Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has an official run time been given, I heard 112 min, I've heard around 90 min. and how does the movie "end" (spoiler tags please)
Old 10-03-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oh yeah, and in some theater in the baltimore dc area, there's gonna be a special Tarintino marathon consisting of reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, jackie brown and kill bill. anyone know where this is being held? (its a 99.1 hfs contest)

and for those interested
Old 10-03-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts
has an official run time been given, I heard 112 min, I've heard around 90 min
The movie itself is about 94 to 98 minutes long, the rest is credits (so in all, in terms of how movie length is measured, it's 112 minutes).

Somebody commented there's an ad saying "Two Big Thumbs Up" - Ebert and Roeper but by posting that I'm just perpetuating rumors for now... guess will know for sure tomorrow, that's cool tho - ebert tends to "Big thumb up" entertaining flicks.

-Rich
Old 10-04-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebert will definatley give this a thumbs up. He's a Tarantino-whore like a lot of people on this board. If he could change one thing about his life, he would go back and give Reservoir Dogs 4 stars instead of 2 and a half. He felt like he had to compensate and give Jackie Brown 4 stars.
Old 10-04-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's an awesome "Making Of..." from TheMovieBox.com. It's in quicktime and split up into 4 parts. Here's the link:

http://www.themoviebox.net/trailers/...ill/making-of/

Damn, the closer this movie gets, the more I wanna see it.
Old 10-04-03, 11:28 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Geoff, regarding your dvd talk review of the flick would you really have to see all or most of the shaw bros. and kung fu flicks to really enjoy the movie, or would most go in blind and still like it? for instance, I saw jay and silent bob strikes back blind with no kevin smith knowledge, and still thought it was funny as hell.
You can go in 'blind' and enjoy it. I just felt like there were a number of spots where I knew there was a reference that I simply didn't get.
Old 10-05-03, 12:42 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

about the DVD, will there be two separate releases? Or one four-hour version? I hope for the single edition.

your thoughts...
Old 10-05-03, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by TCG
about the DVD, will there be two separate releases? Or one four-hour version? I hope for the single edition.

your thoughts...
Here's a recent news item about the DVD:

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/news.asp?story=5063
Old 10-06-03, 12:52 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lint21
Here's a recent news item about the DVD:

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/news.asp?story=5063
Tarantino's a maniac!

Well, at least he's enthusiastic. If he's right about that stuff, I'll wait for the 'big' version (assuming I like the movie).
Old 10-06-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm surprised that Ebert gave Natural Born Killers 4 stars. Most Tarantino "whores" hate that movie with a passion, and wish he had his version instead.

and I saw in yesterdays paper, it got two thumbs way up by Ebert and Roper.
Old 10-06-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I waited in line yesterday morning for 2 hours to get my advance pass to "Kill Bill."

I'll be seeing it Wednesday night!

w00t!!!
Old 10-06-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Here's part of a review by James Berardinelli that confirms my worst thoughts on this movie:

"Quentin Tarantino fans have been waiting six long years for the release of the director's follow-up to Jackie Brown. So what do they get for their patience? An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus. A film whose editing and inelegant structure have been severely compromised by the avarice of the Miramax head honchos, who believe they can wring more money from viewers by splitting Kill Bill into two pieces and double-charging everyone.

There's a key difference between Kill Bill and the likes of The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings, and Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources. All of those movies required more than one part to tell the entire story, but they were developed in such a way that each movie represents a chapter, sculpted within its constraints to follow a basic three-act structure. Each has a clearly defined, complete arc within the context of a larger, sprawling narrative. The average viewer left The Matrix Reloaded, The Fellowship of the Ring, and Jean de Florette satisfied (to varying degrees) and anticipating the next film. Not so with Kill Bill, which was constructed as a single motion picture before being sundered at the eleventh hour. The result is messy and frustrating - a movie that feels incomplete in every aspect. I felt like a con had been perpetrated upon me. As a whole, Kill Bill might be an entertaining product, but, after seeing Volume 1, I was insulted. What Miramax has done (in collusion with Tarantino, who seemingly supports their position) is a travesty. It's outrageous to expect people to buy two tickets, make two trips to theaters, and wait four months in between in order to see an entire movie. "

Miramax, Wien$tien & Tarantino should be ashamed of themselves for doing this.
Old 10-06-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still think the split bashing is out of hand, if I'm entertained for 90 minutes I'm fine. Tho I suppose if someone feels ripped off, they feel ripped off. Some people did with Kill Bill, others didn't. I for one - felt ripped off by Fellowship of the Ring, but that didn't hurt my rating.
Old 10-06-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now its Wien$tein? Why cant we just use the keyboard like it was meant to be used?
Old 10-07-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

one more question to someone who has seen the movie, how long is the movie in black and white? I read on htf that there is a black and white sequence durring one of the fights, and that the japanese will get a color version of that scene because Tarantino thinks the color gore, would have gotten an NC-17/
Old 10-07-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rypro - I haven't seen the movie but I did read the entire 88 Yakuza fight is B&W.
Old 10-07-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is this that big fight thats at the "end" of the movie?
Old 10-07-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is this that big fight thats at the "end" of the movie?
Yea but this is just one of the fights "at the end", there's some other filters used during it, but we don't see the full deal of the damage until it's over with. Allegidly the last 30 minutes take place as the House of Blue Leaves or whatever it's called... ---possible spoiler though it's all in the ads: Which includes the fight with Go-Go, 88 Yakuza, a few others, and O-Ren Ishii. Somebody said Japan is getting a color version of the fight but til it's out it's just a rumor. The 88 Yakuza fight is the black and white one, but also the one w/ most of the dismemberment.. people said it was a stylistic choice, but others are saying it was MPAA influenced. Hopefully we'll have a color version on the DVD.
Old 10-08-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
I've also read that cutting to B&W in this scene makes absolutely no sence cinematically.
Old 10-08-03, 09:34 AM

It's not an MPAA thing ... the B&W is specified in the early draft of the script:

" This explosion of furious violence is punctuated CINEMATICALLY BY THE COLOR IN THE FILM POPPING OFF, and the fight being filmed in HIGH CONTRAST BLACK AND WHITE, turning the squirting, spewing geysers of BLOOD FROM CRIMSON RED TO OIL BLACK."

So if you've got an issue with it, it comes from QT.

Last edited by Inverse; 10-08-03 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

but the japanese market gets this scene in color, so he might have done this in case of mpaa problems. (and we still do see lots of blood and guts in full color right?)
Old 10-08-03, 10:10 AM

Yeah, but who says the Japanese market is going to get that scene in color? Miramax? Tarantino? Or some fan in some Internet forum?

Like RichC2 said, it's just a rumor until we get some confirmation.
Old 10-08-03, 11:02 AM

Hmmm, went over to HTF and checked out the thread. The Japan-gets-color concept comes from a Chicago Tribune article quoted as follows:

"So the Japanese will be treated to a bit more gore, and, in one key difference, the American/European version goes to black-and-white for the bloodiest stretch of the samurai battle while the Japanese version stays in color. Tarantino said his reasons for the switch go beyond the MPAA, which might have been more tempted to slap an NC-17 on "Kill Bill" if it included such graphic bloodspilling. (It received an R.)

"It's not blood that people have a problem with; they have a problem with the color red, all right?" Tarantino says. "And all of a sudden when you take crimson red and turn it into black oil yet intellectually you know it's still blood, it's a little different. To just drown the American audience in blood is to win the battle and lose the war. But also even if I could've gotten an R with the color version, once I discovered the black- and-white, I would've gone to the black-and-white anyway. It kept it fun.""

This is very odd, though ... QT seems to be saying that Japan will get the color version, even though he really does prefer B&W for that scene. In the director's intent is the most important thing, it sounds like Japan should be hankering the US/European version and not the other way around!
Old 10-08-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,574 Posts
Thanks Inverse, I was wondering where this rumour came from. You're right, if Tarantino wants the scene B&W as a stylistic choice, it seems strange that the Japanese print might show it in colour. I can't wait until Oct 10th and then Nov 8th (got my Japanese movie ticket reserved ) so I can see the possible difference.
Old 10-09-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What? That it changes from color to black is a spoiler now? Color is now a spoiler? Plus, it's a Kill Bill thread. Regardless if it's a review thread or not, you should expect details or whatnot...or did I just fall into a joke?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.