DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   I ROBOT Trailer!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/352354-i-robot-trailer.html)

Doctorwho 03-11-04 09:50 PM

I ROBOT Trailer!!

Heres the links:

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/20...iler-page.html

http://www.chud.com/graphics12/irobot.jpg

This looks like shit. Absolute shit.

Sugar? No it's for the coffee AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
JOB WELL DONE HOLLYWOOD!

((><))

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/mai...tos/spider.jpg

RyoHazuki 03-11-04 10:06 PM

I don't think it looks all that bad, forced comedy aside. I still think Will Smith is wrong for the role, however.

littlefuzzy 03-11-04 10:21 PM

And this is related to Asimov's story how?? :hscratch:

talemyn 03-11-04 10:28 PM

I think there is still a lot that remains to be seen. I don't think that the trailer gives enough information about the movie to get a good idea of how it'll be. I think it could go either way still.

We'll see . . . maybe we'll get another trailer later on . . . http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/i...lies/Shrug.gif

harosa 03-11-04 10:55 PM

Am I the only only one that was not expecting a trailer like this? Sure Will Smith aside I had some doubts but I always heard heady stuff about Asimov and I thought Proyas would do something different, this looks like a side story from AI and Minority Report. All the time during the beginning of the trailer I was like, straighten your damn skully cap.

Corvin 03-11-04 11:15 PM

Alex Proyas? I'm down. A bit surprised by the approach the film is taking, but I'm still going to be one of the first in line.

And I thought I saw a filming crew for this in Chicago last year, and now I know I wasn't going crazy. They were along Michigan Avenue. I thought that was pretty neat.

funkyryno 03-11-04 11:27 PM

As Will Smith eloquently put it:

"Oh, hell no."

Giantrobo 03-11-04 11:55 PM

Ok, I'm sorry but this looks KICK ASS!!!

Granted, I'm no Will Smith fan, but put that aside and this looks like a winner

Giantrobo 03-12-04 12:04 AM

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
And this is related to Asimov's story how?? :hscratch:

I'm sorry, where did you get confused? They seem alike, or as alike as a book and movie can be, to me.... :confused:

<b>amazon's summary of the book "I, ROBOT":</b>

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

In this collection, one of the great classics of science fiction, Asimov set out the principles of robot behavior that we know as the Three Laws of Robotics. Here are stories of robots gone mad, mind-reading robots, robots with a sense of humor, robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world, all told with Asimov's trademark dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction.

Inside Flap Copy
The three laws of Robotics:
1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm
2) A robot must obey orders givein to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

<b>Summary of THE FILM "I, ROBOT" from imdb.com</b>

Plot Summary for
I, Robot (2004)

Page 6 of 20

Set in a future Earth (2035 A.D.) where robots are common assistants and workers for their human owners, this is the story of "robotophobic" Chicago Police Detective Del Spooner's (Smith) investigation into the murder of Dr. Miles Hogenmiller, who works at U.S. Robotics (run by Greenwood), in which a robot, Sonny (Tudyk), appears to be implicated, even though that would mean the robot had violated the Laws of Robotics, which is apparently impossible. It seems impossible because.. if robots can break those laws, there's nothing to stop them from taking over the world, as humans have grown to become completely dependent upon their robots. Or maybe... they already have? Aiding Spooner in his investigation is a psychologist, Dr. Susan Calvin (Moynahan), who specializes in the psyches of robots...

PopcornTreeCt 03-12-04 12:23 AM

Originally posted by harosa
Am I the only only one that was not expecting a trailer like this? Sure Will Smith aside I had some doubts but I always heard heady stuff about Asimov and I thought Proyas would do something different, this looks like a side story from AI and Minority Report. All the time during the beginning of the trailer I was like, straighten your damn skully cap.
I hear you. When I first heard about this project I thought it was gonna be grand. An intelligent, mind game between Will and the Robot. But the movie looks awful, I mean the trailer starts out accusing a robot of murder and then all the robots are attacking so I guess we already know what happens. Big letdown.

Trigger 03-12-04 12:41 AM

eh - I'll probably see it. *shrug*

Terrell 03-12-04 01:04 AM

this looks like a side story from AI and Minority Report.
Actually, I was expecting this film to be like Minority Report and AI. Those films were serious, thought provoking films. This looks like a futuristic Bad Boys without the partner.

Matthew Chmiel 03-12-04 01:26 AM

HOLY SHIT. That trailer was bad.

I have to agree with Terrell on this one. I was expecting another A.I. and Minority Report, not Bad Boys: 2035. I had faith in Alex Proyas (especially after his past films), but it looks like he sold out on this one. Oh well, hopefully the trailer doesn't represent the film at all. But if it does, I'll just forget it ever happened and I'll go watch Dark City.

P.S. And what the hell was up with sampling Don Davis' score from The Matrix Revolutions in the trailer? I was waiting for Neo to bust through a wall and start whooping some robot ass damnit!

fumanstan 03-12-04 01:40 AM

Looks decent to me... i like Proyas, and i like Smith. I too, was hoping for something a little more different and stylish, but this looks like fun action.

Flynn 03-12-04 02:16 AM

This is the most disappointing thing I've seen in a long, long time. I thought Proyas was going to do this incredible book (and series of books) justice - it looks like just another ridiculous Will Smith film.

What are these people thinking???

Count me out.

Supermallet 03-12-04 02:40 AM

This does look a little more run of the mill than I was expecting from Proyas, especially Proyas doing an Asimov adaptation...but he hasn't let me down yet, so I'll give it a chance.

Cathepsin 03-12-04 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Terrell
Actually, I was expecting this film to be like Minority Report and AI. Those films were serious, thought provoking films. This looks like a futuristic Bad Boys without the partner.
It looks like Bridget Moynahan will be playing his partner. From the description, it sounds like a smash-up of the Elijah Baley novels and the Susan Calvin stories.

Is Smith going to do a theme song?

glassdragon 03-12-04 03:10 AM

I agree with you Giantrobo I think it looks pretty badass myself

funkyryno 03-12-04 03:17 AM

This movie might look OK if I had never read any Asimov.

custom001 03-12-04 04:52 AM

Didn't read the story either, but this looks like a decent popcorn movie to me.

RocShemp 03-12-04 05:36 AM

This looks like a fun action movie. A terrible adaptation of the book but a good action movie nonetheless. Oh well, I'll see it though it's not what I expected/was hoping for.

BTW, did anyone else notice that
Spoiler:
James Cromwell
was the murder victim? At least it looks like him in the picture.

harosa 03-12-04 06:23 AM

Smith just rehashing the same old character from previous films, ALI at least proved he can vary his performances.

Jay G. 03-12-04 06:35 AM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
And what the hell was up with sampling Don Davis' score from The Matrix Revolutions in the trailer? I was waiting for Neo to bust through a wall and start whooping some robot ass damnit!
Almost all movie trailers use music from other films or pop songs. It's because the score for a film is the last thing done on a film, after editing, and trailers are made long before that.

As for the trailer, it looks like the film veers wildly from its source material. An action comedy the original story isn't. AS RocShemp said, it might still be good as long as you don't judge it as an adaptation, but I have my reservations.

It's a shame Hollywood has to turn nearly every Sci-Fi premise into an action film. It's too bad nobody ever produced the other I, ROBOT screenplay that's existed for years:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...486595/dvdtalk

Jason 03-12-04 08:10 AM

Great, a comedy version of The Second Renaissance. Just what we needed.

This has some potential. The basic story is certainly good, I like the robot designs, but it's so disappointing to see all this dumbed down to nothing more than Will Smith's summer movie starring Will Smith playing the Will Smith character. Can't wait to hear the closing credit rap number that follows the exact same beat and cadence as the last 5 movies he was in too. Isn't he overdue to pull a Tom Hanks and start being a serious actor?

al_bundy 03-12-04 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Jason
Great, a comedy version of The Second Renaissance. Just what we needed.

This has some potential. The basic story is certainly good, I like the robot designs, but it's so disappointing to see all this dumbed down to nothing more than Will Smith's summer movie starring Will Smith playing the Will Smith character. Can't wait to hear the closing credit rap number that follows the exact same beat and cadence as the last 5 movies he was in too. Isn't he overdue to pull a Tom Hanks and start being a serious actor?

Check out Six Degrees of Separation