Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jersey Girl (D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jersey Girl (D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-03, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jersey Girl predictions? (poor, poor Kevin Smith)

So, Jersey Girl is in the can already, distribution deal in place...

The only problem is that not only does it signify a change of direction for Kevin Smith, but it also stars the box-office poison duo of Affleck and Lopez.

So what do you think will happen? Personally, I think that even if Smith turned in the best script he's ever done, the movie is doomed to fail, and fail badly.

1. Lopez and Affleck. No on screen chemistry. They can't act worth a damn. After Gigli, they're C-list stars if they're lucky.

2. No Jay & Silent Bob, which is what keeps Smith's predominately stoner fan club shelling out money to see his flicks.

Opinions?
Old 08-03-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
his movies never make money anyway. I don't think the failure of gigli means anything in relation. I think it bombed because of the trailer, it just looks like a stupid, stupid movie. It's not like these two are the box office draw everyone thinks they are. What were J.Lo's last few movies? Maid in Manhattan, Enough, Angel Eyes? All huge box office draws. Affleck's? Daredevil didn't live up, Sum of all fears scaped by, and Changing Lanes did decent b.o., none of which were huge blockbusters. So Gigli is the train wreck of two downhill careers anyway.
Old 08-03-03, 09:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
his movies never make money anyway.
Of course they do (with the exception of Mallrats). Just because a movie doesn't make $300 bazillion doesn't mean it didn't make money. Smith's movies are low budget and don't have to pull in nearly as much money to see a profit.
Old 08-03-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plus, J.Lo is not in the movie long, and I think they are going to be smart enough NOT to market it as a Bennifer movie.
Old 08-03-03, 10:23 AM
Suspended

And, believe it or not, not everybody who likes Kevin Smith's films is a stoner and we don't watch his films primarily for Jay and Silent Bob.
Old 08-03-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree with both Groucho and pixyboi.

Also, IMO, while Affleck is not the greatest actor, his best performances have always been under the direction of Smith.

I hope it makes enough money to turn a profit. I know I'll be seeing it regardless.
Old 08-03-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
This movie will get about the same amount of attention as Smith's other flicks. In other words, not much outside of his regular fanbase.
Old 08-03-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
I have a feeling that, despite what Kevin Smith says, we'll be seeing Jay and Silent Bob again. Soon.
Old 08-03-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
This movie will get about the same amount of attention as Smith's other flicks. In other words, not much outside of his regular fanbase.
I've seen the movie and he'll have a problem with his fanbase. It's very UN-Kevin Smith. Very conventional and pedestrian. Fine for other movies but if you're looking for typical Kevin Smith fare... you're in for a disappointment.

Maybe the Ben/JLo hype will blow over by February. It should be interesting to see screen counts and the ad campaign.
Old 08-03-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

while i won't go see it for affleck and lopez, i will probably go and see it, if only to see what KS is doing.
Old 08-03-03, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tom Campbell
And, believe it or not, not everybody who likes Kevin Smith's films is a stoner and we don't watch his films primarily for Jay and Silent Bob.
That's why if you're paying attention, you'll note that I said "predominately," and not "all" of his audience.

I'm not a stoner, and I've seen all his films except for Chasing Amy.

I, however, do not have any intention of seeing Jersey Girl. Not just because it features Affleck and Lopez (neither of whom are capable of carrying a movie on their own), and not just because Jay & Silent Bob are not in it, but also because I feel that Smith has grown very egotistical, and he seems to believe now that anything he puts out will at least turn a profit solely because his name is on it.
Old 08-03-03, 01:32 PM
Banned

Alien Redrum: You're very correct in saying that Affleck's best performances have come from movies that Smith has directed, but he's never been required to be the leading man in the ones I've seen (haven't seen Chasing Amy yet). I just don't think that he can carry a film.

TomOpus: I can't guarantee that this is 100% accurate, but one of the cable news stations that was discussing Gigli had a film critic guest claiming that Jersey Girl has been pushed back to later in the year, in order to try to distance itself from Gigli's savaging at the box office.
Old 08-03-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
his movies never make money anyway. I don't think the failure of gigli means anything in relation. I think it bombed because of the trailer, it just looks like a stupid, stupid movie. It's not like these two are the box office draw everyone thinks they are. What were J.Lo's last few movies? Maid in Manhattan, Enough, Angel Eyes? All huge box office draws. Affleck's? Daredevil didn't live up, Sum of all fears scaped by, and Changing Lanes did decent b.o., none of which were huge blockbusters. So Gigli is the train wreck of two downhill careers anyway.
Maid in Manhattan made 90 million dollars. Depending on who you ask, Daredevil was a modest hit as well. I dunno, both of them were coming off successful movies.
Old 08-03-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Plus, J.Lo is not in the movie long, and I think they are going to be smart enough NOT to market it as a Bennifer movie.
Isn't this a Miramax film....I wouldn't count on them doing the smart thing.
Old 08-03-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, is it safe to say that Ben Affleck and J-Lo are the Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun of the new century?

Old 08-03-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Kevin Smith should digitally remove J Lo and replace her with Jar Jar Binks, then we would have box office gold.
Old 08-03-03, 05:11 PM

On a side note, I'm really interested to see how they'll market this movie. Any ideas?
Old 08-03-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen the movie everyone. And for all you guys worried about the JLo Ben thing . . . MAJOR SPOILER . . .
Spoiler:
Lopes dies in the first 10-15 minutes of the movie

And while I did not like the movie Affleck is very good in it & he WILL get critical praise for this movie. Mark my words. There are some very heavy touchy moments in this movie. And for the guy who said it's not a Kevin Smith type movie I couldn't disagree more. It's not a "JAy & Silent Bob" type movie. It is ABSOLUTELY a SMITH movie. IT has his token dialogue, his token Smith characters, CArlin & Biggs are classic Smith characters in the movie, & it has the potty humor. My biggest problem with the movies is that it's not different enough for Kevin Smith.
Old 08-03-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JestersTear
I, however, do not have any intention of seeing Jersey Girl. Not just because it features Affleck and Lopez (neither of whom are capable of carrying a movie on their own), and not just because Jay & Silent Bob are not in it, but also because I feel that Smith has grown very egotistical, and he seems to believe now that anything he puts out will at least turn a profit solely because his name is on it.
I really do not see this. Everything I have seen from Kevin Smith seems pretty regular-guy and relatively modest. He attributes his profitability to keeping his costs down, and he gives back to the fandom community.

I think he is just trying to grow as a director -- moving beyond what we would typically define as a "Kevin Smith" feature.
Old 08-03-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are dreaming if you think a point is not going to be made of the fact that Affleck and Lopez are in the movie together, regardless of the fact that it didnt work in marketing Gigli, im sure they'll wager it'll work a second time around. A perfect example of studio marketing is the new Woody Allen movie he's starring in but the trailer sells it soley as a Jason Biggs/Cristina Ricci film. The studios will sell what theylll think will make them money, a teen movie for Allen and a Lopez/Affleck movie for Smith.
Old 08-03-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't know if it really matters. I believe Gigli failed because most people though it looked very bad and the reviews were horrendous.

Now Kevin Smith movies have rarely made much money anyways (and I'm talking gross, not net), so that hurts and potential box office "gold". It is also a departure from his prvious films, so he risks alienating his "hardcore" fans. In the end though, Jersey Girl doesn't seem like a movie that would make a lot of money anyways, and I doubt Gigli has much of an effect on what it will earn.
Old 08-03-03, 07:51 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by harosa
You are dreaming if you think a point is not going to be made of the fact that Affleck and Lopez are in the movie together, regardless of the fact that it didnt work in marketing Gigli, im sure they'll wager it'll work a second time around. A perfect example of studio marketing is the new Woody Allen movie he's starring in but the trailer sells it soley as a Jason Biggs/Cristina Ricci film. The studios will sell what theylll think will make them money, a teen movie for Allen and a Lopez/Affleck movie for Smith.
Except Lopez does have a limited role in 'Jersey Girl', so for them to market it as a 'Jen & Ben' movie would probably be misleading. I also heard that Allen does have a limited role in 'Anything Else' which I think is a good move - he's a better director than a leading man.
Old 08-03-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by harosa
You are dreaming if you think a point is not going to be made of the fact that Affleck and Lopez are in the movie together,
A point will be made by idiot critics & message board posters. I am telling you, I have seen this movie & the marketing will play down Lopez being in the movie. In fact, it would not surprise me at all if she is not even in the trailer. Movie studios are dumb as dirt when it comes to what movies to make, but they are extremely smart at marketing. After Gigly bombing & even worse than bombing, becoming the most hated movie of the year. No movie studio is going to play up the fact that the 2 are also in this movie. Like I said, look at this thread after the fact, I DOUBT she will even be in the trailer. Especially considering the fact that she is barely in the movie.
Old 08-03-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Sheesh, from the venom being spewed on the Internet about these two, you'd think the U.S. Army should've killed Ben and J.Lo instead of Saddam's kids.
Old 08-03-03, 10:39 PM

Movie studios are dumb as dirt when it comes to what movies to make, but they are extremely smart at marketing.
Hmmmm....interesting point. I think I agree

Last edited by wordtoyamotha; 08-03-03 at 10:41 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.