Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bourne Supremacy, July 2004

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Bourne Supremacy, July 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,088 Likes on 863 Posts
Saw the movie, and liked it a great deal. Not as good as Identity (Which is one of my favorites in the genre) but still a superior spy flick.

The car chase was brutal and really impressive. The handicam style irritated me a couple times ("This would be amazing.. if not for that shaky cam") but overall it was just a really cool, really entertaining flick. I love the fact that none of the characters are on autopilot, they all seem like they actually have something going on upstairs.

also
Spoiler:
for some reason, the scenes with Julia Stiles really stick out. She's in for what, all of 10 minutes, and her sequence with bourne was just exceptional
And while I agree w/ the threads aspect of the ending, I was actually expecting there to be more.

Also,
Spoiler:
I was a bit bummed by what happend to Marie early on

The only thing I don't get, are the reviews stating that its a "confusing" film. There wasn't anything confusing about it.
Old 07-23-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CNN.com said that the car chase near the end is actually better than the chases from Ronin, which are often regarded as the best movie car chases ever. I will definitely be there this weekend.
Old 07-23-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts
Just came back from seeing Supremacy and I enjoyed it. The hand-held camera action with the quick editing gave me a serious headache. The the asprin factor, I'm sticking with Ronin as having the better car chase. Overall it was entertaining and live action instead of CG was a nice change of pace.
Old 07-23-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So do they kill Marie in the beginning of the movie? If so, it's funny how she can go through the first movie without a scratch and then die in the first 10 minutes of the second one.
Old 07-23-04, 05:00 PM

I just saw the matinee...Overall..I liked the Bourne Identity a little better but would still give the Supremacy 7 out of 10 stars...I also agree with some of the other people...the camera work was very annoying....
Old 07-23-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got back from it just to get a couple hours of air conditioning. I liked it, but I think the first one was easier to follow. I doubt anyone who liked the first one wouldn't like this. I'd say this one was more hectic, it never really slows down, but I don't think they had a car chase scene as good as the Mini Cooper from Bourne Identity.
Old 07-23-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Demontooth
So do they kill Marie in the beginning of the movie? If so, it's funny how she can go through the first movie without a scratch and then die in the first 10 minutes of the second one.
some people haven't seen the movie yet.

birrman54
Old 07-23-04, 07:26 PM

Just saw it. It was ok, but I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as the first. I didn't like the constant fast cuts and handheld camera usage. The pacing just seemed too frenetic all the time.
I did like the ending though.

I felt less of a connection with Bourne in this one and for me it was because
Spoiler:
he didn't have Marie to talk to in between battles with the bad guys.

Anyway, I'll still buy the DVD when it comes out and see if it grows on me.

And another thing. I made the mistake of going to a theater with non stadium seating. I'll never do that again. I didn't like the heads in front of me and it had been a long time since I went to that type of theater. Also, the sound seemed to be too subdued and almost mono(I'm sure that was an issue with the theater and not the movie itself).
Old 07-23-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Birrman54

birrman54
So you purposely come into a thread where you know they are discussing the movie and there are plenty of spoilers...

Wasn't as good as the first, but still a very strong movie. Mark me down as another one who didn't like the camera work, too jerky.

The car chase definitely ranks up there with the best.
Old 07-23-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I liked this followup from the initial entry into the Jason Bourne film franchise. The film plowed through its plot nicely, and the action scenes got a bit too chaotic to really enjoy any of it (perhaps that was the point). There were plenty of twists and turns, plus the usual cat-n-mouse games on display. I did think that the film missed on the inner workings of Bourne's state of mind, so there is less of a connection to him from an audience point of view.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Last edited by Patman; 07-23-04 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-23-04, 09:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I also felt that all the action scenes, especially the fight scene, were way too shaky and fast cut. You couldn't follow the action at all. What good is it to have a car chase when you cannot tell what car is doing what and where the damn cars are.

Almost ruined the film for me.
Old 07-23-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Will be seeing TBS tomorrow.

Anyone see Julia Stiles on the Tonight Show last night? I was like WTF I didn't even know she was in the first one - the only woman I remember from the first one was Marie. Although I haven't seen the movie in a few months.

It does look like Stiles will have a bigger role in TBS.
Old 07-23-04, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by TheNightFlier
So you purposely come into a thread where you know they are discussing the movie and there are plenty of spoilers...

Wasn't as good as the first, but still a very strong movie. Mark me down as another one who didn't like the camera work, too jerky.

The car chase definitely ranks up there with the best.
no, I saw the midnight showing. However, the thread title does not mention spoilers, and it's still common courtesy to use the tags.

birrman54
Old 07-23-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't seen it yet (was going tonight) and was pissed that someone revealed that. That's what spoiler tags are for. There were no spoiler warnings that I saw.
Old 07-24-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trigger
I haven't seen it yet (was going tonight) and was pissed that someone revealed that. That's what spoiler tags are for. There were no spoiler warnings that I saw.
hmm, methinks he's not gonna get a spot on your cabinet if you win the election

better go on him
Old 07-24-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Incredible film, I think it may be better than the original.
****/****
but then again I loved Identity as well, and I'm a fan of the books (though they're very different), so take me as a fanboy if you will. . .

The one thing I didn't like was the quick cuts. They were fine, they just got excessive in some parts. But for the most part they did more good than bad, though I think a better way of capturing the action could have been used.
Old 07-24-04, 02:04 AM
Suspended

Went to see it today. It was a pretty good movie. The only problem I have with it was the action scenes. What's with the shaky camera everytime there were action going on. I don't mind the quick clips going through but does the camera has to be so shaky? It left me dizzy watching it! Very unprofessional!
Old 07-24-04, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ok - saw it tonight... wasn't all that impressed. Same problems as everyone else - shaky camera and quick cuts. I also thought it blew an opportunity to have an opening that grabbed the audience. I was bored with it for much of the beginning. In the films defense, I sat quite close and that didn't help at all. Plus, these motorcycle dudes were kicking our chairs.
Old 07-24-04, 06:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I enjoyed this movie. Matt damon owns this role. My only problem with this movie is some of the scenes such as the fights were impossible to watch. too much shaky camera, close up with the fights. look at me i'm directing crap. with that said i still liked the film, not as good as bourne identity but an enjoyable sequel. realistic action something hollywood seems to have a lot of trouble doing except for this series. at least everyone in this movie has a brain. the chase scene near the end was good but not as good as ronin or bourne identity.

Last edited by sabre; 07-24-04 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-24-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Birrman54

birrman54
I didn't spoil anything, I haven't seen the freaking movie yet either. I was asking a question and making a general statement.
Old 07-24-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. I had to look away from the screen a couple times because the shakiness was too much. I think it will view better on DVD since I was watching it on a huge screen that practically took up my entire field of vision.

Looked at Amazon and it looks like the movie is completely different from the book. Apparently there's one book left, though, The Bourne Ultimatum, so I suppose we can expect a trilogy.
Old 07-24-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it last night, really very good, I think a bit more action than the first one. I still rank The Bourne Identity slightly higher, but this one did a great job as well. The shaky camera was kind of annoying, mostly during the hand-to-hand fight and the car chase, but I expected it after seeing Bloody Sunday (which is an excellent movie).

Definitely looking forward to the final movie.
Old 07-24-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The shaky cam was intentional in that the director was going for a enveloping "you are there" feeling as Bourne and the other Treadstone agent fight inside the house. The use of it inside the cars during the chase scenes are also intentional, also to give the illusion of chaos and unpredictability (gritty, realism). I appreciate the intent, but it was almost as annoying as the crazy quick cuts by Tony Scott in "Man On Fire". Thankfully, I pretty much always sit in the back 1/3 of the theater, so the shaky camera footage wasn't as bad as it could have been had I been sitting in the front 1/3 of the theater.

Julia Stiles didn't really have that big a role in this film.
Old 07-24-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,088 Likes on 863 Posts
Originally posted by Demontooth
No, as it says in Roger Ebert's review of the movie, they merely "part ways".

Also, the shaky cam was indeed intentional, but I don't think it worked as well as intended.
Old 07-24-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

that camera work was the worst ever.

there are parts of the movie i didnt even grasp because of the shakiness and what looked liked they zoomed in, cutting off other parts of the body, which made things even more shakey.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.