Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bourne Supremacy, July 2004

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Bourne Supremacy, July 2004

Old 08-02-04, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read the novels and imho Damon is too young. In the book I think Bourne was in at least his late thirties or maybe in his forties. Someone older would have been better, but he did do a good job in both movies.
Old 08-02-04, 03:13 AM

Is this book out in print yet? And who wrote it? Was it from some of Ludlums old work that someone finished?
Old 08-02-04, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

^^
The Bourne Legacy by Eric Van Lustbader, released on June 22nd
Old 08-02-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw it this weekend and was kind of disappointed. I loved the first, something was missing in this sequel. It wasn't horrible, but I expected much better.

Hated, hated, hated the shaky cam. As someone who is prone to motion sickness in the first place, shaky cam is a horror. I found myself sick by the end and I was in the uppermost row. As already been mentioned it makes watching the action scenes so difficult and frustrating. Does it make it more realistic if you're trying to figure out what's going on? I don't think so, it actually takes away from the urgency of the moment.

The plot just left me blah.

Matt does an excellent job as Bourne though.
Old 08-08-04, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many chapters are there?
Old 08-08-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Ruderic
How many chapters are there?
I believe there are three books:

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum

Whether there is a third movie remains to be seen, but I suspect there will be one
Old 08-08-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you've read the books, Damon is too young.
But the movies aren't really like the books at all (Supremacy is less like the book than Identity was)
Old 08-08-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
Well, seeing as I only saw IDENTITY once, disliked it and couldn't even remember what happened in it when I went to see SUPREMACY (hey, I had a free ticket or I wouldn't have went), I would say NO, you don't need to have seen the first one.

BTW, I thought SUPREMACY was a very good movie - so I'm glad I didn't miss it.
Old 08-08-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was in a book store the other day and I noticed someone took the Bourne character and wrote a new book called "The Bourne Legacy." So you might be able to tack on another one to that list.
Old 08-08-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally posted by FinkPish
I was in a book store the other day and I noticed someone took the Bourne character and wrote a new book called "The Bourne Legacy." So you might be able to tack on another one to that list.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...889238-7970267

I don't know how I feel about Ludlum's estate permitting this - it kind of pisses me off. Guess I will have to read it and see if it is any good.

Last edited by B.A.; 08-08-04 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 11:46 AM
Retired

I saw this yesterday and came away very impressed. I'd probably rate it a little higher than the first. Loved the car chases. The shaky camera work was a little annoying at times though. I'd give it a 3 out 4.

I was amazed that the theater was packed at 1 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon for a flick that had been out for a couple weeks.
Old 08-31-04, 12:24 PM

Bourne supremacy question (spoiler).

I loved this film, the same as I loved the first one. Excellent car chase and I loved the fight in the house, BUT I have one question.
Why did threadstone come after Bourne after the hit in the Hotel based on 1 fingerprint.
I mean, if they realize that Bourne is so good then didn't they think it was weird that only one print was found, and such a neat clean print in the middle of the device, and only one on one device and none on the one next to it.
You would think that Threadstone would assume it was a plant, as I would assume Threadstone does this thing all the time.
Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that point seemed kinda sloppy since, I doubt an agent on the level of Bourne would leave a print behind (especially in such a conspicuous place) and, as you said, Threadstone would probably not fall for something like that either. Guess the writers didn't have any other ideas on how to implicate Bourne. Looking past that, it was still a great film.
Old 08-31-04, 12:35 PM
Retired

Being just one may have gave the impression that he had wiped the area down but screwed up and missed one spot.

A ton of prints would have probably not been as believable as they'd know he wouldn't be that careless.
Old 08-31-04, 12:42 PM

The print was on a charge that was supposed to explode, so there would be no prints. The other device didn't have a viable print cause the charge actually detonated.

This is why the one guy noticed that print looked planted, cause there was no need for two seperate charges on those power cables.
Old 09-25-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
I just got back from Supremacy and loved it. I think Damon is great in this role. I haven't read the novels, but I had to get home and check just how many books there are because I want more Bourne movies. I read the synopsis of them and must say they have taken some liberties with some of the characters ...
Spoiler:
killing them off and what-not when they appear in later novels. And the whole Carlos thing, whoever he is

As for the 4th book, the reviews on amazon are not favorable from fans who read the original trilogy.
Old 09-26-04, 11:46 AM
Banned

yeah i saw the bourne identity first they always show it on digital cable
Old 09-26-04, 01:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by John-In-VA
I once watched chapters 4,5,6 of a certain movie series before watching 1,2,3.
In fact, I still haven't seen 3.
That's too bad. Many consider Police Academy 3: Back in Training the second best in the series, behind the original, of course.

Old 11-19-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I just saw this movie this afternoon at the local dollar theater. I liked it. Much like many others in this thread, I hated the shaky cam, though.

I sat in front of the Woman Who States The Obvious Aloud. She'd tell her husband what was going onscreen, make exclamations when she figured out a plot point or recognized a reference to the previous Bourne film, and give directions to characters ("don't go in there!"). Man, was it annoying.

And Julia Stiles looked fine. There's something about her...
Old 12-20-04, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know im late, but i just got around to seeing this for the 1st time today and have a few questions, mostly concerning the plot.
First of all, why did Jason Bourne murder than man and his wife on that mission? I know he murderd the wife becuase he had to, she was there so she had to go too, but what was the purpose for his mission to off that russian dude?
Secondly, what did the murder of my first question have to do with beginning of the movie, where the whole mole thing was sabatoged?
I know by asking those questions, it sounds like i didnt know wtf was going on, your right, i didnt Now the first movie i loved and dug the whole plot, action, scenery, everything. This sequel was ok with the action, scenery, acting but i found the story messy and not interesting. One thing is for sure tho, Matt Damon is da man as Jason Bourne!
Old 01-02-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Um, I must be nuts because I didn't think the camera work was bad at all......I loved it and to be even more honest, I didn't notice any "shakey camera work (with the exception of the car chase and fight scene)" or "vomit inducing" at play either............weird stuff you guys and gals.

Anyway, yes, I'm beyond late with my two cents as well but who the hell cares? I don't have time to see every damn movie immediately.

Anyway, Anyway, I loved it and I rate it the same as the first (4 out of 4) the movie was done exactly as it should have been; a long exciting chase with an
Spoiler:
ending that clearly shows another sequel on the way
Old 01-02-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
One of my faves this year. I thought the camera work was very good and worked as it was intended to work. The frantic pace was great at showing just how quickly Bourne must react in those tight situations. Also, the best car chase Ive seen since Ronin. Excellent movie and I cant wait for the third one.
Old 01-03-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
I just watched this again tonight and wanted to ask a question on both Identity and Supremacy:

For me, they're the slickest action flicks to come along in a very long time, I honestly can't remember being this pleased with action movies. I just love the overall feel of both films, they both feel real and sure there are some stretches in each but they are just so solid and I love sitting through them.

Just curious to see if anyone else feels the same.
Old 01-04-05, 02:17 PM

I'm with you on that, Rival11.
Old 02-02-07, 04:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
On the dvd a few people were raving about how Joan allen is such a great actress bla-bla. I actually found her to be a bit wooden.
The shaky cam did not bother me as much, probably because I was watching it on a laptop screen. The story was great. I did miss Bourne kicking asses of inexperienced opponents - only scene was him thrashing the two guys in Italy.