Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I ROBOT Trailer!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 02:09 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow, even Proyas hated the first trailer. How interesting. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 04-14-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
New trailer doesn't look too bad.
Old 04-14-04, 03:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This trailer does not look as bad as the last one. It still looks a little predictable, but definitely a major improvement.

Anyone want to bet that the robot charged with murder ends up helping Will Smith fight all the other robots?
Old 04-14-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"ONE MAN ... SAW ... IT ... COMING!" [shudder]
Old 04-14-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't look too bad. This movie is pretty much looking like a good popcorn flick. It seems a bit more serious and at least there don't seem to be the typical Will Smith corny jokes. The first trailer was awful compared to this one.
Old 04-14-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
The robot rebellion or whatever is completely out of left field, though.
I may be wrong on this, and I hope I am as it is incredibly cliche, but from the trailer it seems pretty obvious that the maker of the robots is ordering them to attack.

That being said, I don't care. I'll go see it. (I have not read the books, I could never get past the first chapter of an Asimov book... perhaps it is time to try again.)
Old 04-14-04, 10:28 AM
Suspended

I'm lookin forward to it. The new trailer is a lot better than the last one too.
Old 04-14-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I just saw the new trailer too, and it has potential.
Spoiler:
The bit with all the robots working looked a bit like the Second Renaissance short film from the Animatrix. Though i don't remember all the robots going berserk like that in the I, Robot book. Doesn't this just totally violate the 3 laws of Robotics Asimov has tried so hard to set-up?
And I feel kinda bad that Proyas kinda ripped off Cunningham. And he didn't do a good job copying Cunningham either. The robot who is by himself looks kind of annoying, (I say looks because my sound card isn't working) and I'm not sure if I want to spend the whole movie watching it. At least Proyas does not seem to be repeating himself, and seems to be able to keep up with the times, which is a great feat in itself. Anyway, will wait for further stuff on the film as the buzz grows.

Last edited by joeydaninja; 04-14-04 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 02:07 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by C-Mart
I may be wrong on this, and I hope I am as it is incredibly cliche, but from the trailer it seems pretty obvious that the maker of the robots is ordering them to attack.

That being said, I don't care. I'll go see it. (I have not read the books, I could never get past the first chapter of an Asimov book... perhaps it is time to try again.)
Still couldn't happen...

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

These laws are hardwired into the very design of the positronic brains, along with definitions of humans. Also, if these laws were removed or modified, there are standard tests that could determine that fact in very short order.

The owner could order till he was blue in the face, and a robot still couldn't harm a human.

Also, the robots couldn't be trying to protect themselves, because that would conflict with the first and second laws. A human could order a robot to dance on a minefield, and the robot would obey.

The reason there were various crimes in the Asimov books are because of various things, including human error. For instance, one of the stories had a robot without the inaction clause of the first law, since there were problems with robots trying to stop humans from engaging in dangerous activities (such as constructing a space station.)

Other stories, usually with experimental robots, had insufficient definitions for humans, etc.
Old 04-14-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Vast improvement over the first trailer. Let's hope that the next two trailers continue to get better.
Old 04-14-04, 08:18 PM

On a related note, we have an exclusive featurette from the film that features the director discussing I, Robot. It also shows never-before-seen footage from the movie.

Online here:
http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmtv/f...usivevideo.asp
Old 04-14-04, 10:17 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I like how at the end of the new trailer, when the title comes in, it reads I, RIOT... the O and B are sideways, making an I.

I'm still on the fence about the show.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 04-14-04 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-23-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
This trailer they have on TV has been much much better.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/i_...netexclusive2/
Old 05-23-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts
I want to be positive on about this. I like the look, and this trailer shows some Smith besides the usual wisecracking bit. The Rules do appear to be being broken, but surely they wouldn't just totally throw them out for the sake of the movie? Maybe they found a loophole? Hollywood is filled with lawyers, I wouldn't put it past them
Old 05-23-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by milo bloom
I want to be positive on about this. I like the look, and this trailer shows some Smith besides the usual wisecracking bit. The Rules do appear to be being broken, but surely they wouldn't just totally throw them out for the sake of the movie? Maybe they found a loophole? Hollywood is filled with lawyers, I wouldn't put it past them
Maybe someone built some robots without the three laws.
Old 05-23-04, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
Maybe someone built some robots without the three laws.
Actually Alex Proyas has stated that the robots do not break the three rules. So...it'll be interesting to see how that works. And the new trailers...the ones taht resemble the internet trailer on mysteryclock.com and teh tv spots...are much better. Tonally much more serious, no Will Smith wisecracks.

I'm still not sure about this one...but I'll definately see it as I think this could go either way.
Old 05-24-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Actually Alex Proyas has stated that the robots do not break the three rules. So...it'll be interesting to see how that works. And the new trailers...the ones taht resemble the internet trailer on mysteryclock.com and teh tv spots...are much better. Tonally much more serious, no Will Smith wisecracks.

I'm still not sure about this one...but I'll definately see it as I think this could go either way.
Maybe they alter the perception of the robots so that they do not see the humans as Human anymore.