Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
re: MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

I apologize if I missed it in the article but is there a release date for this?

Reading through the article, I just get release dates for screenings of Jodorowsky's upcoming film and retrospective screenings.
Old 06-13-20, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I apologize if I missed it in the article but is there a release date for this?
ABKCO's website sez August 21st. The price tag looks like it'll be very reasonable too; $54.99 on their site. Diabolik is asking for a good bit more for the Arrow set.
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Split Second (1992) - 8/11/20

This release will be a collaboration between MVD & 101 Films. The original 101 Films transfer for this film was pretty bad so I'm glad MVD oversaw the new transfer.

Specs for MVD/MVD Rewind release of Split Second (1992)SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High Definition (1080p) presentation of the main feature in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, newly scanned, restored and color graded in 4K from the 35MM internegative
• Audio: 2.0 LPCM Stereo
• English Subtitles
• NEW! Audio Commentary by action film historian Mike Leeder and filmmaker Arne Venema
• NEW! “Great Big Bloody Guns!” Producer Laura Gregory & Actor Alastair (Neil) Duncan on Split Second (HD, 27:25)
• NEW! “Call Me Mr. Snips!” An Interview with Composer Stephen W. Parsons (HD, 22:21)
• NEW! “Stay In Line!” An Interview with Line Producer Laurie Borg (HD, 23:02)
• NEW! “More Blood!” An Interview with Creature Effects Designer Cliff Wallace (HD, 32:03)
• NEW! “Shoot Everything!” An Interview with Cinematographer Clive Tickner (HD, 18:57)
• Original 1992 Split Second “Making of” featurette that includes interviews with stars Rutger Hauer, Kim Cattrall, Alastair (Neil) Duncan, Michael J. Pollard, Writer Gary Scott Thompson and more! (SD, 6:26)
• Original 1992 behind the scenes featurette with effects creator Stephen Norrington, cast and crew (SD, 3:41)
• Split Second Japanese Cut, full frame with burnt-in Japanese subtitles (SD, 95:00)
• Deleted Scenes from the Japanese Cut (English, burnt-in Japanese subtitles) (SD, 4:42)
• 7 Promotional TV Clips (SD)
• U.S. VHS Home Video Promo (SD, 2:34)
• Theatrical Trailer (SD, 2:15)
• MVD EXCLUSIVE: Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Dude Designs created exclusively for this release
• Collectible Mini-Poster featuring original VHS style artwork
Excited to upgrade my old VHS of this. I have only ever seen the Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes release from MVD and that release is heavily error laden so I am a bit apprehensive but it's gotta be better than the VHS.
Old 06-13-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
ABKCO's website sez August 21st. The price tag looks like it'll be very reasonable too; $54.99 on their site. Diabolik is asking for a good bit more for the Arrow set.

My Amazon UK order is locked in at £53.23 shipped to me. I don't know how much ABKCO charges for shipping, but they also add sales tax. I also don't know if they charge you now or when it ships.
Old 06-13-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Excited to upgrade my old VHS of this. I have only ever seen the Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes release from MVD and that release is heavily error laden so I am a bit apprehensive but it's gotta be better than the VHS.
Hoping the new transfer is solid!

I haven't owned a copy of this film on any recent medium, mostly because of how shoddy all the worldwide releases were.
Old 06-13-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I have only ever seen the Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes release from MVD and that release is heavily error laden.
Fun fact! Nearly 25 years ago, I founded the first-ever Killer Tomatoes fansite.

What were the issues with their Attack BD? I haven’t seen it in a couple of years but remember being impressed by it. There always seems to be some footage in one version and not another, going back to the VHS days, but beyond that...
Old 06-13-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I might be interested in Split Second.

I remember watching the movie on HBO when I was a teenager, and don't remember much about it other than it seemed like a mash-up between Alien and Blade Runner. And Kim Cattrall getting menaced by the Gigeresque critter in the shower. Aside from that, I don't really remember the movie making much of an impact on me.

I do find myself hesitant to lay out $30-$40 for random b-movies from these boutique labels like Scream or Vestron.
Old 06-13-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Fun fact! Nearly 25 years ago, I founded the first-ever Killer Tomatoes fansite.

What were the issues with their Attack BD? I haven’t seen it in a couple of years but remember being impressed by it. There always seems to be some footage in one version and not another, going back to the VHS days, but beyond that...
I know, I read your review. Is it cached on the Internet archive?

I posted this over on the BR forum since there didn't seem to be much interest here but since you ask:

BR release is missing quite a few scenes from the theatrical version (it is in fact an unadvertised director's cut) and quite a few special features from the DVD. It also lists the wrong running time on the back of the box and spuriously lists that there are easter eggs which there are not. Not so say that it doesn't look amazing though.

More in-depth look:

Last edited by SterlingBen; 06-13-20 at 08:04 PM.
Adam Tyner (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I know, I read your review. Is it cached on the Internet archive?
It was, but not anymore. My ISP blocked spiders in their robots.txt file at some point and wiped out everything. And they’ve since gone under, so it’s gone for good. I think I have backups from some very early point on floppies.

I didn’t carefully compare extras before...doing whatever I did with the DVD. Maybe I gave it to a relative? Maybe it’s in cold storage? I’ll watch the video and see what I’m missing out on.
Old 06-13-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Light blurbs from Don May Jr. about the upcoming The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue release:

https://rue-morgue.com/exclusive-com...lbook-edition/
Adam Tyner (06-13-20)
Old 06-26-20, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

“THEY’RE NOT THERE TO SHOP. THEY’RE NOT THERE THERE TO WORK. THEY’RE JUST THERE.

Following the smash success of his first feature, Clerks, Kevin Smith returned with Mallrats. Spawning a raft of characters and in-jokes that Smith would carry throughout his career, the film continued the one-of-a-kind comedic world known as the View Askewniverse.

Simultaneously dumped by their girlfriends, comic book obsessive Brodie (Jason Lee) and best friend TS (Jeremy London) plan to ease the pain of their losses by taking take a trip to the local mall. Amongst shoppers, they discover the mall is being used as the venue for a dating show, in which TS’s girlfriend Brandi is the star. Hatching a plan to win back their significant others, Brodie and TS enlist the help of professional delinquents Jay and Silent Bob to hijack the gameshow in a bid to win back Brandi. Meanwhile, Brodie carries out his own mission to make good his relationship with Rene (Shannen Doherty), who has attracted the attentions of his nemesis Shannon (Ben Affleck).

Featuring a cast including Joey Lauren Adams, Ben Affleck, who would go on to be recurring collaborators in Smith’s movies, Mallrats celebrates its 25th Anniversary in this limited edition set boasting a brand new restoration and hours of bonus content.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new restoration by Arrow Films of both the Theatrical and Extended cuts of the film, approved by director Kevin Smith and cinematographer David Klein.

Newly assembled TV cut of the film featuring hilarious overdubbing to cover up profanity

High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations

Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Philip Kemp

Fold out poster featuring replica blueprints for ‘Operation Drive-by’ and ‘Operation Dark Knight’

DISC ONE – THEATRICAL AND EXTENDED CUTS

Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Audio commentary with director Kevin Smith, producer Scott Mosier, archivist Vincent Pereira, and actors Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, and Jason Mewes

Brand new introduction to the film by Kevin Smith

My Mallrat Memories – and all-new interview with Kevin Smith

A newly filmed tribute to producer Jim Jacks by Kevin Smith

Brand new interview with actor Jason Mewes

Brand new interview with Cinematographer David Klein

Hollywood of the North: A newly produced animated making-of documentary featuring Minnesota crew members who worked on the film

Deleted Scenes – Kevin Smith and Vincent Pereira discuss deleted scenes and sequences originally cut from the film

Outtakes and behind the scenes footage

Cast interviews from the original set

Erection of an Epic: The making of Mallrats – archival retrospective with cat and crew looking at the making and release of the film.

Q&A with Kevin Smith – archival Q&A filmed for the 10th anniversary

Build Me Up Buttercup music video

Stills galleries

Theatrical Trailer

DISC TWO – TV CUT

Newly assembled TV cut of the film featuring hilarious overdubbing to cover up profanity

Original stereo audio

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Brand new introduction to the TV cut by director Kevin Smith

Stills gallery of the comic books featured in the film’s opening sequence

Easter eggs ”

Adam Tyner (06-26-20)
Old 06-26-20, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Gwen and Trish the Dish don't rate an appearance on the cover, but straw hat guy does?
Old 06-26-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

The cover looks nice. Maybe I have grown out of Kevin Smith movies a little but I kind of wonder how many editions can he put out of all his 90s movies.
Old 06-26-20, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Gwen and Trish the Dish don't rate an appearance on the cover, but straw hat guy does?
"You don't know LaFours?"

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-26-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-26-20, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

OMG yes.

I haven't upgraded any of the other KS films, but I'll make an exception for this one.
Old 06-26-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-26-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-26-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Mallrats is the Kevin Smith film I enjoy the most. I may upgrade my Universal Blu-ray.
Old 06-27-20, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

A nice little hint from Facebook, a postcard for David Lynch's Dune in a recent Arrow release.

The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
Adam Tyner (06-27-20), Josh Z (06-28-20)
Old 06-29-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Happy about Split Second finally getting a HD release, and will probably be one of shockingly few blus that I buy. I think I have only bought something like 4-6 titles the past 12-18 months, maybe a bit more but yeah...I have almost completely stopped buying physical releases but a handful of films still catch my eye as ones I want to have in my collection. Split Second is one of those films I saw in theaters and always thought it would just be an abandoned title that gets ignored by the folks who put out HD films but I am glad that is not the case.
Old 07-02-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Same! Knowing Synapse's track record, this will probably be another solid release in their catalog.

Love the film as well. A friend introduced it to me a long while back via the Anchor Bay DVD and I've repeatedly upgraded it ever since

I'm glad one of my posts here actually helped someone!

Doing my best to post information here as I search it out.
Now I’m extra appreciative. The Django release has been canceled and recalled due to ongoing rights issues. I got my copy yesterday.
Old 07-02-20, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I was unfamiliar with Japanese ero guro films before seeing Inferno of Torture, a shockingly violent and perverse tale of tattooed geisha girls. Comes out Tuesday from Arrow Video in a passable transfer from Toei.

https://www.doblu.com/2020/07/01/inf...lu-ray-review/
Old 07-03-20, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I was unfamiliar with Japanese ero guro films before seeing Inferno of Torture, a shockingly violent and perverse tale of tattooed geisha girls. Comes out Tuesday from Arrow Video in a passable transfer from Toei.

https://www.doblu.com/2020/07/01/inf...lu-ray-review/
I've been looking forward to this release ever since it was announced.

Spent years tracking down the long out-of-print German DVD of the film. Ran into it only once on Ebay but passed on it because the price was a bit more than I wanted to pay at the time.

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Now I’m extra appreciative. The Django release has been canceled and recalled due to ongoing rights issues. I got my copy yesterday.
Glad you got your copy!

I helped TWO people!
Old 07-06-20, 02:06 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

iTunes has a huge Arrows Films sale. Almost the entire catalog is $2.99 each.

https://arrowfilms.com/news/camp-arr...l-sale-now-on/
Old 07-07-20, 07:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I am so reluctant to go in this thread bc all I buy and care about is Arrow. They put out much better quality everything than most distributors out there. It should still have its own fucking thread!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.