Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Provisional One-And-Only Malata Problem Busting Thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Provisional One-And-Only Malata Problem Busting Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-01, 08:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sinister Ash, if you check earlier in this thread, you will see that I have posted the correct settings. For all "PAL" DVD's, you need to set the Filter to STILL. This will illiminate the combing.

For all other NTSC stuff, set it to SMART. If you are watching an NTSC DVD and there is combing, the DVD has the wrong flag and switch to the Movie filter.

EbonyKat, You're welcome. Tryt he DVD on your DVD-Rom (if you have one). I am not sure if this DVD is R0 or R2 though, so if it is Region 2 and your DVD-Rom is not region free, it won't play.
Old 10-03-01, 10:06 AM

hey matt, I saw your earlier posts about the settings, but I tried "Movie" filter, and there still is combing for shaolin soccer. I have it on interlaced as well. I've tried "movie, still, smart" and those three options have combing. I know that you said that the "Camera" filters are the worst, but it seems to eliminate the combing. Do you have the shaolin soccer disc? Is it possible that my disc is defective or the malata for that matter?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-01, 11:08 AM

Who released that title/ Is it PAL or NTSC? One problem with many of these asian films is that they are released in versions that are badly encoded, with the wrong flag. The DVD may be encoded with a "Video" flag of instead of a "film" flag. The Camera filter is set for video sources like VHS, etc (concert dvds).
Old 10-03-01, 02:02 PM

shaolin soccer is the dvd from Universe, it is NTSC all region anamorphic. It's the disc that everyone's talking about with the unremovable icon during the special effects.

do you have the same problem?
Old 10-03-01, 09:21 PM

I don't have the disc, so I can't comment. But since it is from Universe and anamorphic, it may be bad encoding since they are new at anamorphic transfers. I wish I had an aswer for ya.
Old 10-03-01, 09:53 PM

well if you ever do get the disc, let me know how it goes! Your help's appreciated.

anyways you should check that movie out! It's one of my favorite movies now. it's worth it if you're into HK films.
Old 10-04-01, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guys, what color is the screen saver on your Malata? This will probably differ a bit, depending on how well your monitor is calibrated. But mine is purple? Is yours purple, black, gray, ???
Old 10-04-01, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Franchot

I believe the "initial" one on mine is blue. There is another one that is purple where cut-out "stars" appear and reappear. There are several screen saver screens I've discovered. (I believe you access them by pressing the "Angle" button when you are in the Stopped mode.)
Old 10-06-01, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting Malata to output to VCR?!?!

I can't seem to get my Malata to output to my VCR using the regular yellow/red/white cables. What do I set in the menu to do this? I just get a blue screen and not a picture.

Many thank yous in advance!
Old 10-06-01, 04:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

Nosebleed, as you can see, I've moved your question to the dedicated thread which was created to avoid cluttering the forum with numerous separate questions and to act as a resource for all the knowledge posted. I don't recall just now if the question was already asked.

Let's hope there is a Malata owner/user who can assist.

Benedict
[email protected]
Moderator, International DVD & Movie Forum
Old 10-06-01, 09:54 PM

Nosebleed, just a hunch, did you turn on the VCR? You have the Malata out into the VCR right? You probably have to turn your vcr on and choose the line that the malata has been put in. Beware though, when watching dvds with macrovision through your vcr (from the malata) will give a distorted image. Better to just connect the malata straight to the TV.
Old 10-10-01, 02:40 PM
Cool New Member

I am thinking about getting a Malata player. What does everyone think of the quality? Better than outputting from my PC to my TV? Also, it seems like everyone is struggling to set it up correctly. Is it hard to get it to look good? I would just print this thread out and try different settings according to what you've all posted. Also, where is the cheapest place to get one? I found a place online 110-220volts that has them for $329. Is that high? Also, how's the NTSC quality for it? Is the quality better on a regular DVD player or are they the same that I should sell my current player? Thanks.
Old 10-10-01, 03:07 PM

I noticed that some DVDs comb when played on the malata. but when that happens just choose camera 1 or 2 for filter. Basically the malata can play everything nearly perfect, and it doesn't detect what's the best filter to be used for specific dvds. Therefore you have to change the filter once in awhile. But that's not much to ask, when the player will play almost anything you throw at it. Well worth the investment.
Old 10-10-01, 03:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

luna, don't know about cheapest, but details of suppliers have been asked for and provided already:

It really is worth using the search function and/or opening up a few threads IMO: those links were posted in the "Upgrading to Region Free" thread just two days ago and it remains on the front page as I type....
Old 10-10-01, 07:13 PM
Cool New Member

I have a feeling that the problems lie on the fact that this is a progressive scan player. I've been reading postings/reviews about other progressive scan players, but all of them seem to have some problems. Progressive scan is still a baby, so it's impossible to get the perfect out of it as of yet. Keeping it in mind, I guess Malata is a pretty solid player (with a great picture quality) and I don't have troubles while watching "most" of the DVDs in my collection and from rentals.

One thing, though, the overall picture seems a bit too bright, so I have to turn the brightness of my TV down quite a bit, that affects the brightness of other sources (TV and VCR).
Old 10-11-01, 11:50 PM

audio Trouble

I tried two region 1 dvds. Both are doing the same. Either the sound menu is ok the first time it runs. When I play the movie the first time, there's no sound. I have to stop and resume one or two times before getting sound. Anyone can help me out here? Is that a set up problem? I hooked my Malata with an optical jack.
Old 10-16-01, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would all Malata owners please post whether or not they are having problems with "The Phantom Menace" DVD, specifically right after the THX intro. Thanks.
Old 10-16-01, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patrick G
Would all Malata owners please post whether or not they are having problems with "The Phantom Menace" DVD, specifically right after the THX intro. Thanks.
Yup, right after the THX thing, it stops, and says something like "command failed". I just hit "play" then, and the movie starts, and plays through, fine.
Old 10-16-01, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Patrick G
I'm seeing that error.
Old 10-16-01, 07:42 PM

Phantom Menace is a known problem, AVDeals is hammering Malata to get a fix RIGHT NOW.. what I posted over on avsforum..

---

Just got off the phone with AVDeals.. they have the screws to Malata in China to get this fixed! They already received one firmware upgrade but unfortunately all the menus turned to Chinese (?!). An upgraded firmware is expected within a week (or less)..

- if you have a firmware upgradable machine, it will be a d/l and burn.
- if you don't instruction will be given to enable the upgradability (soldering required)
- if you don't feel comfortable with an iron, then they will do a motherboard swapout (5 screws)
- if all else fails, send it in for upgrading

very up front guy and had an informative talk, they are holding several hundred machines hostage on Malata to get this done.. and that includes the new 900 machine (take away the progressive and zoom and fine twich adjustments, ie. a good bedroom machine if you have a lot of multiregion titles) that they won't sell till this is resolved.

Oh.. and this will fix the Stargate SG-1, season 3 discs also...
Old 10-16-01, 08:24 PM

I'm not sure if this URL will work but if so here's the avsforum thread Londo referred to. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=85483
Old 10-16-01, 09:53 PM

I have the R1 Malata, so will I still be able to apply the firmware patch? I hope it's not just for the R0 machine. Otherwise, the machine is really not all that it's cut out to be.
Old 10-16-01, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sinister Ash
I have the R1 Malata, so will I still be able to apply the firmware patch? I hope it's not just for the R0 machine. Otherwise, the machine is really not all that it's cut out to be.
Why isn't it? They said on their website that the R1 wasn't firmware upgradeable with a CD. Also, having to push play once more to watch Star Wars doesn't really lessen it's abilities too much in my eyes.
Old 10-16-01, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by Sinister Ash
let's try this again..

- if you have a firmware upgradable machine, it will be a d/l and burn.
- if you don't instruction will be given to enable the upgradability (soldering required)
- if you don't feel comfortable with an iron, then they will do a motherboard swapout (5 screws)
- if all else fails, send it in for upgrading

if you have a R1 machine.. you fall in catagory 2, 3, or 4 yes?
Old 10-17-01, 02:36 PM

just wish full thinking that I could just d/l the patch... looks like I'll have to send it back probably, I don't think I could solder the system....

Man, when there's one incompatible dvd, there's gonna be another, so I hope this will be fixed out soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.