159 million worldwide when it came out in 2005.

But producers say they have been shopped the rights by reps for Miller's estate, who they say are seeking a new place to set up a potential follow-up.

If the Weinsteins' option did lapse, it could have happened for reasons ranging from development inactivity to a decision not to pay to re-up. Sequel rights generally require a certain amount of activity within a defined period to remain with the original rights holder, though in many deals those periods stretch much longer than the four years that have elapsed since the original "Sin City" came out.

It is unclear what kind of involvement Rodriguez, who directed the first movie and has strong connections to both TWC and Miller, would have with a potential sequel.

"Sin City," starring Jessica Alba, Bruce Willis and Rosario Dawson, was made for about $45 million and told the story of corruption in the fictional Basin City; it garnered praise for its stylized violence and dark themes.

After its release, Dimension quickly put a sequel into development, with Angelina Jolie expressing interest in a role. The project, however, has since languished in development.

Online rumors that Dimension had lost the rights first surfaced several weeks ago but were quashed by TWC attorney Bert Fields, who called them "hogwash."

"TWC's rights to produce sequels to 'Sin City' remain intact as they always have been," he stated at the time. TWC said Wednesday that it stood by that statement.
Old 04-23-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's weird that a sequel to this has taken so long, given the enthusiasm for it after the first movie.
Old 04-23-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I would think the enthusiasm that it and 300 generated for a sequel was no doubt muted by The Spirit and Watchmen.

I would still see it opening day.
Old 04-26-09, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How would Watchmen affect Sin City? Maybe The Spirit..I'd really assume that Rodriguez would be all up in this too right? I mean it was he who brought Sin City to film, w/ Miller of course. I'd hate to see a solo directed Sin City without Rodriguez....
Old 04-26-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

R rated comic book movie, same director as 300, which was largely sold on Frank Miller's name.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.