Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One-And-Only Malata Advice Thread [Part Three]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

One-And-Only Malata Advice Thread [Part Three]

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, the answer to this question may lie in the previous two parts but it's really late and from what i have looked at i can't find it so here goes...

i have watched many movies on my malata and they have all played just fine. then today i pop in a cd for the first time and it plays fine. so tonight i try to watch boogie nights but when i put the disc in the screen is zoomed WAY in to the point where only about the top half of the screen is showing and it is very distorted. i figure that somehow the cd messed things up but i just don't know which buttons to push to fix it after looking through my manual for about 10 minutes. any help would be apprectiated? oh yeah, it's not just the disc cause i also tried the american president as well and it was the same thing.
Old 03-09-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 202 Posts
Turn the power off on the machine(the power button on the machine), to reset all the settings. That should put everything back to default settings then you should be able to re-input the settings you had before for zoom x,y pan etc... Sounds like the setting went out of wack for some reason. The manual is of no help for basically anything.

Other answers for this can probably be found in the other Malata Problem busing thread(I think) http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=157611

Hope this helps!
Old 03-09-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the assist. it worked fine.
Old 03-10-02, 09:27 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Other Mediamatics chipped players have issues with some Hong Kong discs. My JVC does, though not quite as bad as the Malata.

I have stopped buying HK discs anyway, since they look like complete crap on my setup. Badly transferred, non-anamorphic, video encoded, low bit rate DVD's do not look even close to watchable on large screens.

Thankfully, they are improving over there. I think we are still about 2 years away from their reaching the standards we see in the U.S. and from Japan and Korea.
Old 03-10-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Matt Stevens

I have stopped buying HK discs anyway, since they look like complete crap on my setup...

Thankfully, they are improving over there. I think we are still about 2 years away from their reaching the standards we see in the U.S. and from Japan and Korea.
So you only buy films for their looks/presentation, not content?... Well, I'll say this, as someone who had to import bootleg vhs for many years just to see HK films, the DVDs (shoddy as they may be) are a vast improvement in price, image, and sound quality.

Besides, in the last decade, there are a few words just now making thier way into the HK Cinema vocabulary. Words like "F-Stop" and "Film Preservation". They have always had different quality standards.
Old 03-10-02, 07:07 PM

So you only buy films for their looks/presentation, not content?... Well, I'll say this, as someone who had to import bootleg vhs for many years just to see HK films, the DVDs (shoddy as they may be) are a vast improvement in price, image, and sound quality.
Words of advice: DO NOT put words in people's mouths. I never buy just for looks/presentation. Content is a must I must like/love the film. But I will not waste my money on DVD's that are not anamorphic, have low bit rates, or are incorrectly encoded as video instead of film because they will look like crap on my system. Having a large display reveals flaws that would be hidden even on 32 and 36 inch TV's. Add non-anamorphic to the mix and you have a recipe for a film that is unwatchable on a 47 inch widescreen set.

And as I said, they are getting better. SHAOLIN SOCCER is a step in the right direction. Same for the ZU sequel.
Old 03-11-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 256 Posts
I just received my Malata 996 and I was wondering if anyone has or knows if this following problem is machine related or DVD related.

This is occuring for some of my widescreen DVDs; half of the top part of the edge (where the picture meets the black bar) is fluttering, it keeps moving up & down during the entire film. It's only moves up and down a 1/4 of an inch or so but it is distracting. Sometimes the bottom edge flutters too.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Old 03-11-02, 10:48 AM

Wrong filter setting. For NTSC use SMART and if that has issues (rarely does) use MOVIE. For all PAL use STILL. That gets rid of the flutter.
Old 03-11-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 256 Posts
Thanks Matt I'll try that tonight.
Old 03-12-02, 04:21 PM

can Malata N996's play DVD-R disks?
Old 03-12-02, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mark Cowherd
can Malata N996's play DVD-R disks?
I have two dvds that are dvd-r and they play fine on my Pioneer, but that really start to artifact badly and are almost unwatchable on the Malata, so I guess that might be a no.
Old 03-13-02, 01:01 PM

yes dvd-r

i play dvd-r's all the time with no problems. i've played apple, tdk, and verbatim dvd-r, with no problems. and pioneer dvd-rw and a generic brand dvd-rw with no problems. these discs have been of movies i've burned from scratch where i completely author the whole dvd and also from straight copies of dvd's, all with no problems. the only time i ran into a problem was when i copied a dvd with no audio ts folder, it wouldn't play in the malata. but the original dvd with no audio ts folder played just fine, but not the copy, it sends it into the mp3 mode/file reading mode. i've burned all the dvd's with toast and/or dvd studio pro.

i have had problems with vcd's i've made from scratch on the malata. they play with a a constant, slight chirping, beeping sound to them. only on vcd's i've made from scratch, meaning captured, edit, encode to vcd my self, commercial vcd's i've copied or vcd's my friends have made on the pc side that i've copied play just fine, but some thing about vcd's i make on the mac the malata doesn't like. because on the computer the files play just fine and on my pioneer and my friends pioneer (different model) and apex the vcd's play just fine, with no beeps.

pants
Old 03-14-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I've read all 3 threads. Unless I missed it, this is new/unanswered.

Actually 2 questions:

1) Has anybody got a good solution for remote macros to turn the machine on or off? Since there are no discrete codes, I've been trying to find a series of buttons, but the Malata is so slow that they really aren't convenient. Play and another button or 2 turn the machine on, but it always takes like 10 seconds before another button can be pressed. This kinda kills the "Play, Power" method to do a discrete off; or the "Play, Stop" method for discrete on.

2) And this comes from my fiddling above. What is happening when you press Stop when the unit is off? The spinning disc comes on the display, but not much else happens. It seems to be in some sort of wait mode.
Old 03-16-02, 03:11 PM

Last edited by AXP 103; 03-16-02 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-17-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Does anyone have an opinion on the Malata N960 player?

I've read all the relevant threads and see that everyone appears to think highly of the Malata N996.

Any opinions at all would be appreciated on the N960.

Thanks
Old 03-19-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I've got two of the MK2 Truffuat Box Sets and I played Jules and Jim this past weekend and the Subs were off sync and way to fast. I tried all the Sub settings to fix the problem, but no luck. Just wanted to see if anybody had these problems with the same MK2 Truffuat DVD's... I thought they'd be encoded well. I haven't had any other problems with French DVD's with Subs also and I've got the Nov firmware.
Old 03-20-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
Words of advice: DO NOT put words in people's mouths.
Just asking a question, hence the question mark on my comment. No big deal, no offense meant, question answered.
Old 03-20-02, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Heliosphann
So I've got two of the MK2 Truffuat Box Sets and I played Jules and Jim this past weekend and the Subs were off sync and way to fast. I tried all the Sub settings to fix the problem, but no luck. Just wanted to see if anybody had these problems with the same MK2 Truffuat DVD's... I thought they'd be encoded well. I haven't had any other problems with French DVD's with Subs also and I've got the Nov firmware.
When I watched them I think only some subs went by really fast such as one word answers or comments and also when someone spoke fast, but for the most part they were fine.
Old 03-21-02, 03:21 AM
Cool New Member

Does Malata do DVD-AUDIO???

I'm wondering if anyone was able to confirm/try if the Malata N996 can decode DVD-AUDIO discs properly?
Old 03-21-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got my Malata, and was wondering if anyone had a full listing of sound/video settings that they used to get great performance. I was testing it out with Gladiator, and while the picture was good, it wasn't the equal of my 3 or 4 year old Sony. Ditto the sound, which wasn't as full or lively as the Sony's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

(and yes, I have looked for other threads but the information if there is widely scattered)
Old 03-22-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 192 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Heliosphann
I only noticed a slight sub speed up on Vivement Dimanche

I watched the whole Antoine Doinel box, no sub problems. I still haven't watched Jules & Jim

Ted
Old 03-23-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by speedy1961
Does anyone have an opinion on the Malata N960 player?

I've read all the relevant threads and see that everyone appears to think highly of the Malata N996.

Any opinions at all would be appreciated on the N960.

Thanks
Matt or anybody have an opinion on the player listed above?
Old 03-24-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2nd Opinion Requested: Malata & Marvin Gaye Forever Yours DTS CD

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has the Marvin Gaye Forever Yours DTS CD that has played it on a Malata N996. When I play the CD on my Malata, it has a 1 second dropout about 3 or 4 seconds into the first track. Everything else is fine. The odd thing is when I put the repeat option on and came to the 1st Track after playing the last, there was no dropout. Am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or not. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 03-24-02, 07:43 PM

Here's a problem I haven't heard about yet. MY Malata 996 has started completely freezing up for no reason. The only way I can do anything after (even get the DVD to eject) is turn off the player with the power button on the player. Has anyone had this kind of problem iwth the Malata 996 yet?

I've had the player since it was first offered at AVDeals so it's well under a year old and shouldn't be dying already. Has anyone had to send anything to AVDeals for repair? How is there repair service if you did? Thanks.
Old 03-26-02, 10:03 AM

Damn that sucks carnifarn. Did you get the player with the upgrade or before?

I just received my player on Saturday!!!!!! I hope I don't have any major problems with it. I really love this player.

On the subtitles front , I thought I would give my take on it. I am sure everyone has already figured this out but if not. I got the Dragon Inn Tai Seng dvd. On my tv the second line of subs get half cut off using my old dvd player. When I stuck it in the Malata it seemed like the subs were a little higher but were still getting cut off a little bit. I tried the pan feature and raised the image up. I had Always on in the subpicture menu. The subs came up with the image. The higher I raised the image the worse the timing on the subs got. I started lowering the image back down and the subs started speeding up. I turned off the pan features and the subs went back to normal. Maybe it has something to do with the zoom , pan or x/y scaling features? I am a tech idiot so that's probably not it. Just thought I would share. Maybe that will help someone.

I have a question. ( Probably the first of many ) Is the red light on the front of the player that says Malata supposed to stay on all the time? I turn off the player using the remote so it won't lose my features but that red light stays on even with the player off. Is that good for the player? Thanks.

Clint

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.