Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jason vs Freddy.... vs ASH!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jason vs Freddy.... vs ASH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
that may have been true perhaps.. ten years ago. But after you can buy an ARMY OF DARKNESS shirt at hot topic before you head on over to your local EB and pick up a cheap copy of the Evil Dead video game and head over to the comic shop and pick up the army of darkness...... and then head over to best buy to have your choice of any one of the various RE-released copies of Evil dead and Army of darkness. I would have to say that the mainstream has been fllled with the knowledge of Ash/Evil Dead.

It's not a cult thing anymore. The Cult mentality of "no one knows about it.. so it's cool" has been over a long time ago.

Most people who read comics play video games and shop at Hot topic they are all the same. That's not mainstream. I dated many girls who didnt know Ash and Hot Topic.

Last edited by Catch 21; 08-19-04 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-19-04, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow. I usually related hot topic with mainstream since there is pretty much one in every mall now a days.

besides that look at all the fads and trends that go on there. Once it's hit there it blows up like a shit storm.

Take Nightmare before christmas. All was quiet. I had to buy my shit import from japan. paid a lot back in the day. Then Hot topic got a hold of it and now every little goth wanna be and high schooler has something NBC.

If that's not mainstream I'm not sure what is. I think the low price anchor bay has put on it and the repeat airings of army of darkness on cable outlets has made it into just another old film. think of it as the Weird Science of the 90's. Not many people know it by name, but you show a picture and I'm pretty certain they can connect the dots.

When it comes to horror that is typically the case. Unless it's a signiture name then seeing the face alone is a dead give away. I would relate Ash as fairly mainstream now a days. I suppose that's just me.
Old 08-19-04, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
wow. I usually related hot topic with mainstream since there is pretty much one in every mall now a days.
Yes but hardly anyone ever goes into them. Mostly dorky 15-year-olds with liprings who eventually grow out of the look. I used to work at one.
Old 08-19-04, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
Yes but hardly anyone ever goes into them. Mostly dorky 15-year-olds with liprings who eventually grow out of the look. I used to work at one.
Exactly, now if you said the GAP, that's a different story.
Old 08-19-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Rivero
But you see the problem is every 14-16 year old goes into one as they go through that phase. When they have shirts with ash on them or army of darkness hanging on the wall those 14-16 year olds see that. Buy it cause it's the latest thing and that in my mind is mainstream. It's still a store in the mall that obvuiously is successful or else it wouldn't be in just about every mall across the country.

Working at one does not make you above any of those kids by the way.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 08-19-04 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-19-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
I think I have had a few different thoughts in topics than what Jackskeleton has said,but I have to say that I agree 100% with him right now.
I think it sucks that people find out about,or only know of something like this because some 'cool' company put them on a shirt.What is sad is they have no idea about them,only what they see on the shirt and lunch pail.
Mainstream,yes.If some 16yr old has no idea about something other than what he see's on a product sold in a 'trendy' store,it breaks down all the 'cult' about it.All the history behind it and making it look cheap.

Getting back to the movie.I think the 'mainstreaming' of these icons is what is turning out in the movies.
I dont like the idea and dont care who does it.
FvsJ was something we wanted YEARS ago and I dont mind it so much.But now here are studios wanting to tie everyone with everyone.IMO it makes it a mockery,and only lets jerks put the thing down more.

VS. is the next big thing I think and I am not really a big fan.

This is only my opinion and I am sure others are wanting this to be made.That is fine.It may make for good entertainment.But to me it is making all these franchises look like shit from beggining to end.
Old 09-28-04, 12:58 PM

FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH & EVIL DEAD 4 A GO?

A scooper has passed along some HUGE news.

If what this person has to say is true, then this would be the genre news of the year. This scooper says that he/she just recently wrapped on a project with Robert Englund and heard some big news while on the set. Here’s the scoop, so do with it what you will:

------------------------------------------------------------

Next up Englund's going to be doing double-duty on a new horror pic and a new mini-series reincarnation of "V", the old series he use to appear in. He seems genuinely excited about it, and I believe they're all rooting that it gets the greenlight to be a later series.

Then....it's Freddy vs.Jason 2. They have the script, and yep, it does include the Ash character from Evil Dead. The same guy, Bruce Campbell, is doing the part. It's been a money situation apparently because one company owns one character whilst another owns the Freddy and Jason characters. everyone wants their piece of the pie apparently, including the actors of course. They've all got their way though apparently and it'll be shot back to back with a new "Evil Dead" movie with Campbell, all part of the deal apparently, there's talk that this might be released first to reinvigorate fans of that series and have the films link in some respect. exciting stuff.

------------------------------------------------------------

Cool! I find it interesting that a fourth Evil Dead film would be part of the deal. Like our scooper says, it would probably make more sense to release the Evil Dead film first to set up the F.V.J.V.A flick.

We’ll keep an eye on this for you.

Source

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 09-28-04 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-28-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ash, lets end the madness...
Old 09-29-04, 12:49 PM
Suspended

hmm.. www.bruce-campbell.com used to say the movie wasn't happening. That little paragrah is now gone... Could it really be true?
Old 09-29-04, 12:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, a fourth Evil Dead would be cool, but what about Sam Raimi's participation? I wouldn't care that he be involved with the FvJvA project (because it's more of a spinoff to me than official canon), but Evil Dead 4 without Sam just doesn't sit well with me.
Old 09-29-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
A new Evil Dead film? I'll put up with an Ash vs Freddy vs Jason film if I can get a new ED film... hopefully Raimi is directing and whatnot.
Old 09-29-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And to concide with this release, Anchor Bay's putting out The Evil Dead Trilogy : ULTIMATE EDITION a.k.a The "We Really Mean It This Time" box set

I'm kidding

Or am I?
Old 09-29-04, 02:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by darqleo
And to concide with this release, Anchor Bay's putting out The Evil Dead Trilogy : ULTIMATE EDITION a.k.a The "We Really Mean It This Time" box set
Elite Entertainmant is too!!! Although MGM's region 3 release is expected to have the best transfers but no extras.
Old 09-29-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by necros
hmm.. www.bruce-campbell.com used to say the movie wasn't happening. That little paragrah is now gone... Could it really be true?
Could have been just bumped down off the front page. Till he actually writes a news piece about it being true, I wouldn't jump to a conclusion.

as for ED4

Are there any plans to make an Evil Dead IV?

No.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-29-04 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

VS movies are nothing new.....Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman was before all of our times, and Lord knows Universal kept throwing together the big monster players in those days to make a few bucks. Frankly I'd love an FVJ versus Ash movie just for the flavor Bruce would bring to the mix. I'm easy to please, however
Old 09-29-04, 06:11 PM

I think this is pretty cool and exciting news myself. I can't believe how many people are bitching about it. It's not like you have to see it if they do make it. Yeesh.
Old 09-29-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
While I would have liked a different grouping of horror icons, this will do just fine.
Old 10-08-04, 02:53 PM

It's going to happen and be done right.

Freddy vs Jason vs Ash!!!!!
Old 10-08-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still not convinced.
Old 10-08-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ketamine
It's going to happen and be done right.

Freddy vs Jason vs Ash!!!!!
From that article : Katz: As a fan, I think Michael would be an ill-fit with Freddy and Jason as - in Michael Myers’ universe in the Halloween films - Michael is a real guy, Thorn notwithstanding.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding somehow, but if Michael Myers isn't an option because he is a "real guy", what makes Ash not a "real guy"?
Old 10-08-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know, right? What makes Jason not a real guy for that matter? He's basically the same as Michael Meyers really - human dude who can't die.

Perhaps he meant that Michael Meyers is real and the Halloween movies aren't movies at all, but documentaries.
Old 10-08-04, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by darqleo
From that article : Katz: As a fan, I think Michael would be an ill-fit with Freddy and Jason as - in Michael Myers’ universe in the Halloween films - Michael is a real guy, Thorn notwithstanding.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding somehow, but if Michael Myers isn't an option because he is a "real guy", what makes Ash not a "real guy"?
Though Ash is a "real guy" he really isn't after AoD. He walked through numbers of monsters like they were nothing. They will obviously have to take Ash's fight against Freddy and Jason with some level of tongue-in-cheek humor because he obviously couldn't stand toe to toe and exchanges blows with those guys. I think that Myers is different b/c there is no humor involved so his charter so he really has no place in this movie b/c he couldn't stand toe to toe with the other 2 guys in a straight up fight (though I may be wrong since I am not a Halloween fan).
Old 10-08-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think he's right on target. Freddy and Jason, even on their own, had become rather self mocking while retaining their horror aspects. Freddy versus Jason was hardly a serious movie, relishing in some of the sillier aspects of the series. I mean, it's a damn versus movie, what do you expect, scary?

Now, Halloween was always fairly down to earth. Sure Michael Myers just wouldn't die, but it was grounded far moreso than either of those other series, and had no humor.

Now Ash...he's a goofy character who's Evil Dead universe is pretty much comedy and gore, which would be a nice fit with the silliness of Freddy and Jason. Gore, Freddy, Jason, and Ash. That's a movie right there. A good one? Well, a fun B movie quite possibly.
Old 10-08-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought the Halloween movies were hilarious.
Old 10-11-04, 09:16 AM

Shit!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.