Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One and only non-R1 Kill Bill news / reviews / discussion thread

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

One and only non-R1 Kill Bill news / reviews / discussion thread

Old 04-27-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got my order from HMV.JP. checked my packing list, and noticed that in addition to the Y3600 shipping charge which i agreed to via email confirmation, they stuck me with a Y520 "packing charge". obviously, i was pissed, so i emailed them. they replied last night that it was a 5% handling charge (which is 5% of the merchandise PLUS shipping charge). i was never notified in advance of any "Packing or Handling charge" . maybe i missed the fine print somewhere? did anyone else who got their order from HMV.JP get hit with this?
Old 04-27-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anyone else think the DTS track sounds better on the R1 release, but, the picture looks better on the R2 JP release?
Old 04-27-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, noticed the differences you mentioned but they were pretty slight. The R1 DTS seemed a little louder and more enveloping. The color seemed to be a little more saturated on the R2, but I'm one of the minority who actually thought the R1 transfer was excellent.
Old 04-27-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by matome
Yep, noticed the differences you mentioned but they were pretty slight. The R1 DTS seemed a little louder and more enveloping. The color seemed to be a little more saturated on the R2, but I'm one of the minority who actually thought the R1 transfer was excellent.
I also noticed that the 'Beep' over The Brides name seemed louder on the R2 than on the R1 soundtrack.
Old 04-27-04, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
I assume you're in Europe, then? Most European TVs do not display true NTSC. They convert it to a format called PAL60 that is sort of a halfway point between NTSC and PAL. The processing generally reduces picture quality.
Yes. That's correct. Must be it. Thanks for the info. Guess they classify it as NTSC compatible when it infact does that converting thing.

EDIT:

On another note... Does anyone know if there's a complete list of the differences between the japanese version and the others ? I just noticed that in the scene where Vernita pours coffee for herself and Beatrix there is a close-up of the coffe mugs in the japanese version. I think there are other differences like this as well, where the same shot is made from a different angle. Anybody noticed this and/or knows if there is a complete and exact list of the differences. Call me a freak.. but I just want to know

Last edited by eMoneyBags; 04-27-04 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 01:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by eMoneyBags
Yes. That's correct. Must be it. Thanks for the info. Guess they classify it as NTSC compatible when it infact does that converting thing.

EDIT:

On another note... Does anyone know if there's a complete list of the differences between the japanese version and the others ? I just noticed that in the scene where Vernita pours coffee for herself and Beatrix there is a close-up of the coffe mugs in the japanese version. I think there are other differences like this as well, where the same shot is made from a different angle. Anybody noticed this and/or knows if there is a complete and exact list of the differences. Call me a freak.. but I just want to know
from imdb.com

Some prints of the film doesn't show the "Shaw Scope" intro.

Some prints of the film shows the "Written & Directed by Quentin Tarantino" credit before the final scene with the Bride in the Air-o-plane, and some have it right at the end.

The print which places the "Written and Directed ..." credit before the final scene has The Bride talking to Bill on the church porch fade to full color when she asks "How did you find me?", whereas the other print only colorizes her eyes and earrings.

There are two Japanese versions of the film, one with only Japanese subtitles only, and one with Japanese subtitles for the English dialogue and English subtitles for the Japanese dialogue. The House of Blue Leaves fighting scene is shown in color in both versions.

Quentin Tarantino prepared a more graphic version of the film for Asian audiences. Only a few minutes longer, the film includes several extra violent moments, a longer animated sequence, and the entire House Of Leaves battle in color, rather the black and white used in the U.S. R-rated edition.

There is a print or prints that excludes the overhead shot of the Bride and other dead wedding attendants being examined by police right after "Chapter 3: The Blood-Spattered Bride" appears. It also excludes the two shots that usually follow and cuts directly to Sheriff Earl McGraw pulling up in front of the chapel. Thus, Charlie Feathers' contribution to the soundtrack is not heard in this print.

On the DVD, the Bride's line, "I could see the faces of the ****s that did this to me and the dick responsible. Members all of Bill's brainchild - the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad." is altered to "I could see the faces of the ****s that did this to me. And the dicks responsible. Members all of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad."

In addition to reincorporating several violent shots, the uncut Japanese print of the film replaces the "Old Klingon Proverb" found in the US print with a dedication to the late Kinji Fukusaku.

The theatrical release included a flashback showing that Sofie Fatale (Julie Dreyfus) was also present during the attack on the wedding chapel which is deleted from the DVD release.

In most Asian prints of the film, for the scene at the end where The Bride is threatening Sophie, the audience can actually see Sophie's arm being cut off. In the North American release, there is only the audio for this as the scene fades to Sophie at the hospital.

In the Japanese version, the old Klingon proverb at the beginning was replaced with a dedication to Kinji Fukasaku: "This film is dedicated to master filmmaker - Kinji Fukasaku 1930 - 2003"

The UK DVD Release cuts the line "Luckily the boss was a pedophile" from the manga section.

The Japanese cut, while only a little over a minute longer than the US cut, features not only a full color version of the "House of Blue Leaves" fight, but some quick new shots in the anime scenes as well as some alternate footage, most cut/altered to avoid an NC-17 rating:
The opening scene between The Bride and Vernita Green has two alternate angles shown when The Bride asks for a towel instead of keeping the overhead shot.
In the anime sequence, one of Boss Matsumoto's men has his face smashed into a wall twice, rather then just once.
In the anime sequence, when O-Ren Ishii kills Matsumoto and tells him to look at her face, she asks him to look at more facial features (nose, chin. etc.) to be recognized, and then before pulling the knife out, there is a close up shot of her moving the knife up his stomach and then finally pulling it out. There are a couple of close up shots of Matsumoto's face as he's dying as well that were eliminated from the US print and then a pan up shot of Matsumoto's blood covered and disemboweled body.
The "House of Blue Leaves" fight is not only in full color, but features about 9 new shots missing from the US print which include:
A close up of the first female Crazy 88 (Julie Manase) gargling blood after being pinned to a wodden pillar by a sword. This shot, while cut from the US version of Vol 1, showed up in the end credits of the US cut of Vol 2.
A shot of The Bride stabbing two Crazy 88s at once using her own sword as well as another Crazy 88's sword.
A ten foot high super backflip that The Bride executes before landing back down to pop out one of the Crazy 88's eyes. This shot appeared in the TV spot teaser, but disappeared soon after.
The Bride jabbing a Crazy 88 in the throat with her "snake fist", and the partially armless Sofie Fatale giving a disgusted reaction.
A shot of another female Crazy 88 attacking only to get slashed in the throat and spraying blood everywhere.
The first appearance of the "Kid Crazy 88" (the one who gets spanked with the sword). In this shot, we now find out why he's missing a mask later on. As he's about to attack The Bride, she swipes his mask off. We see he's just a kid, and he gives the universal "don't hurt me" sign. The Bride has a look of shock on her face in realizing he's just a kid, so she grabs him, throws him across, knocking 3-4 Crazy 88 into a blood filled mini pool. This shot of the 3-4 falling, while cut from the US version of Vol 1, also showed up in the end credits of the US cut of Vol 2. Overall, this "mini scene" helps establish The Bride's look of surprise even more when she sees the young Crazy 88 the last time... and his follow up "don't hurt me" look even funnier.
A shot of a Crazy 88 getting slashed across the chest and spraying blood all over a wall.
When The Bride jumps onto the shoulders of one of the Crazy 88, after she slashes another one across the face, the Crazy 88 she's standing on tries to attack her from below. She parries the attack and cuts his hands off. The shot then cuts to the forward sommersault.
Since the fight is already in color, the close up "eye shot" of The Bride blinking is cut. Instead, the first part of the close up before she blinks is shown, however, at the point when she normally blinks, there is a replacement medium shot of her standing slightly fatigued and holding her sword out.
Finally, after the "House of Blue Leaves" fight, is the most infamous of the missing scenes and that is Sofie Fatale's extended "trunk interrogation" scene. After The Bride warns Sofie about cutting off something, instead of cutting back to Sofie in the hospital, The Bride is shown grabbing Sofie's arm and screams "GIVE ME YOUR OTHER ARM!". Sofie starts to panic, but then The Bride chops off her other arm, causing blood to splash onto the screen and Sofie begins screaming again

~

Another DVDTalk member detailed and talked about the coffee mugs shot which I cannot find.
Old 04-27-04, 01:55 PM

Cheers. Should've known ol' IMDB could be counted on. Although I think I checked the 'alternate versions' tab a while back and didn't see too many of the ones you posted. I'm too lazy to add the coffee mug thing to imdb though.
Old 04-27-04, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by eMoneyBags
Cheers. Should've known ol' IMDB could be counted on. Although I think I checked the 'alternate versions' tab a while back and didn't see too many of the ones you posted. I'm too lazy to add the coffee mug thing to imdb though.
yeah it's a new detailed description of the alternate versions of the film, within the last week or two since I hadn't seen it mentioned about a month ago.
Old 04-27-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giles

Another DVDTalk member detailed and talked about the coffee mugs shot which I cannot find.
It's in the other thread that was closed, and I can't quote it for some reason so the screenshot comparisons don't show up. He described the coffee cup scene with pictures. I'll paste the text in. If you want to see the pics click here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...0&pagenumber=3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEXT SPOILERS AHEAD

Here are my notes on the differences of the two discs. First off the runtime on the R1 disc is 1:50:36 and the R2 is 1:51:39, so we have an extra minute of footage in there.

On the R1 disc I noticed the layer change pause in the bathroom stall when the Bride peeks out to see Sofie. On the R2 disc, I have no idea where the change was since I didn't notice a pause anywhere.

The subtitles (when turned on manually) are always in the movie frame and not on the bars like the R1's are. However, they're just white now and don't have any distinction for Gogo and Sofie's subtitles like the original and R1 had. Not placed either, always centered. I like the R1's better.

I liked the menus on the R1 much better. The R2 has a cool intro but then begins to show scenes that give away too much IMO.

As for the differences that I could spot:

a) The Klingon quote at the beginning is replaced with a dedication title to Kinji Fukasaku

b) The first thing I immediately noticed caused me to run and check my R1 disc in parallel. It's a really wacky editing change that I can't figure out. When The Bride and Vernita first walking into the kitchen with the voiceover it's a ceiling-down shot. In the R1 it stays that way until Vernita hands the towel to The Bride and we go to a ground level shot. However on the R2 we get a cut to a closeup of the coffee cups being poured into then a ground level shot of the Bride asking for towels and Vernita going to the sink and picking them up. The dialogue is exactly the same so I have no idea what went on there.

R1

R2

c) In the anime section the guy who gets his arm snapped and head crushed into the wall by O-ren's dad, actually gets his head smashed twice with a nice closeup of it.

d) while O-ren is stabbing Matsumuto on the bed this is extended as she also says look at my nose, mouth, chin and all the while we get nice little shots of him gargling and the sword slowly moving up his chest. The far shot of her sitting on top of him is elongated and then we get a shot of him sliced open.

e) When GoGo slices open the guy at the bar, the camera lingers on the intestines on the floor instead of quickly cutting away.

f) At the House of Blue Leaves when the chick from O-ren's original crew gets stabbed in the chest at the bottom of the stairs we get a closeup shot of her gargling then spurting.

g) as for the big fight I noticed quite a few additions to this so I had to stop my parallel run. I would say a good chunk of the restored footage was added here. There's also a quick reaction shot of Sofie again.

h) The camera click for the return to color scene in R1 is not sounded here and we get a quick shot of the Bride standing in defensive position right before the light switch is thrown on.

i) The camera doesn't cut back to Sofie in the hospital when the Bride yells "Give me your other arm!" and then she cuts it off at the elbow.

That's about alll the changes that I could find. I didn't want to post too many pictures in case of spoilers. Anyway, I'm certainly glad to have the R2 version now, since it gives the movie a little more spice. Not that I won't throw in the R1 once in a while, since I did find the B&W fight to be quite cool in it's own way.

Last edited by ianholm; 04-27-04 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giles
from imdb.com

The theatrical release included a flashback showing that Sofie Fatale (Julie Dreyfus) was also present during the attack on the wedding chapel which is deleted from the DVD release.

I have the R1 disc (still waiting for my Box from Japan )) and I'm pretty sure they show the scene where Sofie answers the cell phone at the church.
Old 04-27-04, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by ianholm

e) When GoGo slices open the guy at the bar, the camera lingers on the intestines on the floor instead of quickly cutting away.

thanks for the link ianholm (as well as matome), I remember watching the disc last Friday night and noting this addition (which was very obviousily removed to avoid an NC-17 rating) as well. IMDB doesn't denote this.

what's cool about the colour 'House of Blue Leaves' sequence is that you can finally see some extra visual information that might have gone unnoticed if they weren't in colour - notably, the decapitation scene goes on in three subsequent shots, where the final audio cue is a rather loud 'thud' as the headless corpse falls to the floor. Two other slashed crazy 88's are sliced in the stomach simultaneousily and the blood sprays to such extreme as if synchorized - the whole sequence takes on a crazy whirlpool of action, blood, music and balletic to wild over the top porpotions.
Old 04-27-04, 03:38 PM

I have the R1 disc (still waiting for my Box from Japan )) and I'm pretty sure they show the scene where Sofie answers the cell phone at the church.
They do ... I just checked
Old 04-27-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did they show Sophie rolling down the hill to the hospital in the asian cut? I only ask because you can clearly see that she still has one arm, which made me think that the Bride merely threatened her. I keep thinking people are making that part up where her other arm is hacked off. Help me believe.
Old 04-27-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SuckaMC
did they show Sophie rolling down the hill to the hospital in the asian cut? I only ask because you can clearly see that she still has one arm, which made me think that the Bride merely threatened her. I keep thinking people are making that part up where her other arm is hacked off. Help me believe.
I assumed this: Since Sophie asked Bill to forgive her betrayal
and to a lesser extent, her dependence on cell phones, was evidence enough for me that the bride didn't remove her arm. Unless, of course, the Bride decided to hack her limbs off regardless...
I actually expected the extreme close up of Sophie's face to pull back, thus revealing her "deformed body"...
Old 04-27-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
In the color fight sequence you can also tell better where Uma's stuntman takes over. In certain shots I'd swear it was some Asian guy wearing a wig and make up.
Old 04-27-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SuckaMC
Negative, if you look closely it shows only half of her arm. The Bride cut off her other arm up to her elbow.
Old 04-27-04, 10:06 PM

I got this from the Japanese cut; I think readding the arm cutting made a continuity error

Old 04-27-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, I noticed that during the r1 version which made me think the info about Sofie losing the other arm was wrong...
Old 04-28-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone got the Thailand version?

Cheap but autenthic.

Thainetcity store
Old 04-28-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well it seems the Thai version is NOT the uncut version either. Got a lenghty email from DVDFROMASIA stating they found out AFTER they shipped them. They had instructions on getting a refund.
Got my refund in process so I since then have ordered the Japaneses uncut through Exploited Cinema..penny wise and pound foolish I was
Old 04-28-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's in the other thread that was closed, and I can't quote it for some reason so the screenshot comparisons don't show up. He described the coffee cup scene with pictures. I'll paste the text in. If you want to see the pics click here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...0&pagenumber=3

Here are the Vernita scene pics:

R1

R2

I have some more screencaps here.

Last edited by matome; 04-28-04 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-28-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what about the tounge pulling. in the region 1 version, the bride attacks a guy by attempting to pull a guys tounge out after he attempts to rape her. the cut is jarring, and was wondering if we see in full in the r 2 version.
Old 04-28-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
It's not his tounge, it's his lower lip - and the Jap-cut is exactly the same as the US cut.
Old 04-28-04, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by slop101
It's not his tounge, it's his lower lip - and the Jap-cut is exactly the same as the US cut.
It's Japanese cut to be politically correct
Old 04-28-04, 03:59 PM

well it seems the Thai version is NOT the uncut version either. Got a lenghty email from DVDFROMASIA stating they found out AFTER they shipped them. They had instructions on getting a refund.
Got my refund in process so I since then have ordered the Japaneses uncut through Exploited Cinema..penny wise and pound foolish I was
I ordered Kill Bill in DVDFROMASIA and I don't get an e-mail from them. What can I do to get the refund?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.