Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oscars 2005 : Most Embarrassing Moment...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oscars 2005 : Most Embarrassing Moment...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
yes, there was plenty of glory in their performance

anyway, just because something is in spanish doesn't mean it's sexy and I want to hear it and take off my shirt and salsa dance and shit. did you see that guy who won for best sound mixing for a short film or whatever that sang more Spanish tunes? gimme a break!
I don't understand why they invite the writer and singer of the song "Al Otro Lado Del Rio" to the show and won't let him sing his own song.
What I resented from Antonio Banderas performance was that he sang the song as if it was a Flamenco song. If you listen to the song in the movie or soundtrack, it wasn't intended to be sung that way.

BTW, for those who don't know what flamenco is "Flamenco today is made up of the song (cante), the dance (baile), the guitar (toque) and extra elements of rhythmic accompaniment, such as handclapping (palmas), finger snapping (pitos), tongue clicking and even knuckle bashing on a tabletop. Is a popular type of music in Spain."

The Oscars organizers need to come up with a better way to have real "singers" perform the songs on the show.
Old 02-28-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
I also believe Penn started off the statement with "For those who don't know..."
YES, he did! Making it all the more ridiculous. I have friends that could give a rat's behind about MDB or the Aviator, they're not into more "respectible" movie fare (ones who would name White Chicks as their favorite movie of the year) --- they all know who Jude Law is and were all thought his lack of humor to be stupid. No one doubts his ability, he's good.

Dude, it was a joke at how many movies Jude has been in recently. And he could care less as he's cashing pretty good checks with each role.
Old 02-28-05, 12:22 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
I thought it was embarrassing that the telecast audio levels on the opening montage, the announcer, and the stage mic were so undermixed as to be almost inaudible at most points. I was dynamically adjusting the volume on my tv throughout the whole show just so I could hear what the hell was being said. It's like they mic'd the auditorium but had no direct feed for the vocals.
On the plus side, the opening montage, like all the montages on the past Oscar shows, was top-notch. I'd gladly buy a DVD with nothing but Oscar montages (at the proper sound level, of course) that I can freeze-frame. There are serious minds at work, here. Some of the connections between two or more films were just precious and show a profound understanding of the art of film.
Old 02-28-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't like the 'second class' oscar winners being dissed.
I actually didn't mind Sean Penn, I didn't think he was all that out of line.
I thought drunk Dustin Hoffman was HILARIOUS.

I actually enjoyed the Oscars last night.
Old 02-28-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the french inputs from those who can understand the language. Now I find it even more amusing because all my female co-workers here are all gushing at her performance.
Old 02-28-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

with all the beyonce exposure, my guess is that someone owes jay-z money.
Old 02-28-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I found all of the hip hop references kind of funny since I think 90% of the audience didn't get it.

I think it was probably the first and last time that a host sign off an Oscar telecast with a shout out to Brooklyn.
Old 02-28-05, 03:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Strange Oscar trivia: when Hillary Swank accepted her award, the announcer said that this was the first time a female performer was nominated for playing a boxer. Wow, that's the best they could dig up in the way of "interesting facts"? Considering the only other movie with a female boxer I can think of starred Michelle "Genealogy" Rodriguez, I'm not too impressed.
Old 02-28-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sean Penn not being able to take a joke.
I concur.

That and having "The Beautiful Beyonce" sing three out of the five nominated songs, Banderas singing another one while Santana wore a designer Che shirt. Moron.
Old 02-28-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess I'm just about the only one who enjoyed the new ways of handing out awards. I even thought it was cool that they had Scarlett up in the balcony at the one point. The only part I didn't like about it was when with the best animated short they had one of the nominees sitting a few seats in, past another nominee who was on the aisle. Sure enough, the guy sitting further in won and the guy who had lost out had to stand up to let the winner buy. Kind of awkward there, but otherwise I thought it was great.
Old 02-28-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1997
I guess I'm just about the only one who enjoyed the new ways of handing out awards.
Didn't bother me at all - much better than watching someone in the back of the theater take five minutes to get to the front. They got right to the point.
Old 02-28-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Embarrassing is, who is Beyonce sleeping with to get the nod to sing so many frickin' nominees what with all the musical talent in the world? Also, the Academy trying to rush Hilary off the stage during her acceptance speech. I can certainly understand doing that for some of the less notable Oscars, but NOT any of the big five winners.
Old 02-28-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait a damn minute. Somebody fell or was heard falling, and I damn missed it.

At what point was this fall? I would like to go back and see/hear it.

-------

At first, I was not liking the "all nominees on stage/audience award" approach, but I started to like it. I'm sorry, but those awards are the "little" awards. More than half the audience (watching on television) has not seen or care about those nominees. I know that sounds bad, but it is the truth.

I liked the fast pace setting and sometimes I sat here and wondered when they were going to go to a commerical break.

------

Most embarassing moment had to be Jamie Foxx winning and doing the Oh Ah thing. THANK YOU that I don't have to hear that anymore (unless they show a clip of it on ET tonight - guess I'll watch Wheel Of Fortune just in case).

Last edited by conscience; 02-28-05 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-28-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, I didn't really like any of the songs that were nominated this year, foreign language or not. They all seemed pretty average and some were a bit dull. I don't know why they didn't stick with the idea they had a few years ago where they had a small section of the song performed by the performer (if possible), one right after another, instead of having a musical interlude every 15 minutes or so. I was happy to see the exclusion of the montage for each Best Picture nominee; that always seemed to eat up a lot of time without really doing anything.
Old 02-28-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nightmaster
Embarrassing is, who is Beyonce sleeping with to get the nod to sing so many frickin' nominees what with all the musical talent in the world? Also, the Academy trying to rush Hilary off the stage during her acceptance speech. I can certainly understand doing that for some of the less notable Oscars, but NOT any of the big five winners.
They gave her as much time as everyone else got, but honestly, she was thanking everyone she has ever worked with. When you get to thanking your lawyers, managers, assistants, maids, etc, it is time to wrap it up.
Old 02-28-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by conscience

Most embarassing moment had to be Jamie Foxx winning and doing the Oh Ah thing. THANK YOU that I don't have to hear that anymore (unless they show a clip of it on ET tonight - guess I'll watch Wheel Of Fortune just in case).
That was pretty bad (I didn't notice him getting the orchestra pushoff either), but the guy that went up there singing the Spanish song shoud've gotten the orchestra right after the first few notes. This ain't the Grammy's.
Old 02-28-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
Wait a damn minute. Somebody fell or was heard falling, and I damn missed it.

At what point was this fall? I would like to go back and see/hear it.
i believe it was emmy rossum as she was walking behind the curtain towards the open stage. i was tivo'ing the show and rewound it twice to confirm. you can see her take an awkward step, appear to slip, and an "oh" is heard. i will recheck tonight it i still have it on tivo.

kms
Old 02-28-05, 04:34 PM
Suspended

I hope this is not too off-course but the subject of the Best Animation Short, Ryan Larkin, who was an animator for NFB (National Film Board of Canada) in the 50's and 60's and whose film "Walking" was nominated for an Oscar in 1970, whose career was destroyed by alcohol and cocaine, and who is now a panhandling hobo in the streets of Montreal, was watching the Oscars from a Montreal bar last night...

The embarrassing moment would have come if Oscar had had a camera in that tavern. But considering they didn't even seat the director of the winning entry "Ryan" on an aisle seat, this is unlikely.

The story with pictures:
http://www.canada.com/montreal/montr...6-9472831b635a

Last edited by baracine; 02-28-05 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-28-05, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
This USAToday review seems to think most of the show was an embarrassment:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...o-review_x.htm

Nice review of the Oscars by USAToday. I agree completely with them. The Oscar's this year for me was one big snoozefest!

Big to Clint Eastwood!

Loved Hillary Swank's dress

Take care all!!
Old 02-28-05, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
I thought it was embarrassing that the telecast audio levels on the opening montage, the announcer, and the stage mic were so undermixed as to be almost inaudible at most points. I was dynamically adjusting the volume on my tv throughout the whole show just so I could hear what the hell was being said. It's like they mic'd the auditorium but had no direct feed for the vocals.

I am glad that it wasn't just me that thought the audio was hankey!!

I was on the computer in the next room and heard it sounding funky. Went and played with my sound system to try to improve it but no joy. Gave up on trying.

Take care all!!
Old 02-28-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
This USAToday review seems to think most of the show was an embarrassment:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...o-review_x.htm
USA Today is completely out of touch. Rock may not have been as good as Crystal, but he was certainly better than Whoopi or Dave Letterman and on par with Steve Martin. I thought his opening monologe was pretty funny, and found the Magic Johnson theater segment hilarious. The only thing Rock failed at (which Crystal and Martin do so well) is coming up with spontaneous zingers about things that happen as the night goes on.
Old 02-28-05, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by badger1997
I guess I'm just about the only one who enjoyed the new ways of handing out awards.
I didn't mind it at all either. Sure, I like to see the stars and performances but the main reason I watch the Oscars is...to see who won! I don't care how or where they present the awards.

...and btw I thought Chris Rock was hilarious.
Old 02-28-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by B.A.
I concur.

That and having "The Beautiful Beyonce" sing three out of the five nominated songs, Banderas singing another one while Santana wore a designer Che shirt. Moron.

That made me laugh also. Wear the symbol of someone who was totally against Capitalism in high end fashion.

I think the most embarassing things were the whole "Oscar Night at the Apollo" moments. Beyonce singing, Prince presenting, P-diddy presenting (WTF!?)

Sean Penn was just a jack ass. Chris rock seemed to alienate a couple of folks from the get go with his "actors and famous people" skit and the whole Bush bashing. Not needed in the show.
Old 02-28-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the most embarrassing moment of the oscars was every single time that chris rock opened his mouth.

god he is awful
Old 02-28-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
Banderas may be relatively new to singing (he learned for the reprise of "Nine" on Broadway) but at least Spanish is his native toungue and he and Carlos Santana did a glorious job of it, IMHO.
I thought it was terrible...painfully bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.