Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts
Also,
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure the revelation that Uma's daughter is still alive was added to the end when it was decided Kill Bill would be two movies. That seems like something they would want to save until the end of a bigger movie.
Old 10-11-03, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having Vivica in the movie seemed to me so it would be like the original script of Game Of Death where Bruce Lee had to face 5 different martial artists. I'm sure there is lots of other movies where 5 is the magic number.
Old 10-11-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Vivivan for me, done nothing, infact I wish they would of left her out. Every other word was "bitch" and the the dialouge was almost to much on the comedy side.
The rest of it was top-notch, I loved the anime sequence.
Old 10-11-03, 10:35 AM

As much as my expectations were insanely unrealistic for this...

it was better.

A lot of the advance reviews talked about the weightless, overly popcorn-y nature of it. I wonder if they saw the same movie. The scene where Uma woke up was gutwrenchingly sad. Even if this takes place in a "movie" world, it's a world where people hurt and ache and feel. The whole "It's a mindless thrill ride" argument strikes me as a bullshit way to feel superior to the whole thing - the movie is as resonant and thrilling as anything QT has ever made, and if Vol. 2 is as good, it should easily find a way into my all-time top 10.
Old 10-11-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the point of the Vivica Fox sequence was to quickly establish that Uma's character was a hard-fighting badass who is on the revenge quest from hell, and that she was going to show no mercy to her victims. Walking out and leaving the little girl standing over her mother's dead body was pretty cold. That's all we needed to know about the plot and the Vivica Fox sequence establishes it all fairly succinctly.
Old 10-11-03, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gcomeau
(never thought i'd hear Zamphir in this flick..or any flick)
He's featured prominantly in Picnic at Hanging Rock. Zamphir RULES!!!
Old 10-11-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mookyman
A lot of the advance reviews talked about the weightless, overly popcorn-y nature of it. I wonder if they saw the same movie. The scene where Uma woke up was gutwrenchingly sad. Even if this takes place in a "movie" world, it's a world where people hurt and ache and feel.
Agreed. Actually from the point where she wakes up until she struggles herself into Buck's car had that same feel. There was genuine pain and danger. After that the hard part was over and she slips into full-on badass mode... but before that it was very powerful. I can't believe how much I liked Uma in this film.

Mordred
Old 10-11-03, 12:04 PM
Banned

saw it last night....awesome movie and soundtrack.

speaking of the soundtrack, does anyone know the name of the song playing in the snow fight scene between uma and lucy liu?
Old 10-11-03, 12:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

KILL BILL vol 1 is now my favorite movie of all time.

Seeing stuff like this is why I love going to the movies and why i'm going to film school next year.

I LOVED IT WITH A PASSION.

my only minor quibble was the black and white. the blood really did look like water, and it took me out of the picture. i wanted to see the red blood dammit!

I usually love black and white, but it just didn't work here.

Uma should get an oscar nod. I couldn't belive how great she fit this role.

I think i'm seeing it again tonight.
Old 10-11-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,406 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally posted by MACD23
saw it last night....awesome movie and soundtrack.

speaking of the soundtrack, does anyone know the name of the song playing in the snow fight scene between uma and lucy liu?
"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" performed by Santa Esmeralda. I'm loving this track on the soundtrack CD, the whole song runs over 10 minutes long.
Old 10-11-03, 12:26 PM
Banned

thanks alot cultshock!
Old 10-11-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im all for lots of blood in a flick... but it was more than a little dumb how sophie gets her arm lopped off at the shoulder... rolls around on the ground for ATLEAST 20 minutes... takes a car ride... gets rolled down a hill... and at some point after that she gets medical attention. Its safe to say that she would have bled out in just a few minutes. I know this stuffs supposed to be over the top, and characters suck up way more damage than people in real life, but come ON... show the chick cauterizing her own wound with a lighter or SOMETHING.

j
Old 10-11-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe Vivica Fox's character will have more to her in part two. If you look closely, at the beginning of the movie
Spoiler:
right after Uma kills her and goes out to her truck, she crosses her name off the list. At the top of the list is Lucy Liu's character, and she's already dead and crossed off the list at this point.
Old 10-11-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally posted by Nosebleed
Maybe Vivica Fox's character will have more to her in part two. If you look closely, at the beginning of the movie
Spoiler:
right after Uma kills her and goes out to her truck, she crosses her name off the list. At the top of the list is Lucy Liu's character, and she's already dead and crossed off the list at this point.
That was actually a complaint by some critics
Spoiler:
they tell you O-Ren Ishii is dead at the beginning of the movie, so basically the movie is one big flashback, but it doesn't seem that way.

Vivica also said
Spoiler:
She'd be in the 2nd movie, but it's all flashback... which means she'll prolly be in a chapter or two.
Old 10-11-03, 01:17 PM

Awesome movie, but did anyone get distracted from all the " T" that were random inserted? Usually, in a movie, studios do that once .This movie had about 6 or 7 .

O O O
-- O
-- O

Last edited by Catch 21; 10-11-03 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-11-03, 01:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
That was actually a complaint by some critics
Spoiler:
they tell you O-Ren Ishii is dead at the beginning of the movie, so basically the movie is one big flashback, but it doesn't seem that way.
I hope those critics haven't seen Pulp Fiction. They'd have a heart attack!
Old 10-11-03, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by gmal2003
There isnt one fictional movie ever made that covers all bases as regards reality. If you find an incident as minor as the hospital scene to be a problem, you shouldnt have watched this film. Especially considering some of the other feats accomplished by Uma. Not to bash anyone but movies are meant to have various levels of escapism, especially this one.
I'm glad this movie doesn't get into the cliche of "getting cops involved". Imagine how boring it is to have cops showed up everytime something spectacularly illegal happens (especially during the House of Blue Leaves massacre). I'm pretty sure we won't see any cops either in Vol. 2. The Sherrif from From Dusk Till Dawn doesn't count
Old 10-11-03, 01:46 PM

MOST ENTERTAINING MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN! I've already seen it twice and i think i'm gonna go again today! The first showing, 3 guys walked out after the O-ren in council scene. I cannot believe this movie. I was getting a little worried it could not possibly meet my expectations because of how much i had built it up , but whoa baby it did! This movie and uma kicked my ass and has one of the best if not the best fight scene i've ever seen! And the way it is written has tarantino written all over it which is a great thing!
Old 10-11-03, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Catch 21
Awesome movie, but did anyone get distracted from all the " T" that were random inserted? Usually, in a movie studios do that once This movie had about 6 or 7 .

O O O
-- O
-- O
This topic really deserves it's own thread. There weren't 6 or 7 there were literally DOZENS. They were so god damn distracting that I'm furious. Worst of all there were several during the Black and White portions where these big colored dots stand out in even greater contrast.

The studios have KILLED the theatrical experience. We all know multiplexes suck, but now you can avoid them by paying extra at a "premium theater" like Arclight Hollywood. Problem is, even with their spectacular new projectors and state of the art sound, the print is DESTROYED. Ruined in advance by the studio. So even if you pay for a premium presentation you get a damaged print.
Old 10-11-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts
Hey, what if
Spoiler:
Vernita's child is The Bride's daughter?

I've seen it twice already and it just keeps getting better and better. Best movie-going experience I've had in years.

Oh BTW, I hope that the stateside exposure of Chiaki Kuriyama (GoGo) creates the Region 1 debut of Battle Royale!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 10-11-03 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-11-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just took in the matinee hoping it would be okay. My FAVORITE movie of the year. Maybe the new millenium. Uma Thurman is my HERO!!!
Old 10-11-03, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
Hey, what if
Spoiler:
Vernita's child is The Bride's daughter?

Spoiler:
Well, since we already know that Bill is the father, Carradine would have to be acting in blackface for this to be possible.
Old 10-11-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally posted by Bust
Spoiler:
Well, since we already know that Bill is the father, Carradine would have to be acting in blackface for this to be possible.

Wonder what Spike Lee would have to say about that given his past with QT?
Old 10-11-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Catch 21
Awesome movie, but did anyone get distracted from all the " T" that were random inserted? Usually, in a movie, studios do that once .This movie had about 6 or 7 .

O O O
-- O
-- O
What do you mean? Was this in the theatrical release?

I assume its some kind of copyright watermark, but now I'm curious.
Old 10-11-03, 03:57 PM

what do you mean by "t"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.