Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

James Stewart

Old 06-03-02, 08:40 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James Stewart

What are your top 10 James Stewart movies? For me this is extremely difficult as he and Cary Grant are my favorite male actors of all-time. I really love every role he played and every film he was in.

No order:
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The (1962)
Man from Laramie, The (1955)
Rear Window (1954)
Harvey (1950)
Winchester '73 (1950)
Rope (1948)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Philadelphia Story, The (1940)
Destry Rides Again (1939)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

Sooooooo many great movies are not on this list!!!

Old 06-03-02, 08:57 PM
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pending a valid e-mail address
Posts: 419
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vertigo, one of the greatest movies ever.
Old 06-03-02, 09:19 PM
  #3  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,273
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My top 10:

Winchester '73
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
How the West Was Won
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
It's A Wonderful Life
Vertigo
The Spirit of St. Louis
The Shootist
Rope
The FBI Story
Old 06-04-02, 09:31 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always believed Rope to be one of the most underrated movies of the genre..........Stewart was just perfect in this role......Nothing surprising there.
Old 06-04-02, 09:33 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,785
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: James Stewart

Originally posted by Vampyr
I really love every role he played and every film he was in.
I'm guessing you've never seen Fools' Parade (1971). I've talked to other Jimmy Stewart fans, and they agree that he only made one bad movie, Fools' Parade. I haven't seen it in a long time, so maybe it's not as bad as I remember. Anyway, I always use it as the exception that proves the rule that all Jimmy Stewart movies are great.

Here are my current ten favorites:

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
The Shootist (1976)
Destry Rides Again (1939)
Broken Arrow (1950)
The Naked Spur (1953)
Winchester '73 (1950)
Rear Window (1954)
Vertigo (1958)
Old 06-04-02, 09:41 AM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL,
Posts: 6,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Jimmy, as a former USAF memeber, I'm proud to call him Gen James Stewart!

I would also venture to say he's like John Wayne, any film he is in is a pleasure to watch.

Personal favorites include:

HARVEY
THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALLANCE
THE SHOOTIST
PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
STATEGIC AIR COMMAND
Old 06-04-02, 10:10 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: James Stewart

Originally posted by Dimension X


I'm guessing you've never seen Fools' Parade (1971). I've talked to other Jimmy Stewart fans, and they agree that he only made one bad movie, Fools' Parade. I haven't seen it in a long time, so maybe it's not as bad as I remember. Anyway, I always use it as the exception that proves the rule that all Jimmy Stewart movies are great.

Here are my current ten favorites:

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
The Shootist (1976)
Destry Rides Again (1939)
Broken Arrow (1950)
The Naked Spur (1953)
Winchester '73 (1950)
Rear Window (1954)
Vertigo (1958)

You know........If I've ever seen it (Fools' Parade (1971)) I don't remember it at all That said, I'd have to watch it before I say it's bad or anything else.


Originally posted by Scot1458
I love Jimmy, as a former USAF memeber, I'm proud to call him Gen James Stewart!

I would also venture to say he's like John Wayne, any film he is in is a pleasure to watch.

Personal favorites include:

HARVEY
THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALLANCE
THE SHOOTIST
PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
STATEGIC AIR COMMAND

I've always considered James Stewart the only Hollywood star whose real life was just as heroic as the roles he played. As much as I love John Wayne, Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, etc... It's only Stewart who actually was in real life what he was in the movies. Jimmy was a playboy before he was married (without scandal), a poet, a devoted family man, funny, witty and an extremely brave patriot..............The man who flew strategic bombers in Strategic Air Command, lead dangerous bombing missions over Nazi Germany during WWII as a Wing Commander. Who in Hollywood has this resume? Only James Stewart (Brigadier General) ~~~~ What a wonderful life!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-02, 12:46 PM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL,
Posts: 6,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always considered James Stewart the only Hollywood star whose real life was just as heroic as the roles he played. As much as I love John Wayne, Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, etc... It's only Stewart who actually was in real life what he was in the movies. Jimmy was a playboy before he was married (without scandal), a poet, a devoted family man, funny, witty and an extremely brave patriot..............The man who flew strategic bombers in Strategic Air Command, lead dangerous bombing missions over Nazi Germany during WWII as a Wing Commander. Who in Hollywood has this resume? Only James Stewart (Brigadier General) ~~~~ What a wonderful life!!!!!!!!

Yep, one of the few Hollywood actors then or today, that was every bit of a man as he portrayed on screen.
Old 06-04-02, 01:05 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy Stewart is, without a doubt, my favorite actor.
Old 06-04-02, 05:30 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The member formally known as Guitar_God
Posts: 1,240
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah Jimmy Stewart is great indeed.

I only saw a few films of his. Not much.

Here's the only ones I saw and I enjoyed them all:

Rear Window
Vertigo
It's A Wonderful Life
The Man Who Knew Too Much

and that's all.
Old 06-04-02, 05:44 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Posts: 14,804
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of them.

Best actor of the 20th century.
Old 06-04-02, 06:47 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
All of them.

Best actor of the 20th century.
Please allow me to edit your statement to say.......Best actor in motion picture history
Old 06-04-02, 07:38 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,785
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Vampyr


Please allow me to edit your statement to say.......Best actor in motion picture history
You know, Jimmy Stewart also worked on radio and television. TNT played his television series, "Hawkins," every once in awhile many years ago (it was an MGM series). Some of his radio work is readily available. I have the Lux Radio Theatre versions of Destry Rides Again and It's a Wonderful Life.



I highly recommend both to any Jimmy Stewart fan.

I think he also did an audio version of his book of poems (a compilation of amusing poems about his life that he first read on his appearances on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson), as well as some children's records.
Old 06-04-02, 08:34 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 1,310
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's nothing more disturbing than seeing ol' Jimmy done up as a circus clown in The Greatest Show On Earth .
Old 06-04-02, 08:35 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 1,310
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't he in The Philadelphia Story???
Old 06-04-02, 09:53 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by devilpants
Wasn't he in The Philadelphia Story???

Amazing Cast
Cary Grant .... C. K. Dexter Haven
Katharine Hepburn .... Tracy Samantha Lord
James Stewart .... Macaulay (Mike) Connor
Ruth Hussey .... Elizabeth (Liz) Imbrie
John Howard (I) .... George Kittredge
Roland Young .... Uncle Willie
Old 06-04-02, 10:05 PM
  #17  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 21,304
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
He was one of my favorites!

One that hasn't been mentioned that is also good is The Glenn Miller Story
Old 06-04-02, 10:16 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by The Cow
He was one of my favorites!

One that hasn't been mentioned that is also good is The Glenn Miller Story
I remember it well........A very touching ending with June Allyson receiving a letter from him about "The Little Brown Jug".
Old 06-04-02, 10:35 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dark side of Jimmy Stewart.

I like his Anthony Mann and Alfred Hitchcock flicks!

cheers, Tony Block
Old 06-05-02, 11:12 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,785
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
For anyone interested in Jimmy Stewart's radio work, check out this episode of The Six Shooter (a radio show he did in 1953-54), called The Silver Buckle .

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-05-02 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-05-02, 11:22 AM
  #21  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,036
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Re: James Stewart

Originally posted by Dimension X
I've talked to other Jimmy Stewart fans, and they agree that he only made one bad movie, Fools' Parade
How about Bell, Book, and Candle? This film came out the same year as Vertigo, had the same co-star (Kim Novak), and also had the great Jack Lemmon in a supporting role. Despite all that it managed to stink to high heaven.
Old 06-05-02, 12:02 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,785
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Re: Re: James Stewart

Originally posted by Groucho
How about Bell, Book, and Candle? This film came out the same year as Vertigo, had the same co-star (Kim Novak), and also had the great Jack Lemmon in a supporting role. Despite all that it managed to stink to high heaven.
I know the title, know what it's about, know who's in it. Yet, I can't remember the movie. I guess I haven't seen it.

I'll have to get the DVD and see for myself.
Old 06-05-02, 12:37 PM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL,
Posts: 6,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dimension X


You know, Jimmy Stewart also worked on radio and television. TNT played his television series, "Hawkins," every once in awhile many years ago (it was an MGM series). Some of his radio work is readily available. I have the Lux Radio Theatre versions of Destry Rides Again and It's a Wonderful Life.
Look up his many SUSPENSE radio show apperances...just freakin' fantastic.

Bob Hope had some great ones as well.

Jimmy also had a GREAT Western series called THE SIX SHOOTER...there are only a few episodes, but they right up there with Gunsmoke.
Old 06-05-02, 01:07 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,785
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458

Look up his many SUSPENSE radio show apperances...just freakin' fantastic.

Bob Hope had some great ones as well.

Jimmy also had a GREAT Western series called THE SIX SHOOTER...there are only a few episodes, but they right up there with Gunsmoke.
Nice to see another radio fan.

I love Suspense. The best radio show ever has to be "Fugue in C Minor" starring Vincent Price and Ida Lupino. It gives me the creeps every time I listen to it.

There were 40 episodes of The Six Shooter. I put a link to an episode available online in a post earlier today.
Old 06-05-02, 02:16 PM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL,
Posts: 6,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dimension X


Nice to see another radio fan.

I love Suspense. The best radio show ever has to be "Fugue in C Minor" starring Vincent Price and Ida Lupino. It gives me the creeps every time I listen to it.

There were 40 episodes of The Six Shooter. I put a link to an episode available online in a post earlier today.
I didn't catch your name at first...great series! Dimension X and X Minus One are still, to me the best Sci-Fi Radio ever done.


Agreed on the Price story, he was incredible on radio, espeically on Suspense. Another golden great that worked well on radio was Peter Lorre, his voice was made for radio.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.