Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jersey Girl (D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jersey Girl (D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
what is this "Gigli"?
Old 04-08-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a really bad feeling about this movie, and I am a KS fan.

This whole Reese Witherspoon thing has gotten out of hand.
Old 04-08-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
That article he wrote about Reese was years ago and he wrote it on some obscure comic website. I wouldn't make too much out of that story.
Old 04-08-03, 10:50 AM
Banned

Sorry to go on a tangent but, what is up with Gigli? That is the worst title I have ever heard! The film could contain the second comming of Christ and I still wouldn't say to my friends, "Let's go see Gigli." I would sound like the the biggest bone smoker for seeing something w/ that lame title. What's this movie's tagline, "Hey everybody get Gigli with it!"?
Old 04-08-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard that 33% of the footage for Jersey Girl was out of focus and had to be reshot. Spread the word!

Take that Silent Bob!
Old 04-08-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from what i've heard, gigli is total crap! this has come from all kinds of sources, sites, etc.

the good thing about jersey girl? the fact that j-ho's only in about 30 minutes of it! (probably still too long though)
Old 07-16-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For Kevin Smith fans out there, I got to see a screening of Jersey Girl last night

I'm not going to go into that much detail on the movie, this was not the final cut I saw. Now I am not the biggest Smith fan. I LOVE Mallrats, like Clerks & J&SBSB, but don't care for his other 2. And other than the cast, I knew absolutely nothing about this movie going into see it.

That said, I did not like Jersey Girl. Now I'm going to be as fair & subjective as I can. Jersey Girl is not a bad movie, it's a total chick flick & I hate chick flicks. It's just my tastes, this is a total chick flick with a LOT of very sappy moments & some Kevin Smith humor so if that is what you are looking for the movie is an A, but for me the movie is a C- at best.

Aside from that, what bothered me about the movie is it really, isn't a departure for Smith. He works with basically the same cast he always works with (there are some cameos that I'm pretty sure will be cut out of the movie). I did like . . . pretty major spoiler. . . .
Spoiler:
J-Lo's performance & what they did with her character, but I didn't know what the movie is about so this may not surprise most people, she is gone about 15 minutes into the movie)
. The movie does show, that if Smith ever grows the balls to really do something different, he can do so in the drama genre. There are definite touching moments in this movie. I think women will love this movie & Affleck in it (who I really don't like). But as per usual Smith has to always revert back to the poop & fart & sex jokes & very vulagr humor, only this time with no J & Bob, it's provided by children & George Carlin.

I wish I could give a better review, but the movie was a black & white movie to me, there just isn't much to it. It's an attempt by Smith at making a more serious movie, which I felt he didn't have the confidence to do, by keeping the same cast & especially the overdone vulgar humor (not to worry Smith loyalists, the humor is very vulgar), it shows that Smith is to scared to alienate his core audience.

Last edited by Sessa17; 07-16-03 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard he/miramax was going for the pg13? Well, that other jlo/affleck movie gigili is rated R for pursuasive strong language, sexual content and brief strong violence, so who knows.
Old 07-16-03, 04:12 PM

Sessa, aren't you the person who hates romantic comedies? This is a romantic comedy right? I apologize if neither is the case. It doesn't matter either way, but I would have been shocked if you really liked it.

I'm not going to pay to see it. I'm STILL pissed over that mini movie poster promise Smith never lived up to and as far I know never apologized for.

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 07-16-03 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)

I'm not going to pay to see it. I'm STILL pissed over that mini movie promise Smith never lived up to and as far I know never apologized for.
was it that he would never write any more filthy dialogue after seeing a test screening of clerks
Old 07-16-03, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
was it that he would never write any more filthy dialogue after seeing a test screening of clerks
Sorry, I forgot the word poster after mini movie.

He said and posted on the viewaskew website for about a week before and after J&SBSB came out that he would send a signed mini poster of J&SBSB to those that went to see it both the opening Fri & the following day on Sat. All you had to do was send in your ticket stubs to him at a specific address. To this day I have heard nothing. I could care less about the poster but he could have at least apologized for not being able to send them out.

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 07-16-03 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
J-Lo+Benny= Me no buy ticket!

I love Smith and his work, but this is too much for me.
Old 07-16-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To this day I have heard nothing. I could care less about the poster but he could have at least apologized for not being able to send them out.
He did apologize.

Plus, I know a fair few people who got their miniposters.
Old 07-16-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sessa, aren't you the person who hates romantic comedies? This is a romantic comedy right? I apologize if neither is the case. It doesn't matter either way, but I would have been shocked if you really liked it.

I'm not going to pay to see it. I'm STILL pissed over that mini movie poster promise Smith never lived up to and as far I know never apologized for.
Yeah, I do hate romantic comedies. But in my review I said that & I tried to be fair. Personaly, I give this movie a 5/10, but I said as far as for girls the movie is probably a high 8 or 9. the screening was a test screening so we were given questionaires (sp?) to fill out, & there were girls crying after the movie & it seemed women really enjoyed this movie. It's just not my cup of tea & I think while critics may love this movie b/c of some very dramatic scenes, they should be a little hard on Smith for the constant same cast & the resorting to crude humor.

And as for the mini-poster thing, Smith did apolgize & give an explanation for what happened. While I think Smith is a one-trick pony limited director/writer he is the absolute BEST when it comes to caring about his fans, if anything that is what hurts this movie.
Old 07-16-03, 05:33 PM

Not trying to your minimize opinion Sessa17 but you did say that you didn't like Chasing Amy or Dogma, right? Well, I'm guessing (from what I've read) that this movie would be most like Chasing Amy content-wise. Second, you say that you don't like Romantic comedies and this IS a romantic comedy after all. Lastly, Smith has said himself (on his webiste) that this movie is NOTHING like his J&SB or Mallrats stuff and that if "Snoochy Boochies" is a part of your regular vocabulary you probably will not like it.

Again, I'm not trying to take away from your opinion Sessa but I think this movie could be very disappointing for many of Smith's "Mallrats/J&SB" fans.
Old 07-16-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

J-Lo, no-go.
Old 07-16-03, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
He did apologize.

Plus, I know a fair few people who got their miniposters.
When or where did he apologize & give an explanation? Can you provide a link if there is one? I did a search on viewaskew.com's message boards but all I could find was posts of people complaining they didn't get their posters. If I see the apology & explanation all will be forgotten.
Old 07-16-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sessa -

Did you say
Spoiler:
J-Lo was only in the first 15 minutes?

I didn't quite understand that part....plus you did the spoiler text wrong.

But since NO ONE is going to see this movie, who cares right?
Old 07-16-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by conscience
Sessa -

Did you say
Spoiler:
J-Lo was only in the first 15 minutes?

I didn't quite understand that part....plus you did the spoiler text wrong.

D'OH!! I'm sorry everyone, I didn't mean to spoil anything, it was a typo I fixed it. And to clarify yes, major spoiler . . .
Spoiler:
J-lo dies about 15 minutes into the movie

And motherword guy, I thought I was pretty clear & I was trying to be fair & step outside my own tastes. For the third time, no I don't like romantic comedies, but I can look past that, this movie is not my kind of movie, so I didn't like it, but that doesn't mean I I can't look past my own tastes. . The dramatic parts of the movie are excellent & the movie is a very good chick flick. And b/c of the subject, a single dad raising a child by himself, rather than the often depicted female, I think the movie will get some good reviews.

And it's not Kevin Smith fans that will be disapointed in this movie. It's "Jay & Silent Bob Fans" that will be disapointed. The movie has everything in it that made Smith famous, except for J & B & their drug jokes. (which I know is what must people like), but the movie still has some clever dialogue, & some classic smith characters. Jason Biggs of all people is one of the better parts of the movie.

Last edited by Sessa17; 07-16-03 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if Sessa's spoiler remains true, then I might check out the movie afterall.
Old 07-17-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Hell that spoiler is the best thing I have heard about the whole movie, maybe in the final cut
Spoiler:
she will only be a hand like Costner was
Old 07-17-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The cup is half-full...must remain positive...knows the wife is going to make me see it...

Ah hell, I will probably like it.
Old 07-17-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Cusm
Hell that spoiler is the best thing I have heard about the whole movie, maybe in the final cut
Spoiler:
Old 07-17-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cusm
Spoiler:

Or better yet...
Spoiler:
her arse
Old 07-17-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, I forgot the word poster after mini movie.

He said and posted on the viewaskew website for about a week before and after J&SBSB came out that he would send a signed mini poster of J&SBSB to those that went to see it both the opening Fri & the following day on Sat. All you had to do was send in your ticket stubs to him at a specific address. To this day I have heard nothing. I could care less about the poster but he could have at least apologized for not being able to send them out.
I got one and I didn't even see it both days.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.