Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One and only non-R1 Kill Bill news / reviews / discussion thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 12:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, in spite of Rogue588's best intentions, the factual thread and the other thread for the most part have ended up mirroring each other; meaning that the raison d'etre for having two has ceased.

Particularly in view of the multitude of threads appearing across the other forums, henceforth all the conversation on non-R1 Kill Bill DVD topics can stay here.

Thanking all those in advance who respect this local decision....

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk

Last edited by benedict; 04-24-04 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 12:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 938 Likes on 786 Posts
Can someone post some more info. on the SE version? what is so special about this 2-disc Benelux version besides the commentaries? and what is on the 2nd disk...the same stuff that is on the Japan version? what other extras are there as this would not make up an entire disc? something doesn't add up with this version...Hmm
Old 04-24-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
Can someone post some more info. on the SE version? what is so special about this 2-disc Benelux version besides the commentaries? and what is on the 2nd disk...the same stuff that is on the Japan version? what other extras are there as this would not make up an entire disc? something doesn't add up with this version...Hmm
What doesn't add up are two things...

1. We don't know for sure if the main feature is uncut.
2. We don't know the contents of the second disk.

Also, the price of the set including shipping is less than $30. I hate PAL speedup as much as the next man, but no one says i'm going to keep it! I'm sure someone here would buy it at a discount....
Old 04-24-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Awwww...so does this mean I can't start a "FACTUAL Benelux 2-Disc Kill Bill DVD" thread...

Old 04-24-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I found some info on the Benelux disc here

If anyone can translate this Dutch text maybe it'll help. From the looks of it, it looks as if the commentaries are actually on the Making Of on disc 2 (at least the QT and producer ones)...

Regie: Quentin Tarantino (Jackie Brown, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction)
Cast: Uma Thurman (Batman & Robin, Beautiful Girls, Pulp Fiction)
Lucy Liu (Charlie’s Angels 1&2, Chicago, Ally McBeal)
Darryl Hannah (Roxanne, Wallstreet, Splash)
Lengte: ca. 111 minuten
Leeftijd: 16 jaar

Extra’s op de DVD:
Disc 1: geanimeerd selectiemenu, hoofdstukindeling, trailers
Disc 2: The Making of Kill Bill (unieke blik achter de schermen, exclusieve beelden van opnames, commentaar regisseur Quentin Tarantino, commentaar hoofdrolspelers, commentaar producent Lawrence Bender); muziekclip van “5, 6, 7, 8” (‘Jayne Mansfield’ en I’m Blue’)

Technische specificaties DVD:
Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, widescreen anamorphic (geschikt voor alle beeldformaten)
Old 04-24-04, 03:33 PM

Guys,

I can confirm that the version shown in cinemas here in Holland had the black & white fight. It's true that there isn't any censorship here, but i think we just got what Miramax gave everyone else, except Asia... The same thing happened with Malena, we got the shorter U.S. version.

Honestly i wouldn't get your hopes up about the Dutch dvd. I think the commentaries are mistaken for interviews. I remember when Adaptation came out here, and on the back there stood 'commentary by etc.' , in reality, they were some 5 min. interviews!!!

What RCV (who has the rights to K.B. here) does a lot is take the Region 1 dvd of a movie, slap DTS on it, and put the minimal extras on the second disc. Region 1 already has DTS, so probably, the extras could fit on one disc. They did the same with The Fog last week, which doesn't even have DTS, but does have the same extras as the R1 dvd, and it is... a 2-disc!

BTW, I saw the beginning of the Dutch rental dvd this week, and 'Bang, Bang' sounded awful, way too fast!!!

I won't be buying it, 'cause i already have the Japanese box, but i will try to clear things up. But seriously, don't get too excited!

George
Old 04-24-04, 03:37 PM

See the post above my last one?

Commentaries on disc 2.... Just some interviews, trust me!!!

Needless second disc!!!

George
Old 04-24-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info! I would be damned pissed if I paid close to $30 for a high pitched version of the R1 DVD! Look out Japanese DVD, here I come...
Old 04-24-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the clarification Giorgio. Even though I couldn't translate it, I could kinda get the gist from it on what you said about the "commentaries". Sounds like a rip for that "second disc" of extras. I probably would've cringed with the PAL speedup, but it may have been worth it for true commentaries, until the big box arrives. Oh well, saved me some cash.
Old 04-24-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much does the Japanese DVD go for in US$?
Old 04-24-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I paid $77.19 for the Limited Box set from Amazon.jp with express shipping. A steal compared to what those who couldn't get in quick enough on the early preorders had to pay.

They also have the regular DVD for 2400 yen which translates to about $22 plus whatever shipping method you choose.

WELL worth it, if you have all-region capability.
Old 04-24-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by matome
I paid $77.19 for the Limited Box set from Amazon.jp with express shipping. A steal compared to what those who couldn't get in quick enough on the early preorders had to pay.

They also have the regular DVD for 2400 yen which translates to about $22 plus whatever shipping method you choose.

WELL worth it, if you have all-region capability.
Yes, but it's a marketplace item. Not sure if they will ship overseas. Also, not sure what the cost is for marketplace shipping...
Old 04-24-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
How much does the Japanese DVD go for in US$?
It goes for north of $35 shipped. The cheapest i've seen is $40 with shipping at dvdasian. It is $38.25 at yesasia, which isn't bad, so long as you pick up another DVD for free shipping. I wouldn't bother with amazon.jp unless the price were appreciably less... especially with their ~$7 (with coupon) shipping cost.
Old 04-24-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, not sure what you mean by a marketplace item, but I know that Amazon.jp ships overseas since I'm in New York! Only took two days too!
Old 04-24-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by matome
OK, not sure what you mean by a marketplace item, but I know that Amazon.jp ships overseas since I'm in New York! Only took two days too!
What I mean is that amazon.jp doesn't ship the item. It is much like a half.com sale, whereby an individual seller is shipping the item. Amazon.jp is charging 3192, with shipping (1500- 500 = 1000). 4192 Yen comes to $38.30, which isn't bad, but International economy shipping takes 2 to 5 weeks (according to them).
Old 04-24-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tried ordering, got this....

*** We're sorry. The item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button. ***

Which is the same problem I had when trying to order from a marketplace seller in the uk. Apparently, in the past few months, amazon has changed their policy so they no longer allow international customers to order from marketplace sellers. Thumbs up our asses....

Last edited by DrGerbil; 04-24-04 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 04:43 PM

i got my japanese box today, with zipper case. I watched it, now I'm goin out to see volume 2.
Old 04-24-04, 06:22 PM
Cool New Member

OK folks, i will help you out here....

There is NOTHING special about the Dutch 2disc version of Vol1.

It is the regular cut (with B&W Blue Leaves scene) and the second disc is only there so that the distributor RCV (remember that name cuz they s*ck!) can charge a few bucks more for this dvd. There is no higher bitrate, no extra scenes or different cut and no better extras.

...AND...they screwed up with the artwork as well...The bottompart is A-OK but they also added a very ugly yellow bar which tells us in an ugly font that this is a 2disc edition.

I am very glad that my copy of the R2JP Premium Box is on its way to my house right now!

(The last 2 movies that recieved a superior treatment on a Dutch dvd are Ichi the Killer and Mulholland Drive)
Old 04-24-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the cheapest price the box could be had for way back when was $62. IF you got in on that price, it's not all that bad in hindsight, especially since the DVD alone is around $40. It's actually tragic.. we think the Thai release will be uncut, it isn't, we think the Dutch DVD is uncut and has some kick-ass supplements, no dice! I've come to the conclusion that the R2 jp disk will likely be the only way to see the uncut version unless miramax decides (rather unlikely) to release an unrated cut of the film in a few years...
Old 04-24-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DrGerbil
What I mean is that amazon.jp doesn't ship the item. It is much like a half.com sale, whereby an individual seller is shipping the item. Amazon.jp is charging 3192, with shipping (1500- 500 = 1000). 4192 Yen comes to $38.30, which isn't bad, but International economy shipping takes 2 to 5 weeks (according to them).
Ok, I see what you mean now. I tried to stick it in my cart and it shows up at 3200yen + 2000yen shipping with Marketplace notes, which comes out to $46. I just assumed that the disc was coming from Amazon themselves since I can't read Japanese and I clicked on the price on their main listing page. What did they do, sell out of them all? I'm so glad I was able to nail down my Box preorder back in February!
Old 04-24-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The box is out of stock, but the standalone is in stock. If I knew that 2 to 5 weeks was really 7 to 10 days, I might bite...
Old 04-24-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well if you're willing to pay $40 for the regular jap DVD, you can get it from dvdasian.com. They have it in stock for $40 + 1.50 First Class shipping ($2.90 for Priority Mail). Best of all, they're located in the US. I've ordered from them before and they're great.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=bYhaZm8c

They also sell the Box set for $100, but if course they don't have any in stock.
Old 04-24-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, i've ordered from them before and they are great, but since yesasia has it for almost $2 less, I would probably get it from them along with another DVD for free shipping.
Old 04-24-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,539 Posts
Thanks to our Dutch posters for setting the record straight about that Dutch DVD.

Thats interesting about the Amazon.jp marketplace/used sellers. Although I've never bought anything that way and had it shipped to North America (just to Japan), based on my translation, I always assumed they could ship internationally. Maybe it depends on the individual seller (or like someone mentioned, Amazon changed its policy)?
Old 04-24-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
Thanks to our Dutch posters for setting the record straight about that Dutch DVD.

Thats interesting about the Amazon.jp marketplace/used sellers. Although I've never bought anything that way and had it shipped to North America (just to Japan), based on my translation, I always assumed they could ship internationally. Maybe it depends on the individual seller (or like someone mentioned, Amazon changed its policy)?
Yes, I remember ordering Trainspotting: DE from amazon.co.uk last fall. Last month, I tried picking up another DVD that way and the site didn't allow it... quite strange.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.