Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Godfather Trilogy - 4K UHD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 12:21 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Bullmoose recently added a listing for this: https://www.bullmoose.com/p/35317663...digital-copy-r

The date is just a placeholder.

Francis Ford Coppola has revealed that The Godfather is coming back to theaters in 2022 with a new 4K remaster that enhances the sound and image quality of one of the greatest movies in the history of cinema. The film will return to theaters for the film's 50th anniversary, giving fans the perfect opportunity to celebrate The Godfather in grand style. He mentioned this during the Paramount panel at CCXP Worlds 2021.

In 2020, Coppola recut the third chapter of The Godfather trilogy, taking it back to theaters in 4K with a new mouthful of a name: Mario Puzo's The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone. Fans wondered if a disc version of the restoration would also be released, but Paramount underlined how the latest recut would only be available in 2022 as part of a new Blu-Ray box containing 4K versions of the entire trilogy.

While the Ultra HD Blu-Ray set of The Godfather trilogy would already be the perfect gift to celebrate the franchise’s anniversary, the commemoration will be even better now that the beloved first chapter of the franchise will also be available in theaters. While other directors have altered their films before they returned to theaters, Coppola confirmed at CCXP Worlds 2021 that he did not change the film.

First released in 1972, The Godfather follows the Corleone’s mob family, as the youngest son Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) goes from a reluctant outsider to the ruthless mob leader. Based on Mario Puzo 1969’s novel of the same name, The Godfather won praise from the public and critics alike, being nominated for eleven Academy Awards. The Godfather took three Oscars home, including Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Actor for Marlon Brandon.

The success of The Godfather led Copolla and Puzo to start the production of a sequel immediately. The Godfather Part II was released in 1974, surpassing all expectations. Just like the first movie, Part II was nominated for 11 Academy Awards, but it ended up winning six Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay. The Godfather Part III would only be released in 1990, bringing a definitive end to the saga of Michael Corleone. Unfortunately, the third movie was not as well-received as the first two parts of the trilogy, getting only seven Academy Awards nominations and losing in all categories.

There are no details yet about when The Godfather 4K restoration will hit theaters. However, since the first movie was released on March 14, the chances are good that we’ll be watching the classic in Ultra HD at the beginning of 2022. In addition, the disc release of the trilogy will likely arrive as the film returns to theaters.
https://collider.com/the-godfather-t...-4k-rerelease/
Old 12-20-21, 03:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Godfather Trilogy - 4K UHD

I bought these eons ago on iTunes, so I guess they’ll be upgraded to UHD. That’s enough for me unless there’s a ton of new stuff, I see no need to buy another physical set.

And no, we won’t be getting The Godfather Saga in this new set. Not as long as Coppola is alive.
Old 12-20-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I'm not a superfan of these films, my DVD set (second version) will suffice for now, but I would be interested in buying the chronological cut on disc. I hope that gets some kind of release with the 50th anniversary push.
Old 12-20-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I have the DVD box set and have thought about many times of getting one of the many Blu-ray box sets. But I’ve always been hesitant. With a 4K set likely coming out next year, I’ll just wait for that. But honestly even though these are considered classics with the exception of 3, these are not movies I watch all the time.
Old 12-20-21, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Love the first and second one. I like the 3rd one as well. I never bought these films on disc. However with 4K I'll make the exception IF they are reference or near perfect picture quality.

I can't believe how late they are coming out with these films on 4K disc.
Old 12-20-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I bought these eons ago on iTunes, so I guess they’ll be upgraded to UHD. That’s enough for me unless there’s a ton of new stuff, I see no need to buy another physical set.

And no, we won’t be getting The Godfather Saga in this new set. Not as long as Coppola is alive.
The trilogy was on sale right now on iTunes so I went ahead and bought them with that anticipation.
Old 12-20-21, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Definitely will be picking these up!
Old 12-22-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Will Part III be the new Coppola cut or the original theatrical version (or the final director's cut that first came out on VHS)? Honestly, I didn't care much for the new Blu-ray version that came out last year - or at least I prefer the prior release a bit more.
Old 12-22-21, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I'm more interested in the first one. It means more to me. Not sure if I'll get the set or wait for individual movies.
Old 12-22-21, 08:59 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Will Part III be the new Coppola cut or the original theatrical version (or the final director's cut that first came out on VHS)? Honestly, I didn't care much for the new Blu-ray version that came out last year - or at least I prefer the prior release a bit more.
My guess is that it will be the Coda cut only. iTunes only carries Coda and while Vudu has the theatrical, it’s not for sale. Thankfully I bought it a long time ago (I think I might have even done D2D for it).
Old 12-22-21, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
My guess is that it will be the Coda cut only. iTunes only carries Coda and while Vudu has the theatrical, it’s not for sale. Thankfully I bought it a long time ago (I think I might have even done D2D for it).
The theatrical cut is an extra on iTunes.
Old 12-22-21, 10:28 PM
Banned by request

Ah, good to know. Not an extra on Vudu however.
Old 12-23-21, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I will buy it either way. But it better fucking have both cuts.
Old 12-23-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

The absolute ultimate set would include Parts 1 and 2 like we've known and loved them for years, a chronological cut of 1 and 2 with as many extra scenes added as can fit, and then all three cuts of part 3 (theatrical, home video and the new Coda version). Not sure if Coppola would allow everything, but surely there's a fanboy at the studio that wants to make it happen.
Old 12-23-21, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The theatrical cut is an extra on iTunes.
Is it the theatrical cut or the original home video cut? I don't believe the actual theatrical cut was ever released on home video.

Godfather III is a unique scenario where Coppola was way behind schedule and could not complete the movie in time for its contractually mandated Christmas theatrical release. He slapped something together to get it out the door, but continued to work on editing the film even as it played in theaters. The home video release the following year was the first appearance of his final cut, and became the default version for all future releases of the movie until the "Coda" re-tinkering recently.
Old 12-24-21, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Technically even the 2008 4K restoration of Part 1 (and Part II) is altered, since some scenes were badly damaged.

In a few cases, a shot was salvaged by using pieces of camera negative that hadn’t actually been used in the movie. For example, there was a very badly damaged shot of Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) in his hospital bed, with the camera looking up at him from the foot of the bed. Using camera reports and the editor’s line script, Harris was able to find the trims of the take that contained the footage used in the movie. He had the remainder of the take scanned, and with Yarbrough’s help, he found a portion in which Brando’s chest was rising and falling in sync with the clip that was used in the movie, and replaced the original clip with the new one.
Robert Harris said he wanted to make the finished product even better, but certain film stocks didn’t exist for what he was looking for:

“There are occasional shots in the first two films, maybe a dozen in 175-200 minutes, where the Premier grabs the blacks and drags them down a little too much. But I feel the sins of Premier were far outweighed by its positives.” After a pause, he adds wryly, “To be honest, I would have liked to print on Vision 2391 — which doesn’t exist.”
This is a great read:

https://theasc.com/ac_magazine/May20...cus/page1.html
Old 12-24-21, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Is it the theatrical cut or the original home video cut? I don't believe the actual theatrical cut was ever released on home video.

Godfather III is a unique scenario where Coppola was way behind schedule and could not complete the movie in time for its contractually mandated Christmas theatrical release. He slapped something together to get it out the door, but continued to work on editing the film even as it played in theaters. The home video release the following year was the first appearance of his final cut, and became the default version for all future releases of the movie until the "Coda" re-tinkering recently.
it’s a good movie that could have been great. If they hired a real actress and not Sofia and paid Duvall WHAT HE DESERVED, it could have been a masterpiece.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-24-21)
Old 12-24-21, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

As iconic as they are these aren’t films I revisit often. I have the Blu-ray trilogy as well as the individual release for The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone.

Probably good enough for me unless the 4K set sees a large price drop eventually.
Old 12-25-21, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You're right; it's the original home video cut. I didn't look beyond where it said play Godfather: Part III.
Old 12-26-21, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Oooh, looking forward to this. These will be beautiful in 4K.
Old 12-30-21, 04:35 PM
Cool New Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Not exactly brimming with confidence HDR is going to bring any improvements to Sofia Coppolas peformance in part 3.
Old 01-12-22, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 01-12-22, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

And that is the official artwork on the Amazon link.

This will be mine and it's coming out pretty soon.
Old 01-12-22, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

It seems the collector's edition got 3 cuts of Godfather III while the
regular edition regular edition
only got Coda. That truly sucks ass.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Sonic; 01-13-22 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-12-22, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Amazon pulled the pre-order links. I did put in a pre-order for the regular edition before it was pulled. I'm sure they are just waiting for Paramount to officially announce it with a press release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.