Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jason vs Freddy.... vs ASH!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jason vs Freddy.... vs ASH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think we have to worry too much about screwing up the ED timeline...he went back in time before...why not again?

I would much rather see ED4, but if all I am gonna get is FvJvA then I'm gonna go see it.
Old 08-17-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I'd be fine with Ash vs. Freddy - since they're both good characters and good actors play them and it'd be nice seeing Englund and Campble play off of each other.

However, I do not want to see Jason anywhere near this. That character is a syphon and will make everything around him suck, including these two.
Old 08-17-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I'd rather see an Evil Dead 4 that takes place in the future, frankly.
I always hated that ending.

Jason's problem is he's unstoppable and lacks any sense of humor. Freddy and Ash both have a little of that slapstick humor in them. Jason just keeps on going and going and going and going and going.
Old 08-17-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Jason's problem is he's unstoppable and lacks any sense of humor. Freddy and Ash both have a little of that slapstick humor in them.
Sounds like a perfect formula for some Three Stooges action. Sam Raimi really should direct this....
Old 08-17-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Triple S
You forgot one other New Line project...

Freddy vs Jason vs... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Hell yeah! Now I would kill people to see that
Old 08-17-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Freddy vs Jason vs The Mask. Is that slapstick enough fer ya?
Old 08-17-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by Triple S
You forgot one other New Line project...

Freddy vs Jason vs... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
You got me thinking...

vs
Old 08-17-04, 06:59 PM

Evil Dead should be about Ash fending off the Evil Dead (plural), not just one or two guys chasing him.
It doesn't have to be just that. Why not throw an army of Evil Dead into the mix as well? Plus, aren't Freddy and Jason both evil and dead?
And like someone else said, it would screw with the ED timeline.
Timeline, schmineline. You could set the movie in the past, present, future or an alternative universe, it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 08-17-04 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 07:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Freddy vs. Jason vs. what's his name from Dark City
Old 08-17-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Keep Freddy and Jason away from Ash please... kthx.

I saw an interview with Bruce where he suggested that he and Raimi want to do an ED4, but that'll have to wait at least until Raimi is done making Spider Man movies. I know Bruce wants to play Ash again, but I hope he doesn't do something like this just to scratch an itch.
Old 08-17-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I think this could be fun. It's Bruce Campbell. I'll pay to see him in just about anything.
Old 08-18-04, 12:16 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't mind it, because I don't really see any of these Vs. movies as "official" entries in each franchise. They're more like spinoffs to me. When I watch old Friday the 13th movies, I don't think "Gee, this is the same universe as Freddy", or vice versa. Sure there was the Freddy glove scene in Jason Goes to Hell, but I don't count that movie as F13 'canon', either. Besides, the Freddy glove DOES appear in the cellar in Evil Dead 2...
Old 08-18-04, 12:25 AM
Suspended

While I got nothing but love for Bruce, and I really dig the evil dead films - I cant see this. Ash would SO get his ass kicked in this match-up.

Naw, just bring in another mass murdering killer to go at it.
Old 08-18-04, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Take this for however you wish...

'FREDDY vs JASON vs ASH' TREATMENT REVIEW!
BEWARE OF ANY SPOILERS!!
From Bloody-Disgusting

I've had this news post ready for a long time now, but held off on posting anything for the saftey of B-D and the sake of the movie, but with the stories breaking today, I decided to go for it! A couple of weeks ago I was sitting at a park bench when I was approached by a hideous creature- probably a demon from hell. He says to me, "I know you're that horror nut Mr. D and I've got an offer for you, trade me your soul for a look at the script for Freddy vs Jason vs Ash." How could I refuse? I told him to throw in an almond cookie, and then we had a deal. Out of thin air pops the script- bound like the Necronomicon. I figured since I'm already damned to hell; I might as well share my thoughts with you, read on for the scoop!
As you figured, I have read the script 'treatment' for Freddy vs Jason vs Ash, there were only a couple lines of dialogue, it was basically the story told in storybook form- from the beginning to the final bloody climax. If there is one thing I want you to gain from this review, it's that Freddy vs Jason vs Ash makes up for all of the mistakes in the first film (like missing Freddy kill scenes)!

I must keep this review vague, so New Line doesn't castrate me for real, and use the footage in the next Texas Chainsaw Massacre film- but I'll give you a taste of the forbidden fruits- because Mr. D wants his readers happy!

Freddy vs Jason vs Ash will be one of the greatest horror movies of all time, because the script shows that it understands the characters, the history of each backstory, the cliche's and most of all- the genre.

The most important thing that drives this amazing story is this one fact that has eluded all of our minds- the Necronomicon is in the Voorhees house! Sure you remember, it's in the basement, it appeared in Jason Goes to Hell- now it's all coming back to you, isn't it?

The movie takes place almost directly after Freddy vs Jason, when Freddy winks (yep, the wink was for a reason), the movie wasn't really over- did you really think it would be that easy after 25 years of terror? I'm not going to tell you anything more, except that this is probably one of the coolest 'comebacks' in the history of sequels.

Now Ash, how does he fit into the mix? Quite simply- he wants to destroy the Necronomicon and fulfill his destiny, which was prophesized in the Evil Dead series (the series couldn't end yet, he hasn't achieved his destiny). Well without me giving away the story, somehow Jason, Freddy and the "born under a bad sign" ass-kickin Ash come face to face to face- numerous times. The continuity is genuine and fantastic- every angle was thought out, there are NO plot holes that I can see and everything makes complete sense. It really almost seems like it was masterminded almost a decade ago.

Lets talk Ash: Hes the same old Ashley J. Williams that's been in the first three films- only he's older and sick of playing around. He's on a mission, and when he must make decisions between himself and other outside factors, he almost always chooses 'himself'- typical of Ash. He still works at S-mart and there just happens to be a new S-mart opening right by the 'new' Crystal Lake- wink wink.

Jason: He's the same kick-ass Ken Kirzinger looking Jason (a la Jason Lives, the best of the series), only there's a twist, and when you find out this twist- you are going to crap yourselves- no bull! Can you say better Friday the 13th movies in the future (no, he doesn't turn into a robot)?

Freddy: Oh Freddy is pissed this time, and we get to see more of the crazy looking demon Freddy- I'm so excited! He's tricky, cunning, and most of all sadistically funny. But this time Freddy has a new goal, which by the sound of it, is the biggest plan that he has ever concocted! You wanted a Nightmare on Elm Street movie, you got one!

One reason this movie is going to be a blast is that 2/3 of the movie looks to be as big as- or even bigger than- the battle at the end of Freddy vs Jason. The tone is even more serious, and the pace is quick. There isn't too much time explaining the history of the characters- we pretty much just get a short Ash flashback story- for the goons who've never seen an Evil Dead movie.

There is a new environment, which should quite interesting. The movie takes place around Christmas, so there's snow and ice and everyone is just so cheery!

But most of all, I love the "nods" to each franchise. There is a certain sequence that involved Ash, and the return of his cut off hand, which is by far one of the greatest ideas I've ever heard of; I yelled out loud, "NO FUC#!NG WAY!" It's so hard for me to keep this under wraps, because it is seriously so brilliant.

I promise you, I was afraid that this wouldn't work, but it does. Everything is perfectly packaged and sealed with a pretty (bloody) bow. I'm sorry I couldn't give you more, but I don't want to get the powers that be at New Line mad, I'm sure they're already wondering where I got the treatment from. ::ziiiippp:: goes my lips.

This is your new best friend Mr. Disgusting signing off...

Please Note: #1. Do NOT email me any questions, because this is the extent
that I can go, no further.

#2 Kane Hodder as of right now will 100% NOT be returning as Jason- and Ronny Yu is almost confirmed to direct...

Robert Englund Reveals Even More!

BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!!

I only revealed so much of what I read in New Line Cinema's Freddy vs Jason vs Ash treatment , to avoid losing my head- but thank god Robert Englund likes to talk, because today was a perfect day for him to reveal more on the synopsis, which I couldn't elaborate on. Read on for the scoop...

During an interview with Sci Fi.com Robert Englund was quoted as saying,

"The premise is that if Freddy gets his hand on the necronomicon, he can return to life, as an immortal superbeing to seek revenge on Jason. Meanwhile, Freddy has to posses sleeping kids to try to kill Jason, but Jason just annhilates them. The parents of Elm Street view this as Jason murdering kids, so they hire a few supernatural being hunters to kill Jason. They top the team with Ash, who needs the money to fund his trip to destroy the book of the dead. Freddy realises Ash has the necronomicon in his dreams, so he has to get into Ash's mind. So that interlocks the battle. Hope they finish soon, i'm looking foward to working with Bruce (Campbell) and Ken (Kirzinger)."

Last edited by VHS?; 08-18-04 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-18-04, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
"The premise is that if Freddy gets his hand on the necronomicon, he can return to life, as an immortal superbeing to seek revenge on Jason. Meanwhile, Freddy has to posses sleeping kids to try to kill Jason, but Jason just annhilates them. The parents of Elm Street view this as Jason murdering kids, so they hire a few supernatural being hunters to kill Jason. They top the team with Ash, who needs the money to fund his trip to destroy the book of the dead. Freddy realises Ash has the necronomicon in his dreams, so he has to get into Ash's mind. So that interlocks the battle. Hope they finish soon, i'm looking foward to working with Bruce (Campbell) and Ken (Kirzinger)."
Wow.. that sounds like complete crap.
Old 08-18-04, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it sounds great. A little rough around the edges, but it should be at the VERY least as good as the first FvJ.
Old 08-18-04, 07:32 AM
Banned

Re: Take this for however you wish...

Originally posted by VHS?

Freddy vs Jason vs Ash will be one of the greatest horror movies of all time, because the script shows that it understands the characters, the history of each backstory, the cliche's and most of all- the genre.

The most important thing that drives this amazing story is this one fact that has eluded all of our minds- the Necronomicon is in the Voorhees house! Sure you remember, it's in the basement, it appeared in Jason Goes to Hell- now it's all coming back to you, isn't it?

The movie takes place almost directly after Freddy vs Jason, when Freddy winks (yep, the wink was for a reason), the movie wasn't really over- did you really think it would be that easy after 25 years of terror? I'm not going to tell you anything more, except that this is probably one of the coolest 'comebacks' in the history of sequels.

Now Ash, how does he fit into the mix? Quite simply- he wants to destroy the Necronomicon and fulfill his destiny, which was prophesized in the Evil Dead series (the series couldn't end yet, he hasn't achieved his destiny). Well without me giving away the story, somehow Jason, Freddy and the "born under a bad sign" ass-kickin Ash come face to face to face- numerous times. The continuity is genuine and fantastic- every angle was thought out, there are NO plot holes that I can see and everything makes complete sense. It really almost seems like it was masterminded almost a decade ago.

Lets talk Ash: Hes the same old Ashley J. Williams that's been in the first three films- only he's older and sick of playing around. He's on a mission, and when he must make decisions between himself and other outside factors, he almost always chooses 'himself'- typical of Ash. He still works at S-mart and there just happens to be a new S-mart opening right by the 'new' Crystal Lake- wink wink.

Jason: He's the same kick-ass Ken Kirzinger looking Jason (a la Jason Lives, the best of the series), only there's a twist, and when you find out this twist- you are going to crap yourselves- no bull! Can you say better Friday the 13th movies in the future (no, he doesn't turn into a robot)?

Freddy: Oh Freddy is pissed this time, and we get to see more of the crazy looking demon Freddy- I'm so excited! He's tricky, cunning, and most of all sadistically funny. But this time Freddy has a new goal, which by the sound of it, is the biggest plan that he has ever concocted! You wanted a Nightmare on Elm Street movie, you got one!

One reason this movie is going to be a blast is that 2/3 of the movie looks to be as big as- or even bigger than- the battle at the end of Freddy vs Jason. The tone is even more serious, and the pace is quick. There isn't too much time explaining the history of the characters- we pretty much just get a short Ash flashback story- for the goons who've never seen an Evil Dead movie.

There is a new environment, which should quite interesting. The movie takes place around Christmas, so there's snow and ice and everyone is just so cheery!

But most of all, I love the "nods" to each franchise. There is a certain sequence that involved Ash, and the return of his cut off hand, which is by far one of the greatest ideas I've ever heard of; I yelled out loud, "NO FUC#!NG WAY!" It's so hard for me to keep this under wraps, because it is seriously so brilliant.

I promise you, I was afraid that this wouldn't work, but it does. Everything is perfectly packaged and sealed with a pretty (bloody) bow. I'm sorry I couldn't give you more, but I don't want to get the powers that be at New Line mad, I'm sure they're already wondering where I got the treatment from. ::ziiiippp:: goes my lips.

This is your new best friend Mr. Disgusting signing off...

Please Note: #1. Do NOT email me any questions, because this is the extent
that I can go, no further.

#2 Kane Hodder as of right now will 100% NOT be returning as Jason- and Ronny Yu is almost confirmed to direct...

Robert Englund Reveals Even More!

BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!!

I only revealed so much of what I read in New Line Cinema's Freddy vs Jason vs Ash treatment , to avoid losing my head- but thank god Robert Englund likes to talk, because today was a perfect day for him to reveal more on the synopsis, which I couldn't elaborate on. Read on for the scoop...

During an interview with Sci Fi.com Robert Englund was quoted as saying,

God I hate Hollywood.
Old 08-18-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
For real - the guy who wrote that "scoop" sounds like a hollywood suck-ass. "I love everything, it's perfect!" *splurt splurt* Gimme a break. Just because someone can write a script in which all characters are in it and can somehow semi-logically get together to battle it out doesn't mean it's a good script or a good idea to do it. I mean, I could probably write a script in which Aliens, Predator and the Aliens from Abyss all meet up in an underwater oil facility and then Dustin Hoffman uses the powers he got from Sphere to defeat the threats with his mind - that doesn't mean it wouldn't be complete crap... that is, until I add the puzzle box from Hellraiser - then it's perfect!!!11!1!!! NO WAIT! A shark poops up the corpse of Samuel Jackson from Deep Blue Sea and he has an epiphany and going the opposite route that he did from Pulp Fiction where he decides to wander the earth like Kane in Kung Fu, he decides to pick up his guns and take care of business!!11!!1 And because he's undead flesh (because the shark was owned by the Umbrella Corporation), the Aliens, Predators, Hellraisers, and water-manipulating creatures from the Abyss don't know how to defeat him!!1111!! Plus, the final showdown is between undead Sam Jackson and Sphere empowered Dustin Hoffman (who is now a demonic shape-shifter)! Oh, and Queen Latifah drives a taxi cab!
Old 08-18-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trigger, I'm stealing your idea and selling it to Hollywood bigwigs...

The premise to FvJvA doesn't sound that bad, but yes, the article is written by a gigantic/major suck-up. I just want to see Bruce Campbell back on film.
Old 08-18-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was nervous when I heard the idea, but reading that article now, I am beginning to get excited. Let's face it-Riami will never get a chance to make Evil Dead 4 (or if he does Campbell will be too old), so this is the next best thing. Also, it a weird way all three franchises link:
-Freddy's glove attacks Jason's mask (Goes to Hell)
-Freddy's glove in cellar (original Evil Dead)
-Necronomicon in Voorhees home (Goes to Hell)

My sister brought up an interesting point-outside of cult fim fanatics, mainstreamers no nothing of Ash/ED or why that character is cool.

We'll see soon....
Old 08-18-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1) Bruce Campbell is too fat to play Ash again
2) I don't want to see an Evil Dead movie without Sam Raimi as director.
Old 08-18-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey I'm all for this. if that were the plot synopsis...well fine by me. Some of you guys act like Freddy, Nightmare, or hell even Evil Dead ever had stories that were any better than that. While Evil Dead was a cut above because of Raimi's direction (same with the first Nightmare), I swear I have no idea what people expect. All three franchises are pretty much just campy gorefests, so it seems like a natural combination.

I mean if they were doing Blade Runner versus Taxi Driver, yeah that might be a bit silly for the respective films. But it's Ash, and Bruce Campbell, and quite frankly I'd be happy to see that character turn up in every goofy silly horror movie to kick butt. He's hilarious, and right at home in stupid movies. Of course I enjoyed Freddy vs. Jason as a solid gory exploitation movie too. So bring this on...I can't wait to get all drunk with my friends and watch this. Hehe.

By the way, I had heard a rumor about Stephen Norrington making FvJ2. Granted, I enjoy the first film, but I guess I'd rather have someone with a little less of the obvious pop style that Yu feels necessary to inject in this. Norrington...has got a good look. ANyone know?
Old 08-18-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My sister brought up an interesting point-outside of cult fim fanatics, mainstreamers no nothing of Ash/ED or why that character is cool
that may have been true perhaps.. ten years ago. But after you can buy an ARMY OF DARKNESS shirt at hot topic before you head on over to your local EB and pick up a cheap copy of the Evil Dead video game and head over to the comic shop and pick up the army of darkness...... and then head over to best buy to have your choice of any one of the various RE-released copies of Evil dead and Army of darkness. I would have to say that the mainstream has been fllled with the knowledge of Ash/Evil Dead.

It's not a cult thing anymore. The Cult mentality of "no one knows about it.. so it's cool" has been over a long time ago.
Old 08-18-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's not a cult thing anymore. The Cult mentality of "no one knows about it.. so it's cool" has been over a long time ago.
I think this is a great idea if done right.

I have to disagree and say that Ash is still, for the most part, a cult character. Sure, movie buffs and gamers know who he is but the average Joe would have no idea even now. None of my friends who aren't big movie fans, my in-laws (who are big movie fans), my family, most people at work, etc don't know the movies. The reason I know is b/c I try to turn people on to the movies every chance I get if we are talking movies. In fact, a majority of people that I know that have gone on to see AoD didn't really like it. My guess is that while a large number of movie fans will cheer the first time the trailer plays, most people are going to say who the F is that guy and how can he stand up to Freddy or Jason. I really hope it happens but I would guess it is still a long shot.
Old 08-18-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
that may have been true perhaps.. ten years ago. But after you can buy an ARMY OF DARKNESS shirt at hot topic before you head on over to your local EB and pick up a cheap copy of the Evil Dead video game and head over to the comic shop and pick up the army of darkness...... and then head over to best buy to have your choice of any one of the various RE-released copies of Evil dead and Army of darkness. I would have to say that the mainstream has been fllled with the knowledge of Ash/Evil Dead.

C'mon Jack. I could ask everyone here at work three questions:

(1) Ever heard of Jason Voorhees?
(2) Ever heard of Freddy Krueger?
(3) Ever heard of Ash?

I'm willing to bet which of those three questions receives a blank stare.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.