Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill To Be Released in 2 PARTS - RIP OFF!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 02:22 AM
dhm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kill Bill - Part One and Part Two?

Tarantino's Double Dose of 'Kill Bill'?

Quentin Tarantino's new movie Kill Bill is so long, the filmmaker now plans to turn it into two separate films. The film, starring Uma Thurman, Daryl Hannah, Vivica A. Fox and Lucy Liu, was originally scheduled to hit American cinemas screens in October, and now it is expected that the second part will be released just weeks later. David Carradine, who stars in the drama says, "Shooting has been going on so long - with Quentin continuing to write scenes, that plans are afoot to turn Kill Bill into two 90-minute features that would be released within five weeks of each other. I probably shouldn't be saying this, but what the hell - they can't fire me." He adds, "It's a brilliant marketing plan. The first film would end with a cliffhanger, so that everyone would want to see the second half." Carradine, who landed his role in the flick after Warren Beatty dropped out, is expecting to go before cameras again to shoot extra scenes for the movies.
Old 02-25-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOAH.
Old 02-25-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ugh, I hate this idea....

Instead of giving us a three hour movie, we now have to pay twice as much to see 2 shorter films.

If this becomes a trend, I'll just wait for the dvds.....
Old 02-25-03, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Wait for the dvd? Is that really a solution? I mean if it's two films on screen whats the say they wont put it on two seperate disc?
Old 02-25-03, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread should be closed so that this rumor doesn't spread.

This has been officially debunked as false on AICN. They contacted Miramax and they shot down the rumor. It's not happening.
Old 02-25-03, 08:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Hmmm...not sure how this will pan out.
Old 02-25-03, 09:06 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

"APPARENTLY and OFFICIALLY the rumor is untrue. KILL BILL will be ONE film released in October 2003. Quentin has addend scenes and Sally Menke is currently editing it all together. SO THERE YA GO, That's Official!!!"
~from Aint it cool news
...already a dead rumor.
Old 02-25-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Funny that Aint It Cool News Actually debunks a rumor. Usually they are the ones creating them.
Old 02-25-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Closing rumor.
Old 07-15-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From NYTimes - What a Rip off.

Miramax Films will take the unusual and potentially risky move of releasing "Kill Bill," the much-anticipated Quentin Tarantino martial arts action-adventure film, as two movies, the first to open in the fall. Miramax will in effect be taking a three-hour film with a 200-page script and turning it into a serial.

Harvey Weinstein, a co-founder of Miramax, which is financing the film, said in an interview on Monday that the first installment would be in theaters on Oct. 10. The second release date is in still being negotiated, but it could be two to six months later, he said.

To many in Hollywood, the decision will come as a surprise. Mr. Weinstein, who in Hollywood is known as "Harvey Scissorhands," after the title character in the movie "Edward Scissorhands," has a reputation for forcing directors to cut both costs and the lengths of their movies. Mr. Tarantino spent 155 days shooting the film, well more than planned and longer than usual for most films.

But Mr. Weinstein said Mr. Tarantino was something of a special case. The popularity of his violent yet original 1994 film, "Pulp Fiction," helped put Miramax on the map and generated an abundance of cash to help the studio bankroll other movies.

"Miramax is the house Quentin Tarantino built," Mr. Weinstein said. And because of this director's stature he was granted "carte blanche," Mr. Weinstein added.

"Kill Bill'` is Mr. Tarantino's first foray into action filmmaking. His limited body of work also includes the equally violent yet critically praised "Reservoir Dogs."

When Mr. Tarantino first approached Mr. Weinstein about doing "Kill Bill" several years ago, it was with the condition that he be allowed to film the whole 200-page script that he had written. When Mr. Weinstein visited the set in its last month of shooting late last year, Mr. Tarantino said in a statement, Mr. Weinstein brought up the idea of splitting it in two.

No decision was made at the time although Mr. Tarantino shot two opening-credit sequences, he said. Mr. Weinstein said it was not until he visited Los Angeles three weeks ago, when Mr. Tarantino showed him more than an hour and a half of the film, that the two decided on the two-film approach.

"Kill Bill" is the story, told in chapters, of the world's deadliest female assassin, who survives being shot on her wedding day and, after five years in a coma, seeks revenge on the man who tried to kill her. The film's samurai-style fight sequences were filmed largely in China and take place in everything from a nightclub to a snow-covered garden to a suburban home.

"There were no obstacles involved in splitting up `Kill Bill' at all because I've always designed the movie, thought about the film, as malleable in any number of versions," Mr. Tarantino said in his statement. That includes different versions for Asia, America and Europe.

The serial approach to "Kill Bill" has parallels to the making of the second and third installments of the "Matrix" series and "The Lord of The Rings" trilogy, which were filmed as one story but divided into parts and have been released on a staggered schedule. But those films were conceived as multipart releases; "Kill Bill" was not.

Despite the success of the "Matrix" and the "Lord of the Ring" franchises, Miramax's decision carries risks, given the box-office figures for a number of sequels, prequels and serials. Several have been disappointments this summer, including "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle," which received heavy publicity and generally favorable reviews as an enjoyable romp but which still failed to attract crowds. The serial films that have done well at the box office, like the "Matrix" series, have had built-in audiences already interested in the story. "Kill Bill," on the other hand, is from Mr. Tarantino's original screenplay.

Mitigating some of the risk is the movie's price tag, which Mr. Weinstein estimated at more than $55 million, not including marketing costs: less than what many blockbusters cost because many of the actors worked for union-scale wages and because production costs in China are lower than in the United States.

What Miramax and Mr. Tarantino are betting on is that the director's avid fan base and the pent-up interest in "Kill Bill" — which has taken almost a decade to make and is Mr. Tarantino's fifth movie — will pack theaters not once, but twice. Still Mr. Weinstein said he was worried about overselling this film, calling it "just a fun B-movie."

The question is: Fun for whom? "Kill Bill," not unlike other films that Mr. Tarantino has made, is intensely violent. That will limit the people who can see it, particularly the younger action-film audience that studios covet. In one spectacular fight in the "House of Blue Leaves" nightclub, nearly 100 people are killed, according to one person who worked on the set in China. Much has been made of the notion that Mr. Tarantino wanted the blood to be a particularly vibrant red.

"Tarantino is something of an innovator who takes audiences into different realms," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations, a Los Angeles company that analyzes box-office returns.

Miramax has yet to work out the actors' salaries for the two movies, Mr. Weinstein said. The studio is renegotiating contracts, including one for Uma Thurman, who stars as the bride who is shot, and another for Lucy Liu, who plays a member of Bill's hit squad.

Two Hollywood executives familiar with the contracts said the two actresses would receive a percentage of the box-office revenue. Because the contracts were originally based on only one movie, they will have to be changed to reflect the two-part scheme, the executives said. Stars' salary demands can often derail a movie, but Mr. Weinstein expressed confidence that a new agreement would be reached since the actors will not have to shoot new scenes.
Old 07-15-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Kill Bill To Be Released in 2 PARTS - RIP OFF!!

Originally posted by chanster
"Kill Bill'` is Mr. Tarantino's first foray into action filmmaking.
Yeah, it's nice to see him taking a break from all the romantic comedies.

Has the author of this article ever seen a Quentin Tarantino movie? From Dusk Till Dawn, Desperado, Pulp Fiction - Reservoir Dogs - these weren't action movies?

- David Stein
Old 07-15-03, 07:08 PM
Banned

That's a ripoff. The script wasn't even good.
Old 07-15-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I smell this backfiring. I was really looking forward to KB, and still have high hopes, but this doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old 07-15-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Re: Kill Bill To Be Released in 2 PARTS - RIP OFF!!

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Has the author of this article ever seen a Quentin Tarantino movie? Desperado
The author probably confused it with Spy Kids
Desperado was actually Robert Rodriguez' sequel to El Mariachi.

I guess if Quentin said ok, it's ok. It's not like Weinstein ****ed him over like Scorsese and GONY. Tho I have to question why Tarantino would want to split it up now, knowing that he whole-heartedly wanted to film the script as is from the beginning.
Old 07-15-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This sucks. I just don't see the logic in this other than their efforts to make more money.

But complaining, my post included, is really pointless. Every single person here & just about everywhere that is whining about this decision, will all go & see the movie regardless.
Old 07-15-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Potential disaster.

If the movie isn't good, then they are, in effect, giving viewers the opportunity to walk out halfway through and get half of their money back.

It also seems kind of dumb to cut a three hour movie into to halves. Three hour movies aren't that uncommon these days -- and it certainly didn't stop Fellowship of the Ring from being a hit.

It also seems like a really bad artistic choice. Lord of the Rings was designed to be broken up into three parts. All indicators point to Kill Bill being a "B-Movie." It just sounds like it was not designed to be broken into two pieces like that.

I wonder how they'll handle the DVD release. A three hour film could fit on one disc, or be easily split up over a two-disc set.
Old 07-15-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't mind. i'd rather have the whole movie instead of a cut-for-time film. if that means going twice, so be it.
Old 07-15-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Tarantino, and I'll be there no matter what!
Old 07-15-03, 07:52 PM

At IMDB.com, in the trivia section for this film, it says this idea was shelved. Guess they need to update that page.

The music that is played during the trailer - anyone know who is the artist? I think I've heard it before.

edit: artist found. www.hotei.com

Last edited by Jason1973; 07-15-03 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 07:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Might not be a bad idea. Will like to see what comes of it.
Old 07-15-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey they split the Matrix sequel into 2 movies but most people around here jerked themselves off at the mere thought of it. The only difference here is that they're not "pretending" it's really 2 movies and telling you up front.
Old 07-15-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarantino
I love Tarantino, and I'll be there no matter what!
Who'd've thunk it?
Old 07-15-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see that as a "no lose" situation for Miramax. Think about it...if they get your $8 for the first half and you don't come back to see part 2, they still have the same $8 they would have gotten from you for a one parter. If you DO come back, they've doubled their take.

The number of daily showings will double, so they'll have more potential box office that way.

The number of reels should be the same for a one or two parter, so there are no added print costs.

They can double dip us again on the DVD release (actually, probably triple dip with a part one release before part two hits the theaters, then a part two DVD, then a combo box set).

The only additional fees to them will be promoting the release of part two.

Marketing genius, but sucks for the fan.
Old 07-15-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just the other day I was mentioning to my manager that they should have done this with the TWO HOURS AND FOTY MINUTES Bad Boys II. Half the runtime means it can be played more often during a day, aswell. Also you'd be surprised how wary people are of long films - I work at a movie theater, and it's harder for the longer films to carry their weight without the stigma of something like The Lord Of The Rings.

Originally posted by Tarantino
I love Tarantino
Get out of town!
Old 07-15-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely a risk. I just don't see a huge mainstream market for this flick....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.