Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Lord of the Rings Racist??

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is Lord of the Rings Racist??

Old 12-30-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lou Diamond Philips equals as Legolas.........hmmmmmm would be really weird...
Old 12-30-03, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to mention that I wouldnt exactly call Denethor a good guy. He wasnt even in the presence of the ring and look at his actions. I think aside from Sauron and Saruman, the most reviled character in the trilogy would be Denethor. Unless you just think he was insane.
Old 12-30-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good call on denethor, another seriously messed up white guy... and like you said he cant even use the ring as an excuse for his actions! lol! the way he treats faramir + his absolute unwillingness to live with the King returning in spite of his duty as steward tells ya everything ya need to know about the guy.

j
Old 12-30-03, 12:38 PM
Retired

Denethor was insane from looking into a palantir. Sauron poisoned his mind. Plus this is coupled with grief over losing his sons.

Hopefully they'll put him looking into the palantir in the Extended Version. They just mention it in the theatrical cut when he says he's not blind and has seen who rides with Theoden.
Old 12-30-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good point, forgot about that... of course, the guy was a twit to his younger son before his mind was "poisoned" wasn't he?

j
Old 12-30-03, 12:43 PM
Retired

Originally posted by jekbrown
good point, forgot about that... of course, the guy was a twit to his younger son before his mind was "poisoned" wasn't he?
Not sure, he had the palantir for years so theres no way to be certain.

I think he always disliked fairamir because he was a ranger, into art and music, etc rather than being a macho warrior like Boromir.
Old 12-30-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Not sure, he had the palantir for years so theres no way to be certain.

I think he always disliked fairamir because he was a ranger, into art and music, etc rather than being a macho warrior like Boromir.
thats what I was thinking about his pref for boromir over faramir. I didnt remember that he had the palantir for "years", its been a looong time since I read the books. Thanks for the clarification!

j
Old 12-30-03, 12:54 PM
Retired

If I recall correctly, the palantir had been in the possession of the last king, so Denethor got it as soon as he was made Steward. Though it might have been hidden somewhere and he stumbled across it later on.
Old 12-30-03, 01:21 PM

<sarcasm>

I'm disappointed that only the black dragons were casted instead of the other colored dragons.

Oh and what is up with the "white" wizard thing...

</sarcasm>
Old 12-30-03, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
J.R.R. Tolkien was born in South Africa. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!
Im not sure what you are getting at here but, remember that South Africa's histroy of Apparteid(sp?) isn't exactly a model example of modern civilization.
Old 12-30-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've mentioned this before in another thread: Sauron is also known (mentioned in FOTR) as Sauron the Deceiver. He doubtlessly did the same thing to the Haradrim and the Easterlings that he did to the 9 kings of Men who became Nazgul: seduced them with power into his service. That means their culture is not inherently 'evil' but was weak in resisting him, like most of Middle-Earth. I seem to also recollect, in the book, that in the end at the battle of the Black Gate the Men who fought for Sauron threw down their arms when he was defeated and begged for mercy.
Old 12-30-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
There is an example of racism in Tolkien. A lot of hobbits are racist. They don't like anyone from Bree, and many of them don't trust hobbits from the other farthings. There were mutterings that Bilbo had a lot of Took in him.

Tolkien doesn't treat that attitude with a lot of respect.
Old 12-30-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Jepthah,

Are you saying white people are weak? Grrrrrr.
Old 12-30-03, 01:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by dryars
Im not sure what you are getting at here but, remember that South Africa's histroy of Apparteid(sp?) isn't exactly a model example of modern civilization.
You don't say? I suppose I should reseach this Apartheid thing. Sounds nasty, though...why would President Mandela agree to such a thing?
Old 12-30-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol, u think South Africa was nasty back then, try visiting there now. Its truly gone to hell and a handbasket. Johannesburg = #1 murder rate in the world. That country is slowly but surely becoming an absolute festering pile of poop. Left wingers who think Mandela is some kind of saint have tried to cover this up or ignore it, but we're talking about a place that is so dangerous that land-mines and flamethrower-equipped car security systems are legal and still not enough to deter crime...

Im not saying that aparthide (sp i know) was a good thing, but things seem a whole lot worse now.

j
Old 12-30-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. Didn't think the thread would get this far. Been some interesting discussion to chew on.

I posted the original article after reading the guy's website and some of the other stuff he wrote... I couldn't help it.
Old 12-30-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by dryars
<sarcasm>

I'm disappointed that only the black dragons were casted instead of the other colored dragons.

Oh and what is up with the "white" wizard thing...

</sarcasm>
....yep.....where all the pink dragons at......?
Old 12-30-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Eowyn should have been a lesbian. Makes much more sense about liking guys with long hair.
Old 12-30-03, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I think Eowyn should have been a lesbian.
I think you'll have to wait for Lord of the G-Strings: The Two... uh... Towers. Funny how that title is appropriate for just about any situation. :P
Old 12-30-03, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
You don't say? I suppose I should reseach this Apartheid thing. Sounds nasty, though...why would President Mandela agree to such a thing?
I hope you know that Apartheid occured prior to Mandela's era. But I'm sure you do.
Old 12-31-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not sure the hobbits are racist either... i mean, plenty of people from a certain region of the US "talk smack" about another region and there is nothing racial about it. "you know, those californians!" or... "oh yeah, shes from the south!" etc etc... every region has related cliches and implications etc and I dont think its especially racist to comment on them.

j
Old 12-31-03, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, i don't think it should even stop at race - where are they homosexuals in Middle Earth????? Maybe Harvey Firestein as Gandolf......Ru Paul as Sam.....Big Gay Al as Frodo.

Now that would be a cinematic masterpiece.
Old 12-31-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How about we compromise. Michael Jackson as Gandy the White. I can go for that.
Old 12-31-03, 12:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by BRIAN 1972
Personally, i don't think it should even stop at race - where are they homosexuals in Middle Earth?????
Good point. Why couldn't they have gotten a gay guy to play, say, Gandalf?
Old 12-31-03, 12:27 PM

HEHEHEHE Groucho. On that subject...

When I watched ROTK for the first time my wife made a joke about the (near) end of the movie with Frodo and the other Hobbits in bed with Gandalf looking on...

(I am sure it wouldnt be too hard to figure out what that joke was)

...Now I will never be able to watch ROTK again without thinking of that. And on top of that I will always get weird looks from people when I start to break out into laughter at that scene.

-not that there's anything wrong with that

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.