Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm hosting a foreign movie night...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

I'm hosting a foreign movie night...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
What a completely odd coincidence - it's been sitting on my shelf for ages and I just looked at it a few hours ago and thought it would be a good choice, so I looked again (like I do every 6 months or so) to see if a subbed version has come out and I look to see if a decent fansub has been posted anywhere. The ones I find are split for 2 vcds, plus they are lousy subs.
Old 01-18-08, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe Bullet in the Head and TaeGukGi?

I dont think I am to good with matching themes.... Some people consider Bullet in the Head a War film but its more a John Woo Action that takes place around a War between Friends who are like brothers. Then TaeGukGi is a lot more of a War Film that takes place with two brothers being trapped in the Korean War, The Movie has Saving Private Ryan effects and feel.

I want to think of a Movie that would go with The French film A Very Long Engagment.... which is one of the best WWI films I have saw.

Why would you want to watch to simlar films right behind each other? I rather watch a Hardcore Action/Drama then a Comedy/Action behind it. 4 hours at the same pace would put me over the edge.
Old 01-18-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
I have yet to see Exiled - apparently it's good.
I thought it was fucking great - they sort of made up the movie as they went along, and it does show - but it also doesn't matter because it turned out so well. I think it's Johnny To's best film. It's beautifully shot, very well acted, and has some really good bits of action. It's probably my favorite HK film in a very long while.
Old 01-18-08, 07:56 PM

I would pair up "My Sassy Girl" with "My Little Bride" or "Needing You"(Andy Lau/Sammi Cheng). "Love on a Diet" could work too.
Old 01-19-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - Needing You is great... I also liked Lost and Found - I didn't like my Little Bride so much though. I almost want to put Love on a Diet with Running on Karma - the theme could be Andy Lau in silly looking body suits. Then there's Meriam movies... I do think i need a few more comedies on my list.

TaeGukGi is fantastic, but horribly long isn't it? I wanted to use it though - I would need a really short film to go along with it. Very Long Engagement was decent, but perhaps too slow for Jeunet night.

To answer this question - I guess I'm having theme nights because I have a lot of friends that I've opened this up to and some like action and some like comedy and some like romance and some can handle gore and some can't and some don't mind subtitles and others hate them. I want people to come and stay for both films. Like - some people don't mind subtitles, but only if it's an action - and they don't want to sit through a comedy subtitled. That's just how people are. Plus, with a theme and two movies that compliment each other well - people know what they are getting into. I don't think it's a bad idea at all - I'm smugly pleased with myself even. The movies I picked to go together for the most part aren't the same movie... they just have a loose enough connection that they go together well. For example - next week I'm showing Braindead and Dellamorte Dellamore - those films are both sort of about zombies, but are vast chasms away from each other in pace and tone and everything else. This is why I'm asking for help - because it's not terribly easy to match two films that compliment each other well, but that aren't the same movie back to back. Anyway...

As for Exiled - I'm pretty anxious to check it out now. I watched Dog Bite Dog and while I kinda liked it, I didn't think it was strong enough for the movie night - it's a bit of a downer and the way the film just sort of shuts down will put my friends off I think. I also watched Invisible Target - good film if you like Jackie Chan style films... perhaps a little long though.
Old 01-19-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I a total sap or is Fly Me To Polaris good enough? I cried through the whole thing when I saw it years ago...
Old 01-19-08, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you need a Jeunet teamup, you can use VIDOCQ (the director who worked on special effects with Jeunet & Caro, and who directed the much worse film Catwoman).
Old 01-19-08, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found out that Scandinavia has a non-anamorphic, english subtitled version of Resurrection of a Little Match Girl:
R2 Scandinavia - (Asian Vision / Universal) Extras:Making Of featurette (11:01)
Cast/Crew Bios:
- Jang Sun-Woo (Director)
- Im Eun-Gyung (The Little Match Girl)
- Kim Hyun-Sung (Ju)
- Kim Jin-Pyu (Lee)
Bonus Trailers:
- The Blue Light
- Twilight Samurai
- Volcano High
- H-HypnosisSubtitlesanish, English, Finnish, Norwegian and SwedishAspect Ratio:1.85:1Picture Format:Non-Anamorphic TV System:PALSoundtrack(s):Korean DTS 5.1
Korean Dolby Digital 5.1Case type:Amaray (Keep) CaseNotes:Film runs at 24fps instead of 25fps resulting in interlacing

And here's an Ebay anamorphic, english subtitled-version: http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Match-Gir...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-19-08 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-28-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Had quite a turn-out for my second event last night... everyone loved both the films I showed:

Dellamorte Dellamore and Braindead

Rave reviews all around - I asked for their comments and input after hearing some of your comments about my movie choices and they all loved that I found two films that complimented each other rather than watching two vastly different unrelated films or watching two of the same films back to back. So I know I don't want to just play two movies that are the same thing repeated and I don't want to just pick random movies - my complimenting idea seems to be a hit so far.

They all seem to be excited for next time when I play a couple of tear jerkers... still kinda looking for something that might be better than ...ing. Any ideas? I may have to limit who can come because I can only accomidate 10 people comfortably. So far, this is fun.
Old 01-28-08, 12:23 PM

Well, Toddly already mentioned it, but looking at your list I wonder if Atomic Circus and Survive Style 5+ wouldn't be a better pairing then Wild Zero & Atomic. Survive Style 5+ is a good film, and it's more in line with Atomic Circus if my memory serves me correct.

I'm not sure it's a tear jerker, but a film you might be able to replace ING with would be TIME. I'm a bit biased because I'm a huge KiDuk fan, but when I saw it at the TIFF I was surrounded by people who didn't have much experience with KiDuk, who all left the theatre pretty impressed. KiDuk is hit or miss however, so you may have a split audience after the fact. It's sad, deals with relationships and physical appearances, but I couldn't see myself crying over it. Of course, I didn't cry during ING either...lol.

In terms of being depressed from a film, Lilja 4-ever is a strong film, but I'm not sure it's in the same line as ING. Lilja will make you sad, and it stayed with me for a while after it was done, but not for reasons concerning love. Not many films impacted me like Lilja, but as we know with film everyone has different experiences. When someone asks me about a depressing film, that one usually comes to mind fairly quickly.

Also, just a quick note. I see you're playing both My Sassy Girl and Il Mare. Both of these have been remade (Lake House, and in 2008 My Sassy Girl, same title). If someone has already seen Lake House, it might take away from the experience that night. You might want to consider films that are not as likely to be promoted in North America under a different name, but that's just me thinking out loud

Last edited by splattii2; 01-28-08 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-28-08, 01:02 PM

Had quite a turn-out for my second event last night... everyone loved both the films I showed:

Dellamorte Dellamore and Braindead

Rave reviews all around - I asked for their comments and input after hearing some of your comments about my movie choices and they all loved that I found two films that complimented each other rather than watching two vastly different unrelated films or watching two of the same films back to back. So I know I don't want to just play two movies that are the same thing repeated and I don't want to just pick random movies - my complimenting idea seems to be a hit so far.

They all seem to be excited for next time when I play a couple of tear jerkers... still kinda looking for something that might be better than ...ing. Any ideas? I may have to limit who can come because I can only accomidate 10 people comfortably. So far, this is fun.
Congrats on everything going on fine! It must be so exciting! I wish I had that many friends who love cinema to organize nights like these... I wonder what you showed first - Braindead or Dellamorte Dellamore?
Old 01-28-08, 01:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Le Samourai & The Driver - just to see if anyone notices how closely the latter mirrors the former.

French & American films. Yep, both foreign in my household!

PS) Yes, I don't really think I appreciate how this works but thought I'd join in anyway
Old 01-28-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you all think Buffalo '66 would be good to pair with My Sassy Girl as an "unlikely lovers" sort of thing or is B 66 too arty?
Old 01-28-08, 02:54 PM

Do you all think Buffalo '66 would be good to pair with My Sassy Girl as an "unlikely lovers" sort of thing or is B 66 too arty?
Too arty imho. Depends on tastes of people watching, but many can consider it slow and boring I guess.
Old 01-28-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by splattii2
Well, Toddly already mentioned it, but looking at your list I wonder if Atomic Circus and Survive Style 5+ wouldn't be a better pairing then Wild Zero & Atomic. Survive Style 5+ is a good film, and it's more in line with Atomic Circus if my memory serves me correct.

I'm not sure it's a tear jerker, but a film you might be able to replace ING with would be TIME. I'm a bit biased because I'm a huge KiDuk fan, but when I saw it at the TIFF I was surrounded by people who didn't have much experience with KiDuk, who all left the theatre pretty impressed. KiDuk is hit or miss however, so you may have a split audience after the fact. It's sad, deals with relationships and physical appearances, but I couldn't see myself crying over it. Of course, I didn't cry during ING either...lol.

In terms of being depressed from a film, Lilja 4-ever is a strong film, but I'm not sure it's in the same line as ING. Lilja will make you sad, and it stayed with me for a while after it was done, but not for reasons concerning love. Not many films impacted me like Lilja, but as we know with film everyone has different experiences. When someone asks me about a depressing film, that one usually comes to mind fairly quickly.

Also, just a quick note. I see you're playing both My Sassy Girl and Il Mare. Both of these have been remade (Lake House, and in 2008 My Sassy Girl, same title). If someone has already seen Lake House, it might take away from the experience that night. You might want to consider films that are not as likely to be promoted in North America under a different name, but that's just me thinking out loud
I haven't yet watched Atomik Circus or Survive Style, so I'm not sure where I'll stick em. After watching the trailer for Survive, I'm definitely putting it in. I ordered a copy already. I was considering bumping up Battle Royale to March and pairing it with Survive Style 5... I don't know anymore. I have to watch some of these.

I have Time, but haven't watched it yet - I'm going to use 3-Iron though. ...ing didn't make me cry either which is why I'm looking for something else. I haven't seen Lilja, but I don't really want to depress people necessarily.

I definitely considered putting il Mare and Sassy girl together at first - then changed my mind. I'm just not sure I'm going to use Il Mare at all because of the Lakehouse. I was also considering The Classic to pair with Sassy, but it's not really funny. Maybe I'll just put King of Comedy with it. I don't know yet and it's coming up soon. Ack.
Old 01-28-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giggles
Congrats on everything going on fine! It must be so exciting! I wish I had that many friends who love cinema to organize nights like these... I wonder what you showed first - Braindead or Dellamorte Dellamore?
I was originally going to put Braindead second, but there were a few people showing up only for the second feature and figured I'd swap em so more people would see dellamorte. I think either way would've been good, but a different experience. Those that saw Braindead first were glad they could erase the gore from their heads with the tame Dellamorte.
Old 01-28-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I definitely considered putting il Mare and Sassy girl together at first - then changed my mind. I'm just not sure I'm going to use Il Mare at all because of the Lakehouse. I was also considering The Classic to pair with Sassy, but it's not really funny. Maybe I'll just put King of Comedy with it. I don't know yet and it's coming up soon. Ack.
Could also pair up any of the following with My Sassy Girl ...

Beast and the Beauty
Please Teach Me English
200 Lbs Beauty
My Little Bride

Though the only one in the same league is My Little Bride. PTME is very good and the others aren't bad. All are fairly light and fluffy Romcoms.

Good to see your film night worked out!
Old 01-28-08, 05:42 PM

For tearjerkers that can be paired with "...ing", I would recommend "Crying Out Love, In the Center of the World"; "Be With You", "Happy Birthday" (Louis Koo), "Failan" and "Christmas in August". It's not a romantic tearjerker, but a movie that really made me cry was "The Color of Paradise".
Old 01-28-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tali219
For tearjerkers that can be paired with "...ing", I would recommend "Crying Out Love, In the Center of the World"; "Be With You", "Happy Birthday" (Louis Koo), "Failan" and "Christmas in August". It's not a romantic tearjerker, but a movie that really made me cry was "The Color of Paradise".
I was looking for a tearjerker to go along with Be With You actually... I have Failan and Christmas in August - don't remember them making me cry... perhaps I should watch them again. Haven't seen the others.
Old 01-28-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Could also pair up any of the following with My Sassy Girl ...

Beast and the Beauty
Please Teach Me English
200 Lbs Beauty
My Little Bride

Though the only one in the same league is My Little Bride. PTME is very good and the others aren't bad. All are fairly light and fluffy Romcoms.

Good to see your film night worked out!
Please Teach Me English is cute, but I agree - not in same league. I didn't like My Little Bride that much. I thought 200 Pound Beauty was a pile of complete shit. I haven't watched Beauty and Beast yet, but I have it. I'll give it a spin. It's tough finding something in the same league...
Old 01-28-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Trigger:

As per your earlier request take a look at Tuya's Marriage winner of the Golden Bear at the Berlinale (the disc is rather poor but the film is exceptional).

The Road Home is also a favorite of mine.

Pro-B
Old 01-29-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
My Sassy Girl - My Wife is a Gangster, similar theme (comedy/romance) but different films when you throw in the action elements of the later.

Story of Ricki - The Untold Story, although I also like the pairing with Ichii.

Tale of Two Sisters - ??????, very hard to pair anything with this because it's simply in a class of it's own. My first thought was Sorum (I also like "The Uninvited", "Shutter" and "Memento Mori"), but that might be too much atmospheric horror for one sitting. Since "A Tale of Two Sisters" is bound to have people scratching their collective heads and raise a zillion questions, I think you need to save that for last and have something a bit more straightforward as your first film. Maybe something non horror like the excellent thriller Tell Me Something. Actually, the later would make an excellent pairing with Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure as far as thrillers goes.

Battle Royale - ?????, again difficult to pair. Since this is essentially a thriller/survival horror, I might pair that with something with comedic elements like Severance or Dog Soldiers.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - OldBoy, excellent films but I'm not sure I like the pairing. SMV is about as nihilistic as it gets, and you're gonna have a bunch of people too depressed to watch something that packs as much of a punch as OldBoy does. And if you show OldBoy first, people will be gasping for air for hours afterwards and showing SMV certainly ain't gonna help. If you want to stick with the revenge theme, you might want to consider the underrated Princess Aurora and show that first. Or, if you really want to stick with Park Chan Wook, I believe that Sympathy for Lady Vengeance would be a better choice than SMV.

Now here's a pairing I immediately thought of: Fighter in the Wind and Rikidozan

Oh, and The Way Home with Kitano's Kikujiro.

Just food for thought.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-29-08 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok - I've decided to stick My Sassy Girl with Happenstance... since I'm playing the director's cut of Sassy Girl, Happenstance at 90 minutes should relieve the time burden... plus, it's a cute movie from a girl's perspective rather than a guy's. Good choice?

I just got Survive Style 5, Tokyo Zombie, and I have a few films on the way that should go with some of these tough ones. I am also including Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl which should go well with a bunch of things and I'm going to consider Taste of Tea and Funky Forest: First Contact as well.

eXentris - I already showe Sympathy and Oldboy - that was the first night. Only a few people were there and they liked both films, but I think it was a little much... you're right.
Old 02-02-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Just food for thought.
Speaking of which (since I have nothing better to do at the moment)...Trigger, being the fine host that I'm sure you are, what's been on the food and drink menu for your movie nights?
Old 02-02-08, 12:14 PM

I have about 500 Asian DVDs in my collection, and I collect mostly tearjerker movies as it's my favorite.

Fly Me To Polaris is a good movie with a great soundtrack.

If you're looking for more tearjerker movies, then I can easily recommend them to you.

A Moment To Remember
The Classic
Windstruck

These are some of my high recommendation on Korean movies. I would consider them being the best tearjerker movies for Asian cinema.

Also, check out the latest release of May 18. It's based on a true event. It's a sad one, but it should entertain the guys and girls as it contains gunfight scenes and romance.

Am I a total sap or is Fly Me To Polaris good enough? I cried through the whole thing when I saw it years ago...

Last edited by Engel07; 02-02-08 at 12:25 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.