Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bourne Supremacy, July 2004

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Bourne Supremacy, July 2004

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok just saw the trailer (was at work before), and yeah it looks very exciting. I hope Franka Potente gets to build on her role a bit, as it seems like she was a bit much of the "damsel in distress" in the first movie, although she had some great scenes once her character became more comfortable with Bourne. Looks like Joan Allen basically takes over Chris Cooper's role from the first movie, and Brian Cox and Julia Stiles have bigger roles this time around.

Hopefully its not the first movie over again. I hope he actually gets a step closer to finding out who he really is this time.
Old 05-08-04, 04:25 PM

I loved the first film greatly, looking forward to this for sure this summer.
Old 05-08-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by B.A.
This is going to be nothing like the book...and I don't care.
It's reminiscent of the Bond films and how they were "based" on Ian Fleming's books. And with the Bond series in the toilet(from a creative standpoint anyway), the Bourne movies are a welcome replacement.

Hmm, Jason Bourne=James Bond?
Old 05-09-04, 06:10 AM

Nah, James Bond is still James Bond. Jason Bourne is a nice diversion, but will never replace 007.
Old 05-09-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts
Looks solid, like the first one. This was shot on the fly, so I will be cautious.

Joan Allen looks pretty good with long hair IMO. I also hope that Franka Potente doesn't get killed in the first twenty minutes so Jason can get a new love interest either.
Old 05-11-04, 10:34 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 129 Posts
Saw this before Van Helsing, and am pretty pleased with how it looks I really enjoyed bourne identity.
Old 05-11-04, 10:39 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. I was pleasantly surprised by the first one and will definitely catch this one in the theater.
Old 06-14-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Advance one-sheet.
Old 06-14-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.thebournesupremacy.com/
Old 06-14-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They should have left him alone.
Old 06-15-04, 01:17 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
The Bourne Identity 2: Bourne 2 B Wild.
Hit the music!!!

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure...

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

I hope they use this song in the movie sound track. It's gonna be HOT!
Old 06-15-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of the few movies this summer that I'm looking forward to. I was pleasantly surprised by the first one.
Old 06-15-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the scene in the trailer where the police car smashes into the side of him. Very realistic looking!
Old 06-15-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to seeing this one. The poster looks cool.
Old 06-15-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by QuikSilver
Looking forward to seeing this one. The poster looks cool.
Too bad the original one-sheet looks like shit. Damn, that's horrible - someone deserves to get fired over this. It makes you appreciate the advance one-sheet even more.

Bourne Supremacy Original One-Sheet

Last edited by B.A.; 06-15-04 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-16-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jeffrey Wells liked it more than the original.

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/elsewhere/197.html
Old 07-16-04, 02:54 PM
Suspended

And.. the sequel to Bourne Supremacy will be Re-Bourne
Old 07-21-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw it last night at a pre-screening at the Lincoln Center Loews in NYC.

There were some problems with the screening so they let us in late. The movie was supposed to start at 6:30 but they let us in around 7 and that's when it started. After going to the bathroom, I missed the first 3 minutes or so which were a pretty important 3 minutes.

Neways, I thought that the first one was a lot better than this one. I'd give the first one 3.5 stars and the sequal 2.5 stars.

The second one is a lot shorter (around 90 minutes or so). Like Jeff Wells said, the jittery action sequences were really distracting. There were times that I had no idea what was going on. It was like I was on E or something at a rave. I could see ppl with epilepsy having a seizure during these scenes.

Besides this, the action and fight sequences were top notch esp. the car chase at the end.

There were a few shockers (esp in the beginning) and the way that they ended it definitely left the door open for a third movie.

Oh yeah, I was surprised that Damon was able to lose all the weight that he gained for Stuck On You. He was pretty chunky in that movie but he lost pretty much all that weight. However, he had a lot less muscle than he did during the Bourne Identity.

Last edited by Dabaomb; 07-21-04 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. I'm looking forward to this movie. For me, it's been a pretty sad summer movie season and this is one of the only highlights.
Old 07-21-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Dabaomb
After going to the bathroom, I missed the first 3 minutes or so which were a pretty important 3 minutes.

Neways, I thought that the first one was a lot better than this one. I'd give the first one 3.5 stars and the sequal 2.5 stars.

The second one is a lot shorter (around 90 minutes or so).
The first 3 minutes contained nothing important.
Spoiler:
It was just flash backs of his first mission, which were talked about throughout the film. After that was just him running down the beach.

I agree with you on the rating of the two films. The second one was not 90 minutes, but was nearly 115 minutes.
Old 07-21-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by steebo777
The first 3 minutes contained nothing important.
Spoiler:
It was just flash backs of his first mission, which were talked about throughout the film. After that was just him running down the beach.

I agree with you on the rating of the two films. The second one was not 90 minutes, but was nearly 115 minutes.
hmm, my bad about the timing. They didn't let us bring camera cell phones into the theater so i didn't know how long it was. We got out of the theater at 8:30 after the credits had ended and since I thought that we started around 7 PM, I thought that the movie was 90 minutes long.
Old 07-21-04, 01:07 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend. Ebert and Roeper seemed to like it also, giving it two thumbs up.

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/eber...per/today.html
Old 07-21-04, 01:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

A good film, but Liman's touch with the material was much better. He is deeply missed.

I would love to hear thoughts on the obnoxious use of handheld photography in the film. That's what killed the fun for me. The rapid-fire editing is one thing (booo!), but to turn the image into mush with all the quaking camera? Double booooo!
Old 07-21-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Saw it last night at a sneak preview here in Seattle, thought it was better than the first, but not as good as I'd hoped. I didn't like the ending (too many "we're going to make MORE sequels" threads dangling, it was like a TV show pilot), and I saw the "twist" coming, ie the fact that
Spoiler:
this was all about the job he kept dreaming about, and I even suspected that the older CIA guy was involved with the whole mess, working with the guys who'd framed him.

Other than that, I thought it was great. Brutal chase scene, and much less eye-rolling-inducing than some other spy movies (read: any recent Bond movie ). The way he interacted with
Spoiler:
the other Treadstone agent, not trusting him for a SECOND,
the way the story didn't have those stupid Bond cliches, like
Spoiler:
the girl didn't get saved at the last minute, the bad guy didn't KNOWINGLY spill his guts to Bourne, the CIA made some mistakes but not the "DUHHH" kind, etc,
all of those made this better than your average spy movie.

Originally posted by scott shelton
I would love to hear thoughts on the obnoxious use of handheld photography in the film. That's what killed the fun for me. The rapid-fire editing is one thing (booo!), but to turn the image into mush with all the quaking camera? Double booooo!
Meh, it was a little distracting, but more realistic in some ways, and to me it made the fight scenes seem more real: you got a feeling of the violence without seeing a "staged fight" quite as clearly. The only time I thought it was distracting was at the beginning, where
Spoiler:
he was running along the beach; I didn't think the camera bouncing worked for that scene
Old 07-23-04, 09:47 AM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
Ebert's 3-star review here.

Definitely going to this over the weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.