Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

24 and still at home with mom and dad (PT.2)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st thread

This is hilarious that the thread got up to 10 pages.
I'm immature, act like a teenager, have no priorities just because I will be 25 when I finally leave home?? You guys don't even know me

I'm actually getting a kick out of some of you seem to be mad about my situation.

Yes, I would take my own place any day over bunking with my brother. BUT, the situation is not right and I am not ready (financially) to move out.

What's wrong with that? I just started a good job 2 months ago, so why should I be in such a hurry to be out on my own?

--I don't have much $$ saved
--My g/f is away in school until next april
--My probation at the job is not up for another 9 months
--I don't have any kind of restrictions living at home

Maybe I'm not your typical person. Most do seem to move out at 18 or so. 6 years later and I'm still at home. So???? Yeah, if I would of started this job at 18 I'm sure I would of been out on my own by 20.

Any other gripes about my situation?

1st thread
Old 10-18-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, first I don't remember you saying that you started the job 2 months ago. Second, you said you're saving over $1k per month, but it seem like this have only started for 1-2 months. From the sound of it, your assumption that at this rate, you can get the hybrid engine and then later the house. What kind of job where you have to have a 11-12 months probation?
Old 10-18-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
We never said you don't have your priorities straight because you'll be 25 when you leave home. We said you don't have your priorities straight because you want a car before paying your parents and getting a place yet say you have no money (that right there is a lie).

indeed.
Old 10-18-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having read through (and laughed heartily) at the first thread, there seems to be one big point that you are missing. You were not called all those things due to what you posted above. You were called such things because:

You are 25, living at home. Your parents want you to start paying rent. You are trying to come up with reasons not to. You claim to be about to purchase a new car. These two things in and of themselves are reason enough to show that your priorities are out of whack. If you would pay your rent to your parents with no squabbling, half of what was said probably wouldn't have been. The buying a new car would then have been irrelevant, but you are trying to say you shouldn't pay any rent, and your parents shouldn't care that you are buying a new car. You went on about having all this new money available (through your job?), but still complained about having to pay rent at 25. At least that's what I think people were trying to say.
Old 10-18-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by zuffy
Well, first I don't remember you saying that you started the job 2 months ago. Second, you said you're saving over $1k per month, but it seem like this have only started for 1-2 months. From the sound of it, your assumption that at this rate, you can get the hybrid engine and then later the house. What kind of job where you have to have a 11-12 months probation?
Probation is a year and I know I said I just started my job not to long ago. I work for TSA.

Exactly! Get my Hybrid and then the house. ...and when I go to buy my house sell my LX for whatever 6-8k which is $$ for the house
Old 10-18-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I DID SAY: that you guys have made me realize I should pay monthly rent at my parents house.

I KNOW I said that in the first thread and gave you all credit for that.

So what I want a different / another car?? I'll sell the LX when I go to buy the house anyhow. If I don't get the car, I'm still not moving out until next year. What's the problem there???
Old 10-18-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LX98Civic
So what I want a different / another car?? I'll sell the LX when I go to buy the house anyhow. If I don't get the car, I'm still not moving out until next year. What's the problem there???
Nothing, as long as you realize that you do not have any grounds to complain about ANY problems that may occur from living at home which include, but are not limited to, rent, utilities, cable, sharing a room with your brother, parents getting on your case for anything, having to follow house rules, etc, etc.

The reasoning for your not having grounds to complain? You claim to have the resources to move out any time you want. Weather or not you choose to or plan to in the future is irrelevant. It is your choice to stay there right now, so don't come crying to this forum for "support" in not wanting to pay rent etc (which you say you've changed your mind on).
Old 10-18-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if you prioritized for the car first, I think your chump $100 rent is an insult to your parents. Did you asked them how much they really want instead of your cheap offer?
Old 10-18-02, 08:21 PM
Banned

I have not read the last thread, but I just want to throw in my 2 cents, however worthless they are. There is no way in hell I am every moving back in with my parents, no matter how tight my income is, no matter how bad my situation. I will work at McDonalds, live in the crappiest part of town, just to not move back in with them. I will go out of my way to stay as far away from their house as possible. Don't get me wrong, my parents are great people, I just don't want to get stuck at home. As long as I never go back, there is no way I can get trapped.
Old 10-18-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 914 Likes on 555 Posts
I hadn't partaken in the first thread, but my esteemed colleague Ron Bacardi has advised me to comment now.

It is a distortion of the facts to say that everyone critiized you for "living at home" until you were 25. (I've never liked that saying - I've always lived at home. My home since I turned 18, my parents' home, prior. But it's always been home. I've never been out on the street). Most objected to your complaints that you we're receiving "fair treatment" with your younger brother, and scoffed at your pittance offer of $100 a month rent.

Anyway...Maybe an appropriate way to restore your good name in the Otter community would be to offer your brother "rent-free" living in your new place, once purchased, for 25 years of his life?

DISCLAIMER: I fully realize that one's responsibility to their children would far outweight any commitment to siblings, and the previous sentence should be taken mostly in jest.
Old 10-18-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cars go down in value so wait to buy it after getting the house.

By then you will either get the same car for less or get a newer car for close to the same price.

I did think and still do that you should pay money to your parents.

I did think and still do that you are not being smart buying a car right now when you could lose your job at any time causing you to have a car payment and be out of work.

Not the best idea IMO.
Old 10-18-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by emanon

Anyway...Maybe an appropriate way to restore your good name in the Otter community would be to offer your brother "rent-free" living in your new place, once purchased, for 25 years of his life?

No way in HELL!!!!!!

$100 a month may not sound like much, but it will cover one of the smaller utilities. As said before, they make good $$ and understand that I am trying to save for a house and yes they know I am buying a h/b. I was talking to my mom about the house and she was like, "I'll start looking / buying small things for your house now for when you move in".

I love my parents with all my heart and VERY thankful for the 24 years I have lived with them!!!

Last edited by LX98Civic; 10-18-02 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-18-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you live at your parents place when you were married? I was thinking you were just moving back there after moving to Florida didn't work out for you, I assumed before you went to FL you were living somewhere else but now it seems like it was at parents place?
Old 10-18-02, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
If I had to share a bunk be with y brother at 24 I wouldn't want to pay more than $100 A MONTH EITHER...

Shadow
Old 10-18-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Correct me if Im wrong but dont you have a kid? I think I remember you mentioning child support in the past. Am I thinking of someone else?
Old 10-18-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LX98Civic
No way in HELL!!!!!!

$100 a month may not sound like much, but it will cover one of the smaller utilities. As said before, they make good $$ and understand that I am trying to save for a house and yes they know I am buying a h/b. I was talking to my mom about the house and she was like, "I'll start looking / buying small things for your house now for when you move in".

I love my parents with all my heart and VERY thankful for the 24 years I have lived with them!!!
If you're taking in $1K after tax a month I'd demand at least 300 bucks from you were I a parent. You're getting a cushy deal for $100.
Old 10-18-02, 09:40 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I understand you place lx98civic, I live at home and am 21 years old. and have the same love for imports as you do, some people get it some don't, but what people don't realize people like us love cars, when I had my 96 accord that I spent about 25grand modifiying it was great, it is more addiciting than any drug could every be. I think you should sell the lx now and buy a h/b then when you have the money hor the engine(during installation) have your brother drive you to work.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 a month to share a room either
Old 10-18-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still confused as to why you need TWO cars instead of just one (LX or Hybrid).
Old 10-18-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
I think you should sell the lx now and buy a h/b then when you have the money hor the engine(during installation) have your brother drive you to work.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 a month to share a room either
You're kidding, right?
Old 10-18-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by criptik28
I'm still confused as to why you need TWO cars instead of just one (LX or Hybrid).
I beleive he's buying an old Civic and will slap on a Integra engine in it, thus the hybrid. Once he have his hybrid, he will sell his current car, the Civic LX.
Old 10-18-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by criptik28
You're kidding, right?
Yeah, the food, water, electricity, cable, Internet connection, etc. . . is not worth anything.

Moreover you can find deals like this for less than 100 bucks, all over the place.
Old 10-18-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bushdog
Yeah, the food, water, electricity, cable, Internet connection, etc. . . is not worth anything.

Moreover you can find deals like this for less than 100 bucks, all over the place.
Yep most Crack houses are way less than $100 a month and you do not have to deal with those meddlesome parents
Old 10-18-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
More power to you if you are happy. From what you describe (and how you describe it) I wouldn't trade places with you for a million dollars (literally).

I love my parents and see them nearly every day, but I still think it is time for you to cut the cord and enter the world of adulthood.
Old 10-18-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
NTS: move out of the house before i'm 24.
Old 10-18-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zuffy
I beleive he's buying an old Civic and will slap on a Integra engine in it, thus the hybrid. Once he have his hybrid, he will sell his current car, the Civic LX.
No, I know that's the plan...I'm just wondering why LX is going to hang onto his old car until he buys the house.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.