Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

James Stewart

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dimension X
Say, buddy... You tryin' to horn in on my racket or somethin'?
Just picking up the slack
Old 08-20-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw Rear Window and I now have a new favorite Hitchcock film and a new favorite Stewart film.
Old 08-21-02, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by LBPound
Saw Rear Window and I now have a new favorite Hitchcock film and a new favorite Stewart film.

I'm glad to hear the news LBPound
Old 08-28-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Bumped to say that The Spirit of St. Louis (1957) will be airing on TCM Thursday morning (Aug. 29) at 8:00 AM EST. Yes, it will be letterboxed.
Old 08-28-02, 09:36 AM

Bumped to say that The Spirit of St. Louis (1957) will be airing on TCM Thursday morning (Aug. 29) at 8:00 AM EST. Yes, it will be letterboxed.
It's on my list of movies to tape I'm sure you'll be using your DVD recorder for this one
Old 08-28-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Vampyr
It's on my list of movies to tape I'm sure you'll be using your DVD recorder for this one
Definitely.

I'm going to come into work late so I can record The Long Voyage Home (1940) also.
Old 08-28-02, 10:29 AM

Definitely.

I'm going to come into work late so I can record The Long Voyage Home (1940) also.

One of those great Wayne movies which is strangely not that well known.
Old 08-28-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"great (John) Wayne movies" Isn't that redundant?
Old 08-28-02, 10:58 AM

"great (John) Wayne movies" Isn't that redundant?
Yup! But it both sounds and reads real good

*******Try this*******
Old 01-10-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jimmy Stewart fans might want to check out AMC (note this is AMC not TCM) tomorrow (Saturday) morning for a showing of his Western/Comedy Destry Rides Again (1939). The film is not yet available on DVD. I know AMC floods their films with commercials but until the next TCM airing, maybe this can suffice. I have no real recollection of the film so I am looking forward to checking it out.

Saturday, January 11 from 6:30am - 8:30am (EST)
Channel: AMC (American Movies Classics)
Destry Rides Again (1939)

Following is the IMDb.com link for Destry Rides Again:
Destry Rides Again (1939) starring Jimmy Stewart at IMDb.com
Old 01-10-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AMC?

I'm glad I have an old VHS copy of this one.

Great movie!
Old 01-10-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey Dimension X, nice to see you again! A much-belated Happy New Years to you, I hope this year brings you more happiness and good fortune than last. I certainly wish the same to all the rest of you folks (members (won't name names for fear of omitting someone) and lurkers) here at DVDTalk as well.

AMC?
Agreed, AMC is sorta low on the totem-pole as far as movie viewing options goes; their new format is awful. The films just kind of start, no build-up or anything (we won't even discuss the number of commercials and their placement). I much prefer the way TCM has nice gaps between their films and the nice intros (look for the silver lining, etc.). But until TCM gets around to showing it (not on their schedule as of now), I'll just grin and bear it.

EDITED TO ADD: The following info. regarding The Tin Star is no longer applicable, I checked the A&E schedule in order to get the exact airtime for The Tin Star so I could post it, but it seems The Tin Star has just been yanked (it was there just yesterday) from the schedule and replaced by The Lost Battalion (2001) which is a pretty good WWI movie starring Rick "don't call me Ricky" Shroeder. Hopefully The Tin Star will receive a showing in the coming weeks.

For any Western fans reading this, A&E Channel is showing The Tin Star (1957) starring Anthony Perkins, Henry Fonda, and directed by Anthony Mann (he directed about a half-dozen Westerns starring Jimmy Stewart) sometime this coming Tuesday. The Tin Star is not yet available on DVD. It's a pretty good High-Noonish Western and certainly worth a look. Hmmm, maybe I should have posted this stuff in that old Westerns thread.........

The Tin Star at IMDb.com

Last edited by flixtime; 01-10-03 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-10-03, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info flixtime - But.....AMC? Well.....I guess they'll wait until the middle of the fight scene to put on a commercial

BTW: I sent an e-mail to AMC in response to their "televised" request for comments about the "New AMC." Well, if you realize they completely ignored my most critical comments.......Here's what was sent back to me:

Dear AMC Viewer:

Thank you for contacting AMC. Our viewers are very important
to us.
Please be assured that your opinions are appreciated
and noted.

As we face pressure from rapidly rising costs, the introduction
of commercials has become a necessary reality in order to
maintain and expand AMC's superb library of programming. By
adding advertising we are able to provide new and better movies
and original programming to our viewers. We've tried to place
the commercial breaks so there's as little disruption of the
movies as possible.
We hope you will understand and continue
to enjoy AMC.

If you would like more information about programming, scheduling
and insights into the movies we love please visit us on the web
at amctv.com.

AMC reviews all comments and suggestions so that our programming
reflects our viewer's requests.
Your input is a valuable tool
in helping us to make AMC even better.

Sincerely,

AMC Viewer Services

* The bold print is my own.

They forgot to respond to my complaint about the quality of the movies they play being diminished by more modern movies, which are hardly classics in any age. In addition, they ignored the fact that I told them I no longer watch AMC "Because of the changes" and thus only watch TCM for great classic movies. Looking at it, the letter may be a conglomeration of various form letters. It looks too robotic to have been personally written by any one person in response to just my complaint.

One other thing ~ I mentioned it before but will do so again. A cousin of mine works for them in a "non-programming" but management role. She said to me on more than one occasion that even worse changes are planned in the future! What they exactly are I don't know. She just had a new baby and is a little to busy to ask

If you ask me the AMC "Motto" should be: "We show you as many edited Pan & Scan movies as we can between commercials."

Anyway......Keep the posts coming flixtime. This one gave me a chance to vent on the "improved" AMC. Maybe someone who never saw the great movies you listed will have a chance to see part of them for the first time, after reading your post
Old 01-10-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

VAMPYR!

Long time, no see my friend. You've been keeping a very low profile lately (me too). I've missed your contributions to the forum. Anyway........Happy New Year to you! I hope it goes without saying that if I had named names in my earlier post, yours certainly would have been chief among them. Hmm, it goes without saying, but I said it anyway...........

We've tried to place the commercial breaks so there's as little disruption of the movies as possible.
That's a joke right. Their commercials are right in the middle of climactic scenes in the film.

A cousin of mine works for them in a "non-programming" but management role. She said to me on more than one occasion that even worse changes are planned in the future!
"even worse".........is that really possible. I guess I'll have to stay tuned just to see how bad things get.

Anyway......Keep the posts coming flixtime. This one gave me a chance to vent on the "improved" AMC.
Glad to be of service.

Stuck in New York because Mom is crazy
Maybe Mom is trying to spare you the torture of having to watch the Arizona Cardinals every Sunday.

Last edited by flixtime; 01-10-03 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-10-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

new and better movies

Must be cloudy in NY - Vampyr's up and around before sunset.

flixtime - a belated Happy New Year back at ya!

Enjoy the commercials.

Last edited by Dimension X; 01-10-03 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-10-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance is great because it stars both James Stewart and John Wayne so it is it fairly obvious to determine which one of the two can actually act.
Old 01-10-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I recently saw The Shop Around The Corner (1940). What a great film! It's funny, genuinely romantic, and very touching. And it features yet another top-notched James Stewart performance.

(It was also remade a couple of time, most recently as You've Got Mail, which had its moments but can't hold a candle to the original.)

Old 01-10-03, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by dhmac
I recently saw The Shop Around The Corner (1940). What a great film! It's funny, genuinely romantic, and very touching. And it features yet another top-notched James Stewart performance.

(It was also remade a couple of time, most recently as You've Got Mail, which had its moments but can't hold a candle to the original.)

If you didn't see it on DVD I advise you buy it....Great disc

Great to hear that you loved the film

flixtime ~ Great to hear from you too.....Happy New Year!

Oh.....No.......Mom's just nuts!

Dimension X ~ I have no idea what it's like outside I didn't even look out the window today However, I'm actually considering a short trip to Circuit City I figure I should get out for a few minutes every two weeks or so anyway Later buddy.......I'm a little short on time at the moment
Old 01-11-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: James Stewart

Originally posted by Groucho
How about Bell, Book, and Candle? This film came out the same year as Vertigo, had the same co-star (Kim Novak), and also had the great Jack Lemmon in a supporting role. Despite all that it managed to stink to high heaven.
Stink? Well to each his own...I love this movie. For those who haven't seen it you might consider renting it. It's a bittersweet romantic comedy about two witches and a morlock. One of the two witches, (Kim Novak) wants to experience love and uses her powers to capture the object of her desires, a mortal book editor played by James Stewart. Set at Christmas time in NYC, BB&C makes a great holiday movie.
Old 01-12-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a Wonderful Life
Glenn Miller Story
Man from Laramie
Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation
Rear Window
Winchester '73
Spirit of St Louis
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
Harvey
Old 01-12-03, 04:43 PM

It's a bittersweet romantic comedy about two witches and a morlock.
Morlock=ugly hairy creatures who live underground in Time Machine or make DVD decisions at Miramax

Warlock=Male witch, such as Jack Lemmon in Bell, Book, and Candle
Old 01-12-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joelgee
Morlock=ugly hairy creatures who live underground in Time Machine or make DVD decisions at Miramax
Oops, brain spaz; you are so right.