Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One and only non-R1 Kill Bill news / reviews / discussion thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

One and only non-R1 Kill Bill news / reviews / discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,515 Posts
It's Japanese cut to be politically correct
Very true, and if you want to use an abbreviation, "Jpn" is the correct one to use.
Old 04-28-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
It's Japanese cut to be politically correct
What you see as politically incorrect, I see as just an abbreviation of a word. You people need to loosen up...
Old 04-28-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Political correctness aside... what version of KB is THIS? THAI? If it is... someone will be mighty pissed off for paying $52.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...185673060&rd=1

The auction is closed.
Old 04-28-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but I will post it just for anyone who is curious. Found it under the Kill Bill Vol 2, Region 2 Japanese edition from www.xploitedcinema.com

"This is the full uncut Asian version which includes the full color "House Of Blue Leaves" showdown. This is the only uncut Asian release. The Hong Kong, Korean and Thai DVDs include the same version as the US theatrical and DVD releases"
Old 04-28-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yesasia is $38.25. I believe you get it for a bit less ordering from amazon.co.jp, but not much, and you'd have to wait 2 to 5 weeks for it to arrive. Trust me, i've been to about 30 different sites checking around.... alas, no deals to be found.
Old 04-28-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally posted by DrGerbil
Yesasia is $38.25. I believe you get it for a bit less ordering from amazon.co.jp, but not much, and you'd have to wait 2 to 5 weeks for it to arrive. Trust me, i've been to about 30 different sites checking around.... alas, no deals to be found.
I think DVDasian.com (based out of california) has Kill Bill for 39.95, free shipping.
Old 04-28-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What you see as politically incorrect, I see as just an abbreviation of a word
What you see as an abbreviation, many would see as a racial slur. "Loosening up" wouldn't change that. I know you weren't directing a word towards a person, but its still kind of touchy. OK, preaching over.
Old 04-29-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

try emailing them..they respond promptly. The email address is on the website
Old 04-29-04, 07:39 AM

So, what is the region 2 version that CD Wow has? Uncut Japanese or something else?
Old 04-29-04, 09:21 AM

English dvd

George
Old 04-29-04, 11:10 AM

Thanks, Giorgio. So this is the British Region 2 as opposed to the Japanese Region 2. Ah well, I guess I'll wait till the inevitable special edition.
Old 04-30-04, 09:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Has anyone made up an English translation for the menu selections on the Japanese disc? I would love to have a copy as a reference, something to print out as a reference so I don't keep making the wrong choices.
Old 04-30-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could probably come up with something the next time I check out my disc, unless someone beats me to it in the meantime. The translation wouldn't be too difficult.
Old 05-01-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick "translation" (actually a combination of my kind of limited Japanese reading ability combined with guessing the obvious ):

Main menu:

Play movie
"Scene index"
Special features
Language/subtitle selection

Special features menu:

-Fight scenes selection
-Anime Making of.. doc
-Behind the scenes footage
-Anime/storyboard comparison
-Personel (which leads to another menu featuring "Staff list" and "cast list")
-Stills (which leads to another menu featuring "Photography" and Animation design sketches)
-Trailers
-TV spots
-"Main menu"

Fight scene menu:

-"vs. Copperhead"
-"vs. Crazy 88" 1
-"vs. GoGo Yubari"
-"vs. Crazy 88" 2
-"vs. Johnny Mo"
-"vs. Cottonmouth"

That's most of it. Words in quotes are direct translations of Japanese katakana or kanji characters, the rest is just an approximate translation.
Old 05-01-04, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by cultshock
Quick "translation" (actually a combination of my kind of limited Japanese reading ability combined with guessing the obvious ):
Would you be so kind as to try to translate the oval sticker on the DVD, which says something about Vol.2 and 3990 Yen. Also inside the covers there is something that mentions "Discount ticket" and Vol.2. Any idea what this discount ticket is good for ?
Old 05-01-04, 04:05 AM

Contrary to the IMDB.COM post of differences, I believe (in the R2 version) that after the Bride removes one of the 88's eyes, she forces it in another's mouth as he's running towards her with his mouth open giving a "yeahhh!" yell. (She doesn't "snake punch" him in the throat) If you look closely, you can see his left cheek (right side when you're looking at the screen) sticking out like there is something big and round in his mouth... It's a tough edit and could have been made a little easier to visualize, but that's why Sofie is wincing right after that...mmmmmmmm!!!

The anime part was so much better with the addition of the cut parts, and who else winces when the Boss' teeth grind so tight they shatter.....that gets me EVERY time..

The only thing that really bothers me about the film is the lame way that the Bride jumps from the railing around Johnny Mo and back to the railing, right at the end of the long fight sequence. It's too obvious she's being pulled around by cables there, it just looks wrong. I wish Quentin had fixed that... unless he did it for a reason I'm not getting.

Also, Sophie should have had no arms when she was rolling down the hill in the Japanese version, tsk tsk tsk Quentin...a little digital manipulation could have probably taken care of that in a quick.

I keep replaying the whole "House of Blue Leaves" scene though, it's one of the greatest action sequences in american film, in my humble opinion...aside from DiNero's last stand in Taxi Driver.

I can't even imagine going back and watching the region 1 version of the DVD after I've seen the movie in all this glorious color.

Thank You Quentin.
Vol 2. did not disappoint, but that's for another time....
Old 05-01-04, 05:06 AM

You can find our full comparison review of the UK, US and Japanese (uncut) releases of Kill Bill Volume 1 here.

Snippet:
After a 6 year wait, the return of Quentin Tarantino to the director's chair does not disappoint. Kill Bill is the ultimate fan-boy love letter to his countless influences, but is thankfully open and accessible enough for the rest of us to enjoy. Even though the story is only half way through, there is enough here to keep fans old and new happy, and the director is ably helped by a superb cast, and most of all by his muse, Uma Thurman.
Old 05-01-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
I've looked through several posts, and can't verify if the dvd in the box set R2 jpn version is the same dvd(s?) as the R2 jpn non-box version.

Anyone know? How many discs in each?

I've ordered both, and don't really want to open the box set.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-04, 02:41 PM

Yes they are identical in both sets.
Old 05-01-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by IDrinkMolson
I've looked through several posts, and can't verify if the dvd in the box set R2 jpn version is the same dvd(s?) as the R2 jpn non-box version.

Anyone know? How many discs in each?

I've ordered both, and don't really want to open the box set.

Thanks!
They are indeed identical... Considering the box is worth at least three times as much as the DVD, it would be a wise choice to keep the box sealed.
Old 05-01-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I shoulda bought both and left the box set sealed.
Old 05-01-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by matome
I shoulda bought both and left the box set sealed.
You know, i'm not sure i'm going to keep mine sealed. I want to watch the movie and that's the reason I bought it. Also, I don't expect prices to reach yesasia level... so there is no reason for me not to just open it and enjoy the damn thing!
Old 05-01-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, I didn't even consider NOT opening the box when I first got it, just so I could get the DVD in my player. However, everything looked so nice and cozy in the box, I didn't bother opening any of the inner seals. Hell, I even kept that little wraparound Japanese banner that was on the outside. I do have to say that big ass box looks way cool on my shelf with the transparent side facing out. So I don't think I could ever part with it anyway!
Old 05-01-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Out of curiosity, is the box sturdy? I ask only because I feel they might be crushed in transit...
Old 05-01-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, the box is made from a thicker stock than any of my other boxes. You can pinch the open end of the empty box and there is virtually no bending anywhere. The swing-out door even has a nice little fabric loop to pull it open with. Nice, heavy acrylic outer sleeve as well. It's solid!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.