Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oscars 2005 : Most Embarrassing Moment...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oscars 2005 : Most Embarrassing Moment...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the embarrassing moments for me came from Chris Rock. The bit at the Magic Johnson Theatre was really out of place for the Oscars and painful to watch. The constant rehashing of the "black people are different than white people" song and dance was outdated 15 years ago. It's just stupid now. His monologue about real stars and actors was horribly contrived. He would say the names, then just shout about them not being a real star. What the hell is funny about that? His delivery is abrasive and obnoxious. Lastly, "BROOKLYN!!." Does every Oscar host shout out thier hometown at the end the broadcast? It's completely unprofessional. Also, the problem with the Oscars is that its popularity in any given year depends on the films that are nominated. Most of the films this year are one's people aren't interested in or haven't seen. Unfortunately, blockbusters have to be nominated to people to watch the show.

Here are a few choices for host in the future:

Ellen Degenerous - she's really quick witted, fearless, and has a great self deprecating sense of humor

Conan OBrien - Is easy to laugh at, great deadpan humor, annoying at times.

Robin Williams - quickest witt in the world, sometimes to fast, has the energy of 1000 cans of redbull

Any other ideas?
Old 03-02-05, 09:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudikoff
Most of the embarrassing moments for me came from Chris Rock. The bit at the Magic Johnson Theatre was really out of place for the Oscars and painful to watch. The constant rehashing of the "black people are different than white people" song and dance was outdated 15 years ago. It's just stupid now. His monologue about real stars and actors was horribly contrived. He would say the names, then just shout about them not being a real star. What the hell is funny about that? His delivery is abrasive and obnoxious. Lastly, "BROOKLYN!!." Does every Oscar host shout out thier hometown at the end the broadcast? It's completely unprofessional. Also, the problem with the Oscars is that its popularity in any given year depends on the films that are nominated. Most of the films this year are one's people aren't interested in or haven't seen. Unfortunately, blockbusters have to be nominated to people to watch the show.
that award is called the People's Choice Awards

the skit would have worked better if Rock had 'interviewed' a more diverse racial mix of filmgoers, it really made African American's as fickle and one-sided.
Old 03-02-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wazootyman
My professor is actually friends with Jorge, and she had talked with him beforehand about who they were having sing it. He said originally the producers approached him and said "We're thinking of having Beyonce do it." His response was "... does she even know Spanish? No, we can't do that..." they then asked him who should do it. He said "I can... it's my song" But they wanted a name, so they went with Banderas, and Jorge wasn't the happiest about that, but figured at least he knew Spanish

too bad Edward James Olmos or the janitor of my office building wasn't available. they probably would have been as appropriate as Antonio Banderes
Old 03-02-05, 10:18 AM
Suspended

More from TV columnist Scott Feschuk, of the National Post, March 1, 2005...

A word of warning: His style is satirical and his information in not to be taken at face value. I am copying this by hand as the National Post (www.nationalpost.com) is a paying site...

(beginning of quote)

Title: Efficiency without entertainment

The international fallout from Sunday's Academy Awards intensified yesterday as world leaders responded to America's unprecedented decision to use Hollywood's biggest night to launch a surprise attack on the innocent citizens of France. Freedom fries are one thing: enlisting Beyoncé to sing a song with French lyrics - well, this can only mean war.

Unwilling to back down, the Bush administration was busy yesterday cajoling nations to join its Beyoncé-inspired coalition of the tuneless. As Condoleeza Rice put it to Spain's representative at the United Nations: "You have Spanish songs. We have David Hasselhoff. Put the two together and, well, you do the math, senor."

Meanwhile, the French government amended its complaint to the war crimes tribunal to include not only Beyoncé's "vocals of beaucoup de destruction" but the fact that, while the staging called for Beyoncé to appear franco-sultry and franco-seductive, her facial expressions instead conveyed the look of one who had just been shot in the thigh with an arrow.

This just in: Having discovered that Beyoncé is the girlfriend of Jay-Z, France has abruptly withdrawn its protests and gone into hiding somewhere in Belgium.
(end of quote)

Last edited by baracine; 03-03-05 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
That looked like a joke to me. What wasn't a joke was Louis Gossett Jr. sleeping in his chair sometime during the show, I can't remember when I saw it.
LOL, I knew I couldn't have been the only one to notice that!!! Old LG was completely crashed, mouth open and all.

Matter of fact though, why was Gossett even there?
Old 03-02-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
I think Sean Penn is friends with Law, and that's why he said it. I can see why he felt he needed to say something.
Sean Penn is currently shooting a film with Jude Law which is the reason he said he felt he had to say something.
Old 03-02-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by M Polo
Matter of fact though, why was Gossett even there?
He's been there almost every year since he won Best Supporting Actor for AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN.
Old 03-02-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
He's been there almost every year since he won Best Supporting Actor for AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN.

are you sure it wasn't Jaws 3?
Old 03-02-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
are you sure it wasn't Jaws 3?
It definitely wasn't for Iron Eagle 3.
Old 03-02-05, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Strange Oscar trivia: when Hillary Swank accepted her award, the announcer said that this was the first time a female performer was nominated for playing a boxer. Wow, that's the best they could dig up in the way of "interesting facts"? Considering the only other movie with a female boxer I can think of starred Michelle "Genealogy" Rodriguez, I'm not too impressed.
Later, when they were announcing Julia Roberts as a presenter I added "She's also the first woman ever to win an Oscar for playing a crusading lawyer who won a huge settlement from PG&E"
Old 03-07-05, 02:19 PM
Suspended

Do they ever call her "Beyatché"? Just wonderin'...
Old 03-07-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was pretty embarrasing(for the Academy) to have the person who actually sang the song in the movie (in this case the girl from Phantom) introducing Beyoncé to sing it instead.