International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Old 01-25-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is right.

But what of the transfer? And is the DTS fullrate or halfrate? And is it 5.1 or 6.1? And while I'm asking so many questions, what's the average price?

Oh and thanks in advance, DrGerbil.
Old 01-25-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
is right.

But what of the transfer? And is the DTS fullrate or halfrate? And is it 5.1 or 6.1? And while I'm asking so many questions, what's the average price?

Oh and thanks in advance, DrGerbil.
The transfer quality is unknown. Discrete DTS? No one knows...

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=1809
http://www.dvdheaven.com/list_detail.php?idx=%2010247

If anyone can find some other dependable retailers, besides Mr. Kwang (he should have it up soon) and DVDDetective (ditto), please post them.
Old 01-25-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay. Thanks for the links, DrGerbil.
Old 01-25-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I take back anything I may have previously said about the 3-disc set not being glitchy. I tried to watch the movie all the way through tonight and it not only stuttered during the bamboo forest fight but also froze up like a bastard and refused to play around 1:25:00 (right as the New Leader throws a dagger).
Old 01-26-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've never heard of http://www.dvdfromkorea.com before!...are they reliable guys?...

ok the thread is already 8 pages & we don't seem to agree on which is the ultimate version!....WHAT'S THE ULTIMATE VERSION NOW?!!!
Old 01-26-05, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by animatedude
ok the thread is already 8 pages & we don't seem to agree on which is the ultimate version!....WHAT'S THE ULTIMATE VERSION NOW?!!!
Right now?

R3 2-disc from Edko.

Better picture than the Chinese Zoke Culture or the original HK 1-disc Edko. Upcoming Japanese doesn't appear to offer english subtitles, but the Korean Starmax could be a winner too. UK & US releases when they appear will both have some trims, so if you want the untampered version with english subtitles its the HK 2-disc with the possible challenge of Korean Starmax when it appears.
Old 01-26-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I may be wrong, but I think there's a 3-disc Limited Edition from Edko, with the same transfer as the 2-disc SE. This might presently be the "ultimate version", assuming it's not sold-out (and that my other info about it is correct).
Old 01-26-05, 12:01 PM

The 3-disc LE is pretty much gone now - you'll be paying for it if you find one, so I didn't include it as animatedude wanted to know what was available right now. The extras for the LE were a CD soundtrack, picture book, bamboo pen(!), bookmarks and a nice box. The 2 DVDs were the same as the Edko 2-disc.
Old 01-26-05, 12:12 PM

Sensasian still has the 3 disc Edko listed:
http://sensasian.com/cgi-bin/sensasi.../View/V10137-D

$42 + 14 shipping units

Last edited by dleedlee; 01-26-05 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 01:55 PM

I got my LE from xploited Cinema, and it was about $47 with priority shipping. I would definitely order from them again in the future.
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=3656
Old 01-26-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised they haven't been forced to stop selling HOFD like the other US based e-tailers have been (yesasia, dvdasian, hkflix, etc.).

BTW, I finally got my REAL corrected copy of the Edko 2-disc in from CD-Wow. So, can anyone who's seen it in a theater tell us if the scenes in the bamboo forest have high contrast levels in the portions of the frame showing the sky? I still think that those scenes seem too bright even on this upgraded transfer.
Old 01-26-05, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by sikegrad
I got my LE from xploited Cinema, and it was about $47 with priority shipping. I would definitely order from them again in the future.
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=3656
Hmm..should I wait for the Starmax release or grab this one?
Old 01-26-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fourizonly
Hmm..should I wait for the Starmax release or grab this one?
Wait a while, then grab if the Starmax turns out to be a disappointment. With the glitch issues, i'd be wary of buying any Edko set.
Old 01-26-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is www.dvdfromkorea.com a US-based retailer? or it's in Korea?
Old 01-26-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
is www.dvdfromkorea.com a US-based retailer? or it's in Korea?
I believe they are based in Korea only, and I doubt they have distribution centers anywhere else.
Old 01-26-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched my Edko set (2 disc) tonight and it played flawlessly.
Old 01-27-05, 02:19 PM

Watched my edko set (2 disc ) and its defective... So how can i get this fixed besides contacting cdwow because i bought this off ebay
Old 01-27-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dmpre99
Watched my edko set (2 disc ) and its defective... So how can i get this fixed besides contacting cdwow because i bought this off ebay
If you bought this off ebay-then the seller would be the only person who can rectify the situation. I don't understand why you would/should contact CDwow?
Old 01-27-05, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by RonBoster
If you bought this off ebay-then the seller would be the only person who can rectify the situation. I don't understand why you would/should contact CDwow?
Thats becuase he said he bought it from there. So i was thinking that maybe i can contact cdwow to replace it for me.
Isnt there a contact email address for edko? I tried to look for it but couldnt find anything..
Old 01-27-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thats becuase he said he bought it from there. So i was thinking that maybe i can contact cdwow to replace it for me.
How do you figure? It is *his* responsibility, not yours. Cd-Wow won't give you a replacement as they have no proof you purchased it. I suppose you could explain to them the situation and give the sellers' information, but I don't know what kind of response you would get.
Old 01-27-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isnt there a contact email address for edko? I tried to look for it but couldnt find anything..
Since they track everything via order number and cc, I doubt they would do anything for someone that no connection either to the order or credit card.

If the item arrived sealed, it would be a gesture of kindness on his part. If it arrived open, then I would suspect the owner knew of the problem and didn't want to deal with a return (which be pretty crappy to sell it to someone knowing the problem).

I ended up eating a copy of the Edko Hero 2 disc set. Same problem with a pressing of that title. I didn't know and didn't watch it for several months. I watched it and contacted CDwow...they said yes, there was a problem, but since I didn't contact them within 30 days, they wouldn't do anything for me.

Ron
Old 01-27-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster
I watched it and contacted CDwow...they said yes, there was a problem, but since I didn't contact them within 30 days, they wouldn't do anything for me.
Terrible! Cd-Wow are usually great with customer service, too.
Old 01-27-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

In case anyone is interested, Starmax will also be releasing a limited edition of this film:

House of Flying Daggers Acrylic Case Limited Edition (DTS, 2 discs):
http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_d...tion/Adventure

Not quite as nice as the Edko LE, but it's also quite a bit cheaper.
Old 01-27-05, 09:15 PM

wow, it looks freakin' cool...maybe i shouldn't have gotten the Edko one...or maybe i'll get this one too (i've noticed guys using the term 'dip' as in double and triple 'dip'. is that when you buy more than one copy of the same movie, in a different form, as in the edko version AND this starmax version? if so, looks like i'm double dipping...
Old 01-27-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, for anyone who bought the 3-disc set and got a glitchy disc. I contacted CD-Wow about the possibility of exchanging just the 2-disc set found inside the box (including full keepcase packaging) for a comparable copy of that portion (which would be 100% identical in every way), but they were having none of it. Their options are to either return the entire 3-disc LE for credit/refund or spend the money on another copy of the 2-disc set on my own.

I've written and submitted a full review of the 3-disc set that should be posted here any day now.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.