DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   I Can't Believe It's STILL Not on Blu ray (or 4K)! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/652081-i-cant-believe-its-still-not-blu-ray-4k.html)

Shannon Nutt 12-29-20 02:16 PM

Re: I Can't Believe It's STILL Not on Blu ray (or 4K)!

Shoot to Kill

Josh Z 12-29-20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 13863707)
Shortbus (this also needs a Criterion release--though I don't know if they take on titles this explicit)

Criterion released Salo and Antichrist. I don't think this would be a problem for them.

lisadoris 12-29-20 04:02 PM

I'm waiting on Arsenic and Old Lace which seems like a nobrainer for Criterion at some point. I know it will probably never happen at this point but I'm still crossing my fingers for Eve's Bayou too.

Josh-da-man 12-29-20 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13864907)
Also, regarding Buffy, would they go back and put the first few season back in 4x3 like Whedon wants? He said the widescreen transfers ruined a lot of scene compositions.

All seven seasons should be in 4:3, with the exception of the episode "Once More, With Feeling." It's the creator's intended aspect ratio.

But even more egregious than the aspect ratio is how badly they fucked up things like the lighting; scenes that were supposed to take place at night were brightened up to look like they take place in daylight, and other stuff. It's really a godawful mess.

PatD 12-29-20 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13865089)
All seven seasons should be in 4:3, with the exception of the episode "Once More, With Feeling." It's the creator's intended aspect ratio.

But even more egregious than the aspect ratio is how badly they fucked up things like the lighting; scenes that were supposed to take place at night were brightened up to look like they take place in daylight, and other stuff. It's really a godawful mess.

It's a shame the Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu ray sets didn't do as well as they should have. It was the most ambitious project in the history of home video. Despite some extremely minor flaws, it was a triumph that should have been a watershed moments for classic shows (like M*A*S*H or Buffy the Vampire Slayer) to get the proper HD treatment.

Red Hood 12-29-20 09:58 PM

Dick Tracy is technically on Blu-ray but it's just a barebones disc, similar to the DVD release. Don't know why Warren Beatty and Disney haven't been able to do a proper release for this film, which was a cultural phenomenon back in the early 90's.

The Warriors theatrical cut hasn't been release on BD and the DVD has been OOP for years now.
Disney's Three Musketeers recently got a BD release but only as a Club exclusive
Angus, a film that was a TNT classic during the late 90's and early 2000's, only a DVD release as part of the WB Archives and doesn't have a blu-ray release.

PatD 12-29-20 10:20 PM

M*A*S*H (the series) should be released on Blu ray. The series was shot on film. Quantum Leap and the Adam West Batman series were shot on film and released with the ORIGINAL MUSIC on Blu ray a few years back. M*A*S*H was cultural phenomenon/ Emmy-factory and one of the most important TV series in the history of the medium. Freaking Little House on the Prairie has a Blu ray release. There's no real excuse for M*A*S*H not to be released on Blu ray. None.

Red Hood 12-30-20 11:07 AM

Ed. I know the show has trouble with some music rights but it's ridiculous that it has never ever been released on any format.

bacigalup 12-30-20 12:06 PM

Would love to see this John Candy flick come out on Blu ray:

Only the Lonely (w/Ally Sheedy, Jim Belushi, Maureen O'Hara & Anthony Quinn)

& also the two he made with Tom Hanks:

Splash
Volunteers

TomOpus 12-30-20 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13863836)
Criterion is putting it out in March.

Sweet. I need to follow that thread more often. Since I only buy 4k physical, kinda abandoned it. I'll definitely get the blu for this.

Bluelitespecial 12-30-20 02:09 PM

I want Hamburger the Motion Picture and Elves to be given blu-ray releases. They are pretty obscure titles but I think they would be perfect for a company like Vinegar Syndrome to release.

LorenzoL 12-30-20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by bacigalup (Post 13865399)
Would love to see this John Candy flick come out on Blu ray:

Only the Lonely (w/Ally Sheedy, Jim Belushi, Maureen O'Hara & Anthony Quinn)

& also the two he made with Tom Hanks:

Splash
Volunteers

I'll be up for Only the Lonely. A very underrated John Candy film.

PhantomStranger 12-30-20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 13865186)
M*A*S*H (the series) should be released on Blu ray. The series was shot on film. Quantum Leap and the Adam West Batman series were shot on film and released with the ORIGINAL MUSIC on Blu ray a few years back. M*A*S*H was cultural phenomenon/ Emmy-factory and one of the most important TV series in the history of the medium. Freaking Little House on the Prairie has a Blu ray release. There's no real excuse for M*A*S*H not to be released on Blu ray. None.

The biggest show missing on Blu-ray is easily Seinfeld. They already have beautiful HD masters and the show still draws huge syndication ratings. The show's owners think selling discs of Seinfeld would hurt its streaming/syndication ratings. Now I don't think we'll ever get it on BD.

Red Hood 12-30-20 07:47 PM

To this day, I can't believe that Mighty Mouse hasn't been released on DVD or Blu-ray. Or any of the Terrytoons for that matter.

JeffTheAlpaca 12-30-20 08:03 PM

CB4

The Program 1994 James Caan football movie

Just Like Heaven a Mark Ruffalo Reese comedy.

Panic Room

milo bloom 12-30-20 10:56 PM

TV on Blu just doesn’t sell well enough. Look at Star Trek TNG. They did all that work and the discs sales were crap because streaming took off like crazy around that time.

dvd-4-life 12-31-20 07:34 AM

Smilla's Sense of Snow

dex14 12-31-20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13865709)
Just Like Heaven a Mark Ruffalo Reese comedy.

rotfl

milo bloom 12-31-20 01:08 PM

Has anybody mentioned the chronological version of Godfather 1+2 ? There's apparently already a hi-def master for TV viewings, but no disc.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-01-21 03:17 AM

Maybe it will be released on 4K?

Is it on HBO Max?

Two for the Money the 2005 Pacino McConaughy movie

BuddyRevell 01-01-21 09:37 PM

Sword And The Sorcerer. !!:grumble:!!

dsa_shea 01-02-21 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13863746)
Clifford (Martin Short)

I found out that this was just released on blu ray by Scorpion. Already ordered a copy.

Ricochet with Denzel Washington, John Lithgow and Ice-CarShield-T.

Red Hood 01-02-21 08:46 AM

A chronological release of the Looney Tunes cartoons.

milo bloom 01-02-21 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13866871)
A chronological release of the Looney Tunes cartoons.

I’d love that too but there’s probably too many early ones that are black and white and don’t have recognizable characters for the casual fans.

What I’d accept as a compromise would be discs that have them mixed up like they were on the Saturday morning cartoons. I get tired very quickly of watching 10 of the same character in a row like the Golden Collection DVDs did.

Bluelitespecial 01-02-21 03:01 PM

I'd love to see a blu-ray release of both seasons of The Mandalorian as everyone seems to say it decent and worthy to be alongside the rest of the real Star Wars movies but Disney doesn't seem to want to put it out on physical media or other streaming platforms. I don't have the means to get Disney Plus.