Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Open Water

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Blanchard Ryan looks more like Genesis of the Real World - Boston edition.
Old 08-20-04, 08:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jonpeters
Did the female lead remind anyone of Charlize Theron?
heh, heh.... no.
Old 08-21-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Words cannot describe the hatred I have for this movie.

The only times I enjoyed the movie is when my friend and I were pointing out Steve Lemme as one of the passengers in the boat as we quoted Club Dread.
Old 08-21-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... I just finished film school and this reminded me of most of the student films I'd see in class..except worse. The acting was average at best, the editing overly showy and the tight shots got extremely annoying. This was probably one of the worst movie's I've seen released theatrically in a while... it almost made me long to see Garfield again...ok, not quite, but this was definitely a waste of time and I was rooting for the sharks the whole time. A cool concept totally pissed on.

MATT
Old 08-21-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mdc3000
Wow... I just finished film school and this reminded me of most of the student films I'd see in class..except worse. The acting was average at best, the editing overly showy and the tight shots got extremely annoying. This was probably one of the worst movie's I've seen released theatrically in a while... it almost made me long to see Garfield again...ok, not quite, but this was definitely a waste of time and I was rooting for the sharks the whole time. A cool concept totally pissed on.

MATT

why do you think the critics went so ga ga over this movie after Sundance? they just weren't expecting it or what?
Old 08-21-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
He is married to the movie's star Blanchard Ryan & was on set the entier time of filiming & helped teach her how to dive.
They're dating, not married. Unless something's changed since last month when I spoke to her.
Old 08-21-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first 10 minutes were terrible (and not simply because they were on land). I could tell within the first twenty seconds that there was going to be trouble. Horrible camerawork, editing, and pacing abound. (Look for the first scene on the cell phone - ugh.) It just looks so amateurish...and not in the way that worked for Blair Witch.

Anyway, the movie improved once they got in the water, but I felt it never lived up to the potential of the horrific thought of two people being stranded in the middle of the ocean. There was not much build-up of tension (a distracting soundtrack likely assisted in this), and the acting by the two leads was only fair.

That being said, it wasn't a bad movie. There were some good moments, and the ending was appropriate (how many times can you say that nowadays). It's just a shame because keeping the general plot and adding better character development, editing, directing, acting, and dialogue could have made this a classic. Instead, it's a missed opportunity.

Last edited by Goldblum; 08-21-04 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-21-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BJacks
They're dating, not married. Unless something's changed since last month when I spoke to her.
I guess he was married before her I guess. He was at a Convention with Broken Lizard last winter where he said he just got back from training scuba diving with his wife for an upcoming movie she is in.
Old 08-21-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Looks like I agree with most of you. My wife & I saw this film tonight.

My rating: C

This movie gets extra points for the ending which is kick-ass. I kept waiting for the Hollywood ending but it didn't happen which really surprised us.

The male actor wasn't very good but the female was honestly terrible. I know this is a low-budget film but didn't anyone audtion for the movie or was this a case of such a low budget that friends got the main parts?

I was reminded of the Blair Witch Project but I can definitely say that the acting in Blair Witch blows this movie away.

I am glad I saw it on the big screen instead of as a rental at home. Seemed like it would have more of an impact on a movie screen.

After the show, one of the audience members with some other people said loudly that this was the worst waste of 6 bucks in a long time. The best line was after when he said to his friends, "What do you say we double down and go see The Exorcist." Now that was funny.
Old 08-22-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie gets extra points for the ending which is kick-ass.
Ending = great idea on paper, but executed horribly.

Spoiler:
Why should I like an ending, as dark as it is, when I can't even care about the characters? I should feel creeped out with an ending like the film had, not happy and clapping that the film is finally over and that the two people who have been annoying the total hell out of me for the past 75 minutes are dead. There's a great thing called character development, and the writer/director of this film needs to learn how to fucking use it.
Old 08-22-04, 05:27 AM
Cool New Member

I saw this movie last week and for me there are a lot of uncorfortable escenes, but the movie is entertained, and i recommended too
Old 08-22-04, 02:55 PM
Cool New Member

People were heckling at the screen during the showing I went to.

I think the commercials were misleading for the average moviegoer. The commercials do not get across how low budget and amateurish this movie is.

I was mildly entertained by it, but I knew full well what I was getting myself into. I would not go around recommending it to people though.
Old 08-22-04, 03:03 PM

Honestly, I was excited to see this movie, but the film was pretty mediocre at best.

I think the only thing I really liked about it was when the camera would dip beneath the surface of the water to reveal the massing sharks.

Pretty boring all the way through. Hated the end.
Old 08-22-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Saw it. Not a horror movie in the slightest. In fact, I found it more of an ironic/dark comedy until the last act. Blanchard Ryan has one of the best bodies I have ever seen on woman, will definitely get the DVD.

Question:
Spoiler:
Did the sharks get her at the end or was she just deciding to give up and drown herself?
Old 08-22-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked it. Not the best movie of the year but not the worst.

Didnt it only cost $130,-000 to make this film?
Old 08-22-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe the movie would have been better if they had been yanked underwater and sucked into an underwater dwelling where they found themselves trapped in war of aliens and predators.

Just to add, I thought the movie was three stars at best, and I'm being very generous IMO. The horror feeling was never truly present and while the characters didn't annoy me as much as I thought they would, I will admit that they were exactly the kind of people I would hope bit the big one first in a real horror movie. I just didn't like the kind of characters they played; never have ,never will.
Old 08-22-04, 07:13 PM

Many folks got up and left halfway through the screening I attended. While I didn't think it was that bad, I was also disappointed by the amateurish nature of this film. It's so irritating the way so many "elite" film critics have to fall all over themselves to advocate something that so many in the general moviegoing public will undoubtedly snicker at. Shows how out of touch many critics are.
Old 08-22-04, 07:26 PM

I was looking forward to this movie, but was quite disappointed. I didn't hate the movie, but it never really drew me in. The acting seemed pretty mediocre and one significant disappointment:
Spoiler:
Basically, everything that happened after they were left is all speculation. That's fine for a regular movie, but not for a movie touted as being a "true" story.

I heard the same thing one of the previous posters mentioned, that this isn't as uncommon as you'd think. And while any instances are too many, considering how many of these boats go out every day, these type of occurances are actually VERY rare. I did a little research and here's a website with the facts as well as the system for making sure this kind of thing doesn't happen. I found it quite interesting: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/ne...asp?newsid=444

Last edited by Sinjin; 08-22-04 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-22-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if this movie makes a good amount of money they'll do a sequel/re-make a las Evil Dead 2?
Spoiler:
It could turn out that Blanchard Ryan survived and a crew goes out to hunt down a bunch of genetically mutated cgi sharks. The movie could have Blanchard taking out a shark in mid air through bullet time photography and she could wear a skimpy thong bikini while posing for the poster with a spear gun in her hand. Maybe she could be minus a hand or arm and it could be replaced with a spear gun!

Old 08-23-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This movie was a total snore. I really don't care how low-budget a movie is, or what type of film it was shot on, as long as it's GOOD. This certainly doesn't compare to Blair Witch in any way, shape, or form, except as a wannabe.

I liked some of the ideas that Ebert brought up in his review, such as how their previous lives suddenly meant nothing when they were faced with being alone in an uncaring universe, but the execution of the film didn't get this across successfully.
Old 08-23-04, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by Sinjin
I was looking forward to this movie, but was quite disappointed. I didn't hate the movie, but it never really drew me in. The acting seemed pretty mediocre and one significant disappointment:
Spoiler:
Basically, everything that happened after they were left is all speculation. That's fine for a regular movie, but not for a movie touted as being a "true" story.

He he, you just summed up my feelings for "The Perfect Storm", once they lost their radio, who the hell knows what happened.
Old 08-23-04, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As someone who has been fascinated by sharks since I saw Jaws as a kid, I have to say I was very disappointed by this movie. My girlfriend and I were actually wanting Blanchard Ryan to get killed by the sharks. I know it was low budget film making, but she was awful. I generally agree with most of the big name critics on films, but they went overboard (no pun intended!) on this one.
Old 08-23-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
How do they not make a final head count and then double check it before they leave the area? That part just makes absolutely zero sense.

I thought they did a pretty good job of portraying the panic and paranoia they had as they were in the water.
Old 08-25-04, 10:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, surprised by the level of dislike for this. Maybe it's because I purposely didn't read any of the reviews or the hype, but I really enjoyed it. I thought the dullness of the characters and amateurishness worked for the movie... it had a pseudo-documentary feel to me, sort of like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Not as good mind you, but I still got that "I know this isn't happening, but if I suspend belief..." vibe. It didn't have any jump jolt type scares for me, but I found it pretty suspenseful.

IMO, the worst part of the movie was the a-hole guy who forgot his mask and later begs the other dude to dive with him. That actor/character was terrible and completely took me out of the movie while he was onscreen.
Old 08-26-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Although this movie is not as scary as I thought it would've been (I did buy into the hype, I guess), I still enjoyed it.

The ending has really stayed with me - I was really not expecting that. I keep on thinking about it. Maybe it's just because those non-Hollywood endings are somewhat rare.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.