Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

24 and still at home with mom and dad (PT.2)

Community
Search

24 and still at home with mom and dad (PT.2)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by D.Placebo
NTS: move out of the house before i'm 24.
That, or just don't let the Otter Farm know.
Old 10-18-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't wanna say anything cause I'ma car junkie too but dude you sleep in a bunk bed w/your brother. Not cool homey get a place first and then a car if your going to be making as much money as you seem to think you are, you'll get a new ride in no time. True no one here really "knows" you but from what I've been reading you're trying to have the luxuries of an adult (car, own money, sex, ect) but you are trying to avoid all the important responsiblities (rent/mortgage, bills)

I understand the sacrifices that comes with moding cars but you should never sacrifice your dignity. And bribing little brother to leave the room for an hour or two so you and you girlfriend can make out on the top bunk undisturbed= No Dignity
Old 10-18-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by tsohg
True no one here really "knows" you but from what I've been reading you're trying to have the luxuries of an adult (car, own money, sex, ect) but you are trying to avoid all the important responsiblities (rent/mortgage, bills)

I understand the sacrifices that comes with moding cars but you should never sacrifice your dignity. And bribing little brother to leave the room for an hour or two so you and you girlfriend can make out on the top bunk undisturbed= No Dignity
tsohg, that's what we've all been trying to say (I think), but I think the point you make about dignity is better made than I've seen in this and the previous thread.

Civic, it's not the "living at home" part, it's the attitude about the rent. You've never answered the questions about how much your parents asked you to pay. Since your parents were the ones who brought up the issue of rent, I think most of us feel that your attitude is disrespectful toward them.

And you never responded when I suggested that the child support might affect your ability to get a mortgage. Since I didn't specifically ask, I'll ask now. When you were first approved, did that include your ex-wife's income, and were you paying child support at the time?

Also, just for the record, do you buy your own food, do your own laundry, and have any significant chores around the house (picking up after yourself does not count as "significant")?
Old 10-18-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by criptik28
That, or just don't let the Otter Farm know.
yeah, like that's ever gonna happen
Old 10-18-02, 11:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sorry, but this thread just isn't as entertaining as part 1. Although the summary of part 1 in the first is pretty hilarious as it doesn't even come close to matching the actual content.
Old 10-19-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The thread is not as entertaining because after 10 pages of advice people are spent. Then he has the gall (or the desire to subject himself to more ridicule) to open a new one and flaunt it in our faces. Its called spinning your wheels, and I'm not going to put any more time into this one.

At the end of the day he is a legal adult and if he wants to insult his family, and himself then so be it.

-g
Old 10-19-02, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,491 Likes on 944 Posts
I read about five pages of the first thread.

What surprised me is your age. From your posts before now, I had assumed that you were about 17. You have the sort of attitudes that one would expect from a high school senior -- prioritizing your car, cheerful acceptance of Taco Bell food bought by your parents, sibling rivalry with your younger brother, irritation at being asked to contribute to the household. It's all to be expected from a young man in his late teens.

But when you said you are almost 25, the picture changed. You aren't acting in a way that's expected from a grown man. It startles people.

It would be like a 17-year-old who still expects to get milk and cookies after work, and gets tucked in every night by Mommy. Or who likes playing mean tricks on girls. Or who skips work to play Pokemon. If a fully capable person isn't acting his age, it's disturbing.

Grudgingly conceding that you will be giving your parents three days' pay every month in exchange for full room and board doesn't elevate you in people's eyes.
Old 10-19-02, 12:18 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
As an adult although not a parent, I would support my child especially if he/she was serious about saving money for a downpayment.

It is the hardest thing to do w/regard to buying a place, so I would allow my child to live rent free, either that or I would be giving them the downpayment to buy a place.

Owning a property is serious bidness, and I have a lot of respect for those who are trying to do it, especially solo. I am lucky in that the mrs and i both earn decent money enough to own a place in sf, and we owned way before everyone I work with as far as age goes.

So I say explain to the folks that the money is not being squandered, I don't think having a car is squandering cash, esp here in the usa, where it seems to this auslander that most parents give the wee ones an Escalade for graduating high school.
Old 10-19-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by D.Placebo
yeah, like that's ever gonna happen
You never know, maybe in the next few months you'll get a busy 100-hour week job and make six figures and have no more time for the rest of us.
Old 10-19-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
I understand you place lx98civic, I live at home and am 21 years old. and have the same love for imports as you do, some people get it some don't, but what people don't realize people like us love cars, when I had my 96 accord that I spent about 25grand modifiying it was great, it is more addiciting than any drug could every be. I think you should sell the lx now and buy a h/b then when you have the money hor the engine(during installation) have your brother drive you to work.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 a month to share a room either
Someone who can relate

It's kind of like how a lot of you worship dvds, well I'm that way with imports.

I am keeping the LX (or wanting to) because of my drive to work each day. It's 23 miles one way X 10 = lots of miles a week. That is not something I want to do to my Hybrid day in and out. But, the area I am looking to move to is about 5-7 miles from the airport which would not be a problem. Not that the Hybrid could not handle the longer drives, just not they way I want to put miles on a $3,500 engine. I'll probably still get some kind of small pick-up once I get established in the house for duties around the house and to drive to work. The Hybrid will be a weekend cruiser type vehicle (so I plan)......

For you saying I should pay more than $100 a month, I would if I had my own room. I talked with my older brother (the one I lived with in FL) and he was saying he paid $100 p/mth back in the day when he was out of school and living at home. He says that is fair.

This thread was not meant to be funny or entertaining. Geeeze this is my life we're talking about.........

.........which seems to be better off than a lot of other adults out there.
Old 10-19-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You didnt answer my question. Do you have a kid?
Old 10-19-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LX98Civic
Someone who can relate

It's kind of like how a lot of you worship dvds, well I'm that way with imports.
Actually the only thing I worship is the Lord. IMHO, your decision to do the bunkbed thing (at right around my age!) so you can have a car is rather pathetic. Again, not saying you are pathetic, but the decision is.

For you saying I should pay more than $100 a month, I would if I had my own room. I talked with my older brother (the one I lived with in FL) and he was saying he paid $100 p/mth back in the day when he was out of school and living at home. He says that is fair.
Well, that question all depends on your parents. Firstly, if it was really back in the day, inflation kicks in (and you should pay more). Second, he was in school. I'd cut my kids a break who were not working full time. That's just me. But in the end, whatever you work out with your parents is between you and them. Just don't expect a lot of people to agree with you complaining about paying this rent.

This thread was not meant to be funny or entertaining. Geeeze this is my life we're talking about.........

Really, by what criterion? Most of the people here do pretty well. I'm just 2 (2.5?) years older than you and I'm pretty sure I outearn you (based on your 1K savings) by about 4-6 times. I live in New York City and enjoy a pretty cool life. I have a beautiful and smart girlfriend who outearns me. I'm well educated, I go to pretty much any sporting event whenever I want, etc. . .

And you know what? It would take about 2 minutes to find someone who is better off than I am. Try to realize you're most likely a big shot only in your own mind. It is a pretty straightforward psychological defense to convince yourself that a crappy situation is better than most other people's. Given what I think I know about the vast majority of people here (demographically speaking) you don't fall too high in the quality of life scale. Remember, everyone here isn't GuessWho or Dr. DVD. It is fine if you feel better than them (their stories encourage such feelings) but for your own good realize most of the people who share life stories here are either having a serious problem or are just in a rut. They do not represent everyone else.
Old 10-19-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LX98Civic, I'm not saying I don't understand your love of cars -- even riced-out imports. While I'm not a real import fan, I do love cars, and I'd dare say, more than you do. I'm the kind of guy who likes cars he would never buy, or can find a nice line somewhere on the body of a car. I notice sublte things, like the unique shape of a door handle on a '95 Miata. Sadly enough, about the only thing I love more than cars is women, and some days I just might rate them higher. My wife is the same way.

We currently drive two nice cars, but they are mostly stock, and they aren't as nice as we'd like. If it wasn't for our house payment, we could sell both and park a Viper and a Z06 in the driveway. I'm also quite sure that her parents would be more than happy to have us move in with them. And yet, I'm not even remotely tempted.

When you say you love cars, I sympathize. In every way possible. However, I cannot understand living in a way you find abhorant, and you are easily able to change, for the sake of owning one car -- whatever that car might be.

Maybe your parents only want $100 a month. Fine. However, from reading the thread before this, it starts off with you saying I don't want to pay a dime, and someone says that you should pay at least $100, to which you reply that you wouldn't pay more than $100 for the space you live in. Sometime after that, you decide that $100 is fair.

Let me tell you something, you don't get to dictate the terms of your living there. Unless you own the place, there's no real negotiations. You've said you'll accept paying $100. If they want $200, your only choice is to go find another spot to live. Trust me, even $200 doesn't cover the cost of you living in the house -- or at least your fair share.

Nick Danger seems to have pegged things fairly well. Your attitudes are not the kind of attitudes of someone who is serious about growing up, buying a house, or moving out. Your parents probably suspect the same thing. You're 25, and you've lived there for 24 years? And that included the time you were married? And had a kid? And the year you were gone, you didn't live on your own, you lived with your brother? Have you ever paid rent? Had real bills to pay? Credit cards don't count, you don't have to do without water or electricity because you didn't pay the credit card bill.

Christ. You are so not ready to buy a house, it's not even funny. And, I don't just mean finanically, I mean you don't have the maturity or experience to own a house -- and the way you're going, you won't be there in a year either. Best of luck, man.
Old 10-19-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

jolt: Yes, he has a 5 year old daughter. Read the thread fool!

Anyway, I read through the entire first thread and am amazed at the rent prices that some of you have stated. I clearly need to get out of Silicon Valley. Fast.

$80k here is a freakin' down payment on a house and was about my annual salary before I lost my job. I can't even imagine buying a house for only $80k.

Anyway, I don't even know why you started this 2nd thread if you're rolling your eyes at people for "not knowing you". Why go through the hassle? It's clear what everybody thinks about you and your situation. No sense in creating another thread just to hear the same replies go in one ear and out the other.

$100 may or may not be a lot of money to you in your situation. It's all relative. If you live in New York (yes, I know you're in Georgia or somewhere thereabouts), $100 is nothing and you should be ashamed of yourself. However, I realize the part of the country where you live is not the same and salaries are adjusted accordingly. I think I read that you would pay around $750 if you rented an apartment? If that's the case, I think you are extremely selfish in only offering to pay $100 to your parents. More so since you are planning on getting another car to modify.

It's admirable that you are saving up to buy your own home, but the means to your end is quite selfish, IMHO.

Old 10-19-02, 11:07 AM
Banned

wait... to recap... you have very little monthly expenses (parents pay for food, housing, and utilities and your girlfriend is far away) and you're pullig in $1,000 / month. So that means your making about $1250 pre-tax. So lets say $1,750 pre-tax at The Sports Authority if you spent $500 / month on entertainment. You expect to buy a new car and a house with that? You wouldn't come close.

So my question is: if you're so intent on saving money, why are you only saving $1,000 / month?
Old 10-19-02, 11:09 AM
Admin

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts
Why in God's name is this thread so long??? Well of course I'm a hypocrite because I'm posting in it, thereby lengthening it further. I lived at home until I turned 23, so I can relate a bit. My Father always half jokingly wanted me to pay rent, but since I worked my way through College, it was my point that when I finally got a real job, I would move out of the house, and when I got my first "real job" I moved out about 2 months after starting it. Been on my own ever since. My philosophy was if you're trying to teach me a lesson about responsibility, I might as well get out and do it for real. Rent to live with one's parents is not worth it, if you can actually afford it on your own.

This being said, it appears that you make enough money to get out on your own. Outright buying a house at the age of 25 is a luxury as far as I'm concerned, as is a new car. You should either get a place to rent that you afford, or suck it up and pay the damn stipend to your parents to shut them up. You can't have your cake and eat it to. Roof over your head = necessity, new house and new car = luxury. You don't have the moral high ground to argue for no rent, other than the fact that your parents love you and might cave if you're spoiled enough.
Old 10-19-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by VinVega
[B]Why in God's name is this thread so long???
did you see the first thread?
Old 10-19-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
compensate much?

I just wonder if the perceived importance of having a "faster car" would be lessened if one was not compensating for being 25, living with one's parents, sharing a room with your brother, and having to bang your girlfriend on a bunkbed.

Like eintier, I am a real car nut. It's not like I don't understand the car thing. I also have a grasp for the import car scene. Still, there is a time for it and a time to suck it up and understand you can do it later. In fact, you may find that some delayed gratification may mean that you will be able to do much better in a few years in regards to cars, if you take care of business now.

As I posted in the earlier thread, I got rid of my modded muscle cars in order to save money. It was not easy. I lusted after those cars. But dude, to have a nice ride, only to take your girl back home to the bunkbed.... man... to each his own, but I could not do that.

Not really related, but amusing:
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~attse/honduh.htm
Old 10-19-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by LX98Civic

Yeah, I'm jealous. You are so much better off then me.

Each one of your posts is more pathetic then the last. It's like you are drowning and the only thing you can think to ask for is a glass of water.

Man, you have no idea. None.

I can't wait till you move out (if it ever happens). I can't wait for the threads then...

"My electricity is wired wrong and it keeps sparking. Should I pay an electrician to check it out or do another mod on my hybrid?"

"My pipes have burst. Should I fix it or get new wheels for my ride?"

"My house needs a new roof. Should I get it replaced or get pretty neon lites for the studmobile?"

Old 10-19-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[mod speak]

Let's be careful about attacking civic. He has the right to his point of view here. However, I am noting that the first thread received a lot of replies. There is no mystery about how people feel. And that thread was closed. Civic chose to open a new thread and even link back to that thread.

So, I am assuming the attention and replies have some positive benefit.
Old 10-19-02, 11:57 AM
Banned

Re: compensate much?

Originally posted by RandyC
Not really related, but amusing:
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~attse/honduh.htm
I think thats the first time I've liked the car after the mods.
Old 10-19-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It stinks like Shaggy in here.
Old 10-19-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Civic was my kid I'd ask for $300-400 a month, then when he's ready to make the downpayment on the house, I'd give most of it back to him. I'd want my kid to learn responsibility by paying almost as much rent as an apartment goes for, but if I'm doing well off I wouldn't want to take his money, so I'd just put it in a savings account.

Like most of the people here, I don't agreee with the way you're handling things, LX98, but I wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-19-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zuffy
I beleive he's buying an old Civic and will slap on a Integra engine in it, thus the hybrid. Once he have his hybrid, he will sell his current car, the Civic LX.
why not just drive an integra w/ integra engine?

this is not a diss, i just don't understand.
Old 10-19-02, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by hypeiv
why not just drive an integra w/ integra engine?

this is not a diss, i just don't understand.
cause thats not rice enough.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.