Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Provisional One-And-Only Malata Problem Busting Thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt, are you saying that EVERY time I watch ANY dvd, I need to zoom out 2 clicks??
Old 09-22-01, 09:33 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No. Remember, the setting you make will stay there unless you yourself put it back to the default, or turn the player off with from the button ON the player.

Turn the player off with the remote and whatever settings you have made stay put. That's the beaty of the player. You can set it the way you like and then leave it.
Old 09-22-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matt, how did you know the zoom default was set 2 clicks too much? And why is this?
Old 09-22-01, 12:00 PM

I talked with someone in the know. Cannot reveal the source. I then compared the overscan of the Malata to my Toshiba to confirm and my source was 100% correct.

Again, just click out twice and youare all set. Going to the default just requires hitting the OK button.
Old 09-22-01, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matt, you need to find out from your "source", #1, if there are any discrete codes for the Malata, and #2, if there is any way to reset the defaults so that you could click out 2 on the zoom and set it as the default.
Old 09-23-01, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
Changing the defaults will alter the picture from where it should be. Especially the Gamma setting.
Using the AVIA disc (with my crappy JVC which defaults to red +20%) I have found that my Malata spits out even more red than my last dvd player (Pioneer DV-414 I think it was) and I had to adjust the Gamma to 8 to tone it down a bit.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Is it possible to open the tv and tame the beast? Otherwise the tv is not bad and I got it for a good price - if those damn Sony HDTV tube tv's did not weigh so much I would have the 36 incher!
Old 09-23-01, 03:44 PM

Patrick, as I have said already, zoom out and then leave it there. As long as you do not change it back yourself, it will stay that way. This isn't hard. Just put it where you want it and leave it. Shut the player off with THE REMOTE and you are fine. Mine has been set two clicks out for over a month now.

Every DVD player out there will send out a slightly different signal in regards to red, green & blue. It's the way things are.
Old 09-23-01, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will the zoom be reset if there is an interruption in power? Or is it only affected by the pushing of the power button on the front of the machine?
Old 09-23-01, 07:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apropos of nothing....

Matt, from what I have read you've only had this machine yourself for a few weeks.

Did you achieve all your knowledge of it through trial and error?

( I believe that someone referred to you as a "scientist" in an earlier post!).
Old 09-24-01, 09:57 AM

I've had it for exactly two months now. A lot of my info was just through talking with avdeals and then doing as they said. I also spent a great deal of time experimenting.

Which is what I recommend you all do. I don't mind answering questions, but to answer the same question over and over, folowed by more questions that are directly related to the former question, come on already! Just try it yourself. It will be faster for you to say, unplug the machine, replug it in and check the zoom settings, than to come here and write a post asking me.

And the anser is yes, it will go back to the player's default.
Old 09-24-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It will be faster for you to say, unplug the machine, replug it in and check the zoom settings, than to come here and write a post asking me.
Actually, this is not true. It is MUCH faster for me to post that question. My entire system is plugged into 2 surge supressors, which are tucked together behind the system. I would have to pull 1 speaker and 1 A/V cabinet out, just to get back to the surge supressor. Then, I'd have to put them back, making sure everything is aligned/spaced correctly, just as it was before. It's a real pain. Besides, I didn't need an answer immediately. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions though, I really appreciate it.
Old 09-24-01, 05:05 PM

desperate for help on malata!

I just bought the Malata, and the machine is so cool! The only problem that I have now is that I don't have a picture at all!!!!

I was playing around with the options and I just wanted to see what would happen if I chose progressive scan on the common users menu.

Well I don't have a progressive scan tv, and when I chose that option, the screen blanked out. Everytime I turn the power back on "MALATA" logo comes up and then goes back to the blank blue screen.

Please somebody help!
Old 09-24-01, 05:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Some semi-educated guessing in advance of the gurus coming online....

http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm says:
TO RESET THIS MACHINE TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING
Press Clear and hold till machine powers down,
Press clear again, press pro , press clear, press play.
Machine will be setup to factory defaults"
or....
Originally posted by late_but_earnest
Well I picked up my component cable today and hooked my Malata up to my Tau.

I got a blank screen.

I called the dealer that I bought the Tau from and He suggested that I look for a component video input switch on the tv.

He didn't know where it was though.

I couldn't find it on the remote and after a couple hours of screwing around I found it on the front of the tv.

I switched the malata to progressive, chose the correct video mode and voila!

I had pizza!

Thanks for the advice, guys.
or....Seriously! Click here!
Old 09-24-01, 06:10 PM

With the unit on, hold the SUBPICTURE button on the remote for 5 seconds to shift between interlaced and progressive mode. (Pg 16 of the crappy owners manual)
Old 09-24-01, 09:23 PM

thanks

thanks alot guys!! I got my picture back.

Hey and for changing regions, avdeals says only 2 keypresses but I have to do 4, is it same for you guys?

this is what I do

clr
power on
region #
play

am I doing it correctly?
Old 09-25-01, 10:04 PM

malata picture has jagged edges?

When I play a movie on the malata, the picture for slants (like for cars) the display seems as if the car has jagged edges along the slant. Does anyone know if this is normal? Or better yet, how do I fix it?

This is on an NTSC dvd non-anamorphic.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-26-01, 08:52 AM

Try turning down the sharpness settings of your TV.
Keep it very low, like 10% or 2%

Play with the filter... R1 NTSC DVDs should use Smart, but Movie may help....

J.T.
Old 09-26-01, 09:12 AM

What DVD? What TV? What cables are you using/ What is the Video Filter set to? What is the sharpness on your TV set to? Contrast?
Old 09-26-01, 09:29 AM

I'm playing China Strike Force DVD

I have my settings to Camera 1, I tried movie and smart, but for some movies it "combs" when there is fast motion.

The contrast and sharpness are in the original settings I believe, but I'll check again.
Old 09-26-01, 12:27 PM

I've only seen this problem on PAL DVDs but I also have a regular JVC 30" TV.

On a side-note, what is the best video filter to use? I've tried SMART but it didn't seem better. What would everyone recommend?
Old 09-26-01, 02:04 PM

I use camera 1 or 2, I don't see any difference. It eliminates teh combing. (combing is when horizontal lines appear on the picuture during fast motion right?)

What's teh diff between cam 1 and 2?
Old 09-26-01, 03:46 PM

Camera 1 & 2 are the absolute worst filters to use for movies. Those filters are designed for video based material or photos. They will make everyting look jagged. I have demonstrated this to people on my 47" HDTV and everyone saw a huge difference.

SMART is the correct Filter setting for NTSC DVD's, however, with Hong Kong DVD's, sometimes STILL or MOVIE must be used, as those DVD's are so amateurishly mastered. Many times the NTSC transfers are actually converted from PAL masters, but improperly, resulting in ghosting and artifacts, which are then made worse by the cheap MPEG2 encoding Hong Kong studios favor.

Try another DVD. A good title from a major studio and stick your player in SMART mode. MOVIE mode does the same thing, actually.

Turn your TV's sharpness below 10% and make sure your color is not too high. Use S-Video or Component cables and NOT composite.
Old 09-26-01, 03:58 PM

what is the difference between component and composite? is the component one with r g b?

And if I choose either of the options, what are the video settings?

I played The Corruptor DVD on all modes, and I noticed that all of them have "combing" on scenes with quick motion. For example, when Bobby Vu tells his lackey to kill the cop, the slaps him and then it goes to the next chapter, during the slap, horizontal lines appear on his face. This happens for everything except for camera options.
Old 09-26-01, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is anyone NOT having DTS audio problems with the Malata?

I just finished watching half of Twister - DTS, when I had to turn it off due to the constant audio dropouts. Is there a firmware upgrade or any kind of fix in the works for this? If not, I'm getting rid of this essentially "defective" player.
Old 09-26-01, 05:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

For the time being all the Malata "techie" threads are being combined here.

At some point a member may be putting together a basic FAQ.

Until further notice please post your questions to this thread only.

Benedict
[email protected]
Moderator, International DVD & Movie Forum

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.