Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My biggest worry about this movie was that the ending would feel too abrupt. Fortunately, it was perfect. Sitting there watching the movie, I actually couldn't imagine the film continuing after that last scene. It was a perfect stopping point, and I think Miramax made a good decision splitting the film into two parts.

As for the movie itself - absolutely ****ing awesome! While I probably didn't get most of the in jokes, I was still thoroughly entertained the whole time (and I mean thoroughly). This movie was intended to be an exercise in over-the-top style and violence, and that's exactly what it was. Pure, unadulterated movie making. This is a near perfect movie.

Damn it's gonna be a long four months.
Old 10-10-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mordred
One question I had. I read on AICN this morning that there was an epilogue that "completely changed" the film or something like that. I stayed through a majority of the credits (but not all of them) and didn't see any epilogue. I've heard reports that there is no epilogue and Harry Knowles was smoking something... or he saw a different print. Anybody actually stay through the end of the credits and can confirm there was nothing I missed?

Mordred
If I remember correctly, we see two credits that were "Written & Directed By Quentin Tarantino" and then "Based On Characters Created By Q & U" or something along those lines.

After those two credits are shown, it goes back to the movie where we see
Spoiler:
a plane flying and the bride on it writing up her list. Bill and the girl at the hospital continue to talk and he asks her something like "does she know that her daughter is still alive?" After that the movie ends and the rest of the credits roll.
Old 10-10-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too much overwhelming good praise here. I guess the usual DVD Talk nay-sayers that trash all things popular & enjoyable, haven't seen the movie yet

But seriously, I think the true brilliance of this film is, that there are going to be people that hate it, but I don't see how even those people can say it's a bad movie. B/c it is undebiably powerful & brilliantly executed film making. Plus, the type of people that will hate this movie should clearly know before hand what type of movie it is, so one would assume they would have no interest in seeing it anyway.

Last edited by Sessa17; 10-10-03 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-10-03, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Nosebleed
If I remember correctly, we see two credits that were "Written & Directed By Quentin Tarantino" and then "Based On Characters Created By Q & U" or something along those lines.

After those two credits are shown, it goes back to the movie where we see
Spoiler:
a plane flying and the bride on it writing up her list. Bill and the girl at the hospital continue to talk and he asks her something like "does she know that her daughter is still alive?" After that the movie ends and the rest of the credits roll.
This did not happen with the print I saw. There were no credits before the last scene.

One thing I did find odd about the (opening) credits was the card that read "The fourth film by Quentin Taranino". This statement makes since on the trailer, but not the opening credits. Was this some in-joke or something?
Old 10-10-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
Of course, this movie has some plot holes and lapses of logic (thats to be expected with a film like this and I have no problem with it) but there was one that stuck out to me:
Spoiler:
After Uma's character kills the hospital orderly and would be rapist, she hides out in the "P***y Wagon" (presumably in the hospital parking lot) until she can get the feeling back in her legs. According to a subtitle that takes 13 hours. In all that time, you would think that the bodies would be discovered, and police would be searching the whole place including the parking lot.
That was the only one that struck a false chord with me but I can deal with it.
I thought the same thing, especially considering that she's
Spoiler:
hiding out in the dead man's car, which they would have surely gone looking for.

Originally posted by f1shf00d
....that the English dialogue seemed formal and unnatural....
I noticed that too, but I liked it...this is my take on it: the characters, particulary Uma's, speak English in the same formal, unnatural way that characters in Chinese and Japanese action films which are translated to English speak. In that sense, it's appropriate and cool and a subtle homage.

Another little treat...the male nurse is played by the actor who was the a-hole boyfriend in the great '80s flick Valley Girl. On the Valley Girl DVD, the actor (Michael Bowen) says that Quentin Tarantino came up to him once and told him what a huge fan of Valley Girl he was and starting reciting Michael's lines from the film. Obviously Quentin remembered him come casting time for this flick.
Old 10-10-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and to people who think this is the goriest, most violent film, I recommend Takeshi Miike's Ichi The Killer. Seems to me to be have been a big influence on Kill Bill.
Old 10-10-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

how much of the movie is in subtitles? my dads not a big subtitle fan, not a black and white fan, and defenetly not an anime fan, but still wants to see the movie.
Old 10-10-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts
I quite liked it... but the gore is highly overrated, actually the movie isn't really all that bloody at all - though I suppose by hollywood standards it is.

Spoiler:
After Uma's character kills the hospital orderly and would be rapist, she hides out in the "P***y Wagon" (presumably in the hospital parking lot) until she can get the feeling back in her legs. According to a subtitle that takes 13 hours. In all that time, you would think that the bodies would be discovered, and police would be searching the whole place including the parking lot.
-cultshock
this didn't bother me for one reason...
Spoiler:
I don't really know much about hospitals or how long an orderly's shift is.. but it seems a Coma ward would be a "check once a day" thing. And being that's where their bodies are...

But that's my own stupid logic.
Old 10-10-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Originally posted by caiman

One thing I did find odd about the (opening) credits was the card that read "The fourth film by Quentin Taranino". This statement makes since on the trailer, but not the opening credits. Was this some in-joke or something?
Someone mentioned in the other Kill Bill thread that it could be a nod to Godard's Alphaville which opens its credits with "The Ninth film by Jean-Luc Godard" . Tarantino is a big fan of the director.

Another little treat...the male nurse is played by the actor who was the a-hole boyfriend in the great '80s flick Valley Girl. On the Valley Girl DVD, the actor (Michael Bowen) says that Quentin Tarantino came up to him once and told him what a huge fan of Valley Girl he was and starting reciting Michael's lines from the film. Obviously Quentin remembered him come casting time for this flick.
Tararantino must like him, he was in Jackie Brown too.

how much of the movie is in subtitles? my dads not a big subtitle fan, not a black and white fan, and defenetly not an anime fan, but still wants to see the movie.

The last half of the film takes place in Japan, and at that point I would guess at least two thirds of the dialogue is in Japanese (except for Uma's voiceover narration). The English subs are big and legible though, so that might help. (I know what you mean, my dads the same way)

And RichC2, good point.

Last edited by cultshock; 10-10-03 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-10-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There isnt one fictional movie ever made that covers all bases as regards reality. If you find an incident as minor as the hospital scene to be a problem, you shouldnt have watched this film. Especially considering some of the other feats accomplished by Uma. Not to bash anyone but movies are meant to have various levels of escapism, especially this one.

Last edited by gmal2003; 10-10-03 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-10-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
Of course, this movie has some plot holes and lapses of logic (thats to be expected with a film like this and I have no problem with it )
If I may quote myself.

Last edited by cultshock; 10-10-03 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-10-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I liked the movie. I am looking forward to seeing it again

I must admit it is a strange picture with a large Tarantino stamp on it.
Old 10-10-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good movie, lots of gore. best part of the entire movie experience for me was when uma is looking over her agent smith fight scene carnage and some guy sitting 10 seats to my right says "this is one F^&*ed up movie". lol!! obviously not a QT fan...

j
Old 10-10-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
Oh, and to people who think this is the goriest, most violent film, I recommend Takeshi Miike's Ichi The Killer. Seems to me to be have been a big influence on Kill Bill.
Nobody has said Kill Bill is the "most goriest, most violent film. They said it MAY be the most violent movie ever released in mainstream America. And I couldn't disagree more on Ichi being a big influence on Kill Bill. I saw NONE of a movie like Ichi in Kill Bill. Kill Bill is a throwback to old fashioned grindhouse cinema. Ichi The Killer is a direct to video new age hyper-modern Yakuza movie. Two different types of movies IMO & I don't think Kill Bill was even slightly influenced by Ichi The Killer.

Last edited by Sessa17; 10-10-03 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-10-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe this movie, it is awesome.

I honestly enjoyed it alot, despite ALL THE HYPE surrounding the movie.

Okay, the action scenes are very very well done, but not as good as I expected (b/c my expectation is so damn high). HOWEVER, I feel like a 2nd viewing will make me appreciate it more. The fight scenes are just so STYLIZED, it is unbelievable.

I love the music, it is perfect for every scene. Except perhaps the opening song (bang bang.....

Oh yah, to those who love the Samurai Shodown series like I do, well, you will get a treat!!! You will see!

I also love one of the flash back side story and how it is told. Very surprised, I don't want to spoil it to those who haven't seen it but damn, I wasn't expecting the movie to go into such a dramatic change of presentation!

And then, the humor. The movie NEVER TOOK ITSELF seriously, yah, it is gory, but it is so exaggerated you can't help but laugh. The dialogue is pretty funny at times too (but sometimes it tried just a weebit too hard to be amusing but borderlined cheesy... like the one in the trailer, trix is for kids). It has Quentin's style written all over it, which I love.

Overall, I give it a A-. Great movie, great fun, turn off your brain at the door and enjoy the ride, and what a ride it is!
Old 10-10-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh My Goodness, this film is not for the faint of heart, but action junkies will enjoy the swordplay and the amoung of carnage on display. I think Uma Thurman should have been casted in Terminator 3 because she's damn determined, relentless and oh so cold-hearted. She's an amazing piece of work, so focused, in spite of the odds.

Some of the dialogue is vintage Tarantino, but for the ardent fans, there's probably not enough juicy dialogue to go ga-ga over, but the action makes up for most of the lack in dialogue. While the story seems simple for the first part of the story, the narrative structure jumps around, and the background tidbits are shockingly pure and to the core of each of Black Mamba's (Uma's character) revenge targets.

I'll give it 3 stars, or a grade of B for the stylistic carnage that'll have you laughing at the aftermath, moreso than being aghast by it.
Old 10-10-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was also quite suprised how this was filmed. The three previous Tarantino directed movies had basically very little camera work. In this movie the camera was all over the place.
Old 10-10-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Loved the camera work. it was all over the place. I was thinking of the cut free shot from the player while they were going on. A lot of homage and though I did have beef with the whole "Put you dick in a nintendo" comment from QT when I saw any little sign of computer aided shots I still enjoyed it. the action with the 88 group was great. Over all, a great film.
Old 10-10-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
Finally! A movie that lives up to the hype. The only problem I had with the film is that some moron young couple brought their 3 or 4 year old child with them into the theater!

Anyone have a favorite scene or montage in the movie? Mine's the section where Uma's character is making her way to Tokyo. My second favorite scene has to be the "disagreement" that Lucy Liu has with one of her gang's members at a meeting.

Also, unlike the Matrix Reloaded, the split here between two films actually works. We get a great cliffhanger, but we don't feel as if we haven't seen a complete movie.
Old 10-10-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Finally! A movie that lives up to the hype. The only problem I had with the film is that some moron young couple brought their 3 or 4 year old child with them into the theater!
That happened in my crowd too which p'ed me off. How could a parent honestly reason that this movie is suitable for a little kid is beyond me. But back to the film, it was awesome. The more I think about it, the better it seems to me. Im not a huge fan of gore (but I can handle it and besides this film is much more than gore to defend that statement)so the b & w scenes were good for me. The contrast of the vivid colors after the battle was great.I also noticed how the English dialogue (esp. between Mamba and Copperhead) was rather unnatural but given the fact that QT used great actors and he is known for having films with natural realistic dialogue (Pulp Fiction), I realized it was intentional which added to the film. This film is very unique and I guess I will have to hide from the threats of Vol. 2 spoilers as I have been doing for the Matrix. O yea, Uma Thurman has just become like 10 times hotter.

P.S. Since Reloaded has its "Burly Brawl" lets coin this one the "Bloody Brawl"
Old 10-10-03, 10:13 PM

I really loved the movie...the action was unbelievable...the camera work/angles were excellent...even the music rocked...Even the anime & the B&W scenes were a nice touch...I cant wait till part 2...."Beat it Charlie Brown"...
Old 10-10-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts
BTW - I gotta say - I love the intro to the House of Blue Leaves where the camera just kind of "floats" and follows everyone around in continuity, I've always been fond of those kind of setups and really loved it in this movie.
Old 10-10-03, 10:45 PM

Loved it - though did anyone else notice the new MPAA copyright scheme? The dotted letters /symbols that appear for a frame or two? I noticed them and it was kind of annoying.

Great movie otherwise and loved the very last scene. Great way to end volume 1.
Old 10-10-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Big fan of jackie brown. Really liked his other pictures.

Kill Bill volume 1- Kind of blah.

I'm hoping the 2nd half is more classic quentin and less crappy over-the-top asian pictures.
Heads, Hands & feet may roll, but so do my eyes.

Best bits-

The P**** wagon.
The Kitchen knife fight.
Uma. She's always captivating to watch.
Old 10-10-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Considering that the anime was done by Studio I.G. (FLCL, etc) -- I was kinda hoping/expecting a cleaner style. Oh well -- still pretty neat.

I don't know the actors name (and I didn't catch the characters name) -- but I could swear that the bald guy with the eyebrows helping Hanzo is the actor who played the little nutty assassin from "Sharkskin Man Peach Hip Girl". As I was watching him I knew I recognized him from something else, but I couldn't fit it together (without his hair) until I got home.

Can anyone verify?

As for an interesting scene -- everyone in our theater was rolling when
Spoiler:
the gun was fired from the "kaboom" cereal box

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.