Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Birds - REMAKE - From Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Birds - REMAKE - From Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 11:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hmmm let's see, Naomi been chased by a giant ape.. birds... what's next, a big budget remake of 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'
Old 10-18-06, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh no!!!

Monsters that are scary if you can't cover your eyes until you can find a motorcycle helmet or some safety goggles. Help.

I never got the first one. The scariest thing in that movie was a cigarette. They should have called it "The Guy Who Blew Up The Gas Station". I'm guessing the new one is going to have genetically engineered, bulletproof birds with poisonous beaks that fly out on strings and turn you to dust. Also they are CGI.
Old 10-18-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kudama
I'm guessing the new one is going to have genetically engineered, bulletproof birds with poisonous beaks that fly out on strings and turn you to dust. Also they are CGI.
These birds will blow up real good.
Old 10-18-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
hmmm let's see, Naomi been chased by a giant ape.. birds... what's next, a big budget remake of 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'
Sharks apparently:

Watts Returns To The Water?

Naomi Watts has confirmed reports that she has been offered the lead role in the remake of Steven Spielberg's 1975 blockbuster Jaws. The Island director Michael Bay's company will produce the new version of the film. Watts would play Jane Hooper, a female rendition of Matt Hooper, who was played by Richard Dreyfuss, in the original, according to moviehole.net. The script is being re-worked by Emmy award winning writer/producer David E. Kelley, whose current series, 'Boston Legal' was recently nominated for 7 Emmy awards, winning 2. Kelley's most recent movie credits include Mystery, Alaska and Lake Placid. Reports state work on the script will be begin following the completion of Kelley's latest series pilot, a US remake of the hit British TV Series 'Life on Mars'. The movie features a wealthy New England socialite who follows a potential boyfriend to a small Resort town named Amity when a series of shark attacks prompts widespread panic.
Kidding. (I was really bored)

I love Watts but I can't see doing a Birds remake as a good idea, at all.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-18-06 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original is far from critic proof. The attack on the kids scenes still look ridiculous. But even worse is that stupid song they sing before it starts. I think the chorus is repeated about 100 times.

to the Watts rumor.
Old 10-18-06, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
Sharks apparently:

Kidding. (I was really bored)
Thank God. Although, you've probably put the idea in Bay's head now. We should get prepared to do some heavy duty groaning.
Old 10-18-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why all the hate on the Birds? (the original)

Great piece of filmmaking - and the subtexts are classic Hitchockian.

How is the ending like War of the Worlds?
Spoiler:
As far as I can tell the Birds are still going strong.

Man that scene where Tippi gets attacked - gets me every time.
Old 10-18-06, 04:09 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I'm open to different points of view, but I guess I've reached my limit. People dissing on THE BIRDS? Gimme a fuckin' break. Don't vote.
Old 10-18-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's my before and after...

Before Michael Bay

After Michael Bay

Old 10-18-06, 05:19 PM

Australian actress Naomi Watts has reportedly been offered the lead role
Noooooooooooooooo!
If Naomi is in this stupid movie, the birds better rip her clothes off... at least give me that.
Old 10-18-06, 05:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Put me in the boat that thinks the original is overrated. It's Hitchcock, so it still has some good scenes, but overall, the movie pales in comparison to the films he did before it.
Old 10-18-06, 05:57 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by chanster
Why all the hate on the Birds? (the original)

Great piece of filmmaking - and the subtexts are classic Hitchockian.

How is the ending like War of the Worlds?
Spoiler:
As far as I can tell the Birds are still going strong.

Man that scene where Tippi gets attacked - gets me every time.
No hate here. I still consider it one of the finest films ever made. And I feel as you do about that scene with Tippi in the atic.
Old 10-18-06, 06:15 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Put me in the boat that thinks the original is overrated. It's Hitchcock, so it still has some good scenes, but overall, the movie pales in comparison to the films he did before it.
It's my second favorite of his, behind only PSYCHO.
Old 10-18-06, 06:16 PM

I just don't get all the hate for remakes. If you own a classic '67 Pontiac GTO and Pontiac comes out with the new incarnation that looks nothing like the original, it doesn't make you love your car any less. You don't have to go out and buy the new one. It's not even marketed towards you, it's for a younger crowd.

The same goes for "The Birds" or any other classic they've remade or will remake. Continue to love your classic and let the younger crowd have their remake if it's not your cup of tea.

Last edited by Bareit; 10-18-06 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I like the Birds, but I wouldn't place it in the upper echelon of Hitchcock's filmography. The Birds is arguably a classic, but not because of its content, it was Hitch's approach that made it better than the simple genre flick it is.
Old 10-18-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bump
Old 10-18-06, 09:56 PM

Heh, saying The Birds is a simple genre flick is like saying Moby Dick is nothing more than a fishing manual.

The remake will probably be awful, and is even more likely to be a flop (at least if they stick to the orginal audience-disconcerting plot.)

And in five years it won't matter because the remake will be forgotten. How many people remember, say, the remake of The 39 Steps?
Old 10-18-06, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by DVD King
Hitchcock put more into this film than elements of horror and suspense and composite shots of birds flying around. Like clemente said, it was his whole approach to filmmaking that made it into something interesting. What's bad about remakes is that something like Michael Bay's THE BIRDS comes out and "the younger crowd" suddenly looks at the 1963 film like it's a relic from 200 years ago and passes judgement, while only looking at what is bound to be a surface comparision. It's a small point to make but still one worth mentioning.
And so what if they do pass judgement? Does the fact that someone else doesn't understand or care for something you like diminish your love of it?
Old 10-19-06, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
I saw something about Naomi Watts up for the lead. Is she the queen of lead female roles in remakes or something?
Old 10-19-06, 08:03 AM
Banned

Bareit, it diminishes the respect the film deserves from the viewing audience as a whole.
Old 10-19-06, 08:04 AM
Banned

She's the queen of my schlong, I know that much...
Old 10-19-06, 09:55 AM
Banned

I think my thread should be merged with this one.
Old 10-19-06, 10:08 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Inverse
Heh, saying The Birds is a simple genre flick is like saying Moby Dick is nothing more than a fishing manual.

The remake will probably be awful, and is even more likely to be a flop (at least if they stick to the orginal audience-disconcerting plot.)

And in five years it won't matter because the remake will be forgotten. How many people remember, say, the remake of The 39 Steps?
You got that right, look at the remake of "Psycho".

I think my distaste for remakes comes from the waste of resources. They could have spent this money on something original and instead wasted it reproducing something that, in this case, was perfect the first time around.
Old 10-19-06, 10:13 AM
Banned

I think my schlong should be merged with Naomi Watts...

...okay, okay, I'll stop.

Old 10-19-06, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Bareit, it diminishes the respect the film deserves from the viewing audience as a whole.
I still fail to see who it hurts if a film doesn't get the respect it deserves. I've seen The Birds many times throughout my life and it has lost its luster for me. Does my lack of respect for the film diminish your viewing pleasure? If some 15 year old kid sees the original and doesn't care for it because of the poor special effects, do you think Alfred Hitchcock will come back from the grave and take his movie back?

I don't mean to be snarky but this seems like the "George Lucas raped my childhood" cry when he first changed the original Star Wars. Except, in the case with The Birds or other remakes, you still have your original.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.