Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oscars 2005 : Most Embarrassing Moment...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oscars 2005 : Most Embarrassing Moment...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Rock hosting.
Old 02-28-05, 07:41 PM

Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, need I say more
Old 02-28-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ReservoirDog45
Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, need I say more
Yeah, that was pretty much the worst part of the show. I was just waiting for them to mention that they were starring together in the upcoming movie The Longest Yard, with special guest star Burt Reynolds. What infant wrote that bit and thought it would be funny, especially delivered that way?
Old 02-28-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I forgot to mention this before, but there was one categorey which was handed out in the aisle, I think for one of the 'shorts' categories (animated, live action, or documentary), in which one of the nominees appeared to be asleep. He was nudged awake by the person next to him, but that can't look too good. Of course it was funny to me, but probably won't sit too well with Academy members, especially the next time the guy is up for an award.
Old 02-28-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... it was an incredibly dull, boring show, after all..

. . . . . .
Old 02-28-05, 09:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Overall, I enjoyed the show.
I guess everyone has their minor bitches here and there...but I expected the show to be what it was so I was fine with it. Having TiVo never hurts either. Honestly, how often is an Oscar nominated song worth a damn? Or when hasn't a star taken themselves too seriously? Yes, Penn was a turd. Beyonce sucks and Oprah giving the black power fist left a lot to be desired.

But the only thing that irked me was Sam Jackson presenting. Since I first saw Jackson in Pulp Fiction I thought this guy was made of stone. Honestly, there isn't another actor who seems to be as badass as Jackson. Just watching the IFC awards Saturday night kinda proved this. But he flubbed a word while presenting, and instead of moving on without a pause he rolled his eyes upwards and you could see him become self-concious about messing up. Would a badass really care? I think not...and that was the most embarrassing moment of the show. It really let me down.
Ransom
Old 03-01-05, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts
As far as the last time an Oscar song performance was worth a damn -- Bruce Springstein performing "Streets of Philadelphia." Last year's performances from Cold Mountain were pretty good as well. I think that they Academy is trying to re-inforce the concept that the award is supposed to be for the song not the performace or the performer. At least we aren't getting the dramatic interp performances anymore . . .

However, I personally find it to be painfully disrepectful to the writer to slap the flavor of the week pop star on their songs. Let the nominee select who they want to perform.

Thankfully I did not pay any attention to the Beyonce performances (I didn't even realize that she had done 3 of them!). However I kept trying to figure out who the druggie was that they kept showing. Finally somebody made mention of JayZ (or Jay Zee, or whatever it is) and that explained who he was . . . still didn't explain why they kept showing him.

The Oscars seem to be having a real identity crisis. Are they supposed to be the serious awards that reward the top performances of the year, or are they supposed to appeal to the masses? Honestly, they seem to be trying to do both and it is not working. Let the Golden Globes or MTV appeal to the masses. Dump the schlocky "celeb of the moment" presenters, don't let Chris Rock host again, and for the movie gods' sake don't ever let Adam Sandler in the building again! Oh yeah, send the pop performers back to the Source Awards!
Old 03-01-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
I forgot to mention this before, but there was one categorey which was handed out in the aisle, I think for one of the 'shorts' categories (animated, live action, or documentary), in which one of the nominees appeared to be asleep. He was nudged awake by the person next to him, but that can't look too good. Of course it was funny to me, but probably won't sit too well with Academy members, especially the next time the guy is up for an award.
That looked like a joke to me. What wasn't a joke was Louis Gossett Jr. sleeping in his chair sometime during the show, I can't remember when I saw it.
Old 03-01-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by david12
But the only thing that irked me was Sam Jackson presenting. Since I first saw Jackson in Pulp Fiction I thought this guy was made of stone. Honestly, there isn't another actor who seems to be as badass as Jackson. Just watching the IFC awards Saturday night kinda proved this. But he flubbed a word while presenting, and instead of moving on without a pause he rolled his eyes upwards and you could see him become self-concious about messing up. Would a badass really care? I think not...and that was the most embarrassing moment of the show. It really let me down.
Ransom
I think you really need to understand the difference between an actor and a role he might play. Actors are rarely as badass as they seem in most movie roles. Most of the ones I've met are self-conscious and somewhat shy. They are usually as normal as the rest of us, they just get more attention because of what profession they are in. It seems a bit childish to let something like Sam Jackson flubbing a word upset you so much.
Old 03-01-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
prince at the oscars. it seemed like he was reading those forgein names for the first time, and had trouble with the promptor.
Old 03-01-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FinkPish
When you get to thanking your lawyers, managers, assistants, maids, etc, it is time to wrap it up.
Next year they'll just have one of these sitting up on stage.

Old 03-01-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
prince at the oscars. it seemed like he was reading those forgein names for the first time, and had trouble with the promptor.
That was definitely awkward. Why was he there anyway? Was Michael Jackson originally scheduled to give out that award?
Old 03-01-05, 12:44 PM
Suspended

Scott Feschuk, of the Toronto National Post, is the only columnist so far to talk - in a joking way - about the Beyoncé kerfuffle. After saying her song caused the flooring of a United Nations motion by France, he adds:

"This just in: Having discovered that Beyoncé is the girlfriend of Jay-Z, France has abruptly withdrawn its protests and gone into hiding somewhere in Belgium."
Old 03-01-05, 12:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

That looked like a joke to me. What wasn't a joke was Louis Gossett Jr. sleeping in his chair sometime during the show, I can't remember when I saw it.
What? I must've missed that! Any screencaps?
Old 03-01-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
What? I must've missed that! Any screencaps?
No, sorry, didn't record it. Maybe someone who Tivo'ed it can track some down. It was towards the end of the show, maybe during one of the last songs. Sometime when they were getting crowd reactions to something on stage.
Old 03-01-05, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I don't understand why they invite the writer and singer of the song "Al Otro Lado Del Rio" to the show and won't let him sing his own song.
I had a similar complaint about having Andrew LLoyd Webber play the piano for Beyonce...and having Emmy Rossum introduce it. Since she's there anyways, why not have her sing it?

This wasn't meant as another Beyonce bash. Just about how stupid I thought that was.
Old 03-01-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MY big question is why do they have to have the songs performed in full in the first place? If you take a look at the amount of time spent on each category, "Best Song" gets far and away more attention than any other. (Figure about 4 minutes per song, that's 20 minutes spent on "Best Song" not even counting the actual presentation of the award - insanity!) What did "Best Song" do to deserve such favoritism? Why is it that for "Best Score" we get 5 seconds of each, when the songs (arguably a lot less important to movies in general) get their full-blown production?

Get rid of the songs. I don't want to watch a variety show, I want to watch an awards show. If a 5-second snippet is good enough for score, it's good enough for song.
Old 03-01-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redinger
I had a similar complaint about having Andrew LLoyd Webber play the piano for Beyonce...and having Emmy Rossum introduce it. Since she's there anyways, why not have her sing it?

This wasn't meant as another Beyonce bash. Just about how stupid I thought that was.
maybe ahe was too shy to sing it live. remeber 2 years ago when Renee didn't sing that new song from chicago.
Old 03-01-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mistafadedglory
My thoughts exactly... who was the marketing genious who came up with the Beyonce and the Antonio "Zorro" Banderas performances, and said, "...you know? I"ll bet America will really want to see this." Awful...
My professor is actually friends with Jorge, and she had talked with him beforehand about who they were having sing it. He said originally the producers approached him and said "We're thinking of having Beyonce do it." His response was "... does she even know Spanish? No, we can't do that..." they then asked him who should do it. He said "I can... it's my song" But they wanted a name, so they went with Banderas, and Jorge wasn't the happiest about that, but figured at least he knew Spanish
Old 03-01-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
No, sorry, didn't record it. Maybe someone who Tivo'ed it can track some down. It was towards the end of the show, maybe during one of the last songs. Sometime when they were getting crowd reactions to something on stage.

The guy asleep in his chair was a JOKE. He was playing to camera!!!!

It was a joke!!!!!!
Old 03-01-05, 05:04 PM

I agree with having best songs preformed. It's not the Grammy's, I want to see movies get awards not people singing and dancing
Old 03-01-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe

It was a joke!!!!!!
FinkPish was referring to Louis Gossett Jr., not the best short nom who pretended to be asleep when the were announcing his catagory.

I have to agree with those who said Rock and Sandler. Good God was that hack material, and they just kept running the same joke into the ground.
Old 03-01-05, 05:43 PM

most embarrassing moment...

...when I admitted to someone that I actually watched that heap of shit.

(Only joking, I enjoyed it).
Old 03-01-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe

It was a joke!!!!!!
[Sean Penn]For those of you who don't know . . . [/Sean Penn]
Old 03-01-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Sean Penn is friends with Law, and that's why he said it. I can see why he felt he needed to say something. If I were Jude Law, I'd have felt a little better afterwords. Didn't seem like a big deal to me. Rock wasn't just saying Jude Law had been in a lot of movies in the past year, he said more.

Anyways, poor Tobey got no love

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.