Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Provisional One-And-Only Malata Problem Busting Thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Provisional One-And-Only Malata Problem Busting Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They said the upgrade will include a CD-R and some soldering.....
Old 10-18-01, 08:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just call avdeals and ask them which one you have. Problem solved. Anyone can send theirs in to avdeals to be upgraded, region 0 or 1.

ALL DVD players have issues. It happens. The MALATA is new and has more features than any other player on the planet, so there will be glitches. I am not worried.
Old 10-19-01, 08:47 AM

AVDeals have stopped shipping Malatas

(I thought I would post this here rather than the Hardware forum, since most of the discussion of Malatas seems to occur here.)

You can read about it yourself here: http://www.avdeals.com/damnmalatas.htm

Since I had just ordered one a couple weeks ago, I spoke with someone at AVDeals yesterday. He said, quite frankly, that it is not looking too good. They have been after Malata for months to do firmware upgrades because of "lots of little problems". Apparently, The Phantom Menace was the straw that broke the camel's back. He said if they don't get some cooperation and action from Malata, they will stop carrying the machines entirely. A determination should be made within a week.

P.S. Anyone want to buy some HKL PAL discs???
Old 10-19-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: AVDeals have stopped shipping Malatas

Originally posted by Skorp
P.S. Anyone want to buy some HKL PAL discs???
Which ones? Give me an email if you are really looking to get rid of them .
Old 10-19-01, 11:27 AM
Cool New Member

Can you remove forced subs?

I searched and couldn't find any info on this subject for the Malta, so if it has come up before, sorry.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can remove "forced" subtitles with the Malta. And if you can, please explain how to do it. The new French DVD of "The Killer" has the forced French subs on the uncut Taiwanese version, but if you are able to remove them, you can watch it with the original English/Chinese subs.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-01, 11:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

I think Matt Stevens posted his guess here: link
Old 10-19-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow.

I'm not sure now whether I'm glad or not for not buying this player (lack of funds).

I really wanted the capability to play discs from anywhere. I hope all of you get your upgrade and that it fixes the issues.

AVDeals seems to be trying to do the right thing. The web address for the announcement is hilarious...
Old 10-19-01, 12:43 PM

Skorp, what discs did you buy?

Avdeals does not want to stop selling this player. They are just making a point with Malata that they need to do that firmware upgrade in English, not just Chinese. So everybody needs to calm down. I will be greatly surprised if Malata says "screw it." They will be slitting their own throats.

I do not regret my purchase one bit and would buy a second one for my bedroom if my prettier half wouldn't yell at me for it. Damm women always want to be sensible.
Old 10-19-01, 01:17 PM

AV have stopped shipping Malatas

I live in Canada and AV deals told me about 3-4 weeks ago they were thinking of getting out
of the Malata game not due to firmware but rare because of returns from the USA

Customers that sent units back from the USA seemed to put the wrong values etc on the paper
work causing them to loose large amounts of dollars in taxes, and duties being collected by
customs.

I don't know how valid all this is but I was told that on the phone.
Old 10-19-01, 01:27 PM

Re...

I am also very happy with the Malata.
It's not like it blew up or anything. If the only problem I have is with the Phantom Menace, that's fine with me.
Without the Malata, I could never have watched decent versions of movies like POLICE STORY and ARMOUR OF GOD.
The Phantom Menace is just a high profile movie. There are JVC models that don't show the subtitles so it's not the only player having problems with them. As for the crash, it's not that big of a deal. The problem is that a high percentage of people who have purchased the Malata will wind up either owning or renting The Phantom Menace. This means headaches for AVDeals. If they can fix the problem now, they won't have to worry about future returns of the player.

Vanian
Old 10-21-01, 10:16 AM

Malata and Star Wars

Has any one with a Malata had any problems with Star Wars:TPM. Every time I have played it, it locks up right after the THX logo. If I manually choose the chapters and watch it just past that I have no problems. I have no other player to check this on. Is it a defective disc or my player?

On a side note, it seems every DVD I have will make loud cracking noises when I skip between different items on the menu or when the music on the menu is done and it starts over again. It seems that the cracks come out from a different speaker each time. I am using a digital coax with a Sony receiver. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-01, 12:11 PM

AVdeals no longer shipping Malatas

Hello all -

I was just curious as to when the last batch of malatas went out of AVdeals' doors... I ordered one on Sept. 25, and still nothing almost a month later. Has anyone received their player with an order date later than mine, or is my order likely cancelled?

Before everyone tells me to call AVdeals to ask about my order, know that I will do this as soon as I get home. I just haven't had much luck getting in touch with them, and I'm curious about people's luck with pre-stoppage orders...

Thanks.
Old 10-24-01, 11:53 PM

How long is the turn around time for AVDeals generally? I'm speaking about after all the firmware problems are taken care of like it seems that they are almost according to the website. If I intend on getting the player before christmas how soon should i order or is this already a mute point as I should have already had one ordered? Thanx for any help.
Old 10-25-01, 02:00 AM

New Information on the Malata firmware upgrade..

Freshly posted on the www.avdeals.com site...

MALATA DVD SHIPPING DELAY

The Malata DVD-N996 has had problems playing certain discs
and we have been awaiting a firmware upgrade to rectify these
glitches.

Malatas Engineering Dept has assured us we will have a
complete upgrade by NOV 1st. We are holding all shipments until
we have a upgrade.

Link Here
Old 10-30-01, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the Malata to actually display Avia's 16:9 test patterns in 16:9 mode instead of 4:3 with the black bars on the sides? This is most annoying, especially when trying to adjust overscan.
Old 10-30-01, 07:56 PM

Nope. It's AVIA's fault. They set it with the wrong flag.
Old 10-30-01, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not Avia's fault, is it? I mean, my previous Toshiba 5109 never had a problem with this disc. Neither did the 2 other players I've used this disc on.
Old 10-31-01, 10:18 AM

The Toshiba (and other players) do not have the Malata's function of displaying non-anamorphic DVD's properly on HDTV's that FORCE a squeeze for 480p material. Avia, at the time, didn't bother to use that special flag, since no players around could do that. Of course, the feature was known to be part of the DVD spec, so Avia should have included it.

No huge deal, but slightly annoying.
Old 11-01-01, 02:07 PM

Malata shipping delay continues/AVdeals

Looks like those of us waiting for our malatas from AVdeals may be waiting a bit longer....

The /damnmalatas link mentioned above in this thread has been updated - now our new deadline for info is Nov. 7 (from Nov. 1st). I know that AVdeals is doing the right thing in forcing malata to fix the bugs, but I also really want my player! I guess this will teach me to wait until receiving necessary hardware before ordering software for it : )

AVdeals update excerpted below:

"
MALATA DVD SHIPPING DELAY UPDATE

The Malata DVD-N996 has had problems playing certain discs and we have been awaiting a firmware upgrade to rectify these glitches. Malatas Engineering Dept has stated they have completed a upgrade and are just fine tuning it to ensure that it is completely bug free. They have assured us we will have a completed upgrade by NOV 7th. We will be posting the firmware and instructions when we receive it .

Please excuse the inconvenience this delay may cause."
Old 11-01-01, 05:19 PM

well that's good news that the fix will be avail by the 7th. I wonder how those of us who have the player will have to fix our players?? do you think we'll have to send it bacK?

oh yeah and something i noticed, if I do not use the malata for a while I cannot turn the player back on by remote. The power button on the malata itself is pushed in, so normally we should be able to turn it on and off from power button, correct? But like a few days later, I tried turning it on with the remote and it didn't work.

what I had to do was press the power on the player, so it went completely off, and then push it back in for my remote to work again. Does anyone have this problem?

Is this normal?
Old 11-01-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sinister Ash
well that's good news that the fix will be avail by the 7th. I wonder how those of us who have the player will have to fix our players?? do you think we'll have to send it bacK?

oh yeah and something i noticed, if I do not use the malata for a while I cannot turn the player back on by remote. The power button on the malata itself is pushed in, so normally we should be able to turn it on and off from power button, correct? But like a few days later, I tried turning it on with the remote and it didn't work.

what I had to do was press the power on the player, so it went completely off, and then push it back in for my remote to work again. Does anyone have this problem?

Is this normal?
That's happened to me a couple times. I just had to push the button out and then it worked again. Some people said that if you do that then all your settings in the Malata will be reset, but I've found that isn't true. I really wish the Malata had a better remote. The one they give us is such a flimsy, poorly-laid out piece of crap.
Old 11-02-01, 09:35 AM

Mine is used daily, so I don't know.
Old 11-07-01, 02:44 PM

Malata patches available today? Has malata extended the wait for the patches?

A moderator adds: your question now looks to have received a modicum of response in Londo's thread: here.
There is now a part two for continuing Q&As for those having a Malata or interested in its quirks: here.

Last edited by benedict; 11-09-01 at 04:09 PM.