Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien vs. Predator

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
So wait...

Batman's in this...right?
Fortunately, no, because evidence has proven that Batman vs. Aliens vs. Predators would be REALLY crap on film. Really, really laughable ludicrously crap.

And Anderson doesn't need the help churning out crap.
Old 10-29-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh god. the screen writer, Shane Salerno's other major credits include Shaft.
Old 10-29-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I guess you guys are talking about Paul W.S. Anderson. Either way, I like both Paul Thomas and Paul W.S.s work. I don't know what everyone's so worked up about with the director.. I mean, David Fincher's Alien was widely hated... and so was Jean-Pierre Jeunet's film. Both are very competent and brilliant directors (arguably). The whole idea of putting Aliens and Predators together belongs in video games and comic books anyway, not movies.

I also simply can't understand what's so bad about Paul W.S. Anderson... I mean, Event Horizon was awesome, Mortal Kombat was great - a huge surprise to everyone and completely brilliant considering the source material, and Resident Evil was kickass as well. Sure, there's Soldier, but I blame the story and Kurt Russell. It's one thing to complain about a story premise or a script that's already been written, but to completely condemn a movie that hasn't even been made yet because of who the director is is lame. At least let him start working on it before you crap on him.

Peter Jackson directed Bad Taste, which (in spite of the underground fandom it has) was a crap movie... then he goes on to direct the Lord of the Rings trilogy which is adored by many. Maybe if Paul Anderson had some good material beyond video game to movie scripts and second rate sci-fi, he'd shock the world with how good a director he is. There's nothing to base all this Anderson bashing on. Especially since the idea of an Alien vs Predator movie is kinda on par with Soldier as far as creative juices go.
Old 10-29-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Well, I guess you guys are talking about Paul W.S. Anderson. Either way, I like both Paul Thomas and Paul W.S.s work.
Free country.
I don't know what everyone's so worked up about with the director.
Because Anderson is incredibily untalented and unimaginative.
I mean, David Fincher's Alien was widely hated... and so was Jean-Pierre Jeunet's film.
Fincher's film was taken away from him, and a mediocre film was made much worse. Jeunet didn't even speak english and completely misunderstood what Joss Whedon wanted. Doesn't excuse how bad the films were, but explains why.
Both are very competent and brilliant directors (arguably).

Both are competent and brilliant, no question.
The whole idea of putting Aliens and Predators together belongs in video games and comic books anyway, not movies.
Why?

I also simply can't understand what's so bad about Paul W.S. Anderson...
Borrow some glasses!
I mean, Event Horizon was awesome,
Here, "awesome" means "spectacularly derivative, poorly-written crap with no soul and an ambarrassmment to a fine cast".
Mortal Kombat was great - a huge surprise to everyone and completely brilliant considering the source material, and Resident Evil was kickass as well.
Both were dreck. MK, while enjoyable dreck, is by no means a good film. RE was worse, for making a zombie film with eight minutes of actual zombies.
Sure, there's Soldier, but I blame the story and Kurt Russell.
Um... you like Resident Evil, which is worse than Soldier?
It's one thing to complain about a story premise or a script that's already been written, but to completely condemn a movie that hasn't even been made yet because of who the director is is lame. At least let him start working on it before you crap on him.
Of course it's justified to predict how good a film will be by its director. Anderson is a terrible director. The film will need a lot of help not to be terrible. He is also one of the writers, and he has of course started working on this film.

Peter Jackson directed Bad Taste, which (in spite of the underground fandom it has) was a crap movie... then he goes on to direct the Lord of the Rings trilogy which is adored by many.
LOTR, so far, is an incredible series of films. I'm no Tolkien fan, but the films are great. Jackson can direct, and he showed off his talents well, even in a not-quite-a-film Bad Taste.
Maybe if Paul Anderson had some good material beyond video game to movie scripts and second rate sci-fi, he'd shock the world with how good a director he is.
Or, more likely, he'll completely waste the opportunity by producing an incompetent film.
There's nothing to base all this Anderson bashing on.
Um... yes there is.
Shopping
Soldier
Resident Evil
Mortal Kombat
Event Horizon
Especially since the idea of an Alien vs Predator movie is kinda on par with Soldier as far as creative juices go.
So it may be, but it's a good premise, and one the sci-fi fanboys want. Let them have the film, but let them have a film that will possibly be GOOD.
Old 10-29-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Well, I guess you guys are talking about Paul W.S. Anderson. Either way, I like both Paul Thomas and Paul W.S.s work. I don't know what everyone's so worked up about with the director.. I mean, David Fincher's Alien was widely hated... and so was Jean-Pierre Jeunet's film. Both are very competent and brilliant directors (arguably). The whole idea of putting Aliens and Predators together belongs in video games and comic books anyway, not movies.

I also simply can't understand what's so bad about Paul W.S. Anderson... I mean, Event Horizon was awesome, Mortal Kombat was great - a huge surprise to everyone and completely brilliant considering the source material, and Resident Evil was kickass as well. Sure, there's Soldier, but I blame the story and Kurt Russell. It's one thing to complain about a story premise or a script that's already been written, but to completely condemn a movie that hasn't even been made yet because of who the director is is lame. At least let him start working on it before you crap on him.

Peter Jackson directed Bad Taste, which (in spite of the underground fandom it has) was a crap movie... then he goes on to direct the Lord of the Rings trilogy which is adored by many. Maybe if Paul Anderson had some good material beyond video game to movie scripts and second rate sci-fi, he'd shock the world with how good a director he is. There's nothing to base all this Anderson bashing on. Especially since the idea of an Alien vs Predator movie is kinda on par with Soldier as far as creative juices go.
I agree with everything you wrote (with the exception of the Bad Taste is crap thing ).

I'm looking forward to this movie.
Old 10-29-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The thing is trigger, you jump from Bad Taste to LOTR's with peter jackson. there was some middle ground and a lot of steps shown of improvement. The frightneers for one, Brain dead.

Jackson's credits show some improvement. I'm not a fan of RE, but really, when you do not have Stan winstons (Queen alien and Predator designer) or H.R Giger (alien) on board of a film based on there work.. it's a bit tough to think that it would be a great film. Then you throw in a screen writer who's other works include Shaft which totally missed the point of shaft you get a bad mix even before you get to Paul Anderson directing it.

It's just a bad mix. just sounds bad.
Old 10-29-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid!
I totally disagree. I dig Resident Evil, I loved Event Horizon, it has tremendous atmosphere & I honestly think one of the creepiest mainstream movies in years, I think soldier is extemely underrated, a VERY hard movie to pull off since it stars a character that literally only says a few words the entire movie, the movie is ALL directing. I'm all for Anderson as a director. I don't get why he is so hated & more so , what exactly is it about him that you hate so much. All of his movies have a fairly unique look & are heavy on atmosphere, plus he is not one of the modern MTV directors that uses constant shaky cam & zoom-ins with blarring music which is all more than I can say for most directors these days. I think is a perfect fit for A vs P. My biggest fear for this movie is the script, I think the director is the best thing going for the movie.

Last edited by Sessa17; 10-29-03 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I repeat..

No:
Stan Winston
Giger
Marines
Arnold, Glover or Weaver

= all signs point to suckekekekekekekek
Old 10-29-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I repeat..

No:
Stan Winston
Giger
Marines
Arnold, Glover or Weaver

= all signs point to suckekekekekekekek
I agree with you, except for the Arnold, Glover Weaver variable.

Arnold - I loved that he was missing from the second one, gave it much less of a Die Hard feel. Shows there are other people in the world that can overcome one badass mofo alien. Plus the Alien storyline is decades, if not centuries beyond the original Predator story lines.
Glover - See above
Weaver -she outlived her usefullness in Aliens, we can have other characters injected into the mix.

It is good to see Henrickson back in the fold
Old 10-29-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have to also admit the whole star thing was in there a little out of the blue. the main purpose was to show they are casting someone who has nothing to do with the series in it. might as well just leave it to a simple AvP then add the whole actor in it.
Old 10-29-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Because Anderson is incredibily untalented and unimaginative.

Borrow some glasses!

Here, "awesome" means "spectacularly derivative, poorly-written crap with no soul and an ambarrassmment to a fine cast".

Both were dreck.

Um... you like Resident Evil, which is worse than Soldier?
I was kinda offended until I saw that you like such classic and brilliant films as The Big Hit, Cable Guy, Liar Liar, The Matchmaker, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Bad Boys, Last Action Hero and Roadhouse. With such refined tastes, I can see why you would think that Event Horizon, Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil are so terrible.
Old 10-29-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the Aliens v. Predator Featurette Online

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/featurette/

Looks pretty cool actually.
Old 10-29-03, 10:31 PM

I'm highly disappointed that this is going to be made into a standard popcorn flick. Seriously, putting time, effort, and money into a project and actually making it quality would get you a better return.

I will still watch the movie because I love both genres and have enjoyed the AvP comics. I liked RE if for no other reason than I like zombie movies (were there even zombies in RE? I forget) and I loved the games. MK was good for what it was. A mindless action movie that was faithful to the game.

However, I expected and hoped for more when it comes to the Aliens movies and especially AvP.
Old 10-29-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Thanks man!

It looks very interesting.
Old 10-29-03, 10:35 PM

So are the predators now from the same planet as Stargate?

They built the Mayan pyramids???

Uhhh....

Errr.....

Who's a what now??????????

Soooo disappointing.

Not only that, but it actually takes place on Earth? Sigh... You know, they do have source material for this sort of thing and good ones at that.

Last edited by yecul; 10-29-03 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Sanah Lathan is a good actress so you doubters may be shocked.

some of you may recognize her as Blade's mother....
Old 10-29-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie is going to be so bad that even my grandfather is mocking it.

Anderson as director
+
none of the original actors
+
over use of modern day digital effects
=
me wishing it was 1987 again.
Old 10-29-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My god, I was sad in the other thread, now I'm just depressed.

Let me get this straight

Hundreds and thousands of years ago the predators where our "gods" and had us build pyramids..

then to prove themselves men they hunt down aliens (where did they come from again? Earth?)

they destroyed themselves and took out civilizations (which might I add were swormed with thousands of aliens??)

man. forget lucas destroying my childhood. this bastard did it.
Old 10-29-03, 10:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I think this one is probably going to turn into big pile of hopeless turd.
Old 10-29-03, 10:54 PM
Banned

Well, at least the logo is kind of cool. The concept art looked reasonably interesting. While this movie doesn't sound that great, it seems a lot of people seem eager to trash Anderson just because he's Anderson.
Old 10-29-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by UKingdom
it seems a lot of people seem eager to trash Anderson just because he's Anderson.
That's reason enough for me!
Old 10-29-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sorry, this smells like a stinker well before you factor in anderson as director.

No stan winston
No Giger
No Marines
Nonesense plot (recall, aliens weren't originally on earth, in Alien 4 the intent was to keep them AWAY from earth. in Alien the purpose was for the corporation to bring back a sample.)
Predators were our gods?
Script writer did SHAFT

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-29-03 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow after seeing that featurette I think I might just cry. What in the hell are these people thinking? Have they even watched the movies or read the comics before they wrote this script???

Predators are Gods??

And they made the pyramids? uhhhhhhh
Old 10-29-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two thumbs up
Old 10-30-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paul W.S.W.T.F. Anderson, please drink some Drano.

Hope this has a really high budget and makes about 10 cents. You can't convince me that the studio couldn't find better writers and a better director for this piece.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.