DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   I Can't Believe It's STILL Not on Blu ray (or 4K)! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/652081-i-cant-believe-its-still-not-blu-ray-4k.html)

PatD 12-26-20 09:23 PM

I Can't Believe It's STILL Not on Blu ray (or 4K)!

I don't know if anyone has made a thread on this, but in case they haven't: here's a thread about movie titles you are shocked on aren't on Blu ray (or 4K) for one reason or another. Blu ray has been around for what? 15 years? There are so many titles that are shockingly absent.

My number one pick:

The Abyss (we don't even have an anamorphic DVD version and it's been over 20 years since the DVD release!)

Others:

True Lies (get it together, Cameron!)

Man on the Moon (this is SCREAMING for a Blu ray release, especially in light of the documentary made about it recently)

American Splendor

Mr. Holland's Opus

Strange Days (1995)

Idiocracy
(This is one fo the biggest cult films of the last 20 years. It's practically a gimme.)

Top Secret! (I actually thought this one was out, but lo and behold, it's not. We just got Police Squad! on Blu ray released and Airplane! re-released. Come on, Paramount, this Zucker Bros classic needs a BD/4K release)

Real Life (1979) (The Muse is on Blu ray, but this prophetic Albert Brooks film isn't. It needs a Criterion release STAT)

Shortbus (this also needs a Criterion release--though I don't know if they take on titles this explicit)

Superman II: The TV Version (they released the TV Version of Superman I, it's high time they do the same for II. Warner would make a good chunk of change if they did)

Sicko (They have put out almost every one of Michael Moore's films out except this one and the lesser known The Big One.)

The Original UNCUT, UNALTERED Star Wars Trilogy (dare to dream...)

What are your picks?

TGM 12-26-20 09:45 PM

Re: I Can't Believe It's STILL Not on Blu ray (or 4K)!

Something Wicked This Way Comes

OldBoy 12-26-20 10:03 PM

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/49...lu-ray-28.html

dsa_shea 12-26-20 10:31 PM

Clifford (Martin Short)

PhantomStranger 12-26-20 10:52 PM

There's a simple answer for Superman II (extended television cut). Warner has no idea where the suitable masters are located. They got lucky when they accidentally found the original film elements for the full extended Superman: The Movie version. They think the masters exist but it would take a lot of work finding them. Some people have been seeing hints they are working on some sort of special edition for Superman IV.

It's still shocking to me we haven't got Quick Change on Blu-ray. There are few Bill Murray movies left that haven't hit BD, much less one of the funnier ones.

story 12-26-20 11:36 PM

I'm still surprised we don't have Pink Floyd: The Wall on Blu-ray, at least region 1. That seems like a no-brainer, I wonder what the hold-up is.

Paul_SD 12-27-20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13863757)

It's still shocking to me we haven't got Quick Change on Blu-ray. There are few Bill Murray movies left that haven't hit BD, much less one of the funnier ones.

Yeah, that one is a real puzzlement.

Redford recorded a commentary for The Candidate prior to 2008 and every presidential election cycle since I've expected Warner to release it.

Wuthering Heights ('39) is another classic that took forever to show up on DVD and still hasn't progressed any further.

I don't understand why Cohen hasn't chosen to exploit the French T&A potboiler L'année des méduses (Year Of The Jellyfish). They took time to cut a trailer for it a couple years back touting it as part of their holdings, but no physical release on any format. At the very least I'd think it couldn't help but subsidize their more esoteric art-film fare.

andicus 12-27-20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13863773)
I'm still surprised we don't have Pink Floyd: The Wall on Blu-ray, at least region 1. That seems like a no-brainer, I wonder what the hold-up is.

This is an excellent pick.

I was going to suggest two of my favourite movies, Flirting, by John Duigan, and The Station Agent, but realized that I CAN believe they're not available, as they're not mainstream films. I'm just really disappointed that they're not available.

Hazel Motes 12-27-20 05:16 AM

The last release for John Sayles "City of Hope" was VHS.

Also:

Over the Edge
Pump Up the Volume
What About Bob?

TomOpus 12-27-20 08:36 AM

Defending Your Life

dex14 12-27-20 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13863832)
Defending Your Life

Criterion is putting it out in March.

dsa_shea 12-27-20 09:28 AM

Dead Alive uncut version.

dex14 12-27-20 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13863845)
Dead Alive uncut version.

In the works.

Toddarino 12-27-20 10:26 AM

other than the ones that have already been listed.

Lethal Weapon extended cuts
the Warriors theatrical

tommyp007 12-27-20 09:00 PM

Bullets Over Broadway

story 12-27-20 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13863836)
Criterion is putting it out in March.

I am a big Albert Brooks fan and this is a favorite of mine. I think as a theological statement it's not for me but as a fascinating philosophical exercise, as a creative comedy, and as a sincere love story it fires on all cylinders. I'll be glad to pick this up and reture my old DVD that came in a snapper case!

rocket1312 12-27-20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007 (Post 13864126)
Bullets Over Broadway

This is available in various parts of Europe. In fact I just watched my Finnish (I think?) copy this past week. Still, this should be, along with Woody's other missing 90's and 2000's films, available in the US. Not going to hold my breath though.

Alan Smithee 12-28-20 04:02 AM

The Abyss and True Lies are probably the big ones. It’s a shame The Wall isn’t out either. Of course the original Star Wars movies should be too but at least there’s reasons for that.

PhantomStranger 12-28-20 04:15 PM

The Wall has its own issues because it's tied to Pink Floyd's disastrous management team. Gilmour and Waters have been in a petty feud the past few years. The studio wanted The Wall out on Blu-ray...in 2011.

Josh-da-man 12-28-20 05:11 PM

Yeah, The Abyss and True Lies are the gold standard here. I'm guessing Cameron has a lot say with how these titles are released, and can't be bothered to revisit them. The Abyssreally stings because it's a sci-fi classic that never even got a 16:9 DVD release.

Strange Days would be a good candidate for a release by Scream or Shout. As would Fire in the Sky, another decent cult sci-fi flick that would benefit from a 1080p release and the Scream treatment.

On the tv side, there's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. But considering the shoddy job Buffy the Vampire Slayer got when they remastered it to HD, I don't think I'd buy it unless re-remaster it.

And Babylon 5, but to do that properly they would need to remaster it and recreate all of the CGI in HD, which probably won't happen. Though there are rumors that they may put out upscaled SD masters on blu-ray in the near future. The old DVDs look so awful that I would consider getting them even without a full upgrade.

DeanoBKN 12-28-20 08:11 PM

As I look at my media rack, most of my remaining DVDs I own that I would love an upgrade for are from Paramount:

Blue Chips
Breakdown
The Gambler
Harlem Nights

Franchot 12-28-20 10:44 PM

There have been several European releases of Strange Days on Blu-ray.

milo bloom 12-29-20 01:28 PM

I don't think I want to re-visit True Lies, but I remember liking the heck out of The Abyss back in the day. I've considered picking up the "open matte" DVD version if I ever found a cheap copy as a holdover...

Along the lines of the TV cut of Superman 2, I'd also love a widescreen reconstruction of the Special Longer Version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It was done pan and scan for TV showings then later released on VHS (maybe LD?). It contains some great character moments that were left out of the theatrical and director's cut.

Also, regarding Buffy, would they go back and put the first few season back in 4x3 like Whedon wants? He said the widescreen transfers ruined a lot of scene compositions.

JoeyOhhhh 12-29-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13863757)

Quick Change is one of the earliest digital copies I purchased and it was all over for waiting for physical media at that point on

davidh777 12-29-20 02:02 PM

I watched True Lies a few months ago on HBO, and it didn’t really hold up. Some good action and nostalgia, but I don’t think I need to own it.

Questions like this need to be approached in a post-disc world. Mr Holland’s Opus would’ve been a good title for Twighlight Time, and I probably would’ve bought it, but now I have it on digital HD, and that’s perfectly fine. Other longtime holdouts such as Panic Room are also available digitally.