Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Four Flies on Grey Velvet - UHD/BD; Severin Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 11-19-22, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,303 Likes on 851 Posts

In addition to The Five Days, Severin Films is releasing another Dario Argento film that’s never gotten a proper DVD, Blu-ray, or Ultra HD release in the US till now. This is part of their Black Friday extravaganza.

**** BLACK FRIDAY TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT #8****

FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET (1972)

LIMITED EDITION WEBSTORE ONLY 4-DISC SET

4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)

This third feature from writer/director Dario Argento – the final film in his legendary ‘Animal Trilogy’ – has long been the least-seen of his giallo classics…until now: When a rock drummer (Michael Brandon) accidentally kills a stranger, he’ll unlock a nightmare of blackmail, paranoia and grisly murder that climaxes with “arguably the most visually impressive sequence in any of Argento’s movies” (Scream Magazine). Mimsy Farmer (AUTOPSY), Jean-Pierre Marielle (THE PERFUME OF YVONNE) and Bud Spencer (THE 5-MAN ARMY) co-star in this “horror holy grail and one of the great works of post-modern dread ever” (PopMatters) co-written by Luigi Cozzi and featuring a nerve-jangling score by Ennio Morricone, with both The Director’s Cut and English Language Version now fully restored in 4K from the original 2-perf negative.

Special Features for FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET:

Disc 1: UHD
  • Exclusive Slipcase
  • Audio Commentary With Mondo Digital's Nathaniel Thompson And Troy Howarth, Author Of So Deadly, So Perverse: Giallo-Style Films From Around the World (Director's Cut Only)
  • Italian Trailer
  • US Trailer
Disc 2: Feature Blu-ray
  • Audio Commentary With Mondo Digital's Nathaniel Thompson And Troy Howarth, Author Of So Deadly, So Perverse: Giallo-Style Films From Around the World (Director's Cut Only)
  • Lord Of The Flies – Interview With Co-Writer/Director Dario Argento
  • The Day Of The Flies – Interview With Co-Writer Luigi Cozzi
  • Italian Trailer
  • U.S. Trailer
Disc 3: Special Features Blu-ray
  • Have A Talk With God – Interview With Actor Bud Spencer
  • Please Mr. Postman – Interview With Actor Gildo Di Marco
  • Death In Slo-Mo – Interview With Assistant Cameraman Roberto Forges Davanzati
  • Time Flies – Interview With Production Manager Angelo Iacono
  • Dissecting Flies – Interview With Film Historian Antonio Tentori
  • Flies On The Wall – Interview With Alan Jones, Author Of Profondo Argento
Disc 4: Soundtrack CD - Original score by Ennio Morricone

Disc Specs for FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET :
  • Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
  • Audio: Director's Cut: English Mono With Partial Italian Mono, Italian Mono / English Language Cut: English Mono, Italian Mono
  • Subtitles: English
  • Closed Captions: English SDH
  • Region: All
Old 11-19-22, 07:13 AM

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,205 Posts
Re: Four Flies on Grey Velvet - UHD/BD; Severin Films

"LIMITED EDITION WEBSTORE ONLY 4-DISC SET" So does this mean it won't be sold elsewhere? Do they usually have non-limited editions? I don't need the CD.

MSRP will be what... $55? Ugh. This won't be on sale at all during the BF stuff right?
Old 11-19-22, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 775 Likes on 597 Posts

Day 1!
Old 11-19-22, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Too bad Arrow couldn’t get this. That’s not a knock on Severin, I just like the matching Argento titles.
I’ll definitely grab this immediately.
Old 11-19-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
"LIMITED EDITION WEBSTORE ONLY 4-DISC SET" So does this mean it won't be sold elsewhere? Do they usually have non-limited editions? I don't need the CD.

MSRP will be what... $55? Ugh. This won't be on sale at all during the BF stuff right?
It won't be discounted but will be available to preorder. And yeah, I'd take that statement to mean that this specific edition is limited to Severin's online store, and it may even just be the packaging that's limited. They've released plenty of standard editions that still included a soundtrack CD. Like basically everything from Severin, it should be widely available after a few months, at least in some form.
Old 11-20-22, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

MSRP will be what... $55? Ugh.
Oh, and yeah:
  • Four Flies on Grey Velvet [4-Disc Limited Edition 4K UHD + Blu-ray (2) + CD Soundtrack w/Exclusive Slipcover] $55/Region Free **PLEASE NOTE: This is a Limited Edition Webstore Exclusive.
  • The Five Days [3-Disc 4K UHD + Blu-ray + CD Soundtrack w/Slipcover] $42/UHD: Region Free/Blu: Region A
  • Accion Mutante [2-Disc 4K UHD + Blu-ray w/Slipcover] $34/Region Free
  • The Dogs [Blu-ray] $24/Region A
  • I Miss You, Hugs & Kisses [Limited Edition 2-Disc Blu-ray w/Slipcover] $28/Region Free
  • Blood on Melies Moon [Blu-ray] $24/Region Free
  • The Devil’s Game [2-DIsc Blu-ray] $28/Region Free
  • Sex is Crazy [Blu-ray] $24/Region Free
Old 11-25-22, 12:34 AM

PLEASE NOTE: THIS ITEM WILL BE AVAILABLE ONLY DURING OUR BLACK FRIDAY SALE. IT WILL NOT BE SOLD ELSEWHERE.”

I’m still confused by this. This limited set is only available this weekend? Has there been any on just a standard version? I want to get this, but it just feels like too
much…
Old 11-25-22, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I’m still confused by this. This limited set is only available this weekend? Has there been any on just a standard version? I want to get this, but it just feels like too
much…
They haven't explained what that means. I cannot imagine a scenario where this wouldn't get a standard release, although this is the edition I would've bought anyway, so I'm okay with being exploited a bit.

I'm even more annoyed that their policies page listed Accion Mutante at $34. I would've bit at that price, but not at the $45 it's actually going for. I'll wait for a sale down the road.
Old 11-25-22, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 240 Likes on 188 Posts

Severin is frustratingly cagey about this stuff. I suppose it makes sense for them economically to create a sense of FOMO with these newer releases in this day and age. They want to engender that nagging perception that a 'standard edition' might not be forthcoming, and also FOMO if you don't grab this right now at essentially full price, and loaded with things you don't really need, will only watch once, and/or which are all presented in (over-)designed packages solely to look pretty in your hands. It sometimes feels like 4K is becoming an opportunity to fleece collectors into buying super-expensive, seemingly ultra-limited editions that may indeed be one-time offerings — with no separate Blu-only version, and for films that are made no better or worse by the treatment, only sharper and more colourful. I've noticed some of the new Vinegar Syndrome titles are like this too, obscure-ish minor cult items that suddenly Must Be Important® because they're only available in a 4K combo pack! Mind you, I've noticed, in both sales this year, the occasional uber-deluxe 4K edition that still haven't sold out ages after release, so at least there's some chance of a discount on them for those who favor the format. EBOLA SYNDROME seems to be a good example, where the slipcovered 4K still has 'over 1000' in stock, but the standard edition keeps hovering in the low hundreds to nearly sold out, depending on what week you check the listing (obviously, the reverse it true for other titles).

Last edited by Brian T; 11-25-22 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-25-22, 06:22 PM

It's really getting out of hand.

I forgot I had that $20 GC from last year, so that took the sting off slightly. I'll try and sell my old DVD to make up a few bucks too.
Old 12-01-22, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 775 Likes on 597 Posts

Got a shipping notice for this yesterday afternoon.