Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill To Be Released in 2 PARTS - RIP OFF!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill To Be Released in 2 PARTS - RIP OFF!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Looks like I'll be skipping it in the theaters, because of this lame marketing stunt - which is all it is (imagine the possibility of twice the revenue for the same movie).

I'll just wait for the dvd that'll compile both parts - I've waited this long for a new Tarantino - a few more months won't really matter.

That's $18 I'll save, which will go towards the dvd purchase, which I'm sure will be even less than that.

Last edited by slop101; 07-16-03 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Kill Bill parts 1 and whatever aren't great, QT can kiss his 'uber-cool' keister bye-bye for a good long while. Miramax's tactics in marketing, producing and releasing movies seem to grow more stinky by the month.
Old 07-16-03, 01:26 PM

I'll save my money for The Last Samurai.
Old 07-16-03, 04:30 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Harvey Wein$tein.
Old 07-16-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I question the logic of this whole thing, but I'm gonna see it no matter how they release it. I like the script and love the trailer. Nobody makes good ol' exploitation films anymore like they used to, and I miss them (only wish I had the chance to see this at an old rundown Deuce grindhouse for the proper atmosphere but they're gone)
Old 07-16-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by grunter
This isn't an attempt to screw anyone. It's an attempt to keep as much of the original material on the screen as possible without having to cut large chunks of the film to shreds.
Uh... wrong. It's totally another attempt by Miramax to f*** with moviegoers. I've never seen a company less interested in artistry and more interested in the bottom line.

What, release a 3-hour movie? And risk BO because of reduced number of screenings per day?!? Couldn't we just chop the movie in half and make people pay twice as much to see it?!? *****, we invested $55 million dollars in it!!!! We should get 3 or 4 movies for that price!!!!!!!! OH, and did I mention that we can screw the actors out of asking for substantial pay increases for the "sequel" if the first one is a hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll wait for the DVD(s).
Old 07-16-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First off, I'm a huge Tarantino fan. Pulp is always my pick when asked what my favorite film is. And I can guarantee that I'll be in line on both opening nights.

That being said, a lot of this s*it pisses me off!!!

Having to pay twice to see one full movie sucks! And the fact that the studios don't think we (as audiences) can sit through a 3 hour film any more is absolute crap. Could you imagine if they pulled this garbage with Scarface or one of the Godfathers...

The thing I'm most afraid of is the fact that all these broken-up movies, like The Matrix and Lord Of The Rings, are very successful and the studios are seeing that they are. So we start getting more and more of these types of money-making ploys. Granted LOTR and The Matrix series were always intended to be trilogies, but they started opening up the door for producers to start breaking up full movies like Kill Bill. And the phrase about how the film's told in "chapters," I don't buy either... All Tarantino films are told in chapters!!! Even the original scripts for Natural Born Killers, True Romance & From Dusk Till Dawn were told in chapters... Try again.

Anyway enough bitching, I still can't wait to see Kill Bill!
Old 07-16-03, 07:14 PM

The Good, Bad and the Ugly of the future dvd release of Kill Bill

The Good (what we wish would happen): The movie is released as a two dvd set. One disc contains the entire, uncut version of the movie with best possible A/V along with Tarantino commentary (we can wish can't we?). the second disc contains extras ala Jackie Brown.

The Bad (what may happen): The movie is released as two seperate dvd's, released a few months apart.

The Ugly (what WILL happen): The movie is first released as two seperate dvd's, again released a few months apart. Then, when everyone's purchased them, they decide to release the Kill Bill: Killer Edition containing both parts of the film, new extras, better A/V, and a special "Limited" number of putrid looking dvd cases.
Old 07-16-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I'm not upset that I might have to pay for this movie twice. I'm simply frustrated by the fact that I'll have to put myself into the all too familiar "waiting" mode again.

But yeah, if the product is good, I don't mind coughing up the cash.
Old 07-16-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Somebody ought to put a bullet in Harvey Wein$tein's head for this decision.

Just joking, but that's the impression some would get from this board.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 07-16-03 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Corvin
Personally, I'm not upset that I might have to pay for this movie twice. I'm simply frustrated by the fact that I'll have to put myself into the all too familiar "waiting" mode again.

But yeah, if the product is good, I don't mind coughing up the cash.
Same here. I have been anticipating this film for a good while and will see it regardless. I'm just worried about how long I will be waiting for "part 2", and how they will handle the dvd release(s).
Old 07-16-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I will just watch part 2 hehehehe.
Old 07-16-03, 11:07 PM
Banned

QT's aiming not at just producing some bottom-of-the-barrel, mainstream pap
I think there's an anti-fur protest at 3 pm tomorrow.

Anyway, I think I'm just upset at how I have to theater hop into this movie twice.
Old 07-16-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Wow I could not care less that this movie is being split. One 3 hour 20 minute movie or two 1 hour 40 minute movie, who f'in cares? As long as I enjoy myself while watching, and the movie stays true to Tarantino's vision than I will fork over the dollars.
Old 07-17-03, 07:45 AM

It ain't April fool unfortunatly.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3073911.stm

No way I'll go twice to the theatre for this one.
The first thing that come to mind when you see this is a quote from Shannen Doherty in J&SBSB.

I guess QT got the big head now as we reached the limit between art and bu$in€$$.
Old 07-17-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Here's a quote from the above article, sure to piss people off even more:

"Screen Daily said Tarantino and Miramax were working on localised Asian versions of the films, which would be longer and show more graphic violence. "

You gotta be kidding me...
Old 07-17-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Over-budget, big delays, and now this. Sounds like nothing more than a stunt to try recoup some of the millions this thing went over budget. What happened to the Tarantino who made Reservoir Dogs on a shoestring, and made it work perfectly?
Old 07-17-03, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by slop101
Here's a quote from the above article, sure to piss people off even more:

"Screen Daily said Tarantino and Miramax were working on localised Asian versions of the films, which would be longer and show more graphic violence. "

You gotta be kidding me...
Just like a Ford Focus you've got a different version per Continent...

For sure Miramax is taking the Michael.
Old 07-17-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
As long as the story is good and they don't end the first part at a retarded spot in the movie, I will be fine w/ this decision. But if they end it at a bad spot - that will really put a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 07-17-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe this is the only way to get the movie an R rating
Old 07-17-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Maybe this is the only way to get the movie an R rating
This sounds like a card that would have been played had it been a real option/excuse. So I'm going to take it as a negative.
Old 07-17-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo
I'm a big Tarantino fan, but I wont fall for that 2-part crap when one single movie would do just fine. leave it a single movie and I'm there - make it a two-parter and I'll wait for the DVD!
Exactly!
Old 07-17-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a Tarantino fan in the highest of degree's, but I can't agree with this. Not without knowing how long I am waiting for the second installment and how the DVD (DVD's ?) release will be handled.

Grrr!
Old 07-17-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by LivingINClip
I'm a Tarantino fan in the highest of degree's, but I can't agree with this. Not without knowing how long I am waiting for the second installment and how the DVD (DVD's ?) release will be handled.

Grrr!
Agreed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.