Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm hosting a foreign movie night...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

I'm hosting a foreign movie night...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A perfect match to go with Be With You is the Japanese movie Heavenly Forrest. I enjoyed Heavenly Forrest casting better than Be With You.

Originally Posted by Trigger
I was looking for a tearjerker to go along with Be With You actually... I have Failan and Christmas in August - don't remember them making me cry... perhaps I should watch them again. Haven't seen the others.
Old 02-02-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flixtime
Speaking of which (since I have nothing better to do at the moment)...Trigger, being the fine host that I'm sure you are, what's been on the food and drink menu for your movie nights?
BYO - I have people bring their own drinks and snacks... I do offer water or soda if they forget. I also make a big thing of popcorn for everyone to share, but most people are coming over right after dinner. Last time someone brought over a 6 pack of beer and left some for me. My friends are cool about taking care of their own snacks and bevs.
Old 02-02-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Engel07
I have about 500 Asian DVDs in my collection, and I collect mostly tearjerker movies as it's my favorite.

Fly Me To Polaris is a good movie with a great soundtrack.

If you're looking for more tearjerker movies, then I can easily recommend them to you.

A Moment To Remember
The Classic
Windstruck

These are some of my high recommendation on Korean movies. I would consider them being the best tearjerker movies for Asian cinema.

Also, check out the latest release of May 18. It's based on a true event. It's a sad one, but it should entertain the guys and girls as it contains gunfight scenes and romance.
I don't remember crying at all through Windstruck or Classic - I'll screen them this week along with ...ing and Fly Me To Polaris to see what would be best suited. I know I really liked Classic though. Also - time is a concern, so I may just pick the shortest film since Be With You is kinda long.

I know it's gonna be one of these though - it has to be something I already own (so it can't be Heavenly Forest) since this is going to be in a week. I hadn't really considered Windstruck because it was a little cheesey, but my friends might like it.
Old 02-03-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone see "Sad Movie" yet? I have it, but haven't watched it yet.
Old 02-08-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok - watched Sad Movie... very sad. Now I can't decide between that and ...ing.

Also checked out Secret - very good. Now I want to add that somewhere. I also just watched Someone Behind You and was surprised by how good it was. There's almost no information about it anywhere. Not even on IMDB. Anyone else see it?
Old 02-08-08, 04:20 AM

I also just watched Someone Behind You and was surprised by how good it was. There's almost no information about it anywhere. Not even on IMDB. Anyone else see it?
Was thinking whether to include it in my wishlist just yesterday! Now I definately will. BTW it annoys me how many of the Korean films are not on IMDB.
Old 02-08-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK - well, Someone Behind You is based on a really popular Korean comic. The film relies on shock scares - and does so effectively. The special effects are good for the most part and they do the job well without being 'too much.' The story is a bit of a stretch, but you'll have to remember that it's based on a comic. The film has no long-haired ghost girls in it and it's more violent than most Korean horrors. I'd say it's a little better than Phone. The lead actress does a particularly great job, and everyone else gives a solid performance as well.

Some people might be put off by some of the things (or characters) in this film that would be more suited for an anime or comic, but it's not too far 'out there' and this film is pretty good - what's more, it isn't the same old ghost girl movie we've seen over and over. I think I'd give it a 7.5/10 at least. For reference, I thought Phone was a 6 and Tale of Two Sisters was a 9.
Old 02-08-08, 01:39 PM

7.5 out of 10 is definately good. I usually mark so films that are not brilliant, but came very close. Haven't seen Phone yet, but Tale of Two Sisters got 9 from me also. I'll have to check this one out for sure, thanks for the advise, Trigger
Old 02-08-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK - well, if you hate it, I take no responsibility.
Old 02-08-08, 04:31 PM

OK - well, if you hate it, I take no responsibility.
Sure
Old 02-08-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For reference, here's a mini-review of Someone Behind You on Koreafilmorg ...

The reviewer doesn't sound pleased So Trig is back off the hook ...

Last edited by visitor Q; 02-08-08 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow - that was a pretty bad review - starting to doubt my own thoughts on it. Maybe I should re-watch it. I agree with that review, except I enjoyed it. I noticed they didn't seem to hate D-War as much as I did.
Old 02-08-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ehhh, I get the impression that Kyu hyun (no offense intended) is somewhat pretentious, overtly scholar in approach with his/her reviews. I'm more humble than that, and enjoy my films as such. Check out hyun's review of Sympathy for Lady Vengeance for complete fodder. Kyu hyun calls out the film as being "meandering and unfocused." I would prefer to think that SfLV takes some time to develop, but it knows exactly where it's heading.

Nothing wrong with critical reviews, but seriously ... they are just films.

So, take the Someone Behind You review with a grain of salt.
Old 02-09-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - they also seemed to like 200 Pound Beauty and I thought it was awful... to each his own.
Old 04-16-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Checking in... I've hosted 7 of these so far and this weekend is number 8. Here's what I've shown so far:

1. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance & Oldboy
2. Braindead & Dellamorte Dellamore
3. Secret & Be With You
4. King of Comedy & My Sassy Girl
5. Battlefied Baseball (was going to be A Bittersweet Life) & Battle Royale (nobody showed, just me and my girlfriend)
6. Shutter & A Tale of Two Sisters (nobody came, but I did a show on the following Thursday and people came to that)
7. No Way Out & JSA

This Sunday, I've got Kung Fu Hustle and Zatoichi

I kinda bumped this again because after that, I'm playing Shark Skin Man & Peach Hip Girl with Survive Style 5+. I'm not sure this is the best match or maybe Shark Skin isn't that great. I think there's enough common threads between them that they're a good match, but is there a better match we haven't thought of yet?
Old 04-16-08, 11:11 AM

Show them Seven Days...that would be an awesome movie to entertain everyone on their seat..
Old 04-16-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wish I could contribute to the Survive Style match - though I haven't seen it.

But Engel, there seems to be a fairly devisive pool of opinions on Seven Days. Clever ideas, but too heavy with plot twists, poor filming techniques (first 15 minutes gave me a head ache) and well, Korea is known for its melo-drama and you definitely get it. So you now know which pool I'm in.

If you know of anyone looking to obtain the now OOP Korean LE for a good price ..send 'em my way!!
Old 04-16-08, 11:49 AM

I'm interested if it's the autograph edition. Sending you PM.

Originally Posted by visitor Q

If you know of anyone looking to obtain the now OOP Korean LE for a good price ..send 'em my way!!
Old 04-16-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got Seven Days - it's a 3-disc... is there an even fancier version that I missed?

Would I play this with SS5? I have to watch it I guess to see if it would be appreciated by my crowd.
Old 04-16-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope, the 3D set with the OST is the limited (or as fancy as you'll get for now) release. Some come with an autograph. Engel, I'll check tonight to see if mine has one as I don't recall.
Old 04-16-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is it OOP already? I must've gotten the last copy since it just came in the mail on Monday.
Old 04-16-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kinda bumped this again because after that, I'm playing Shark Skin Man & Peach Hip Girl with Survive Style 5+. I'm not sure this is the best match or maybe Shark Skin isn't that great. I think there's enough common threads between them that they're a good match, but is there a better match we haven't thought of yet?
Wasn't a huge fan of Shark Skin. How about Visitor Q, that'd go well with Survive Style.
Old 04-16-08, 04:26 PM

Thanks. I'll still be interested even without the autograph if you are planning to sell it.

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Nope, the 3D set with the OST is the limited (or as fancy as you'll get for now) release. Some come with an autograph. Engel, I'll check tonight to see if mine has one as I don't recall.
Old 04-16-08, 04:27 PM

It's already out of print already since I can't find it anywhere else for a friend. yesasia, dvdfromkorea, etc...all gone.

How is it OOP already? I must've gotten the last copy since it just came in the mail on Monday.
Old 04-16-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You think that one sold fast - did you follow the Le Grande Chef LE (with dumpling/rice steamer)? Was out from every etailer in 3 days. I hear it's a ridiculous movie. The set however is insane!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.