Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I ROBOT Trailer!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could've sworn that I'd heard since this movie went into production that the only connection between this movie and the Asimov books was the general idea of the "3 laws". Maybe I was wrong though.
Old 03-12-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The book is a collection of 9 short stories. They're all intellectual, not action-packed. The movie isn't a prequel or whatever. It looks like it's based on one of those short stories about a robot that had a weakened first law ("A robot may not injure or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm"). The premise is similar, but the conclusion apparently makes a simultaneously hilarious and depressing beeline to Hollywood.

In the original there was no murder, and the investigators uncovered the lying robot out of a large group through a series of isolated interviews and tests designed to outwit him. In this one I guess the robots revolt or something. Sad.

It would have been a better movie had they actually adapted the book directly as a series of short stories. The story about the robot who started a robot cult and took over an orbital space station with the main character trapped on board might have made a good single-plot movie also.

Pick up the book. It's a good, if slightly technologically dated, read. Not bad, though, considering it was written about 55 years ago.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 03-14-04 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-12-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That was...disapointing. But I'm still holding out...trailers say little, and can not really tell you that about the quality of the film. Proyas says this isn't going to be MIB or Bad Boys type humor so...hopefully it's a serious piece.

"Will always brings humour to his roles and this is no exception. But don't come to the movie expecting MEN IN BLACK or BAD BOYS - this is quite diffferent."

That's what Proyas says on the subject...so we shall see.

I still have high hopes...I doubt we are seeing the more intelligent side of this film in the trailer whatsoever. Of course, maybe I'm making excuses.
Old 03-13-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worst use of facial hair, EVER!
Old 03-13-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will hold out hope that this will be good.
Old 03-13-04, 09:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yup, most people says Finding Nemo's trailer sucks and it turned out to be one of Pixar's best works.
Old 03-13-04, 10:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't remember anybody saying the trailer for Finding Nemo sucked. And it certainly wasn't misleading or anything.
Old 03-13-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I remember a lot of people thinking the Finding Nemo trailers sucked, although that was mostly on Usenet, where people complain about everything. There's some negative comments in this thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=289772

However, Groucho is right that the trailer for Nemo didn't misrepresent the film. The trailers made it look like a comedy adventure, which it was. The trailer for I, Robot makes the film look like an action comedy. Whether it actually will be remains to be seen.
Old 03-13-04, 12:51 PM

Looks like a cross between "A.I." and "Minority Report". Have to see it again.
Old 03-13-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Just saw the trailer. As an action movie, it might deliver. Check that, as a bad action movie with stupid one liners, it might deliver.
I somehow doubt rappers-turned-actors playing cops shooting off one liners were what Asimov had in mind when he wrote the story.
Old 03-13-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I somehow doubt rappers-turned-actors playing cops shooting off one liners were what Asimov had in mind when he wrote the story.
What's funny is that Asimov didn't write the story. The whole "robot accused of murder" plot isn't found in any of the stories in Asimov's book. In fact, it's more similar to the Outer Limits episode of the same name, which had nothing to do with Asimov either.

The only connection to Asimov is the use of his 3 Laws, and of course the title and his name to cause favorable association.
Old 03-13-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I think it's going to be really cool. It looks like Proyas knows his action stuff.

To stop angry-ing fans of the books, why can't there just be a "Loosely Base on the Short Stories of Asimov" line, or something like that?
Old 03-13-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The robots remind me of a Bjork video.
Old 03-13-04, 08:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by V-ism
The robots remind me of a Bjork video.
I remember reading somewhere the Proyas contacted Chris Cunningham when designing the robots.
Old 03-13-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hated the robots. They looked silly.
Old 03-14-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Hated the robots. They looked silly.
Yeah, less I, Robot, more like iBot.
Old 03-14-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jay G.
What's funny is that Asimov didn't write the story. The whole "robot accused of murder" plot isn't found in any of the stories in Asimov's book.
Oops, you're right. I edited my post. But it looks like parts of the "Little Lost Robot" might have been the seed for this story.

They just took the premise (robot with a weakened don't-hurt-humans law hiding amongst a large group of other robots) and extrapolated it to a more dramatic one (robot commits murder). The robot rebellion or whatever is completely out of left field, though.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 03-14-04 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-14-04, 06:57 PM
Suspended

If the studio had any sense whatsoever, they would hook electromagnets and a generator to Asimov's corpse. That way, when he starts spinning in his grave, we could provide power the west coast for the next century.
Old 03-14-04, 07:06 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Terrell
Actually, I was expecting this film to be like Minority Report and AI. Those films were serious, thought provoking films. This looks like a futuristic Bad Boys without the partner.
pefectly sums up my thoughts.
Old 03-15-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
If the studio had any sense whatsoever, they would hook electromagnets and a generator to Asimov's corpse. That way, when he starts spinning in his grave, we could provide power the west coast for the next century.
Old 03-15-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Doesn't look great, but I will see it because of Alex Proyas and Chi McBride.
Old 03-15-04, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
P.S. And what the hell was up with sampling Don Davis' score from The Matrix Revolutions in the trailer? I was waiting for Neo to bust through a wall and start whooping some robot ass damnit!
Each time I've watched the trailer I couldn't figure out where I heard that music.... it was at the tip of my tongue. Sure enough it was Revolutions.
Old 03-16-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
And this is related to Asimov's story how??
...you took the words right out of my mouth... sigh

. . . . . .
Old 03-16-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

didn't look to good to me
Old 04-14-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

New trailer. http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/i_robot/

I have to be honest, I still don't think it looks that good. Not sure what this is really, but it doesn't seem to be really Asimov at all. But, here's hoping.

Here's something I got from Proyas' website, that he posted on the forum. I thought it was interesting.

"It's actually pretty hard cutting a trailer for a movie like this when so much of it is still incomplete. We have upwards of 900 vfx shots and when one of the main characters is CG it's hard to come up with enough shots at an early stage for trailers. I hated the first trailer more than anyone - it did not accurately represent the tone of the film. The new trailer is far closer to the actual flavor of the movie but is still as far as I'm concerned just scratching the surface. There will be 2 more trailers leading up to release that will give you all a pretty good insight into what the finished film will be like. Hang in there and keep letting me know your thoughts."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.