Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Not sure, I just found the spin amusing.
Old 04-12-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 747 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Aren't the additional stories they're shooting brand new? We knew ADTKF would've been one of the adapted pieces, but I thought they were starting from scratch for the rest.
If they're still going with the last plan I heard, there's at least one previously unpublished story, which will be a Nancy story. It's something that Miller hinted at many years ago but never got around to publishing. He actually originally (in the lettercolumn of one issue) called the story "The Hard Goodbye", but as we know, that title has since been re-used as the title for original "Sin City" graphic novel.
Old 04-12-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This, to me, is the best movie Rodriguez has made since Desperado. I won't hold my breath, though.
Old 04-12-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

But....are they still going to get Angelina Jolie for whatever role she was supposed to do all those years ago?
Old 05-17-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Press release:

FRANK MILLER’S SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR IN THEATERS NATIONWIDE ON OCTOBER 4, 2013
ORIGINAL CAST MEMBERS MICKEY ROURKE AND JESSICA ALBA RETURN FOR THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED SEQUEL

New York, NY (14 May 2012) — Dimension Films announced today that the highly anticipated sequel FRANK MILLER’S SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR will open nationwide on October 4, 2013. Casting is underway, with original cast members returning to work with directors Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, from their script co-written by Academy AwardŽ winner William Monahan . Academy AwardŽ nominee Mickey Rourke and Jessica Alba are already confirmed to return.

The script and details of the film’s story are being kept tightly under wraps. The remaining cast will be announced shortly with some huge names expected to fill the roles of Sin Ciy’s newest characters yet to be seen on the big screen.

The original SIN CITY broke new ground with its iconic stylish look and grossed over $160 million worldwide. FRANK MILLER’S SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR will not only bring fans back to the world that Rodriguez and Miller created, but will also add a new dimension by bringing their unique visual style to life in 3D.

The film will be released by Dimension Films in the US and Canada, and produced by Quick Draw Productions, AR Films, Miramax and Solipsist.

Aldamisa International’s C.O.O. Jere Hausfater and President of International Sales and Distribution Nadine de Barros and will oversee international sales for this project at the Cannes Film Festival.

The film is expected to begin production this summer at Robert Rodriguez’s Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas.
Old 05-17-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

And here's the teaser poster put out today:

Old 05-17-12, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still don't give a damn until I see set pics.

Also...I do hope they got Jolie for Ava. That was a perfect casting choice for the character. We'll see. Sad that Murphy is dead...I liked the character, a good connector for the stories.
Old 10-29-12, 05:31 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Jaime King and Jamie Chung join Sin City 2 which has begun filming

Two more cast-members have joined Robert Rodriguez' SIN CITY 2. Jaime King, who played Goldie in the 2005 film, will return as Goldie's twin sister Wendy for the 2013 sequel. Jamie Chung will take over the role of roller-skating assassin Miho, who was previously played by Devon Aoki.

These actresses will join the already returning Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, and Rosario Dawson. The Hollywood Reporter says there is no news on the casting for Ava, which was intended as a role for Angelina Jolie. They also mention Clive Owen may still return as Dwight, but nothing is official yet.

Like the first film, SIN CITY 2 will be comprised of separate stories from the Frank Miller series including "A Dame To Kill For" as well as an original story written specifically for the sequel. Despite the lack of some main cast, SIN CITY 2 is currently filming at Troublemaker Studios in Austin.

I really enjoyed the first movie and hope that this one comes together. It worries me that they are filming and don't even have all the actors on board yet. But, Rodriguez is used to filming in a slapdash manner. I just hope this movie doesn't turn into another ADVENTURES OF SHARKBOY AND LAVA GIRL.

Rodriguez does have plenty of time as SIN CITY 2 is not slated to open until October 4, 2013.
Old 10-29-12, 05:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Still don't give a damn until I see set pics.
Ask and ye shall receive!
Spoiler:
Old 10-29-12, 05:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Glad to see that Alba is back as the stripper who doesn't take her clothes off.
Old 10-29-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Glad to see that Alba is back as the stripper who doesn't take her clothes off.
To be fair, she will be in her 60s by the time they actually film her stripping scenes.
Old 10-29-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm all for replacing uggo Devon Aoki.
Old 10-29-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Spoiler:
Well played.
Old 10-29-12, 07:45 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
....well fuck.
Old 10-29-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Spoiler:
Did anybody else get a sense of Deja Vu?
Old 12-05-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dennis Haysbert to replace Michael Clark Duncan
Old 12-06-12, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. President Palmer.
Old 12-06-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Snake Dr!
Old 01-07-13, 07:31 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Joseph Gordon-Levitt will make his next film Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, the Dimension Films sequel to the stylish noir drama that Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller are directing based on Miller’s graphic novel. I’m told that Gordon-Levitt will play the role of Johnny, a part that the filmmakers originally offered to Johnny Depp. He’s one of the core characters in overlapping story lines that feature returning players like Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Bruce Willis, Rosario Dawson, along with newcomers that include Dennis Haysbert. Other tough guy actors will be added, with Gangster Squad‘s Josh Brolin among the potential names I’ve heard.

At the same time, the canoodling that was going on between Gordon-Levitt and Marvel Studios over the lead in Guardians Of The Galaxy has come to an end. He won’t be starring in the film and Marvel is evaluating its other candidates. Sin City 2 is already shooting, and Gordon-Levitt will mix in his work as he moves through a busy month.

He’ll be at the Sundance Film Festival where his feature directorial debut, Don Jon‘s Addiction, makes its world premiere. Gordon-Levitt also wrote the script and stars with Scarlett Johansson. He’s also hosting the Sundance Awards ceremony that closes the upcoming festival in Park City, Utah. Gordon-Levitt is coming off a strong 2012, where he starred in The Dark Knight Rises and ended the year with Looper and Lincoln. He’s repped by WME.
Old 01-07-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-07-13, 07:39 PM

There's so much bullshit in that article that I find it hard to believe any of it. (Starting with the fact that Bruce Willis is not returning, and there are no core characters named "Johnny" in Sin City--there's one that appears in the short story Daddy's Little Girl, but it's not a huge part, and he doesn't appear in any other stories)

EDIT: Ok, If found this casting confirmed by other sources, and I guess "Johnny" is a new character, but that's still a really poorly written piece.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 01-07-13 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 08:08 PM
Banned

Didn't see that casting coming.
Old 01-07-13, 08:12 PM

I do agree... I thought Depp was up for the role of Wallace. Maybe thats who JGL has been cast as...and it was a typo?

Last edited by dex14; 01-07-13 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 09:22 PM

They're definitely not doing Hell and Back in this installment, but yes, Wallace was who Depp was orginally rumored for.
Old 01-08-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Joins SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR in Lead Role; Won’t Be in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY [Updated]
by Adam Chitwood Posted: January 7th, 2013 at 5:23 pm

The Joseph Gordon-Levitt news continues. As the multitalented actor prepares to unveil his feature directorial debut Don Jon’s Addiction at the upcoming Sundance Film Festival, he’s been the focus of quite a few news stories over the past week. We learned last Wednesday that Gordon-Levitt had been added to the list of contenders for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, and earlier today it was reported that he passed on a role in Warner Bros.’ Godzilla reboot. Now it appears that Gordon-Levitt has settled on his next project, as he has committed to a lead role in director Robert Rodriguez’s upcoming sequel Sin City: A Dame to Kill For after turning down the Guardians gig. [Update: Gordon-Levitt released a statement to explain why he is drawn to the Sin City world: "I love how the first movie uses VFX, not to make fake things look real, but to create a heightened world unburdened by the look and feel of reality. Plus, nobody makes a badass like Mr. Rodriguez."]

Hit the jump for more, including further details on the cast of Sin City 2.

Gordon-Levitt will play the role of Johnny in A Dame to Kill For, a cocky gambler who disguises a darker mission to destroy his most foul enemy at his best game. The lead part was originally offered to Johnny Depp, and is one of the core characters of the film’s multiple intersecting storylines. The pic also stars Sin City castmembers Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Jamie King, Rosario Dawson, and newcomers Jamie Chung and Dennis Haysbert. Interestingly, Deadline’s report includes Clive Owen and Bruce Willis’ names in the returning cast list for A Dame to Kill For, so I’m unsure if this is a mistake or if the actors are indeed reprising their roles for the follow-up. Owen’s Dwight character is a central focus of the Dame to Kill For story in Frank Miller’s graphic novel (albeit with a different face), so it would make sense for him to return in some capacity.

Filming on A Dame to Kill For began at the end of October, but since Rodriguez is shooting the film nearly entirely on green screen (as he did with Sin City), actors don’t necessarily have to be in the same room as each other in order to share a scene. This is why the casting of the film’s lead two months after production began is possible, and Deadline notes that other “tough guy actors” will be added soon, with Josh Brolin among the potential names.

The report also has bad news for those that were hoping Gordon-Levitt might tackle a Marvel movie in the near future, as talks between the actor and Marvel for the lead role in Guardians of the Galaxy are apparently over. The studio and director James Gunn are now evaluating their other candidates, which include Jim Sturgess and Zachary Levi.

Read the Sin City press release below:

New York, NY January 7, 2013 – Dimension Films announced today that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (LOOPER, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES) is joining the all-star cast as one of the lead characters in the highly anticipated SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR. The film is the follow up to co-directors Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller’s 2005 visually groundbreaking film, FRANK MILLER’S SIN CITY. Other major casting announcements will continue to follow.

Gordon-Levitt will play “Johnny,” a cocky gambler who disguises a darker mission to destroy his most foul enemy at his best game.

“Johnny is a new character in the Sin City world and we are excited for what Joseph will bring to the role,” said Rodriguez and Miller.

Gordon-Levitt most recently wrote, directed and stars in DON JON’S ADDICTION which will premiere this month at Sundance and also stars Scarlett Johansson and Julianne Moore.

SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR weaves together two of Miller’s classic stories with new tales in which the town’s most hard boiled citizens cross paths with some of its more repulsive inhabitants.

The ensemble includes already announced original cast members Academy AwardŽ nominee Mickey Rourke as “Marv,” Jessica Alba as “Nancy,” Rosario Dawson as “Gail,” and Jaime King as “Goldie/Wendy” with new cast members Dennis Haysbert as “Manute,” and Jamie Chung as “Miho”. Production is underway at Rodriguez’s Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas.

The original SIN CITY broke new ground with its iconic stylish look. SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR will not only bring fans back to the world that Miller and Rodriguez created, but also add a new dimension by bringing their unique visual style to life in 3D.

SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR was developed by Frank Miller based upon his graphic novel, with a screenplay by Miller and Academy AwardŽ winner William Monahan (The Departed).

The film will be released by Dimension Films in the US and Canada on October 4, 2013 and is produced by Robert Rodriguez’s Quick Draw Productions, Aldamisa, AR Films, Miramax and Solipsist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.