Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Old 08-21-23, 01:45 PM
  #301  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,872
Received 357 Likes on 273 Posts
Re: The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

The first one is the best one, but INSPECTOR WEARS SKIRTS couldíve easily been a four-film collection. In part because the sequels are fairly decent but unlikely to get individual releases from 88, and in part because Iíve never been able to get my hands on third entry, THE RAID ON ROYAL CASINO MARINE.

Didnít 88 already release BATTLE CREEK BRAWL? Thought I had that already.

I also thought somebody put out MAGIC CRYSTAL already, but Iím probably thinking of the Panorama HK disc. Thatís actually more of a kiddie film, and poorly written (with lazy lifts from E.T., RAIDERS, and ALIEN), but it does have about ten solid fight sequences to make up for that.

BLUE JEAN MONSTER is just nuts, and overdue for some recognition in the west outside of HK fan circles.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-21-23 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-21-23, 01:52 PM
  #302  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 43,508
Likes: 0
Received 4,070 Likes on 2,759 Posts
Re: The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Brian T
The first one is the best one, but INSPECTOR WEARS SKIRTS couldíve easily been a four-film collection. In part because the sequels are fairly decent but unlikely to get individual releases from 88, and in part because Iíve never been able to get my hands on third entry, THE RAID ON ROYAL CASINO MARINE.

Didnít 88 already release BATTLE CREEK BRAWL? Thought I had that already.
I think the third Inspector films wasn't Golden Harvest, so it isn't with Fortune Star. I think it is with Mei Ah now, so maybe something could be worked out if eventually.

Yes, they put out BCB previously. The first 4 Jackie Chan films they released are being re-released in deluxe editions, better transfers, new Kung-Fu Bob artwork, etc. Two down, two to go.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 02:02 PM
  #303  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,872
Received 357 Likes on 273 Posts
Re: The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
I think the third Inspector films wasn't Golden Harvest, so it isn't with Fortune Star. I think it is with Mei Ah now, so maybe something could be worked out if eventually.
Good point. Considering the number of HK singles that shouldíve been sets, I suspect it will be an ongoing issue. Kind of unfortunate that these companies seem to just be sticking to the Fortune Star catalog, rather than holding out and pressing hard for deals to unite disparate series titles, but I guess they gotta go with what they can get. Maybe some day, but for the SKIRTS films, I wonít hold my breath. Iím a little surprised they didnít at least try to include PART II, since theyíll inevitably capitalize on the Jackie Chan connection to the first half of the series anyway.
Old 08-21-23, 02:43 PM
  #304  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,673
Likes: 0
Received 816 Likes on 573 Posts
Re: The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Brian T
Good point. Considering the number of HK singles that shouldíve been sets, I suspect it will be an ongoing issue. Kind of unfortunate that these companies seem to just be sticking to the Fortune Star catalog, rather than holding out and pressing hard for deals to unite disparate series titles, but I guess they gotta go with what they can get. Maybe some day, but for the SKIRTS films, I wonít hold my breath. Iím a little surprised they didnít at least try to include PART II, since theyíll inevitably capitalize on the Jackie Chan connection to the first half of the series anyway.
I think it's partially a rights situation and partially a question of available transfers. I can't speak to the Inspector films specifically, but Fortune Star has been methodically rescanning large swaths of their catalog over the last number of years. I'm not sure something like Inspector Wears Skirts even had a new 2k transfer available when 88 started in on all of these HK titles 5 or so years back (or whenever it was). It wouldn't surprise if the sequels haven't received new scans yet.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (08-23-23)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.