Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm hosting a foreign movie night...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Every two weeks at my house I'm hosting a foreign grindhouse movie night where I screen two kickass movies for my friends... The two films I select are related by a theme.

I've been putting together the schedule and have it mostly in good shape, but have hit a few snags. I thought I'd come here for a little advice on one pairing...

I'm trying to pair something up with Riki-Oh: Story of Ricky. It's not easy.

I've thought Electric Dragon 80,000 Volt, but it's too short... then I thought Tetsuo: Iron Man, but it's also too short. I considered both of them back to back (or Iron Man 1 and 2), but that's just too much black and white seizure-inducing insanity.

I'll need something that's as over-the-top as Story of Ricky. Any ideas?

I've got Battle Royale paired with Ichi the Killer already... I was going to use Wild Zero with something else (not sure what - Battlefield Baseball maybe? BioZombie? Junk sucks, so not that) zombie themed. I've got Braindead paired with Dellamorte Dellamore already (in 2 weeks actually) too, so can't use that.

So what's good and insane that I can use? Should I just use an actual anime?

I also need a match for Tale of Two Sisters - I'd like something equally good that Hollywood hasn't remade (yet)... also, any ideas when the Hollywood version of that is slated to release?

And I'd like a match for The Host... can't think of any monster movies (no godzillas)... would Save the Green Planet work?

Also a good match for My Sassy Girl - I didn't think Windstruck was strong enough - Il Mare is fantastic, but then that stupid Keanu film. The Classic is great too, but is it too slow? I need a good romantic comedy with heart.

I've paired Be With You and ...ing as films to make em cry.

Anyway - I'm turning to the experts. I can post my schedule so far if anyone is interested to know.
Old 01-15-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For good and insane perhaps Atomik Circus.

Pro-B
Old 01-15-08, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Riki-Oh / The Street Fighter (Sonny Chiba)

A Tale Of Two Sisters / Haute Tension (although showing them back to back might give spoilers for the 2nd film you show, as they both have the similar twist end)
Old 01-15-08, 03:51 AM

You can use Into the Mirror with Tale of Two Sisters. Alexandre Aja has remade it in the US, but it's not out yet, and I'm not sure when in 2008 it will be.
Old 01-15-08, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh - I didn't know Into the Mirror was being remade - thanks. I had considered that one, but didn't think it was a very strong film.

As for Haute Tension - I've got that with something else (but may change my mind) - basically, I think it's far too gory and bloody compared to Two Sisters. Very clever matching up though - I hadn't thought of that angle. The Streetfighter is a good flick, but not quite over-the-top enough - goons drooling milk out their mouth isn't as out there.

Atomik Circus might be a good companion for Wild Zero, no? Maybe I'll do that. I don't own it though, so I guess I have to buy it. Damn Thai DVDs. I was about to write up a thread about my loathing of Thai DVDs. The video and audio quality aren't what gets me - it's the cases. Pfft.

Thanks for the suggestions - keep them coming...
Old 01-15-08, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass, you took the words right out of my mouth - Atomik Circus. There are a lot of wild crazy violent movies, but usually not that good or intersting as Atomik Circus..

1. Atomik Circus
2. Ninja Scroll
3. Any random zombie film

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-15-08 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-15-08, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It had such mixed reviews - I'll buy it on faith in you guys alone though. I watched a trailer and it reminded me of Wild Zero somewhat.

What about Sex and Zen to go along with Story of Ricky? It's been awhile since I've seen it - isn't there a similar film to sex and zen that's insane and good? Eternal Evil of Asia?
Old 01-15-08, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

or any Takashii Miike Film, but not his horror ones - I would consider The Great Yokai War, City of Lost Souls, or one of the Dead or Alives...
Old 01-15-08, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A good Chinese Evil Dead-type film is Sammo Hung's Spooky Encounters - it's funny and scary and has crazy action...one of my favorite Sammo flicks...

Concerning Sex and Zen...maybe you should team that film up with Maggie Q's Naked Weapon. I love that film...

Here are some more which are good pairing type films, good for movie-type nights with friends...

1. Survive Style 5+ (wacky crazy)
2. The Way Home (most emotional Korean film i've ever seen)
3. Anniyan (Bollywood's first martial arts film. It's so bad it's good. It's freaking funny) / The Challenge (Kampfansage), Germany's first matial arts film - this one is good though.
4. Strings/ Legend of the Sacred Stone (two live-action puppet films)

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-15-08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-15-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was only adding Sex and Zen to go with Ricky - I didn't like Naked weapon quite enough to include it. I can only do 52 films for the whole year (and probably less if I vacation or something comes up).

I suppose I could stick Ricky with Ichi - I considered Visitor Q, but that's entirely too nasty... even Ichi is pushing it. Ricky is pretty messed up though (even though it's comical to some, it may be too sick for others), so maybe just sticking it with Ichi solves that problem...

Now to pair up Battle Royale with something. I'll have to think on that for awhile..

I haven't actually seen Yokai War or Lost Souls - I think I even have one of them. I'll have to order them.
Old 01-15-08, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dead or Alive would go well with Ricky, IMO
Old 01-15-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Caught on a little bit late, but I like Ichi with Ricky.

As for Battle Royale .. tough call. First to come to mind is Series 7, another film dealing with the social commentary of violence - in the form of a game. The second but weakest choice is 2LDK. I'm sure there's got to be a social commentary built in there somewhere.
Old 01-15-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - I thought it would be easy, but I'm struggling with BR. BR2 is a no-go since it sucked balls. I just got 2LDK, but haven't watched it yet. I don't have Series 7, but just watched a trailer - looks funny... What about Versus? I thought about Alive - watched it recently... unfortunately, it was stupid... some cool visuals though.

I have the Dead or Alive movies, but I don't remember them being that rad. I remember liking Full Metal Yakuza. It's been awhile... maybe I'll watch DoA again.
Old 01-15-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
BR2 is a no-go since it sucked balls.
Yeah, Kenta was adopted me thinks ...

Versus vs. Battle Royale ... hmmmm, I don't think Versus is serious enough and there certainly aren't any deep thought provoking moments to be found. Don't get me wrong, and I hate admitting this, but Versus is one of my favorite leave your brain at the door films .. ever.

If not for the sheer manga-ish blood spraying and violent moments I could see it, but otherwise there's very little cross over.

Oh and btw .. make sure you don't wait too long on 2LDK. Be sure to check out the featurette ... gives one a whole other appreciation level for the film. Good stuff!
Old 01-15-08, 12:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I know some have shared their negative opinions of this but the Australian 'Undead' and the UK's 'Evil Aliens' falls under the same zany genre of 'Atomik Circus'
Old 01-15-08, 12:52 PM

Yeah - I thought it would be easy, but I'm struggling with BR. BR2 is a no-go since it sucked balls. I just got 2LDK, but haven't watched it yet. I don't have Series 7, but just watched a trailer - looks funny... What about Versus? I thought about Alive - watched it recently... unfortunately, it was stupid... some cool visuals though.

I have the Dead or Alive movies, but I don't remember them being that rad. I remember liking Full Metal Yakuza. It's been awhile... maybe I'll watch DoA again.
Dead or Alive: Birds is my fave since it's soooo out there and inventive.

it's really too bad that Zebraman has never seen a legitamit English subbed release since it's my favourite Miike film (followed by 'The Great Yokai War').
Old 01-15-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
it's really too bad that Zebraman has never seen a legitamit English subbed release since it's my favourite Miike film (followed by 'The Great Yokai War').
Keep your eyes peeled (and since this thread involves Miike I only mean figuratively) ... it's on the way on 2/19 c/o Media Blasters: Zebraman
Old 01-15-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok - I must've been smoking crack... just watched the first 5 minutes of DoA again - wow. Before I go trudging through them again, iirc, they are all downhill from the first 5 minutes of the first film, no?

I guess I haven't watched DOA Birds yet. (do I even have it?) You know how it is... you have piles of movies you haven't gotten to yet... *sigh*. I think I do have City of Lost Souls sitting in a box somewhere, but almost ordered it again today.

I know BR has plenty of subtext, but I doubt my friends will be reading too much into that... You may be right though considering the tone of the film. Not much out there similar to that. I'm gonna buzz through Versus again to refresh my memory. I'm also going to watch 2LDK today.

Zebraman is coming in a few weeks with English Subs... check HKflix. I'm gonna order that one, so if you think that might work (never seen it)...
Old 01-15-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
imo:

A Tale of Two Sisters would go well with Shutter (Thai)

Fudoh: The New Generation would make a great companion to Riki-Oh. (It's over the top, splattery, and has vaginal blowdarts)

DoA is purely downhill after the first 5 minutes, imo. You should also consider doing the Duel films (2LDK and Aragami) together (which was, in a way, a pre-built grindhouse double feature/"competition between directors" (only two speaking characters on screen at a time, must be some sort of "fight" and there must be a clear victor... or something like that))

Also, I was thinking it through and while not a perfect match by any means, Survive Style 5+ (imdb, trailer) and 6ixtynin9 (imdb, trailer) (It's not nearly as serious as the trailer plays it out to be) might work alright as a double feature as well. Actually, the more I think about it, the less it works, but those are two individually enjoyable flicks (It's hard to match the grounded zaniness of Survive Style 5. The closest matches are the entirely too over the top (and girly) Kamikaze Girls and Cutey Honey)

I used to show foreign flicks to friends of mine, but never as double features. I generally stuck out with the things that would interest them most which would be the more action oriented, over-the-top type (not necessarily grindhouse style like Tony Jaa flicks, but close).

Last edited by RichC2; 01-15-08 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-15-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Crazy over the top alien-invasion movie - kinda campy (especially at the begining), but once it gets going, it's VERY FUN (thought it's in English, it was made in the UK, so I'm counting it as foreign):

Awesome Taiwanese actioner, with crazy fights and stunts:

Old 01-15-08, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Crazy over the top alien-invasion movie - kinda campy (especially at the begining), but once it gets going, it's VERY FUN (thought it's in English, it was made in the UK, so I'm counting it as foreign):

unfortunately all the extras found on the UK Region 2 PAL are nowhere to be found on the US edition

glad to hear about 'Zebraman' (time to retire the boot).
Old 01-15-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, I just got Shutter as well - going to watch soon. The only other film I have that you mentioned is Cutey Honey.

I'm not really doing grindhouse style exactly... I'm mixing it up. I'm selecting films based on the proportions of my collection - so 10 each from Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, US, and then Everywhere else (meaning France or Russian or Spain or Italy or whatever). Then I'm also trying to have from each country some action, some comedy, some drama, some romance, some horror etc... I made it way more complicated than it needed to be.
Old 01-15-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Evil Aliens looks like it could be good or it could be awful... I'll check it out definitely though either way. I thought Undead was pretty bad with moments of good or cool. I don't know that it's right for my movie night - i'll have to get a feel for which of my friends show up regularly...
Old 01-15-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
unfortunately all the extras found on the UK Region 2 PAL are nowhere to be found on the US edition

I just put that picture up because it was an easy amazon link.
I actually have the 2-disc German steel-case version:
http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/ev...k-p-11340.html

Evil Aliens looks like it could be good or it could be awful... I'll check it out definitely though either way.
I have to admit that the first half-hour or so is pretty lame and cliche-ridden, but then it starts to kick some schlocky ass after that.
Old 01-15-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gilesit's really too bad that [b
Zebraman[/b] has never seen a legitamit English subbed release since it's my favourite Miike film (followed by 'The Great Yokai War').
http://www.amazon.com/Zebraman-Akira.../dp/B000Z6GT72

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.