Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Birds - REMAKE - From Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Birds - REMAKE - From Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
pointless remakes of both The Birds and Strangers on a Train. boo.
Old 04-26-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
QuiGonJosh is right. It was a joke. My second sentence is not to be taken seriously. I'll stand by my first sentence though...
Good.

While it might be true that no one's "forcing" us to watch these crappy remakes, unfortunately, it might indirectly affect us in the long run. Besides all the psychiatry bills from having our childhoods raped, think of the presedent these remakes are setting. Imagine where we'd be if the studios were this unoriginal back in the day. But hey, at least we could hope Paris Hilton gets it in a phone booth if she's not starring in 'the Hitcher'.

The same thing could be said about reality shows or contemporary music too. You might not be forced to listen to it, but it influences your choices. To try to casually brush it off by saying "If you don't like it, don't watch/listen" is ridiculous. Then again, complaining about it on an internet forum doesn't do much either..
Old 04-26-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
Now I'll admit that I enjoyed TCM 03, mostly for the fact that a good ole slasher film hadn't been done effectively for sometime and I thought that was a damn fine little film that didn't get to big for it's britches or try to re-write the original story,
Are you sure about that? As I recall, the remake added a bunch of crap to the story.
Old 04-26-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
No big deal to me. Michael Bay is producing, not directing. And it's based on the short story that inspired the Hitchcock movie, which doesn't seem so different from other films with multiple versions that are based off source material.
I read the story back in High School and actually prefered it more than the direction the movie took. So, while I typically do not agree with remakes, I would like to see something more true to the story.
Old 04-26-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Birds II: Land's End remember that...

worst thing that could happen is we get a new 2 disc birds SE with a commentary this time around....

again i say boo
Old 04-27-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe they'll add a dream sequence where the birds sing hip-hop.
Old 04-27-05, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Are you sure about that? As I recall, the remake added a bunch of crap to the story.
Not really, they fleshed out the characters in the family and changed the dynamic of the family around some, but other than that it's pretty much a straightforward slasher picture. I look at it not as a remake, but just quasi -sequel/remake. The original is so much better of course, but I think the new one was a lot of fun, it worked for me.
Old 04-27-05, 01:56 PM
Banned

Hitchcock was great, admitted, but I never got into this particular film. It’s a little scarier than attack of the napkins or something.

I never could get my head around why none of these humans ever armored themselves or tried to even take a token swing at their attackers. Wrap a shirt around your face, grab a rake and go to town. It’s not like these things were condors with guns or something.

Birds haven’t done any significant evolving in the meantime, so I really don’t expect much from this one either. But if it gets some hungry special effects people work, good. Bay can have it.
Obviously my (very unpopular I’m betting) opinion, but there’s my disclaimer nonetheless.

For Hitchcock I’ll stick with Rope and Rear Window.
Old 04-27-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Um, don't hit me...............I'm interested.

Old 04-28-05, 01:21 AM

I'm shocked that Bay would go this far to be unoriginal and lazy. He's completely lost any respect people should have for him at this point.

Normally, I try to see the other side of people's opinions, and I'm for discussing an upcoming movie rationally. But this time, uh, no.

Remaking (most) Hitchcock films is just completely wrong, and as a fan, I am pissed. I'm expecting Casablanca to get the next Bay treatment, starring Ben Affleck and involving several major special effects shots, including explosions.
Old 05-27-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe not.....

Bay Backs Away From The Birds

Producer/director Michael Bay appeared to back away from reports that he was mulling a remake of Alfred Hitchcock's classic thriller film The Birds in comments to SCI FI Wire and other reporters on May 25. "I don't want to talk about The Birds, because that's so far down the line, and I have misgivings about even trying to even do that, you know what I'm saying?" Bay said at a news conference to promote his upcoming SF action film The Island.

Scarlett Johansson, Bay's Island star, was sitting next to him when she learned of the potential remake and reacted with shock. "You're remaking The Birds?" she asked with incredulity. "The one with Tippi Hedren?"

Bay responded: "You can't believe everything you read. It doesn't mean it's going to happen."

Last month, The Hollywood Reporter ran a story saying that Bay's Platinum Dunes production label was in talks to remake the 1963 thriller with producer Peter Guber, though his Mandalay Pictures banner. The new version would reportedly be based on the short story by Daphne du Maurier, to which Universal owns the rights and which inspired Hitchcock's original movie, the trade paper reported. (Universal is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.)

At the news conference, Bay tried to change the subject to his upcoming Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel, called The Origin, and a remake of The Hitcher when Johansson again registered her protest against remaking The Birds.

"You can't remake a Hitchcock movie!" Johansson said.

Bay again responded: "I know, it doesn't feel right. That's why you can't believe everything you read."

When Johansson seemed to realize that the interchange was being monitored by a roomful of reporters, she teased: "Yeah, look, now I'm going to be starring in it, and it's going to be some $180 million blockbuster."

"Yeah, it's a slippery slope when you do remakes," Bay said. "The movie I think that should never be remade is The Shining. I love Kubrick, and the scariest shot in any movie is that scene of the twins down at the end of the hallway." The Island opens July 22.
Old 05-27-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
...Imagine where we'd be if the studios were this unoriginal back in the day...
...really...?... after all, Hitchcock remade his own "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1934) in 1956... and his "Dial M For Murder" was remade as "A Perfect Murder"...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 05-27-05 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-27-05, 11:22 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Michael Bay remakes a classic: "Unoriginal Hollywood bastards! Why don't they leave well alone!"

Peter Jackson remakes a classic: "Awesome! I can't wait!"

Old 05-27-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've also read that Michael Bay's company is remaking Day Of The Dead.

There's no point in fighting them anymore... Remakes are usually made on lower budgets and are making huge box office bank. That's the bottom line, they won't stop. And honestly I've been enjoying most of them, so I give up.
Old 05-27-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Maybe they'll add a dream sequence where the birds sing hip-hop.
They could do this remake with an all-black cast (mostly played by rappers) and call it "Birdz". (or to go a step further -- "Birdz in the Hood")
Old 05-27-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
Michael Bay remakes a classic: "Unoriginal Hollywood bastards! Why don't they leave well alone!"

Peter Jackson remakes a classic: "Awesome! I can't wait!"

I think a classic film, and a hitchcock film are different things. Not to say a remake is needed, but Kong has already been run into the ground with sequels and remakes....

Hitchcock remakes and sequels have never done well. he is to famous a face. I doubt most people on the street would know the names, much less the faces of Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack. To me its like remaking a John Wayne movie. More than a classic film, and Icon of sorts.
Old 05-27-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As long as Strange Brew is never remade I'm content.
Old 10-18-06, 09:03 AM
Banned

Michael Bay to Produce a remake of Hitchcock's The Birds

In another colorful moment in Hollywood, from the IMDB.com:

Watts To Battle 'The Birds'?

Australian actress Naomi Watts has reportedly been offered the lead role in the remake of Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 horror classic The Birds. Armageddon director Michael Bay's company will produce the new version of the film. She would play the role of Melanie Daniels, which was played by Tippi Hedren, in the original, according to moviehole.net. The script is being re-worked by Leslie Dixon, who updated The Thomas Crown Affair for Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo in 1999. The movie features a wealthy San Francisco socialite who follows a potential boyfriend to a small Northern California town where birds suddenly begin to launch vicious attacks on people.
http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-10-18/

Just what we need, Michael Bay producing a remake of a classic. I don't think that we are far off that Casablanca remake with J-Lo and Marc Anthony or the Wizard of Oz with Dakota Fanning, both directed by McG.
Old 10-18-06, 09:05 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ain't that a bitch?
Old 10-18-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=420084
Old 10-18-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

God no.
Old 10-18-06, 10:13 AM

Works for me.
Old 10-18-06, 10:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'll say it: the first movie ain't that great. It takes forever to get to the bird attack, and when the attack does happen most of the effects are ridiculously laughable, even by 1963 standards. There are some great individual sequences, but overall the movie doesn't work for me.
Old 10-18-06, 11:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I'll say it: the first movie ain't that great. It takes forever to get to the bird attack, and when the attack does happen most of the effects are ridiculously laughable, even by 1963 standards. There are some great individual sequences, but overall the movie doesn't work for me.
and the ending was lame kind of like 'War of the Worlds'
Old 10-18-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow...This is going to go over like a turd in a punchbowl.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.